Mals Blog- US Masters

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

John Rainbow

Re: Mals Blog- Huzzah One Day Tournament

#691 Post by John Rainbow »

Nice report and a good result. I think your opponent made some big mistakes in thinking about what his units could handle in CC and in escalating the game so quickly - you want to get to combat, he doesn't and you made him pay. Good work! I think your point about your own deployment were right on - caging yourself in on the flank could have been a bigger problem in some other games. It would also be good from time to time to show a couple of 'big picture' shots if you can just to help orient us viewers to the field of play. I like the style though so keep them coming!
Malossar
Something Cool

#692 Post by Malossar »

Yup I learned a lot. Especially about which pictures to take and when. I think an end of turn picture would be really helpful especially for me to collect my thoughts and recap the turn.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Malossar
Something Cool

#693 Post by Malossar »

While I'm working on compiling the pictures to do the next two battle reports and the wrap up video I'm working on another list that I thought I would share here before doing a full video analysis. I finally got into Colonial Carnage! Which is using 1.15.1 meaning 50% lords and heroes. Here's what I'm considering:

Prince - 249
- Reaver Bow
- Potion of Strength
- Shadow Armor
- Obisdian Amulet
- White Lion Cloak
- Add Hand Weapon

Loremaster of Hoeth 325
- Ogre Blade
- Earthing Rod
- Talisman of Endurance

Archmage - 290
- Level 4 High Magic
- Dispel Scroll
- Talisman of Preservation

Noble - 150
-Battle Standard
-Dragon Armor
-Sword of Anti Heroes
-Shield of the Merwrym

6x Silver Helms w. Shields, Banner - 148
5x Ellyrian Reavers w. Musician - 90
5x Ellyrian Reavers w. Musician - 90
12x Archers w. FC - 150

21x Phoenix Guard w. FC, Razor Standard - 390
12x White Lions w. Full Command, Swiftness - 171
9x Shadow Warriors - 126

2x Repeater Bolt Throwers - 140

2497/2500
Swedish = 13.0
Malossar
Something Cool

#694 Post by Malossar »

NOt much to do other than write lists all day so here you go! ETC Draft 2 list:

Alith Anar - 250

Prince - 249
-White Lion Cloak, Add Hand Weapon
-Reaver Bow, Pot of Str, Shadow Armor, MR 2

Archmage - 320
-Level 4 High Magic
- Book of Hoeth
- 4+ Ward

Noble - 157
-BsB
-Dragon Armor, Shield
-Banner of the World Dragon

Mage - 145
-Lvl 2 Lore of Metal
-Dispel Scroll

22x Archers w. FC - 250
6x silver Helms w. Shields, Banner - 148
5x Reavers - 80

9x Shadow Warriors - 126
9x Shadow Warriors - 126

10x Sisters of Avelorn - 140
4x Bolt Throwers -280

Last edited by Malossar on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arhain

#695 Post by Arhain »

Looking forward to your next report, as I believe it was against a league member.

Curious as to the reasoning behind breaking up your core in the new swedish list, the general formation of the WL unit, and character placement.
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"
[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z191/IronFistLeague/obsidian_order_b.png[/img]

[url=http://iflleague.s4.bizhat.com/index.php?mforum=iflleague]Northern Virginia Gaming[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=47961]Approach to Balance[/url]
Malossar
Something Cool

#696 Post by Malossar »

Arhain wrote:Looking forward to your next report, as I believe it was against a league member.

Curious as to the reasoning behind breaking up your core in the new swedish list, the general formation of the WL unit, and character placement.

Oh are you in CGL? I wasn't feeling super hot on saturday so I wasn't doing much socializing :(

Game 2 against Phil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK3PhnLvLnE

Great opponent! Find out more.
Arhain

#697 Post by Arhain »

Yes I'm in the CGL, and I appreciate the props to our league at the end of your video there!

Well played game, and having those openings on each flank for your reavers to take advantage of definitely hurt him. For your turn one fiery conv, did he have a scroll to use or did you IF it?

Would also still love your thinking behind the changes to your list.
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"
[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z191/IronFistLeague/obsidian_order_b.png[/img]

[url=http://iflleague.s4.bizhat.com/index.php?mforum=iflleague]Northern Virginia Gaming[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=47961]Approach to Balance[/url]
Malossar
Something Cool

#698 Post by Malossar »

Ah yes the list:

basically i'm adding in the white lions for some much needed str 6. I then thought to try and take advantage of the 50% cap increase so I added in a loremaster. I kept the shadow prince for giggles and with losing a bolt thrower a maligned shooting phase. I'm not sure if I'll actually run this list or another i'm working on:

Anointed on Flamespyre - 530
-Giant Blade, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone, Potion of Foolhardiness

Archmage - 290
-Level 4 Lore of High Magic
-Dispel Scroll
-Talisman of Preservation

Noble - 170
-BsB
-B. Steed, Dragon Armor, Shield
-Star Lance, Dragonhelm, Golden Crown

Noble - 139
-B. Steed, Heavy Armor
-Ogre Blade, Charmed Shield, Luckstone

Mage - 180
-Level 2 Lore of High Magic
-Elven Steed, MR3, Ironcurse Icon

12x Silver Helms w. FC, Shields - 306
5x Reavers w. Musician - 90
5x Reavers w. Musician - 90
12x Archers w. Stand, Musc - 140

23x Phoenix Guard w. FC, Razor Standard - 420

2x Bolt Throwers - 140

2497. 13.0 on swedish

This one's essentially a more combat point denial focused list than the one from Huzzah. I have been told to swap anointed for star dragon but I'm not feeling it. Basically the anointed is more survivable and with how awesome I do against cannons the ability to come back is such an amazing trait. I also think the anointed lends itself to the point denial swed comp scheme better anyway. If I play a 10.... i'm starting 300 points up! With an army that doesn't bleed points.
John Rainbow

#699 Post by John Rainbow »

Great game Mal. Not too much to say. A good result and you played well! Bring on game 3!
Malossar
Something Cool

#700 Post by Malossar »

John Rainbow wrote:Great game Mal. Not too much to say. A good result and you played well! Bring on game 3!

tomorrow when the vicodin kicks in... sitting is a bit of problem these days.
John Rainbow

#701 Post by John Rainbow »

Malossar wrote:tomorrow when the vicodin kicks in... sitting is a bit of problem these days.
That stuff messes you around! I hope you've already recorded the voiceover or we could be in for a weird one! I took them after my shoulder surgery but gave up after only taking one pill as they made me feel so weird.
Malossar
Something Cool

#702 Post by Malossar »

John Rainbow wrote:
Malossar wrote:tomorrow when the vicodin kicks in... sitting is a bit of problem these days.
That stuff messes you around! I hope you've already recorded the voiceover or we could be in for a weird one! I took them after my shoulder surgery but gave up after only taking one pill as they made me feel so weird.

Game 2 was done while I was on it.
John Rainbow

#703 Post by John Rainbow »

I'm glad to hear you're coping with it.

I've been liking the reports so far and they've been feeding into some other stuff I've been thinking about recently (writing a deployment article) as I think both of your opponents have got their deployment and early game moves wrong here. I think they have both deployed and played far too aggressively - something you have capitalized on. Like you said in the second game, you can throw your PG at whatever and expect them to win against TK. Your opponent made some mistakes in charging them and even getting near them. The catapult deployment was also really poor. He would have been much better served by castling up in a corner and should have realized that TK cannot take HE in CC.
Malossar
Something Cool

#704 Post by Malossar »

Indeed. We even spoke about it after the game. Although I crack a castle pretty well with the phoenix guard + bus. It was honestly a bad match up too, my list is just so much faster than his could possibly handle
Malossar
Something Cool

#705 Post by Malossar »

Malossar
Something Cool

#706 Post by Malossar »

Malossar
Something Cool

Re: Mals Blog- Colonial Carnage GT Results

#707 Post by Malossar »

Hey guys!

I'm back from the Colonial Carnage GT in Williamsburg, VA. Was a fantastic tournament in a really solid venue. I had a great time and played some really great guys.

Here's the list I ended up taking:

Prince = 640
+Star Dragon
+Heavy Armor
+White Lion Cloak
+Sword of Might
+Enchanted Shield
+Other Tricksters Shard
+Talisman of Preservation

Archmage, Lvl 4, Lore of High Magic = 310
+Fencer's Blades, Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Endurance

Noble, BsB = 155
+Dragon Armor, Sword of Anti Heroes, Shield of the Merywrym, Potion of Speed

20x Archers w. FC
6x Helms w. SHields, Standard Champ
6x Helms w. Shields Standard Champ
5x Reavers w. Champ

21x Phoenix Guard w. FC, Razor Standard

2x Bolt Throwers
Flamespyre.
12.1 on Swedish

My Match ups:

Game 1: Skaven (double WLC, Doomwheel skaven list from hell 9.3 Comp). Result: 18-2 Win

Game 2: Dark Elves (infantry combat list... Flamespyre killed 20 executioners in 2 flybyes! 12.4 Comp) Result: 20-0 Win

Game 3: Daemons of Chaos (jwg20 aka Gatti running mono khorne with double skullcannon. 13.6 comp) Result: 12-8 Loss

Game 4: Dwarfs (Double Cannon, Grudge Thrower, Organ Gun, unkillable dwarf lord, double spelleater absolute shit storm dwarf list from the pits of hell. I should have corner hammered but I
didn't pay to play at a tournament to do that! Although my opponent didn't move all game...) Result: 20-0 Loss #-o

Game 5: Ogre Kingdoms (iron blaster, non stubborn gut star) Result 20-0 Win

So that's 3 tables, one minor loss and one absolute smack down against dwarves. However the battle points were really close at the top tables and I ended with 66 battle. But having missed max paint scores by only a point, getting 4 best game votes and having a decent comp catapulted me to:

4th overall! Which was good enough for best high elves.

Link to result page: http://wargamersusa.com/showthread.php?tid=2816

EDIT: Battle reports will be posted to youtube!
Last edited by Malossar on Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arhain

Re: Mals Blog- Colonial Carnage Swed Comp GT Results

#708 Post by Arhain »

Nice meeting you bud. Nice to see we broke top 10. Looking forward to the upcoming reports for the games I couldn't see.
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#709 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Well done Mal! I see Gatti was just behind you so you definitely made your club proud! =D>

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
vespacian1

#710 Post by vespacian1 »

Have been considering a similar list for a tourney using Swedish in April. Great to see it perform well.

Did you have a flamespyre? I didn't see it in the army list, they are extremely Swedish efficient. Did you find the 21 pguard felt too small? What did our army comp at?

Looking forward to the bat reps.

-Vesp
Malossar
Something Cool

#711 Post by Malossar »

Battle reports are up on the channel! Here's a link to the first game : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdZPhCSzjV4
Malossar
Something Cool

#712 Post by Malossar »

So I feel bad. Mainly because I've neglected this blog for a long time though truth be told I've neglected this entire part of the forum for the better part of the year. Part of this is due to the fact that Gatti (jwg20) has pressed me into doing the youtube blog with him that I just don't have the time to update things here as well as in depth as I can on the channel. This also stems from the fact that it's much faster to record a video with me talking through points than it is to type it out and spell check and then upload pictures to imageshack and then to the forum. Finally, and this point should be taken with a grain of salt and know that I include myself in this, but as 8th edition winds down the army blogs have gotten stale in general. Our lists have moved to the cookie cutter and originality has taken a bit of a dive. Arhain and I spoke about this at length at Colonial Carnage and hearing his frustrations with blogosphere I realized that I was partly to blame for this and I will now extend my apologies to the role I've played.

I am sorry for being boring and will strive to do better in the future to offer refreshing list building and analysis. Honestly I'm really looking forward to 9th and seeing what that mess brings to the Warhammer world. An honest confession: I'm having more fun playing the craziness of endtimes than playing by the book warhammer. I know call me a heretic and throw a stone but give Khaine Magic, Stormfiends and crazy characters a chance! You'll probably have a fair bit of fun if you can step back and just enjoy the game, rather than trying to win.

Anyway that got a little off topic, if you're still with me, I promised to do a list analysis on what I took to colonial.

As always lets start with the list:

Prince = 640
+Star Dragon
+Heavy Armor
+White Lion Cloak
+Sword of Might
+Enchanted Shield
+Other Tricksters Shard
+Talisman of Preservation

Archmage, Lvl 4, Lore of High Magic = 310
+Fencer's Blades, Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Endurance

Noble, BsB = 155
+Dragon Armor, Sword of Anti Heroes, Shield of the Merywrym, Potion of Speed

20x Archers w. FC
6x Helms w. SHields, Standard Champ
6x Helms w. Shields Standard Champ
5x Reavers w. Champ

21x Phoenix Guard w. FC, Razor Standard

2x Bolt Throwers
Flamespyre.
12.1 on Swedish

It's a style that's becoming more and more prototypical of the Star Dragon build. One that's centered on a big block of unmovable phoenix guard and strong shooting support. However, I wanted to bring my flamespyre for no other reason than I really enjoyed the model I painted and hadn't taken an unmounted one in quite sometime.

Let there be no doubts that the Star dragon is still extremely powerful and a force to be reckoned with on the table. I mean my match ups were abysmal! 4/5 games saw me against cannons... 3 of those saw me matched up against double cannons. 2/5 had mobile cannons and one game had a doomwheel O.o I'm surprised I did as well as I was able given the match ups but I think that's more to do with the raw power of the dragon than any player ability.

High Archmage and Phoenix guard are a huge safety net. Its a nigh impossible to move unit and grinds extremely well for t3 elves its astounding. I only lost the unit in one game (I lost everything... damn dwarves and TLOS) and the unit itself racked up: Stormvermin unit + characters + slave bunkers, Executioner block, Corsair block, war hydra + characters. Soulgrinder + 2x5 fleshhounds (damn jwg20 wouldn't give me anything else to kill!). Ogre deathstar with character wall. That's one nasty unit and I've been running near identical builds since 6th edition (something about silent and deadly warriors that I loved).

Core setup: a bit clunky but got the job done overall. I'm moving more and more away from the reavers in upcoming builds and looking to expand on the archers. I was continually surprised how handy 20 shots were at plinking wounds here and there and even threatening warmachines.

Bolt throwers: I really wish I had a 3rd. Makes for much better field coverage and even better support but two did OK almost got the job done in every game.

Flamespyre: I've been mulling him over for quite sometime now on whether I would want to take him again. I can't say I would with the star dragon build, more shooting or dedicated combat support would have been much better in this list but he was really fun to have on the table. Plus he's the only way to net a second flying monster in swedish comp without being absolutely mauled in the comp score. Even while I type I'm leaning back to including him with the star dragon :lol:

So overall I'll give the list a B. Had some really bad match ups and I could've done a better job at maximizing my shooting potential rather than build the list in a cookie cutter way.

Look forward to the return of the Shadow Prince and some more MSU action. My next tournament is in two weeks and is 3k uncomped. I'm taking a very scary list and should do very well in the comp (or lack thereof rather) pack. After that there's a bit of a deadzone between events but I'm sure I'll find some one day events to fill my time until I fly back across country for Quake City Rumble in July.

That's all for now!!! Good dice rolls my friends!
Arhain

Re: Mals Blog- Colonial Carnage List analysis

#713 Post by Arhain »

You decided to go!? I guess I'll see you there! The club convinced me to go, plus the scenarios are ridiculous. Gonna be a fun event.
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"

Malossar
Something Cool

#714 Post by Malossar »

Arhain wrote:You decided to go!? I guess I'll see you there! The club convinced me to go, plus the scenarios are ridiculous. Gonna be a fun event.

I mean after brawlers the next tournament isn't until... July?
teep

#715 Post by teep »

Thanks for the write up, Mal! Could you go into a bit more detail regarding upping this particular list with
more shooting and dedicated combat support? Swapping the Bird for some Dragon Princes? Expanding a
helm dart and plunk an extra noble in there whilst filling up Rare with another bolter and an Eagle?
Or even a frostie? The latter is out for me atm due to comp reasons since I got the banner in my current list...
Malossar
Something Cool

#716 Post by Malossar »

Taking a frostheart in Swedish comp is hard. Taking a frostheart with a star dragon and still getting a decent comp score is damn near impossible!! Consider the frostie being a -40 on his own, second flying monster -4, and then a dragon is an additional -25!

I probably would have brought an extra bolt thrower and maybe some msu white lions to act as stubborn road blocks which would help tie down multiple blocks in close combat. Eagles are also hit pretty hard in swedish (for the points) but a unit of sisters might have been the ticket as well...
Andros123

#717 Post by Andros123 »

Hi Malossar.

I've been watching you and Kurions youtube channel for a while, and I really like it :). I come to understand that you are a huge fan of phoenix guards, as you literally take them in most games I've seen you play. On that note, I would like to ask a couple of questions, as I'm planning on bringing them to a tournament, with heavy comp (a bit like swedish, i would say), alongside some high magic of course.

1. What kind of unit(s) are bad matchups for them?

2. Doesn't the low strength concern you, or do you always have some other high strength stuff in your army? Usually high elves struggle with amour and both phoenix guards and high magic does not address this issue.

Finally what was your take on the flamespyre? Is 220 point to much for just flying around and being annoying?

And good luck at Brawlers by the way :wink: .
Malossar
Something Cool

#718 Post by Malossar »

Thanks for the response Andros123!

To answer your question:

Yes I almost always take a unit of phoenix guard. Mainly because I love the models and have been playing the unit for a very very long time. Also they're reliable and that's always helpful when you roll like I do! Having the 4++ ward save makes them a very tough unit, having a 3+ makes them almost impossible to shift.

Yes they struggle against armor, but the razor standard helps mitigate that somewhat. Also units with super heavy armor struggle against phoenix guard because of the ward save. They tend to simply outgrind the opposition and aim to win it on static. Fighting in 3 ranks, rerolling to hit and still wounding on a 4 sneaks enough wounds to grind through combat.

Assume fighting in a rank of 5. 16 phoenix guard attacks against 4 demigryphs. Phoenix Guard net roughly 14 hits after reroll. 7 wounds, of which 2.33 get through. Demis swing back with 12 attacks, 6 hit, 5 wound, resulting in 1.5 wounds. I then out static him with ranks and break his steadfast.

I'm working on a very.... interesting? list right now which focuses more on anti-armor and support but still features a phoenix guard anvil. Look forward to that list and those reports the next time I get to play in a swed comp tournament!

On the flamespyre phoenix. I'm not sure he's worth the 225 outside of a swedish meta. In swedish, big blocks of infantry tend to dominate the meta in terms of list building which gives him stuff to do. However, even in swedish opponents can take enough shooting which can render him useless pretty quickly.
Andros123

#719 Post by Andros123 »

Hi Malossar, and thank you for your quick response.

I just got back from a tournament, and I thought I would try out a big block of phoenix guards(21) with the razor standard. I also ran the loremaster in there with an ogre blade, which makes somewhat up for their weakness. I found that they have many more uses than a block of white lions (which I usually go for), simply because they can take the damage on their ward saves. In my last game I was able to rush a tomb king players line, because he simply didn't have a answer to those phoenix guards. I basically moved them straight up in front of 7 chariots and took the impact hits and destroyed them afterwards. Something whitelions nor swordmasters for that matter, wouldn't have been able to do.
However their were times where they needed that extra buff (fighting t5 guys), which made the option of casting spells like wyssans wildform amazing.
I ended up second at the tournament, and I must say the it was the phoenix guards I was most impressed by.
My army was basically:
Block of phoenix guards, archers, 2xreavers and silverhelm dart, 1 frost and 1 flame phoenix, loremaster and 2 lvl. 2 mages.

And on the flamespyre, I agree with you. While it was fun playing, I only brought it for comp reasons, but if I could I would have liked another frost Phoenixes instead :).
teep

#720 Post by teep »

@Mal:what happens at Brawler's stays at Brawler's? C'mon, man ,) Well, actually I have an idea about
whathappened, but I would like to know every savory detail on how things went down...

@Andros: that build sounds really fun, could you tell me me a bit more about the strategies going into it?
Like,what are the synergies, problems and insights related to that particular list?

Sorry, you guys - I'm just a very curious person I guess :D