Mals Blog- US Masters

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: Mals Blog- Prepping for 2015... Avoidance MSU ETC take

#661 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Mal,

Could you please, elaborate more on the way you would like to use that force? I always find it important to know what is the context and reasoning for a player to pick particular characters/units/items etc.

You have 5 units to deploy with that army and while 3 of them can redeploy then it does not really give you the advantage of a MSU force, i.e. outdeploying the enemy. Your reavers can vangaurd but their positioning gives away the information where characters on steeds might be. What is more, once you add a hero to fast cavalry our troops lose their ability. I really don't understand why our characters cannot have fast cavalry rule while DE and WE can. But we have to live with it and that may be the issue.

Then you have 2 expensive scouting characters but only 8 Shadow Warriors. I think it presents a challenge because on one hand you want them to be close to the enemy but at the same time, even with their protective gear, they can be first target for magic missiles spells.

Each of the lord characters is also very expensive but despite their MR they are still quite fragile. I would love to see them in action, however, so I hope you will have some battle reports at some stage to show what they are capable of!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#662 Post by SpellArcher »

I feel 50% has a good chance of getting into the ETC but a lot of the captains will fight Special Characters tooth and nail.
Oranion

#663 Post by Oranion »

Hi Mal, I am a regular reader, but this is my first post on your blog. I love your creative list writing, and I am really surprised that your most recent list is almost identical to a seaguard themed army that I drafted a couple of months ago.

A couple things to consider:
- Mounting a seahelm on a skycutter can combine the perks of your skycutters and mundane eagle nobles by getting impact hits, but increase survivability with the 4+ ward against shooting. You lose a deployment drop, but it may save you enough points to buy an eagle, or even two, which your list dearly needs.

- My list uses a large block of seaguard, which deploy back to guard my bolt throwers, but their main role is psychological. They give my opponent something to march towards, which makes the job of the flying characters and chariots much easier. My opponent's main force is now very predictable, and if I use my chaff well, usually by turn 4 or 5 I have eliminated most of the enemy's chaff and now can get a nice juicy combo charge to grab a big win.

- Since reavers lose the fast cav ability when the AM joins them, why not replace one unit of reavers for helms? They will be a more resilient bodyguard for the mage, giving him the time to get into range for savage beasts.

I love how unconventional your list is, but I am curious about the function. I think you will need some form of ranks (probably archers) to provide a target for your enemy, because right now the number 1 target is the shadow warriors. Adding in a unit of infantry also gives Alith and your prince somewhere else to deploy if you need to, which is crucial to keep your opponent guessing.

I am excited to hear about any playtesting! Be sure to provide plenty of details on your opponents reaction to your army ;) No phoenixes, no flag, no 3+ guard, no cav prince. All of the usual suspects are gone!
Malossar
Something Cool

#664 Post by Malossar »

Back from Grail Quest. 3-2-1 finish and a 22nd placing overall for a top 1/3 finish in the field. It was what I was hoping for having moved to a new meta game. Also scored me an invite to a local club so I'm pretty happy with the result.

I will try my darndest to get some battle reports done but as always I tend to get too immersed in the game to stop and take pictures once the action starts flying!

To all my comments I have an updated list to present you. Its a little different but the same theme is there. Look forward to conversing with all of you about it.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#665 Post by SpellArcher »

Well played sir!

:)
Malossar
Something Cool

#666 Post by Malossar »

Prepping for the first Mid Atlantic US Masters event of 2015. Swedish comp 8-14 range bands. The avoidance take:

Prince w. Add Hand Weapon, White Lion Cloak, Shadow Armor, Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength, MR2 - 249 (-10)

Loremaster, Earthing Rod, Gem of Sunfire, Dragonbane Gem - 280 (-22)

Lvl 2 on Steed w. Scroll, High Magi, Ring of Fury - 180 (-15)
Battle Standard, Star Lance, Enchanted Shield, Golden Crown, Pot of Fools, Dragon Armor, Steed - 170 (-15)

12x Silver Helms w. Shields, Full Command - 306 (-13)
5x Reavers w. Bows and Spears - 95 (-4)
5x Reavers w. Bows and Spears - 95 (-6)
12x Archers w. Musician - 130 (-5)

9x Shadow Warriors - 126 (-6)
Skycutter w. Bolter (-4)
Skycutter w. Bolter (-4)
7x Dragon Princes w. FC, Razor Standard - 278 (-14)

10x Sisters of Avelorn - 140 (-8)
3x Bolt Throwers - 210 (-28)

Shooting: 58/40 (-18)
2499 12.3

Dragon Princes act as a shock unit. 7 with wyssans and razor average 3 dead demigryphs on the charge... Makes for a nice counter punch combat unit. I went back and forth on several units. First the skycutters. I considered bringing back the lion chariots to combine charge with the dragon princes for something really devastating but thought the extra unpenalized shooting might not be a bad bet. Finally the sisters. Are they straight up better than other units in their place or should I consider something else?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Mals Blog- Prepping for 2015... A new draft

#667 Post by SpellArcher »

It's interesting Mal.

What I wonder is: is the Loremaster a bit static compared to the other characters? Is he an element the enemy can target when the other stuff runs away?
Malossar
Something Cool

Re: Mals Blog- Prepping for 2015... A new draft

#668 Post by Malossar »

ETC time!

Disclaimer: I have no idea if this will work. In fact I'm almost 100% sure it won't but I can't wait to try it. Give me the small elite armies on the team and I'll house em!

The Shadow Host of Nagarythe:

Alith Anar - 250
Prince w. Add Hand Weapon, White Lion Cloak, Reaver Bow, Pot of Strength, Shadow Armor MR2 - 249
Loremaster w. Book, Gem of Sunfire - 305
BsB w. Heavy Armor, Shield, Banner of the World Dragon - 151

14x Archers w. FC - 170
5x Reavers, Musician - 90
5x Reavers, Musician - 90
5x Silver Helms w. Banner - 125
5x Silver Helms w. Banner - 125

9x Shadow Warriors - 126
9x Shadow Warriors - 126
7x Dragon Princes w. FC Razor Standard - 278

4x Bolt Throwers - 280

However compare that to my swedish list:

Prince w. Add Hand Weapon, White Lion Cloak, Reaver Bow, Pot of Strength, Shadow Armor MR2 - 249
Loremaster w. Book, Talisman of Preservation - 330
BsB w. Heavy Armor, Enchanted Shield, Lance, B. Steed, MR 3 - 170
Mage (High Magic) Lvl 2, Dispel Scroll, Horse - 155

13x Archers w. FC - 160
5x Reavers - 80
5x Reavers - 80
12x Silver Helms w. FC, Shields - 306

9x Shadow Warriors - 126
10x Sword Masters - 130
7x Dragon Princes w. FC Razor Standard - 278

3x Bolt Throwers - 210
Flamespyre Phoenix

2499. 12.0 on swed.

So let's compare.

Shooting:
List A: More shooting and more effective shooting. I pump 18 BS2, 14 BS 4, 3 str 5 BS 7, 1 STR 7 BS7 bolt thrower, 4x bolt throwers (I hit the 60 shooting cap perfectly)
List B: Only has 3 bolt throwers, 3str5 bs7, 9 bs5, 13 bs 4. Total shots: 44
Advantage A.

Magic:
List A: Loremaster w. Book, banner of the world dragon protection.
List B: Loremaster w. Book, lvl 2 w. scroll. Magic resistance.

Big difference here. List A loses the support wizard and the dispel scroll. However A also picks up the banner of the world dragon protection for the unit and also the characters hiding with the loremaster. I think this advantage is a toss up. Two lists with different approaches.

Combat:

List A: 7x Dragon Princes and 2 support helm units
List B: 7x Dragon Princes, 10x Swordmasters, Flamespyre Phoenix. I'm not including the helm block here because they're only going to charge in a pinch with important characters being bunkered in the unit...

Advantage: List B. The flamespyre really tips it in the favor the ability to thunderstomp is a nice boon. Otherwise I think its back to a toss up. In one practice game the swordmasters actually survived and were effective (they killed 2x10 horrors in the late game) and they're only a minor comp hit for the points.

Movement:

List A: 2 scouts, shooting for board control. negative zones with bolt throwers.2 units of fast cav.
List B: 1 scout, shooting for board control, negative zones with bolt throwers, 2 units of fast cav... pretty similar? Flamespyre Phoenix. I'm a little worried about List A being able to clear enough cheap infantry and big blocks (i hate skaven!) before i'm forced into action. The flamespyre really helps with the wake of fire and also being able to get back up. Plus its a flyer and can go lvl 4 hunting...

Who wins it? What're your opinions?
Browncastle

Re: Mals Blog- Comparing ETC and Swed Comp Lists.

#669 Post by Browncastle »

I like both lists, Its more or less Woodelves, with higher bs, but less magical shooting. Dragon Princes vs Wildriders can go both way, you can tank more shoots, but, cant get away as easilly. No sisters in a shooty army, well they die easilly enought. Ive had good times with em but most people rate them as a poor choise, but with 2 units of scouts and 2 units of reavers they should be able to do their job. Ive would drop the prince for an anointed, with crown, reaverbow, potion of strenght, in a big unit of Sisters, and go 3x5 shadow warriors, but thats just my take on a shooty avoidance. I look forward to see what you can do with this list.
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41281[/url]
Malossar
Something Cool

Re: Mals Blog- Comparing ETC and Swed Comp Lists.

#670 Post by Malossar »

ETC Game 1 against:

Keeper – Lvl 4 Shadow, lesser, greater – 555

HoN – BSB, palanquin, regen – 210
HoN – palanquin, greater – 190
HoT – Lvl 2 Metal – 125

31 plaguebearers – FC, swiftness – 448
11 Horrors – Banner – 153

3 Screamers – 120

4 Drones – 220
4 Drones – poison – 240
Skull cannon – 135

Total - 2396

I went ahead at Jwg20 (Gatti's) consitent nagging and made a video report. You can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcIzSxOwRsk

Thanks!
Malossar
Something Cool

Re: Mals Blog- ETC Draft Zero Game 1

#671 Post by Malossar »

Battle Report time!

Here's a link to the list and the reasons im taking it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzsFAV-WR78

Here's a link to the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KMCdebENVU
Malossar
Something Cool

Re: Mals Blog- ETC Draft Zero Game 1

#672 Post by Malossar »

Battle report time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwZTDizZpSg

My High Elves take on Grrn's lizardmen in a 12.0 - 12.6 swedish comp throw down. Will this lowly FOWL initiate be able to draw blood on the FOWL President? Find out!

(Thanks for reading :P )
John Rainbow

Re: Mals Blog- Colonial GT Prep, Gm 2 - Lizardmen

#673 Post by John Rainbow »

Nice work Mal. You played a good game to beat that list.

Is this really for the Colonial GT? I was under the impression it hadn't been announced yet? How'd you manage to get the inside scoop? Also, I might be attending...
Malossar
Something Cool

#674 Post by Malossar »

John Rainbow wrote:Nice work Mal. You played a good game to beat that list.

Is this really for the Colonial GT? I was under the impression it hadn't been announced yet? How'd you manage to get the inside scoop? Also, I might be attending...

Ahh there might be 2 colonials? This is the old Coastal carnage GT and its the first weekend in February.
John Rainbow

#675 Post by John Rainbow »

Ah yep. There's one in central PA (used to be in Princeton, NJ) next year too.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#676 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Mal,

Just wanted to stay that the reports are great, I will do my best to try and comment with more details at some stage. Please, keep up the good work and keep them coming! =D>

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Malossar
Something Cool

#677 Post by Malossar »

Colonial GT Prep Game 3:

High Elves vs. a 10.9 Orcs and Goblins Gunline! See how I fare: http://youtu.be/YfM8h9hqOHo

Thanks for watching.

Mal
Malossar
Something Cool

#678 Post by Malossar »

One day practice tournament tomorrow morning!

Prince [140] [General] (-14)
+Additional Hand Weapon [3]
+White Lion Cloak [6]
+Obsidian Amulet [30]
+Reaver Bow [25]
+Potion of Strength [20]
+Shadow Armor [25]
=249

Archmage [185] [High Magic] (-40)
+Elven Steed [20]
+Dispel Scroll [25]
+Level 4 [35]
+Iron Curse Icon [5]
+Obsidian Lodestone [45]
= 315

Noble [70] (-15)
+Dragon Armor [10]
+Enchanted Shield [5]
+Elven Steed [10]
- Barbing [5]
+Golden Crown [10]
+Star Lance [30]
+Battle Standard [25]
=165

Noble [70] (-8)
+Heavy Armor [4]
+Elven Steed [10]
- Barbing [5]
+Ogre Blade [40]
+Dragon Helm [10]
+Shield [2]
=141

12x Silver Helms [252] (-13)
+Shields [24]
+Full Command [30]
=306

12x Archers [120] (-5)
+Standard, Musician [20]
=140

5x Ellyrian Reavers [80] (-4)
+Musician [10]
= 90
5x Ellyrian Reavers [80] (-6)
+Musician [10]
=90

9x Shadow Warriors [126] (-6)
=126

24x Phoenix Guard [360] (-27)
+Full Command [30]
+Razor Standard [45]
=435

7x Dragon Princes [203] (-14)
+Standard Bearer, Musician [20]
+Banner of Eternal Flame [10]
=233

Repeater Bolt Thrower [70] (-7)
=70
Repeater Bolt Thrower [70] (-9)
=70
Repeater Bolt Thrower [70] (-12)
=70

Shooting: 43/40 (-3)
Total: 2500/2500
Swedish: 11.7

Wish me luck. Hernia surgery monday morning which means no warhammer for a while so I'm eager to get out and play some games before bed rest :(
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#679 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Mal,

Good luck with the operation. Fingers crossed the recovery will be smooth and quick! [-o<

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

John Rainbow

#680 Post by John Rainbow »

Yeah good luck Mal! I had the same op a while back - hopefully it all goes as smoothly as mine did and you're back in action soon! I have some pretty funny stories about mine - they knocked out my legs to do it and the first time I tried to stand up aftwrwards wasn't all that successful...

As for your list I like it a lot! It looks decenty powerful for Swedish. I've got an event that uses it coming up soon too. Only bit I don't like is the prince kit but I recognize it can be tough to get everything you might want and get an 11 or 12.

How are you running the princes btw? Are they the bus here?
teep

#681 Post by teep »

Good luck from me too, Mal - I hope everything will go smoothly and you're back on track soon. Also for selfish reasons, I might add since I'm a huge fan of your Channel.
Speaking of which, I somehow am not able to watch your two latest battles...I can only suspect my German account for being the problem, which would suck immensly cuz I don't see me moving anytime soon :wink: . Does anybody else have similar issues or any tips on what I might do to get back into the loop?
Malossar
Something Cool

#682 Post by Malossar »

well its over! :wink:

here's the lists I played against:

Game 1 : Empire 11.8

Lvl 3 Lore of Light d. scoll
Lvl 1 Lore of Light
Lvl 1 Lore of Light
Warrior Priest on Horse
Arch Lector w. Stuff
BsB w. White Cloak

45x Halberds
2x5 Archers
9x inner Circle knights
30x Flagallents

2x Great Cannons
2x5 Pistoliers
3x Demi Gryphs.

Game 2: Tomb Kings 12.7

Heirophant Lvl 4

Lvl 1 Light x 4!

3x5 Horse Archers
17x Archers
23x Archers
23x Archers
23x Archers

4x Necroknights w. Banners
Tomb Swarm

Heirotitan
Screaming Skullapult
Screaming Skullapult

Game 3: Dark Elves 10.5

Lvl 3 Life w. Scroll Ruby Ring
Dreadlord w. Cloak, Ogre Blade, Charmed shield on Peg

bsB w. a 1+, 5++
Death Hag on Cauldron

30+ witch elves
5x Dark Riders full kit
10x Xbows

5x harpies
24x Black Guard
Reaper Bolt Throwers

6x brolocks

How do you think i did in each match up and overall?
Last edited by Malossar on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Rainbow

#683 Post by John Rainbow »

I'm assuming this was an uncomped event as those lists look pretty rough compared to yours!
Malossar
Something Cool

#684 Post by Malossar »

Actually John it was a Swedish comp event with 8-14 band in place. I edited the post to reflect the comp score so you had a better picture of the modifiers.
Malossar
Something Cool

Re: Mals Blog- Huzzah One Day Tournament

#685 Post by Malossar »

Tournament Intro Video up! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E30WvZLOmWA

Game 1 rendering now!
teep

#686 Post by teep »

Nice vid Mal, even more so as I was actually able to watch it :) Any ideas what the problem might be with the two previous ones? Whenever I click on those, it just says "this vid is not available"...
Sorry for the spam, but that's what y'all get for "overlooking" my awesome posts :mrgreen:
Malossar
Something Cool

#687 Post by Malossar »

teep wrote:Nice vid Mal, even more so as I was actually able to watch it :) Any ideas what the problem might be with the two previous ones? Whenever I click on those, it just says "this vid is not available"...
Sorry for the spam, but that's what y'all get for "overlooking" my awesome posts :mrgreen:

Hey now drug addeled brain here ;) I have no idea what issue might be on youtube. Game 3 report had to be taken down because the audio file was corrupted and I forgot to save the actual video >.< Not sure about the other one though.

And Thank you so much for your encouragment on the channel. It makes me so unbelieavably happy and humbled to hear your words of support.

Joe
John Rainbow

#688 Post by John Rainbow »

Just watched the vid. You talk a good game with the Shadow Prince so I'm interested to see how he does. Hope you're doing well and looking forward to the next vid!
Malossar
Something Cool

#689 Post by Malossar »

John Rainbow wrote:Just watched the vid. You talk a good game with the Shadow Prince so I'm interested to see how he does. Hope you're doing well and looking forward to the next vid!

Game 1s already posted!
John Rainbow

#690 Post by John Rainbow »

Watching now...