Mals Blog- US Masters

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

pk-ng

Re: Reforged - Game 7 Empire (UB)

#61 Post by pk-ng »

Maybe a pricy investment but have you thought about adding Helm of Discord on your DP champion? Gives him +1 AS :)
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Malossar
Something Cool

Re: Reforged - Game 5 -- Hero's VC of DOOOMMM!!!

#62 Post by Malossar »

vladamex wrote:Hey Mal - looks like your DP bus is kicking some serious ass :) It would be great if you could post some pictures/screenshots, at least from the deployment and (if possible) a couple of "critical" shots of the game - they really add invaluable perspective to everyone who's interested in your exploits (myself included!)
Malossar Dragonborne wrote: BsB w. B. Steed, Dragon Armor, Star Lance, Shield, Great Weapon, Dragon Helm, Golden Crown - 176

2491pts. Little Change left over
One little idea here -> given that you are using Dragon Helm, you can fall back to Heavy Armor and save yourself 6 more points (if you're fine with forgoing the 6+ ward from the Dragon Armor).

This 6 points, combined with the 9 extra points you currently have, would give you nice 15 points to play with and buy yourself some new toys. Just a thought :)

Cheers!
Its an idea definitely but i'm wondering whether i would miss the ward save more than the 6 points?

What would i add with those 15 points?

I'm having trouble with the screenshot function on UB on my wife's macbook. I'll work on it again later.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Coradon Lorelian

Re: Reforged - Game 5 -- Hero's VC of DOOOMMM!!!

#63 Post by Coradon Lorelian »

Malossar Dragonborne wrote:
vladamex wrote:Hey Mal - looks like your DP bus is kicking some serious ass :) It would be great if you could post some pictures/screenshots, at least from the deployment and (if possible) a couple of "critical" shots of the game - they really add invaluable perspective to everyone who's interested in your exploits (myself included!)
Malossar Dragonborne wrote: BsB w. B. Steed, Dragon Armor, Star Lance, Shield, Great Weapon, Dragon Helm, Golden Crown - 176

2491pts. Little Change left over
One little idea here -> given that you are using Dragon Helm, you can fall back to Heavy Armor and save yourself 6 more points (if you're fine with forgoing the 6+ ward from the Dragon Armor).

This 6 points, combined with the 9 extra points you currently have, would give you nice 15 points to play with and buy yourself some new toys. Just a thought :)

Cheers!
Its an idea definitely but i'm wondering whether i would miss the ward save more than the 6 points?

What would i add with those 15 points?

I'm having trouble with the screenshot function on UB on my wife's macbook. I'll work on it again later.
I'd actually drop Dragon helm and the shield for enchanted shield but i wouldn't drop the helm unless you really want it for the armor save
Signature
Malossar
Something Cool

#64 Post by Malossar »

Its looking like with the 9 points i have left over i'll either add barding to the mage's steed or slap a dragon bane gem on him for giggles.

So the list before tomorrow's game at the store against VC!

Prince w. Dragon Armor, B. Steed, Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Potion of Foolhardiness - 282
Archmage Lvl 4, Khaine's Ring of Fury, Elven Steed, Dragon Bane Gem - 325 (Lore of High Magic)
Noble BsB w. Dragon Armor, B. Steed, Great Weapon, Shield, Star Lance, Dragonhelm, Golden Crown - 176

5x Reavers w. Bows and Spears - 95
5x Reavers w. Spears - 80
10x Silver Helms w. Full Command - 260

12x Dragon Princes w. Full Command, Banner of the World Dragon, Ogre Blade - 468

Frost Phoenix
Frost Phoenix
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Any final suggestions before tomorrow?
Malossar
Something Cool

#65 Post by Malossar »

Alrighty Game 8 time.

My List:

Prince w. Dragon Armor, B. Steed, Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Potion of Foolhardiness - 282
Archmage Lvl 4, Khaine's Ring of Fury, Elven Steed, Dragon Bane Gem - 325 (Lore of High Magic)
Noble BsB w. Dragon Armor, B. Steed, Great Weapon, Shield, Star Lance, Dragonhelm, Golden Crown - 176

10x Silver Helms w. Full Command - 260

12x Dragon Princes w. Full Command, Banner of the World Dragon, Ogre Blade - 468

Frost Phoenix
Frost Phoenix
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

My opponent:

Blender Vamp Lord Lvl 4 w. Sword of Anti Heroes and 1+ Armor, Tricksters Helm
Vamp Lvl 2 w. 1+ Armor and Night Shroud
Necro Lvl 2 Lore of Death on Steed

27x Skeletons
2x5 Wolves
40x Ghouls

12x Black Knights w. Full Command and Some kind of banner
5x Hexwraiths
5x Blood Knights
3x Vargiests
2x Spirit Hosts
2x Fell Bats

Pretty Straight forward game. We rolled meeting engagement and prepared to have an epic cavalry duel in the center. My Battle Standard started off the board, his Lvl 2, Blood Knights, Hexwraiths and Vargiests all started off.

spells:

Archmage - Drain, Apotheosis, Walk Between Worlds, Hand of Glory
Lvl 4 - Invocation, Hellish Vigour, Vanhels Danse Macbre, Wind of Undeath
Lvl 2 - Raise Dead, Invocation
Necro - Carress and Fate

Deployment:

I won the roll off and deployed my army on toward the back line waiting to see where the vampires would land. Vanguard saw him move into charge range with the wolves.

High Elf Turn 1:

So i charged with the silver helms and reavers to clear his chaff and got to work using my speed as my main advantage. I think the greatest strength of this list lies in the pure raw speed that tends to catch my opponents off guard where I'm suddenly nowhere near my original deployment zone.

Magic: Low dice phase with top dice being a 4 for +1 Attack on the phoenixes. However, this is where Lore of High Magic really shines, nickle and dime 3 spells through on one dice to drop that ward save. I get lucky with an IF on the Ring of Fury to pop his spirit host in the center of his battle line.

Shooting: Sees the Repeaters down a Fell Bat.

Combat: Clear the chaff and reform.

Vampire Turn 1:

Still recovering from that initial speed burst my opponent scrambles to protect his own cav bus by advancing the ghouls to feed the Dragon Princes. The Skeletons charge their redirector and a spirit host runs through the woods to tie up another reaver unit as well.

Hexwraiths drive by and deal a wound to the phoenix.

Magic: stopped

Combat:

Skeletons and Reavers trade blows and the reavers stand. The same occurs with the reavers fighting the spirit host.

High Elf Turn 2:

Phoenix counter charges the spirit host. Bus and other phoenix collide with the ghouls. I move the reavers into redirect mode on the black knight bus. Silver helms charge the flank of the skeletons tickling the reavers.

Magic: Drop the ward save to a 3+ and the phoenixes gain +1 Strength. Hand of Glory nets me +3 WS to the knight bus.

Shooting: Downs a Blood Knight. Reavers cut down the last fell bat.

Combat: The ghouls pop in one round with the bus and phoenix combining for over 20 kills. Phoenix kills the spirit host and overruns into the flank of the vargiests. Silver helms pop the skeletons and reform to make a move to the center.

Vampire Turn 2:

High Elf Failure! I got a little lazy and didn't triple check my reavers and his black knight bus is JUST able to squeeze by to charge my dragon princes!!!! Blood knights charge the flank of the phoenix.

Magic: He pushes through Danse and Hellish Vigour on his bus.

Combat: The Phoenix manages to down a black knight and a vargiest. I lose combat by 1! and still fail getting run down.
the big awesome combat of the Pride of Caledor squaring off against the might of the Vampires. That nightshroud is a b!tch! I couldn't believe how effective it was rendering all of my characters save BsB useless against those vampires. I fail to do a single wound and the Lord kills my champion. 2 other knights dies. We work out combat and i lose by 3. Starting to sweat a little I roll the dice and roll an 11! But the BsB lights a fire in the knights of Caledor and they hold.

High Elf Turn 3:

I declare a charge with the phoenix, reavers into the flank, and reavers into the rear of the knight bus.

Magic: Drop the ward to a 3+ once again. Phoenix gains a 4+ ward. Hand of Glory gives me another +2 WS.

Shooting: Drop all but 1 blood knight.

Combat: with the only combat in the center we get right to it. This time Caledorian steel is able to find its mark and I deal no less than 6 wounds on the dread black knights and lose 2 reavers in return! I win big popping the knights and placing a wound on each of the characters.

Vampire Turn 3:

Blood Knight standard charges the Repeater. Everything else shuffles and reforms to try and rescue their undead master from certain death!

Magic: Stopped! This was huge as he was unable to heal any of his characters.

Combat: My Prince still can't do anything with his ridiculous initiative and the night shroud rendering his blade useless. His Vampire kills the flanking and rear charging reavers. My BsB cuts down the necromancer which frees up the phoenix to squash his Lvl2 Vampire. I still lose combat but roll low on my steadfast leadership.

At this point the Vampire Lord is at 1 wound with a Str 7 prince and a pretty undisputed magic phase approaching my opponent calls it. He still lets Malossar roll his attacks and cuts down the Lord.

I Lost:

3x Reaver units
Phoenix
Bolt Thrower

He Lost:

Black Knight Bus
Lvl 2 Vamp
Necro
Ghouls
Skeletons
2x5 Wolves
Spirit Hosts
Hexwraiths from crumble

I would have easily been able to clean up the rest had we continued. Massacre to the high elves.

That nightshroud is tough! Almost cost me the game failing to place those reavers properly. Hand of Glory was huge making even his characters hit the princes on 4s and the knights hitting the Princes on 5s.

Thoughts? Feedback?
Atlantic

Re: Reforged - Game 8 -- VC with pics!

#66 Post by Atlantic »

Nice victory!

I don't have much to say about the game, but I noticed a few things.

1. Your Phoenix is black? Is that a basecoat or the paint job. I noticed the gray stripes on the feathers. I think it looks pretty sweet black if you leave it that way.

2. Blood Knights?! I've never seen anyone use those guys. Did he have the real models? Those things are crazy expensive.
Check out my blog!
http://redcrusaderbattlereports.wordpress.com/

[url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/22.jpg[/img][/url]
Ryhaleth

#67 Post by Ryhaleth »

Sweet report. Very interesting to read. I must say that those Ghouls got simply shredded...shocking almost.

What would be your best solution to Nightshroud? That seems brutal in general and especially so against "elf stats".

In the end you gave him a proper kicking, which is always nice. Having read you reports, I am now decided on going with painting up my cav list first and then maybe painting up the elite infantry list. Yeah, I still need to pay for the Phoenixes yet, had to make sure that the state of the book/army didn't turn me off from gaming for another 5-10 years.

Keep up the good work!
HERO

#68 Post by HERO »

Ryhaleth wrote:Sweet report. Very interesting to read. I must say that those Ghouls got simply shredded...shocking almost.

What would be your best solution to Nightshroud? That seems brutal in general and especially so against "elf stats".

In the end you gave him a proper kicking, which is always nice. Having read you reports, I am now decided on going with painting up my cav list first and then maybe painting up the elite infantry list. Yeah, I still need to pay for the Phoenixes yet, had to make sure that the state of the book/army didn't turn me off from gaming for another 5-10 years.

Keep up the good work!
There is no solution except to get rid of it via Arcane Unforging.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
Malossar
Something Cool

#69 Post by Malossar »

I couldn't do anything against that Nightshroud until the phoenix was able to get in base to base and Walk all over him.

Thanks for the feedback gents.

I'm still not sure the deathstar is the best possible way to run the all-cav army... I'll have to keep throwing list ideas around in the old noggin.
HERO

#70 Post by HERO »

Malossar Dragonborne wrote:I couldn't do anything against that Nightshroud until the phoenix was able to get in base to base and Walk all over him.

I'm still not sure the deathstar is the best possible way to run the all-cav army... I'll have to keep throwing list ideas around in the old noggin.
Ever since we played and I added the Wight King in my army vs HE. I lost yet vs. cav-based HE lists running the Prince. Nightshroud continues to crap over HE mechanics in 8th lol. When we played, I overlooked the magic weapon part... doh. I'm a old VC rust bucket!

Anyways, have you tried doing this? Use the core Silver Helms as a bus for your characters instead.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
Malossar
Something Cool

#71 Post by Malossar »

HERO wrote:
Malossar Dragonborne wrote:I couldn't do anything against that Nightshroud until the phoenix was able to get in base to base and Walk all over him.

Ever since we played and I added the Wight King in my army vs HE. I lost yet vs. cav-based HE lists running the Prince. Nightshroud continues to crap over HE mechanics in 8th lol. When we played, I overlooked the magic weapon part... doh. I'm a old VC rust bucket!

Anyways, have you tried doing this? Use the core Silver Helms as a bus for your characters instead.
Indeed. But once again we're back to looking at poorly protected characters or characters that don't hit hard enough without the Banner of the World Dragon. Plus a dragon Prince Champion with the Ogre Blade is basically a HERO (see what i did there? ;)) in himself with 3 str 5 rerolling attacks.

I'm currently pitching a couple ideas around in my head. Drop a phoenix add in maiden guard? Drop the Dragon Princes and add in some phoenix guard?

Maybe drop the magic all together and try out something like Ptolemy's doing?

I'd love some thoughts/advice on what you would do hero... and anyone else for that matter... the death star is probably the most boring aspect of such a fast and hard hitting army. I love my prince and would like to keep him...

I just miss my eagle!
HERO

#72 Post by HERO »

At this point, I'm willing to try something like this...
10 drops

LORDS:
Prince = 287
DP, +3S, EShield, Dawnstone, CoBeards

Lv.4 Archmage, Life = 285
Book of Hoeth, Golden Crown

HEROES:
BSB Noble = 170
DP, Star Lance/GW, Dragon Helm

CORE:
13x Silver Helms, Shields, FC = 329
14x Archers, Mus = 150
14x Archers, Mus = 150

SPECIAL:
33x White Lions, FC, BotWD = 509

RARE:
10x Sisters = 140
Frostheart Phoenix = 240
2x RBT = 140
Great Eagle = 50
Great Eagle = 50
Big infantry block, respectable magic, solid combat core with Prince/Noble bus, good shooting, 2 Eagles and a Frostheart. Looks to be pretty good.
Malossar
Something Cool

#73 Post by Malossar »

My take on Ptolemy's No Magic Monster list:

Anointed on Frost Phoenix w. Giant Blade, Dawn Stone, Enchanted Shield, Pot of Fools - 545

~Solid pick much better than the Leaping gold variant. I just read your comment on maybe trying the reaver bow and flame phoenix... just seems pretty expensive for killing light infantry with its flame wake and shooting. We should have nothing to fear from infantry blocks with all of our thunderstomps.

Heroes:

Noble w. Dragon Armor, Star Lance, Charmed Shield, Golden Crown, Halberd - 322
-Griffon w. Swooping Strike and Swift Sense

Noble w. Heavy Armor, Dragon Helm, Lance, Shield, Other Tricksters Shard- 302

I know an odd setup on the second noble, but i really think getting that swooping strike is the way to go rather than extra magical equipment. 5 attacks rerolling against most @ str 6 on the charge plus the nobles is pretty solid. And i know... no bsb! His griffon could probably lose the swooping strike and it not be a big deal since he has the star lance.

5x Reavers w. Bows and Spears
5x Reavers w. Spears
10x Silver Helms w. Full Command

Fits in nicely @ 625. 5 really fast units with one that can clear some small elite units, WoC chariots etc, while the reavers can redirect and get warmachines quickly.

6x Dragon Princes w. Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame - 224

The full command was to use up some of the extra points but really as my only good way to remove regen units without initiative testing magic, the points on the champ are well spent IMO. Plus since the Dragon Princes are ASF combining them with a phoenix should be pretty devastating to any regenerating monster.

Frost Phoenix
Frost Phoenix

Need I say more?

Let me know your thoughts?
Last edited by Malossar on Tue May 21, 2013 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stormie

#74 Post by Stormie »

One solution to Nightshroud is to focus attacks on the bearer with second (and third!) rank attacks, as it only affects models in base contact.
THRILLHELM

#75 Post by THRILLHELM »

Malossar Dragonborne wrote:My take on Ptolemy's No Magic Monster list:

Anointed on Frost Phoenix w. Giant Blade, Dawn Stone, Enchanted Shield, Pot of Fools - 545

~Solid pick much better than the Leaping gold variant. I just read your comment on maybe trying the reaver bow and flame phoenix... just seems pretty expensive for killing light infantry with its flame wake and shooting. We should have nothing to fear from infantry blocks with all of our thunderstomps.

Heroes:

Noble w. Dragon Armor, Star Lance, Charmed Shield, Golden Crown, Halberd - 322

Noble w. Heavy Armor, Dragon Helm, Lance, Shield, Other Tricksters Shard- 322

I know an odd setup on the second noble, but i really think getting that swooping strike is the way to go rather than extra magical equipment. 5 attacks rerolling against most @ str 6 on the charge plus the nobles is pretty solid. And i know... no bsb! His griffon could probably lose the swooping strike and it not be a big deal since he has the star lance.

5x Reavers w. Spears
10x Silver Helms w. Full Command

Fits in nicely @ 625. 5 really fast units with one that can clear some small elite units, WoC chariots etc, while the reavers can redirect and get warmachines quickly.

6x Dragon Princes w. Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame - 224

The full command was to use up some of the extra points but really as my only good way to remove regen units without initiative testing magic, the points on the champ are well spent IMO. Plus since the Dragon Princes are ASF combining them with a phoenix should be pretty devastating to any regenerating monster.

Frost Phoenix
Frost Phoenix

Need I say more?

Let me know your thoughts?
Loving the assessment as this style of list is the most inspiring to me at the moment, mostly because it's ballsy as all hell. Only issue is the nobles add up to 644, which is perfect if you're playing 2600 (which I will be in October so thanks for the dual combat build idea) but for smaller games something will have to be cut out. Loving the DPs because other than that there's no reliable way to fit something that can deal with regen into the list, I'll have to buy me a box... or run skycutters. Would you ever consider running a similar monster style list?
Fervent dragon addict and Australian warhammer enthusiast
@THR1LLHELM
Malossar
Something Cool

Re: Reforged - With Regards to Ptolemy -- New list.

#76 Post by Malossar »

Oops!! Second griffon noble is only 302. I'll edit.
THRILLHELM

#77 Post by THRILLHELM »

That makes more sense... And leaves enough room for a BSB upgrade at 2600. You have made my day :D
@THR1LLHELM
Malossar
Something Cool

#78 Post by Malossar »

So i'm still getting an invalid phototype when I attempt to upload my screenshots from Universal Battle. Does anyone know how to correct this?

Played a game against a super soft WoC army, rolled terrible the entire game and a little embarrassed I lost! Oh well! We'll recover and I should get a game tonight against a new foe! Hopefully an actual table top game against Brets sometime before thursday.
Malossar
Something Cool

#79 Post by Malossar »

The Return of the Eagle Prince. Again this is all props to Ptolemy. He gave me a stellar idea to try the flying circus and all credit goes to him for the original concept. I've now taken the idea and expanded upon it.

If you'll notice he has his second griffon rider armed with the reaver bow. I felt that this was a little wasted on such a powerful mount, but with an eagle I think its simply a sweet 50pt investment to grant my Reaver Bow flying. I've equipped him to be a little defensive against shooting but he won't last long against dedicated artillery. However, i'm hoping my opponent will have better things to shoot at other than him! And honestly, if he gets dropped, it really isn't the end of the world.

I decided to branch out and try this route after being pretty disappointed by the Anointed. He was cool, but maybe it was mostly dice, he just seemed to under perform.

Prince - 307
-Dragon Armor, Great Eagle (Shredding Talons), Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength, Shield of Ptolos, Opal Amulet, Lance
Archmage – 295 (Lore of Heavens)
-Lvl 4, Elven Steed, Book of Hoeth

Noble (BSB) -322
-Dragon Armor, Griffon (Swift Sense), Star Lance, Charmed Shield, Golden Crown, Halberd
Noble – 302
-Heavy Armor, Griffon (Swooping Strike, Swift Sense), Lance, Shield, Dragon Helm, The other Tricksters Shard

5x Reavers w. Bows and Spears – 95
10x Silver Helms w. Full Command – 260

5x Dragon Princes w. Standard, Banner of Eternal Flame - 165

Frost Phoenix
Frost Phoenix

I opted for Lore of Heavens to access some things that are lacking in the list: clear chaff, and some augments. However, i'm really open to any Lore Ideas so feel free to comment.

Let me know! I'm pretty excited (if you couldn't tell) and can't wait for some feedback. Oh and Shredding Talons on the Great Eagle for some oblative points i had lying around.
aurynn
Location: Looking for a lost Asur expedition somewhere in the Old World

Re: Reforged - Return of the Eagle Prince

#80 Post by aurynn »

I am very excited how this will work for you! I have just tried CC eagle prince with eagle AM (death) and griffon noble BSB, +L2 scrollcaddy. Rest in cav/chariots/RBTs. I thought that it will be just lulz list, but it performed incredibly well. I had my Skaven friend almost tabled turn 4. Prince was here and there, taking down gutter runners and adding to CR where needed (ended with 1W). The AM died of course, but in first two turns he "DaDed" general with stormvermin, sniped doomwheel, warplightning cannon and jezzails and with 1 wound remaining I just 6-diced a IF snipe on her wizard (he died, I survived). And as a final act of bravery I redirected with him. Have to say that with Skaven and Death Lore Attribute it is easy to generate LOTS of PD. He then died to shooting from that gatling. :-) After that it was just easy... 4 RBTs in multishot panicked stormvermin off the table, cleared enough swarms so my cav could blast them and overrun. Chariot died promptly, but I was glad that it was chariot and nothing else. :-) From turn 2 I just had my L2 spam convocation (I got off 2 with his wiz gone) and unforging.

Although I am afraid that had I not won the first round or against another army, it could be veeery difficult. :-)
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44814&p=804131#p804131]My personal PLOG[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45715]Lost Asur Expedition - army blog[/url]
[quote]"Well, hey, I didn't spend all those years playing Dungeons and Dragons and not learn a little something about courage."
- X-files, ep. Jose Chung's From Outer Space, Faulkner[/quote]
THRILLHELM

#81 Post by THRILLHELM »

Awesome way to sneak magic into a monster mash list! As for lores, heaven is a solid pick because of the sig but I feel in a flying circus using comet (one of the best spells in the lore imho) could potentially limit your mobility which is your biggest advantage. High wouldn't be a horrible choice considering he's on a horse, so the short ranges are less important, and convocation and apotheosis are great results for this list. That might be me still just wanting to give high a proper go for myself though.

Considering the mobility of the mage death wouldn't be a bad pick either I don't think and shadow could work well as well, withering/enfeebling letting you pick a target for your flyers to pick on.

Eagerly awaiting battle reports :)
@THR1LLHELM
Ptolemy

#82 Post by Ptolemy »

Very solid idea. Good job finding a way to keep your eagle prince, maintain the monster presence and gather up a level 4!

I do think you should grab a scroll instead of BoH by testing will determine that.

In this list, I really like Light more. The ability to bubble timewarp, speed of light or phas is huge. You also get access to a flaming magic missle to give you a way of handling regen monsters because I dont think the 5 DPs are up to the job.

Really nice idea.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
Malossar
Something Cool

#83 Post by Malossar »

Well I got my ass handed to me by Finreir yesterday. He played a great counter list and performed exceedingly well.

Lvl 4 with Book Lore of Heavens
BsB w. Reaver Bow Pot of Str

12x Archers w. Musc
12x Archers. W. Musc
3x5 Reavers w. Bows

28x Phoenix Guard
30x white Lions w. BoTWD

3x Repeaters

Turn 1 Finreir zaps my BsB with Urannons and on a luck roll kills both the griffon and his rider. I had to stop comet and didn't have enough dice for urannons.

Turn 2: Finreir drops a comet while redirecitng and forcing units to flee to stay around the comet on my turn.

Turn 3: Comet falls killing Archmage and Silver Helms and 2/4 reaver units. The other 2 are left at one memeber.

I got super lucky and killed his phoenix guard on a botched leadership check but man did he out play me! Finreir agreed that the prince performed admirably, killing 3x Bolt Throwers and a unit of reavers before falling to reaver fire even with T4 and a 1+ armor save!!!!!

Honestly though, i can see how Finreir placed 22nd at SCGT with a weak high elf book, he's a fantastic player that doesn't make mistakes and has his army already fine tuned to the perfect chord.

Oh well. I learned a lot great game Finreir it was a blast with crazy rolling both ways.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#84 Post by Curu Olannon »

Malossar Dragonborne wrote:The Return of the Eagle Prince. Again this is all props to Ptolemy. He gave me a stellar idea to try the flying circus and all credit goes to him for the original concept. I've now taken the idea and expanded upon it.

If you'll notice he has his second griffon rider armed with the reaver bow. I felt that this was a little wasted on such a powerful mount, but with an eagle I think its simply a sweet 50pt investment to grant my Reaver Bow flying. I've equipped him to be a little defensive against shooting but he won't last long against dedicated artillery. However, i'm hoping my opponent will have better things to shoot at other than him! And honestly, if he gets dropped, it really isn't the end of the world.

I decided to branch out and try this route after being pretty disappointed by the Anointed. He was cool, but maybe it was mostly dice, he just seemed to under perform.

Prince - 307
-Dragon Armor, Great Eagle (Shredding Talons), Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength, Shield of Ptolos, Opal Amulet, Lance
Archmage – 295 (Lore of Heavens)
-Lvl 4, Elven Steed, Book of Hoeth

Noble (BSB) -322
-Dragon Armor, Griffon (Swift Sense), Star Lance, Charmed Shield, Golden Crown, Halberd
Noble – 302
-Heavy Armor, Griffon (Swooping Strike, Swift Sense), Lance, Shield, Dragon Helm, The other Tricksters Shard

10x Silver Helms w. Full Command – 260

5x Dragon Princes w. Standard, Banner of Eternal Flame - 165

Frost Phoenix
Frost Phoenix

I opted for Lore of Heavens to access some things that are lacking in the list: clear chaff, and some augments. However, i'm really open to any Lore Ideas so feel free to comment.

Let me know! I'm pretty excited (if you couldn't tell) and can't wait for some feedback. Oh and Shredding Talons on the Great Eagle for some oblative points i had lying around.
It's a very fast list for sure. I'm having problems visualizing how it'll play in a number of different matchups though. Lists like finreir's definitely make you cry. This is somewhat similar to my WoC list, the main difference being that you don't have anything that can withstand punishment the same way my crushers / warriors can. Essentially, you charge in and if you don't have enough power to break stuff you're at a loss. This is indeed true for all HE monster mash lists. Lorewise I'd say Heavens is a good choice :)
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Malossar
Something Cool

#85 Post by Malossar »

thanks for the comments Curu. I'm wondering what you would suggest to help overcome those weaknesses?

New List:

Prince - 312
-Heavy Armor, Lion Cloak, Shield, Lance, Great Eagle
-Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength, Talisman of Preservation, Dragon Helm

Archmage - 305 (Lore of Heavens)
-Level 4, Book of Hoeth, Khaine’s Ring of Fury, Pigeon Plucker Pendant

Noble – 324
-Battle Standard, Griffon (Swiftsense), Star Lance, Charmed Shield, Golden Crown, Dragon Armor, Shield, Halberd

Noble – 297
-Griffon (Swooping Strike, Swiftsense), Heavy Armor, Lance, Shield, The Other Tricksters Shard, Dragon Bane Gem

5x Reavers w. Bow and Spear
5x Reavers w. Spear
10x Silver Helms w. FC

10x Shadow Warriors w. Champ - 150

Frost Phoenix
Frost Phoenix

Last edited by Malossar on Wed May 29, 2013 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
kostasrag8

Re: Mal's Eagle Prince Blog --- List Update

#86 Post by kostasrag8 »

Lore of death is better IMO since it covers weakness such as , ogres/trolls/crypt horrors, generally monstrous crap which cant be stomped to death and are resilient.

let alone the ld10 spirit leach

shadow does it as well.
Malossar
Something Cool

#87 Post by Malossar »

Game against Vampires! another UB game, so i'm still failing at uploading, against Kostas. He brought out his big boy list of his hardest Vampires:

Vamp Blender Lord w. Lvl 4, Night Shroud, 4+ Ward
Necro Lvl 2 (Scroll? Someone used a scroll haha)

40x Skeletons w. FC
40x Zombies
40x Zombies
3x5 Dire Wolves

8x Crypt Horrors
8x Crypt Horrors
8x Vargiests
Terrorgiest

My list:

Prince - 312
-Heavy Armor, Lion Cloak, Shield, Lance, Great Eagle
-Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength, Talisman of Preservation, Dragon Helm

Archmage - 305 (Lore of Heavens)
-Level 4, Book of Hoeth, Khaine’s Ring of Fury, Pigeon Plucker Pendant

Noble – 324
-Battle Standard, Griffon (Swiftsense), Star Lance, Charmed Shield, Golden Crown, Dragon Armor, Shield, Halberd

Noble – 297
-Griffon (Swooping Strike, Swiftsense), Heavy Armor, Lance, Shield, The Other Tricksters Shard, Dragon Bane Gem

5x Reavers w. Spear
10x Silver Helms w. FC

10x Shadow Warriors w. Champ w. Warrior Bane - 155

Frost Phoenix
Frost Phoenix

So again this is hard to do without the proper pictures so please bear with me. I failed magic hard core this game. I think i got 2 spells off the entire game!

At the end of the game, I had lost everything but the Frosties, Non BsB Griffon, and my Prince! The Prince did awesome, providing late charges and even putting 3 wounds from his bow on the Terrorgiest!

Kostas only had 8x Crypt Horrors left which resulted in a 15-5 victory for the high elves.
Atlantic

#88 Post by Atlantic »

How are the Shadow Warriors treating you?

I like them, but am scared off by the point cost.
Check out my blog!
http://redcrusaderbattlereports.wordpress.com/

[url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/22.jpg[/img][/url]
Malossar
Something Cool

#89 Post by Malossar »

Alright, Games tonight against Lizards, Empire, and most likely Skaven. I've yet to use a Loremaster so i thought it'd be fun to try!

And... I also thought he'd work well in a flying circus type list. I think an Archmage using either the Lore of Shadow or Heavens would probably be a better choice, but damn is the loremaster tempting.

Prince - 294
- Heavy Armor,Shield, Eagle
- ogre Blade, Dragon Helm, Talisman of Preservation

Loremaster - 330
- Book of Hoeth, Shield of the Merwyrm, Golden Crown, Sword of Might

Noble - 184
-Dragon Armor, Great Eagle, shield, halberd
-Star Lance, The Other Tricksters Shard, Pot of Fools

Noble - 211
- Dragon Armor, Lance, Battle Standard
- Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength, Charmed Shield

12x Archers w. Standard - 130
12x Archers w. Standard - 130

20x Phoenix Guard w. Full Command, Razor Standard - 375

Frost Phoenix
Bolt Thrower
Bolt Thrower
7x Sisters of Avelorn - 98

Seventh Kingdom

Re: Mal's Eagle Prince Blog --- Flying Circus and Loremaster!?

#90 Post by Seventh Kingdom »

Just an idea...
How about taking a banner of eternal flame and give the PG champ the gem of sunfire?
Since they will all have flaming attacks, then the +1 to wound might come in useful.
Might be better on dragon princes though.
" The nights grow long and yet evil never sleeps, and so neither can the champions of justice."
- Sir Keven, Champion of the lady