Rise of the Anointed!

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

kostasrag8

Re: Rise of the Anointed!

#31 Post by kostasrag8 »

thanks . good stuff

check this out

It does. We've been discussing that the Fireborn Special rule (which is what the armor confers) affects the model, not just the wearer.

So the dragon has that same rule. Even a chariot if your noble/prince is mounted on one. Hell, the flamespyre phoenix grants the ward save to the anointed, too.
Modessa

#32 Post by Modessa »

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, bit I think The Other Trickster's Shard forces you to Errol your own ward saves too, no? And if that's the case, thn it's probably not a good idea on the Phoenix and Annointed.
John Rainbow

#33 Post by John Rainbow »

Modessa wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned before, bit I think The Other Trickster's Shard forces you to Errol your own ward saves too, no? And if that's the case, thn it's probably not a good idea on the Phoenix and Annointed.
No it does not. It's all models in base contact, it does not include you. I think this is cleared up in the rulebook somewhere though I can't recall the page number. It might be in an FAQ though...
pk-ng

#34 Post by pk-ng »

After some pondering and reading Curu's and Seredain's army blogs I've made some revamps on my list. Would like to see what you guys think!

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix
Sword of Anti-Heroes
Dawnstone
Crown of Command
Enchanted Shield

BSB on Barded Elven
Star Lance
Dragonhelm
Potion of Foolhardiness
Luckstone
Heavy Armour
Great Weapon
Shield

Level 2 High Mage on Barded Steed
Dispel Scroll
Khaine's Ring of Fury

10x Silver Helms - Full Command
14x Archers - Musician
5x Ellyrian Reavers - Musician, Swap for Bows
5x Ellyrian Reavers - Musician, Swap for Bows

21x White Lions - Full Command, Banner of the World Dragon

8x Maidenguard
3x Repeater Bolt Thrower
1x Flamespyre Phoenix

Ok so got rid of the spears, eagle, shadow warriors, swordmasters and frostheart for Reavers, more archers, white lions, BotWD, extra RBT and Flamespyre.
I think it better because I've got a anchor unit that is really resilient to magic, shooting and a bit of war machine fire. The extra RBT gives more range threat especially to heavily armoured stuff and also monsters like DP and etc...
The Flamespyre Phoenix will help wither down any RnF unit and i maybe able to play it more aggressive. In the event it dies at least it'll create a no-go zone and have a chance of resurrecting.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
jamierk

#35 Post by jamierk »

Why not swap the Phoenix around. Having the annointed on the flame means a much better chance of resurrection and frees you up to use the frost Phoenix more tactically, I.e choose whether it is needed in a combo charge with the flame or perhaps use it elsewhere to tank something. Just a thought, and is very situationally dependent, but I like the chance (especially in tm games) of denying hard earned vps by the reborn rules.
jamierk

#36 Post by jamierk »

Another factor to think about is both Phoenix's are attuned to magic. 25% of the time they should get +1 s and 30% 4+ ward save. I think the flame Phoenix actually benefits a little more from those two items. Often there is little difference between s6 and s7 and t5 4+ ward save is not bad either.
Jerturion

#37 Post by Jerturion »

I might be mistaken, but I thought a great weapon only gives +2S when on foot and +1S when mounted? If that is the case, it might be better to give your BSB another weapon so that he might keep his rerolls from ASF?
"Let us return to the White Tower, there is still more that I can learn."
pk-ng

#38 Post by pk-ng »

jamierk wrote:Why not swap the Phoenix around. Having the annointed on the flame means a much better chance of resurrection and frees you up to use the frost Phoenix more tactically, I.e choose whether it is needed in a combo charge with the flame or perhaps use it elsewhere to tank something. Just a thought, and is very situationally dependent, but I like the chance (especially in tm games) of denying hard earned vps by the reborn rules.
jamierk wrote:Another factor to think about is both Phoenix's are attuned to magic. 25% of the time they should get +1 s and 30% 4+ ward save. I think the flame Phoenix actually benefits a little more from those two items. Often there is little difference between s6 and s7 and t5 4+ ward save is not bad either.
Valid points may consider this actually let me ponder more and figure out what i want.
Jerturion wrote:I might be mistaken, but I thought a great weapon only gives +2S when on foot and +1S when mounted? If that is the case, it might be better to give your BSB another weapon so that he might keep his rerolls from ASF?
+2 on foot and mounted. The only other weapon I can give him is the halberd but that's only S5 which doesn't really cut it. Minimum is S6 especially nowadays alot of armies can fields heavily armed units with +1/+2 AS and MC.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Malossar
Something Cool

#39 Post by Malossar »

Jerturion wrote:I might be mistaken, but I thought a great weapon only gives +2S when on foot and +1S when mounted? If that is the case, it might be better to give your BSB another weapon so that he might keep his rerolls from ASF?

They changed it in 8th! Nice throwback!
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
pk-ng

#40 Post by pk-ng »

After playing a couple of games over Universal Battle (thanks to Kosgas) I have prelimary thoughts about my army I used above.

Flamespyre Phoenix - it isn't greatin combat especially with 3 attacks it's really reliant on the thunderstomps to generate combar resolution. It's good point is it can stop flaming cannons and it's wake of fire is soso. But the ressurrection rule isn't that great as if you roll badly your general just dies....
Frostheart Phoenix - Solid. 4 attacks at S6 with thunderstomp is solid and his blizzard aura help alots with the attacks back and increases my armour save.
High Magic - overall not good for this list as it lacks combat buffs and the lore has a short range meaning I need to push my mage up. The lore attribute is great but will probably change to Heavens and see how it runs with this army.
White Lions - S6 is still good as ever but the lost of re-rolls just sux. I would rather have the old white lions. Re-roll > martial prowess. Not sure if I would like to change to Phoenix Guard for S4 AP attacks.
Maidenguard - Great small mobile unit. The lack of musician definitely hurts them.
Eagle Claw - Cheaper now but still hit and miss but the threat they produce is great. 3 RBT shot is great threat unit.
Anointed item combination - To be honest not that great. I tried giant blade and it was just great even though it's 3 attacks the phoenix can help out to finish the character and maybe produce some overkill.

Ok my revised list I would like to try the following:
Anointed on FHP - Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Potion of Foolhardiness
BSB on Barded Elven Steed - Star Lance, Dragon Helm, Greapon Weapon, Shield,Heavy Armour
Level 2 Heavens Mage on Elven Steed - Khaine's Ring of Fury, Dispel Scroll

Core - Same
Special - Same
Rare - Same but drop the Flamespyre for another Frostheart Phoenix.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Delaqure

#41 Post by Delaqure »

Like to see you using an annointed! It is one of the builds I have been considering!

Would you consider the following Annointed?
Blade of Leaping Gold
Ring of Fury
Enchanted Shield

The reason for this set up is it will give you many more attacks and 6's to wound (which wound anything) will ignore armor. With ASF rerolls and 6 attacks, you should be wounding and killing a few models. The 2+ AS is good.
The reason for the ring is to be able to do damage at range and it will boost your Annointed and Phoenix ward by 1. Giving the Annointed 3+ and Phoenix 4+. Pretty good if you ask me.

I was thinking along the lines of a Fire Phoenix flying over a unit with wake of fire, then landing and the Annointed blasting the same unit with the Ring. Could be a decent combo in my opinion. You lose the rerolls of AS, but this guy would be hard to kill. What do you think?
pk-ng

#42 Post by pk-ng »

@Delaqure - Won't go Blade of the Leaping Gold. I don't think it's that great and S4 just don't cut it. Yes 6s you ignore AS but what about other stuff with WS like DoC? Also the Ring of Fury could be useful but once I'm in combat I can't get that 3++ as it's a magic missile. If it was a direct damage that it may have merit. I've tried using the Flamesypre Phoenix before and to be honest I don't think it's great. Yes against RnF you get D6S4+D3 per rank hits but in combat the Frostheart is way better. 4S6 WS6 attacks. -1S, ASL. Its even great against elves.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#43 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I'm a fan of the Blade, I'm thinking for my prince, Blade, Potion, and crown. His 7 s4 attacks will hurt rank and file and if I get into a challenge with a character or a monster, pop the potion.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
pk-ng

#44 Post by pk-ng »

Game 1 - HE vs HE (Elessehta)
Ok my first Battle Report as I've forgot to save screenshots for my first few games on UB
Elessehta was kind enough to give me a quick game at 2400.

My army I thought
Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix - Ogre Blade, Dawnstone, The Other Trickster's Shard, Enchanted Shield
BSB on Barded Elven Steed - Star Lance, Dragonhelm, Potion of Foolhardiness, Luckstone
Level 2 Heavens Mages on Elven Steed - Khaine's Ring of Fury, Dispel Scroll

5x Reavers - Musician, Swap for Bows
5x Reavers - Muscian, Swap for Bows
15x Archers - Musicians
10x Silver Helms - FC

8x Dragon Princes - FC, Sword of Anti-heroes, Banner of the World Dragon

1x Frostheart Phoenix
8x Maidenguard
3x Eagle Claw.

His army as follows
Prince on Barded Elven Steed - Giant Blade, Dawnstone
Level 4 High Archmage - Book of Hoeth
Seahelm BSB - Reaver Bow

34x Sea Guard - FC
5x Reavers - Musician, Spears
5x Reavers - Musician, Bow

19x Swordmasters - FC, Lichebone Pennant
5x Dragon Princes - Musician
8x Dragon Princes - Full Command
5x Shadow Warriors

2x Eagle Claw
1x Great Eagle - ASF, AP

Deployment
For Elessehta West to East
Reavers with Spears Top
Dragon Princes
Eagle Claw
Dragon Princes with Prince
Sea Guard with BSB
Swordmasters
Eagle Claw
Shadow Warriors
Reavers with Bows

For Me West to East
Maidenguard
Anointed on Frostheart
Eagle Claw
Dragon Princes with Mage
Eagle Claw
Silver Helms with BSB
Eagle Claw
Archers
Frostheart
Reavers

Spells I had Harmonic and Thunderbolt
He had 0123 from high if i'm not mistaken :P
I win the roll to go first

Nothing special on T1, Just moved up aggressively and did some shooting. Thunderbolted his DPs on the left but he saved them all :/

Elehessta's T1, he charges my General and my western Reavers (with his Shadow Warriors and Reavers).
Magic isn't that fantastic he's gets 2 spells off.
Shooting he kills 2 Silverhelms
Combat my general only kill 1 DP and he holds. My Reavers fled off the board and his reavers pursues me.

I charge my DPs into his DPs and murdered them. My Frostheart Phoenix kills the Eagle Claw. I move my Archers into the house to prevent the SW from doing that same thing.
Magic nil
Shooting sees me chip off some DPs and kill off the other Eagle Claw

Nothing special in this turn. He charges the houses but I held. His Reavers charges my DPs but I held and won combat. He flees; I elect to reform to face his DP Bus

I charge his DP bus but he holds.
I shoot off the eagle and kill 1 reaver and some seaguard.
In combat I forgot my DPs had Banner of World Dragon so I accept his challenge with my General against his. He wounds my Phoenix but I win combat unfortunate he holds.

After this he called it.
So didn't get to play the full game. Liking the DPs so far as they can tag team with the General and support him and more importantly the unit has the mobility.
The Anointed isn't killing as much as I'd hope and it's troubling :/

Like to thank Elessehta for the game:)
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
pk-ng

#45 Post by pk-ng »

I had a game with Lkhero and his VCs.
Lets say I lost it in turn 2 as my general had failed his break test and didn't do any damage to his VC fighty lord.
Sad face :(
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#46 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Took me 15 minutes to adjust my list down for this and it wasn't great.
Phoenixes are tough to deal with! My DP's did the wound to the Annointed's mount, Ele fought the Annointed, it's how I roll ^_^
Knowing the MS rules now I'll be mounting my BSB up and having him join Ele.

I also saw how awesome phoenixes are, I need to buy a couple!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
pk-ng

#47 Post by pk-ng »

Hey Ele! Thanks for the game! Really appreciate it! It was a fun game!
Anyway I had a game against Dwarf ETC setup and all and I won!
I'll post up the details later :).
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#48 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I watched a bit of it, you seemed to be dominating ^_^
HERO

#49 Post by HERO »

pk-ng wrote:I had a game with Lkhero and his VCs.
Lets say I lost it in turn 2 as my general had failed his break test and didn't do any damage to his VC fighty lord.
Sad face :(
And imagine how bad I would of been of not for the lake!

That list that I took is my 8th Ed. VC list. It has a little bit of everything and 13 deploys. I think it's rock solid. Now if we remembered van hels re-rolls and vigor, the Lord combat would been even worse. Overall, as a HE player, I hate the hell out of RBTs and I refuse to run with a lone lv.2. For VC, scream at the unit without the banner and the results are always painful.

God I hate RBTs.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
pk-ng

#50 Post by pk-ng »

Game 2 - HE vs Dwarf (ETC)

So had another game vs Dwarf (panterq) and he brought this list

Dwarf Lord on Shieldbearers - S7, Can't be hurt more then S5, Re-roll armour saves
BSB - 1+ Armour save S5?
Rune Smith - Flaming attacks, Master Rune of Balance (Annulian Crystal)
Rune Smith - Flaming attacks, Dispel Scroll

21 Qaurellers - Musician
30 Hammers - FC, MR(3)
30 Longbeards - FC, Master Rune of Grungi

2 Cannons - (One flaming)
2 Organ Guns

Magic - Iceshard, Harmonics

Deployment
Deployment follows for him from West to East
Organ Gun
Quarellers
Organ Gun
Hammers with Lord and BSB
Cannon behind
Longbeards with two runesmith
Cannon behind

What I had was from West to East
Maidenguard
Archers
RBT
Silverhelms
RBT
Reavers
RBT
Reavers
General
Phoenix
Dragon Princes with BSB and mage.

My play was to use my main attack force to come down the eastern flank while my diversionary / support force came from the middle / west. Needed to silences those machine fast if my phoenixes were going to come into play.

So my opponent won the roll to go first and off we go!

Enemy Turn 1
So some movement on his part angling his to fighting units to aim for my main attack force.
Shooting surprisingly was very mild as I only lost 2 archers.

My Turn 1
As for my turn I moved up my main attack force to put pressure on him. As you can see I held my phoenixes.
Magic was non-existent
Shooting resulted in me killing 1 organ gun and wounding a cannon.
Not a bad start

Enemy Turn 2
For this turn 2 he uses his 2 main fighting force to block my reavers from charging his WM next turn.
His shooting does alot more damage panicing the Silver Helms and the Archers (after the Eagle claw got blown up)

My Turn 2
So I move my reavers on the eastern flank to block him from charging my knights but was also in range to shoot his wounded cannon. My other reavers zipped around his combat block and I angled it as to ensure that I would be able to charge either of the cannons.
My Helms and Archers rally.
M Dragon Princes were place in position so that they could charge the longbeards next turn (i didn't realised I place them too long to them)
In the shooting phase 1 cannon goes does!

Enemy Turn 3
In his turn he charges the block reavers and kills them and just makes it to the DPs!.
The Helms got blown off the table and his Hammers turn to face the threat to the east.

My Turn 3
I charged my Phoenix into the Longbeards to give assistance to the DPs.
I also charged the cannon with the Reavers and cause 1 wound but they held.
Some stunties were killed in the DP, Phoenix vs Longbeard fight.

Enemy Turn 4
In his turn he moves his Quarrellers up to be in range of some things to shoot at for his next turn
Surprisingly my Reavers killed the cannon crew and reformed to face the Organ Gun. Either I could charge him or redirect the Hammers as they were getting awfully close to my DPs.
The DP/Phoenix fight continues with me grinding away more stunties and my champ finally kills 1 runesmith.

My Turn 4
In my turn my general went into the fray to try and finish off the longbeards but those damn stubborn stunties just won't break!
My Reavers positioned themselves to block the Hammers from charging into that combat.

Enemy Turn 5
Sorry forgot to take picture
Essentially he reforms his Hammers to have a small frontage but more ranks
I finish off the longbeards with my general chasing down his remaining runesmith and my DPs and Phoenix decide to face the Hammers to beat up more stunties!

My Turn 5
I charge my DPs and Phoenix into the Hammers and flew my general behind them to get a rear charge next turn.
My shooting was some what amazing and I made the Quarrellers flee!
Combat sees me put 1 wound on his Lord and 1 one on his BSB. My champion dies in the challenge and the dwarves held.

Enemy Turn 6
In his final turn my Reavers got blown out by the organ gun and the grinding continues!
The Quarrellers keep on flleeing!

My Turn 6
In my last turn I charged my general in hoping grab 50% of the Hammer's unit but I didn't do enough damage.
My shooting was tragic that it didn't kill the 5 remaining Quarrellers

That was game and we tallied up the VPs and he got 520 while I got around 1480 even getting an underdog kill VP! (how many VPs is the underdog kill? I said 25 or 50 and we calculated 25). I think it was about a 16-4 win which I'm quite impressed. If I could of killed the quarrellers and more hammers might of been able to pull a 17-3!

As you can see I dropped the WLs in favour of DPs with Banner of the World Dragon and Sword of Anti-Heroes. This allows my unit to have more mobility at a cost of grinding power which I'm not sure if it is such a good idea. The re-rolls for the DPs were great but after the 1st round it was a hard S3 grind fest!
The Frostheart Phoenix is just great.
4S6 and Thunderstomp just shreds infantry and I definitely love them over the Flamespyre. Reduces the damage output on my elves which means less armours rolls which inter less deaths!
Eagle Claw werre a bit touch and go but they did provide long range threat and I'm not sure if I should keep them or maybe drop 1 for more sisters.
Sister in this game did jack shit all as they were just coming down the west flank to do some harassing shots. Their 24" really hurt them in this game but luckily I only have a small group of them to play with.
Heavens magic is golden and compliments this army well considering I have alot of 2+ armies. Iceshard it also great for the -1 to-hit which helps reduce the damage out on top of the aura.
So far loving this list but I need to figure out my special and see what each of our specialised unit can offer us.

Awaiting for come C&C :)
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
pk-ng

#51 Post by pk-ng »

Game 3 HE vs Daemons of Chaos
So my opponent for this game was called ChaosGuy and I'm not sure how to describe him. Before the game starts he goes "No Banner of the World Dragon please as I play Daemon of Chaos". Considering I lost my previous 2 Daemon of Chaos games I didn't think it was such a huge issue but I was happy to oblige and try something else. When I was figure out my army he promptly plonks 2 Skullcannons...and he was saying Banner of the World Dragon was bad?

My army for this game
Anointed on Frostheart - Ogre Blade, Dawnstone, The Other Trickster's Shard, Enchanted
BSB on Bard Elven Steed - Star Lance, Dragonhelm, Potion of Foolhardiness, Luckstone
Mage - Level 2, Heavens, Dispel Scroll, Khaine's Ring of Fury

14x Archers - Musician
10x Silver Helms - Full Command

21x Phoenix Guard - Full Command, Banner of Swiftness

8x Sisters of Avelorn
3x Eagle Claw
1x Frostheart Phoenix

His army was as follows
Bloodthrister of Khorne - Ether Blade (+D3 WS,S,I,A each combat phase), Breath weapon
BSB of Khorne - Multiwound (2), ASF Sword, Locus of Frenzy
Herald of Tzeentch - Locus, Metal, Level 2
Herald of Tzeentch - Tzeentch, Level 2, Some wand

40x Bloodletters of Khorne - Full Comand
25x Horrors - Standard Bearer

5x Flamers

1x Skullcannon of Khorne
1x Skullcannon of Khorne

For spells
Mage - Iceshard, Comet
Metal Herald - 0,4
Tzeentch Herald - 0,6

Deployment

So for deployment from West to East there was
Skullcannon
Bloodletters with BSB
Bloodthrister at the back
Skullcannon
Horrors with Heralds
Flamers

So we rolled for turn 1 and he gets it :(

ChaosGuy Turn 1
For his turn 1 he had minimial movement and he just blow my reavers and Silver Helms with magic and shooting.

My Turn 1
With my turn 1 I declared a charge with my single Reaver into his block of Bloodletters in order for my BSB Silver Helms to charge the Flamers. Wasn't sure if this was a good move but wanted to test what my units can and can't do so I took alot of risk which I shouldn't. I moved my PGs up aggressively to push him to charge me as I had positioned my General so that I would flank charge him.
I successfully casted Comet :).
My BSB Silver Helms lost some of their numbers to S&S but I beat the Flamers and overran into the block of Horrors which was my intention from the start. Wanted to minimise his magical abilities.

ChaosGuy Turn 2
In his turn he made the charge into my PGs and he charged his cannon into my BSB unit.
Nothing much happening in Magic.
He tried to shoot me but overshot.
In combat I chopped him up and I got rid of his frenzy!

My Turn 2
So for my turn 2 I charge my general into the flank of the Bloodletter / PG fight.
I completely chopped him up bad especially with the Thunderstomp coming into play.

ChaosGuy Turn 3
With his large unit of Horrors untangled he pushes it up to magic me to death and positions the Bloodthrister to counter charge me if I had charged Phoenix. Or flank charge my PGs (but it was a long charge) so I knew this combat was important.
After some magic and shooting my RBT, Archer and Mage got blown up
I wasn't able to finish off the Bloodletters :/

My Turn 3
In my turn I reposition the Frostheart Phoenix to rear charge the Horrors (which I figured isn't a good move because of the blue horror special rule.
Combat grinded down and the BSB was left standing after combat resolutions.

ChaosGuy Turn 4
He makes the long charge into the PGs

Anyway after it was a grind out but my PGs lost. He rolled 6,6 in turn 4/5? and got some bloodletters so I had to put my general into them. I eventually got my General into his BT but wasn't able to kill him but got the BT down to 1 wound and really fluff my rolls on the last turn which suxs.
If I had killed the BT I would of won the game but ohh well.

Loving this army and thinking about changing my Anointed setup to
Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix
Giant Blade
The Other Trickster's Shard
Enchanted Shield
Potion of Foolhardiness.
Reduce his defenses for extra strength to take down combat kings like the BT.

Good idea???
Last edited by pk-ng on Wed May 15, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
pk-ng

#52 Post by pk-ng »

I'm reviewing if I really should have Silver Helms in my list. 7 or so games I've played; half of them were using Metal....With so many armies having access to 1+/2+ armour save units is it wise to use the Silver Helms. At the moment I'm using the Silver Helms as a deliever system for my BSB to get some Star Lance action going.

What are your thoughts on this?
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
jamierk

#53 Post by jamierk »

My thoughts is use 8 of them with your backup caster, pushed to the second rank. They are not intended to be a front line combat block but can use speed and good armour save to keep the Mage where he needs to be. They can then be used to swing crucial combats, chase down fleeing units etc. I'd rather have my bsb in with dragons getting protection of their banner.
pk-ng

#54 Post by pk-ng »

Hmm my gripe with them is that they die easily to Searing Doom (as all Cavalry do) and I'm not sure how much value they can bring!
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Sackree

#55 Post by Sackree »

pk-ng wrote:Before the game starts he goes "No Banner of the World Dragon please as I play Daemon of Chaos". Considering I lost my previous 2 Daemon of Chaos games I didn't think it was such a huge issue but I was happy to oblige and try something else. When I was figure out my army he promptly plonks 2 Skullcannons...and he was saying Banner of the World Dragon was bad?
Typical daemon player thing to do. If it works against them it it's broken. If it is overpowered and undercosted it's fair play so they might as well bring 2.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
jamierk

#56 Post by jamierk »

pk-ng wrote:Hmm my gripe with them is that they die easily to Searing Doom (as all Cavalry do) and I'm not sure how much value they can bring!
Think of it this way, if the opponent is throwing dice at steering doom on my unit of 8 with mage, I don't have a huge amount of points in the unit, it's core points I had to spend anyway and while they are useful to the overall strategy they are not crucial to be kept alive. I'd rather that than final transmutation or dwellers on something I really care about!
pk-ng

#57 Post by pk-ng »

Game 4 - swietabarbara Empire (ETC)

So had a couple of games over UB over the weekend and his list is as follows

Archlecter on War Alter - Charmed Shield, Talisman of Preservation
Level 4 Light Mage - MR(3)
Level 1 Light Mage - Dispel Scroll
Level 1 Light Mage
Level 1 Light
BSB on Pegasus - Dawnstone, Biting Blading, Dragonhelm

40 Halbreds - FC
5 Knights
5 Knights
5 Knights

6x Demigrphs - Musician
2 Cannons

1 Steam Tank

So as you can see it's a very defensive list in which it shoots banishment and cannons at you and when things get soften up the DK just goes around stomping!

Deployment
For Deployment from West to East
Archlector with Cannon behind
Knights with Halbred bunker with all his other characters
Cannon
DKs
Knights
Steam Tank
Knights

Magic was as follows
Level 4 - 2,4,5,6
Level 1 with Scroll - 0
Level 1 - 0
Level 1 - 1

I got Iceshard and Comet

My Turn 1
So with my turn 1 I pushed up and formed a battle line with the impassable anchoring as the center. In the magic phase I was able to get comet off as seen in the red dot. For shooting I was able to kill off 1 cannon which is great!

swietabarbara Turn 1
Sorry forgot to take a screenshot
Movement see some 1 unit of knights move up for a follow up charge on the RBT.
In the magic phase comet doesn't land but he banishes 1 unit of reavers that were threatening his remaining cannon.

My Turn 2
I charged the knights that were infront of my Silver Helms and he elected to flee which resulted in him off the board.
In this turn I wasn't able to finish off killing the knights threatening my RBT but comet went off and killed the cannon and wounds the Archlector and finishes off the Cannon.
In my magic phase I was able to cast comet again.

swietabarbara Turn 2
In his turn 2 he charges his knights into the sisters and I elected to flee (wasn't sure if I did the right thing) and he redirected into the knights
His Steam Tank misfire whilst firing and does 3 wounds to himself. He shuffles some things around and magic wasn't "magical".
Combat sees me hold the knights! Imperial Steel my butt! :)

My turn 3
In this turn I push really aggressively using my Anointed to block the DKs and the other Phoenix comes into charge the Halbred block.
The BSB charges the Stank thinking I should win and with 3 wounds (with the golden crown) I'm able to tank his grinding attacks.
In magic comets goes off and does some wounds here and there and I IF'ed iceshard on the DK and my mage gets killed
Combat Knights vs RBT is a draw (lol)

swietabarbara turn 3
His turn 3 and my BSB gets grinded down (ohh there goes my plan). His Knights to the right flank charges my reavers and I was able to hold. His Stank misfires and cops 2 wounds which meant he had 2 wounds left.
Magic saw my phoenix getting 2 wounds for his troubles from banishment

My turn 4
In my turn 4 I charged my sisters into the flank of the Knights vs RBT fight hoping to break him through combat res!
My Anointed charges the Stank and finishes it off! The Helms charges the flank of the DK and was able to break them! WINNAH!
My phoenix got into the fight with the bunker unit but my WLs couldn't make the charge.

swietabarbara turn 4
In his turn 4 magic wasn't impressive by any stretch. Combat sees my phoenix dying and he turns to face my incoming onslaught.

My turn 5
This was the final turn. I charged my WLS into the Archlector and finishes it off.
The Anointed and Silver Helms charges into the halbred was able to stay.

We played his turn 5 but I held and in my turn 6 I would of been able to flank charge his block with the WLs and finish it off.
Final score would of been around
2405 - 765 = 1640
20-0 to me :)
Pretty happy with the result!
Any C&C are welcomed!
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
pk-ng

#58 Post by pk-ng »

Game 5 - atei Dark Elves (ETC)

For my 5th game I got a game against our dreaded cousins! His list was:

Dreadlord on Dragon - Soulrender, Armour of Darkness, Talisman of Preservation, Sea Dragon Cloak
BSB on Peg - Pendant of Khaeleath, Dawstone, Lance, Shield, Heacy Armour
Level 1 Metal Mage - Dispel Scroll, Guiding Eye

32x Repeater Crossbowmen - Musician, Shields
5x Dark Rider
5x Dark Rider
5x Dark Rider
5x Harpies
5x Harpies

Cold One Chariot
Cold One Chariot

War Hydra
War Hydra
Repeater Bolt Thrower
Repeater Bolt Thrower

So as you can see it's a fast army that gets "into your face" and quite scary especially with 2 Hydra and the Dragon with the BSB locking things up.

Magic
Level 1 Mage - Transmutation
Level 2 Heavens - Iceshard, Thunderbolt

Deployment
As you can see for my deployment I kept it centrally tight. My battle plan was to take down his supporting element asap and use my Sisters to take out his Hydra.

My Turn 1
I was lucky to get turn 1 and pushed my stuff up slight forming a steady battleline. On the East flank I charge down towards the RBT taking out some Dark Riders and hoping for a followup charge for my Ellyrian reavers.
I was able to draw out his scroll.

atei Turn 1
In his first turn he went balls to the wall and just shoved everything into my face. Notice his placement of the BSB was to stop his Dragonlord from "closing the door" which in very frown upon in the ETC.

My Turn 2
In my turn 2 I declared some charges. My Silver Helms cleared out the Hapries and overran into the Dragonlord.
My WLs munched on the lone Dark Rider and reformed to face the Dragonlord's flank for a turn 3 charge asssuming my Helms don't break in the next two turns.
Shooting sees the dragon taking 2 wounds and the Hydra taking 3 wounds.

atei Turn 2
He charges the reaver with his Hydra and they get munched for their troubles.
The wounded Hydra flanks the Silver Helms. BSB charges my Archers
Final Transmutation and shooting reduces the WLs to a pitful small good >_<
Combat sees me wound the dragon and the Hydra with me only losing 1 Silver Helm!
The BSB kills handful of Archers but I hold on steadfast.

My Turn 3
In my turn 3 I charged my General into the flank of the wounded Hydra and finishes him off. My Phoenix blocks the other Hydra as I wanted my shooting to kill/wound the beast.
Some what suprisingly I wound the Dragon and broke the Dragonlord and my Silver Helms chased it down and I only lose 1 Silver Helm! GO HELM POWER!

atei turn 3
Nothing much on his part only to block my Helms and move his chariots into flanking positions.
His BSB charges the much depleted WLs and kills the mage.

With the Dragonlord down and out as with the 2 Hydras he didn't have much left to counter me. He kills off the SH but I was able to finish off both his Chariots and all he had left was his BSB and the Repeater Crossbowmen.

C&C are much appreciated :)

Edit: Results 1928 - 1449 = 479 difference: 13-7 Win!
Last edited by pk-ng on Fri May 24, 2013 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Jimmy
Centurion

#59 Post by Jimmy »

Thanks for the reports pk-ng although I think you're too kind to your opponents. On the Daemon player I would have simply played another game, its a totally legal choice so why not especially when he drops dual skull cannons! :shock:

Are you sold on your list setup?
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
pk-ng

#60 Post by pk-ng »

Jimmy wrote:Thanks for the reports pk-ng although I think you're too kind to your opponents. On the Daemon player I would have simply played another game, its a totally legal choice so why not especially when he drops dual skull cannons! :shock:

Are you sold on your list setup?
Haha probably am. I tried playing him in another game a couple of days later. I just gave up after turn 2 or 3

As for my setup. I think I am.

Anointed
The Giant Blade is a must on the Anointed and so is the enchanted shield to give him the 2+
Some people have commented that the Flamespyre Phoenix maybe a better mount choice but I totally disagree. As I've sacrificed durability for offense the Frostheart Phoenix brings in some defense ability vs his -1S and ASL. Also the Frostheart Phoenix is WS6, S6, T6 and A4. The Frostheart Phoenix is better offensively in CC and overall defensively better. It's optimal mount for my build for the Anointed.

BSB
I love this setup. It gives him a very strong and long offensive punch and with alot of 1+ AS running around he's a very good counter to them. I've been reading Tethlis's Blog and found he's been having some success with the Reaver Bow + Potion of Strength combination. What I like about this is that is gives the Bow an extra punch for 1 round which can be devastating against 1+ (similar to no AS) and also with the high S it can punch through monsters quite easily compared to our S6 RBTs. It also keeps the BSB from harms way most of the time. I found that my BSB usually dies and I'm not sure if because the Silver Helm bunker isn't scary enough to force people to attack the unit rather than the BSB. Will need to think about it more.

Mage
Good solid setup. Some magic missile versus those pesky skirmishers that my BS shooting will have trouble with. I'm also running Heavens which is a good lore against gunlines (if I roll comet) and Iceshard Blizzard is ace!. -1 to hit just compliments well with Elves as we are not that durable. I love Iceshard, Harmonic, Thunderbolt and Comet - all very good spells.

Silver Helms
7 of them with full command is a good number to bunker my BSB and get him into combat. Most of the time people don't waste shooting at them as they have a 2+ AS and there is sufficient number that survives any range onslaught. Offensively in CC they've sucked hard and can barely generate any combat resolution....mainly because I usually get them to the charge at tough targets as my BSB can just kick ass :).

Archers
Good solid secondary bunker for my mage and good for clearing chaff. Can also be a secondary redirector.

Reaver
These guys are great also as good as Eagles and somethings even better. I'm sit learning how to use them especially feign flight and vanguard. I'm still not sure if I'm doing VG in a good way. Never used fast cavalry in my life so definitely something to learn as I play more games.

White Lions
Good solid block that can threat most units and it houses the all might Banner of the World Dragon. Coupled that they have Lion's Cloak, S6 and stubborn - not alot of people are willing to engage them head on as they are still threatening even thought they lost their re-rolls.

Frostheart Phoenix
As mention before in the Anointed section solid choice

Eagle Claw
I love them but also hate them. Sometimes they perform sometimes they don't. Just have to accept it. The range threat they create is golden and it deters and dictates some movement. Don't expect them to perform every game but when they do they make their points back.

Sisters of Avelorn
I love them so far. 8S4 (sometimes AP) with magical and flaming attacks is great for taking out things with regen and some T5 or T6 stuff like chariots. Ok granted they that won't actually take one out but at least they can soften them up for other targets to take out. Their 24" range and no musician is definitely an issue therefore I usually play them in a narrow frontage to get around this problem. If they have musician it would be sooooooooooooooooooooo much better as it gives them so much movement flexibility!
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board