Path To Glory - ETC All Games Up!

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

TheValheru

Re: Path To Glory - BR vs WE 26.10!

#1171 Post by TheValheru »

Curu Olannon wrote:
Shadow I would not rate that highly in such an aggressive build. Arcane Unforging is better vs Karl Franz and similarly stupid SCs. Shadow augments armies based on quantity over quality, something this list is not. To properly benefit from it, I think you need a more defensively oriented build.
Yes, very succinct. I have not yet play tested the list with Shadow and I think you just saved me the time.

Between High and Life -
For my money I think High takes the cheddar -
Whilst Apotheosis may be inferior to Lifebloom and a toughness boost assists both the Dragon and the CavBus in tough spots, I feel that the entire mentality behind Life magic to be rather negative. I think that High magic on the other hand, whilst maintaining Shield of Saphery, Drain Magic and Apotheosis for defense, offers an innately positive spell selection geared towards gaining favorable positions/match ups. Walk, Convocation, Unforgiving (and Hand to a lesser extent) I think are all ideal for mobile low model count armies such as the SD list.

The difficulty is that it lacks Dwellers or an equivalent and we are expecting the necessity for such a spell to increase following the recent FAQ. I think the question then becomes, what can we include to deal with the character buses now that we don't have Dwellers??? It is here that I get a bit stuck (I blame my noobness):

Double Prince in the bus and drop the lvl 4 for two level 2's? -
Loss of level 4 is far from ideal and if one Prince can't get the job done then it is likely that we're outmatched and two won't get the job done either. It is unlikely that we will be able to bring both Princes to bear on one opposing character if that would be favorable for us as they will simply issue a challenge.

I have basically got as far as deciding that the Giant Blade Cav Prince is probably now better with 5+ ward save plus High magic rather then the Dawnstone, and that is about it.

I really enjoy the Star Dragon list(s) and will be playing it for the foreseeable regardless but I feel that High magic is the most useful utility lore for it and greatly increases the lists potency but that without the big 'game changer' or 'character killer' the hard counters to the list become that much harder.

Disclaimer: all of the above is written on a handful of games "experience" with High Elves and I am happy to be corrected in my approach to said army.
sparkytrypod

#1172 Post by sparkytrypod »

Regarding karl franz, i dunno, i doubt many will bring him, especially as all chaos armys have cannons now, and would enough bolt trowers worry him, cant remember his T or W now, but he is an insane close combat machine and magic is a no go.
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Baleanoon

#1173 Post by Baleanoon »

T5 is very mediocre, even bolt throwers scare him.
I saw Karaz-a-Karak...and then I burned it to the ground.

Baleanoon and House Morhathel march once again for the Glory of Khaine and his chosen King.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1174 Post by SpellArcher »

Nice offer Curu! Sadly I don't think there's any way I'd be able to come.

I too zoned in on Karl Franz's T5 as the weak spot but isn't he 9 wounds and 4++?

Tough opponents at BSK! Bit surprised to see the Peg Lord in their DE list without a Ward.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1175 Post by Curu Olannon »

@TheValheru - High and Life are indeed very different. High is overall more flexible, but you can't argue with Flesh to Stone in this kind of list, really. When it comes through at an appropriate time, it just wins games. Of course the same is true for spells such as Apotheosis as well. We'll see, maybe I end up with High :)

@sparkytrypod - Cannons don't worry Karl Franz - he is the Emperor and he has his own cannons to shoot down enemy cannons with :D T5 W9.

@Baleanoon - Well. Scare and scare. The problem is that it's unlikely that we'll have tons of follow-up to score the remaining wounds needed and he has an artillery battery of his own to whittle down RBTs with.

@SpellArcher - Let me know if you take me up on it :) Accomodation here most certainly isn't cheap, going to Sheffield for me will be cheaper than any of the tournaments I've been to here in Norway save for the local ones :D The BSK DE list we face game 1 does not worry me in the least. Rumour has it the player is world class, but I know how that Dark Elf list plays so I feel confident going up against it. High Elves are a bit iffy for me and I would prefer not to OnG as it swings so heavily, but Dark Elves and Empire are good to go for me! High Elves and OnG are also playable, but Pit and WM spam + fanatics, respectively, makes life uneasy.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1176 Post by Curu Olannon »

Quick update, more to follow next week.

Game 1 I met Dennis, the Swedish ETC-player. I had a very good start but the dice were crazy both ways. He got back into the game and I overcommitted. I could've safed a 12-ish win, but ended up losing 9. Team overall did very well and we scored 38-42 against 4 Swedish ETC players (the world champion's!), a very good start for us.

Game 2 I met Bretonnians. Very iffy matchup, I ended up getting a few favourable combats and at the end I scored big points. No Falcon Horn (wtf?) gave me lots of flexibility. 16-4. We made a huge mistake in pairing however and ended up losing 2 matchups 20. Despite me going 16 then and rusty bringing home a 20, we lost 36-44.

Game 3 weak High Elf list. I told my team this was a 20 for me and I lost a great eagle. I scored 2675 VP in a 2400 match :D Team did very well, some poor luck on DE but solid play from DW and rusty bringing yet another 20. Capped out at 55-25.

Game 4 High Elf lifetrain. Almost identical to my deathtrain except for Life instead of Death. I managed a trap which eventually paid off and I combo-charged his bus with my own + SD. 20-0. Rest of the team played even-ish, so we won 49-31.

Last game is tomorrow. We are in the top 8 currently, sitting at 178 with the leader just above 200. Winning is impossible I believe, but a solid placement is still within reach if we perform well tomorrow (the team cap is 55 points/25 for losing).

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1177 Post by SpellArcher »

Good going sir, keep it up!

:)
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1178 Post by Curu Olannon »

Game 5: We draw Furion HE, 60 Hagbane + 30 Starfire WE, Skaven with double WLC, double Doomwheel, Dark Elves vanilla shooty avoidance. We have to avoid WE + DW at all costs, so send out DW. The idea is to trap them into countering with WE. By holding me (HE) back, WE counter is terrible for them. They put out Skaven, we counter with DoC + DE. They fall for the WE trap and send WE + HE back. I can easily play vs Furion's list as the Dragon is a nightmare for him, but I can also easily play vs WE as I have a secret trick. We thus go with our DW vs HE and me vs WE. They decide to play SK vs DE and DE vs DoC.

TL;DR - We cap them just barely, scoring 55BP across 5 games. This makes it very exciting as the top is extremely close, but unfortunately for us we are not the only ones making a huge win in the last game. We finish at 4th place with 233bp, 3rd place had 234 and 2nd place had 235. So close, but no cigar. Regardless, we had an amazing time and played 5 interesting games. Finishing 4th in such a tough field is also an accomplishment we're proud of, we brought our A-game and competed with some of the world's best players, which we nearly tied and possibly could've beaten (in fact, many of the Swedish ETC-players from this year finished below us).

More detailed reports will follow :)

Seal Club Clubbing Club will be back!

http://swfbr.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=8028

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1179 Post by SpellArcher »

Curu, is that your club's real name?

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1180 Post by Curu Olannon »

My club's real nome is '2d6'. Short and simple. The team we took to bsk was composed of people from different clubs (rusty and dark reaper live far away from me and strange), so the seal thingy was just a team name for fun ;)

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1181 Post by Curu Olannon »

.::. BSK 2014 - Introduction .::.

The Seal Club Clubbing Club, consisting of rusty, dark reaper, strange and yours truly, had been preparing for this tournament for months. We went through various lists and played dozens of games for playtesting, analyzed the meta and prepared ourselves for the pairing process.

From left to right: Strange, me, dark reaper, rusty. Photo taken right after game 5, you can tell we're quite exhausted!

We ended up taking High Elves with a Star Dragon, Dwarfs with double GT and double Cannon with a T10 W5 Lord, Daemons vanilla horrors + heralds and the super-powerful vanilla Dark Elves shooty-avoidance.

Going into the tournament, our general idea was to use the Star Dragon for what it's worth, trying to create favourable matchups for it. Put into other words, my job was to score big points in every single game.

After a 5 hour trip, we arrived in the town of Borås and the seals were ready to start their clubbing.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1182 Post by SpellArcher »

Strange 1-0 Rusty in the beard stakes!

I see the ETC AR have just posted a comp update, oddly silent on the 50%. When does it get voted on I wonder?
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1183 Post by Curu Olannon »

Strange's beard is by far the best any of us can muster. A fitting match given his army, eh? ;)

As for the new AR.com I don't understand half of the things they are suggesting. Will be interesting to see what captains think about this.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1184 Post by SpellArcher »

Good point! When Rusty picks up the Wolfen again I think he's morally obliged to turn up with more facial hair.

I fear Bryan was right and no-one will be happy. A bit surprised only Razon from the heavy comp countries put himself up for election. With these three guys they are going to get sonething a bit different, for sure.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1185 Post by Curu Olannon »

Our opening game saw us face off against the current world champions, 4 Swedish ETC players. They were also the defending champions of this team tournament, having won twice in a row. Determined to make the best of the situation, we decided to go balls to the wall and go for a big win here. We had nothing to lose, if we got beaten badly by the world's best that's hardly the end of our run, especially considering this was game 1, but we also had everything to win.

.::. Match Report - BSK #1 vs All The Kids Have a Gold Medal (ETC comp) .::.
Points Before the Game: 0/0

Our lists:
Daemons of Chaos (rusty)

Herald of Tzeentch: Level 2, Lore of Metal, General, 125
Herald of Tzeentch: Level 2, Lore of Metal, 125

10 Horrors: Musician, 140
4x 10 Horrors: 4x 130

4 Beasts of Nurgle: 240
2x 1 Beast of Nurgle: 2x 60
2x 5 Furies: 2x 60
2 Nurglings: 80
2x 5 Flesh Hounds: Ambush, 2x 165

4 Plague Drones: Champion, Standard Bearer, Gleaming Pennant, Plague Proboscis, 265
3 Plague Drones: Champion, Standard Bearer, Plague Proboscis, 200
Skullcannon: 135

Army Total: 2400

Dwarfs (strange)

Dwarf Lord: General, Shieldbearers, Shield, Master Rune of Adamant, Rune of Might, 313

Runesmith: Shield, Rune of Stone, 2x Rune of Spellbreaking, 113
Runesmith: Shield, Master Rune of Balance, Rune of Spellbreaking, 138
Thane: Battle Standard Bearer, Shield, Master Rune of Groth One-Eye, 168

25 Longbeards: FCG, Shields, Great Weapons, 3x Rune of Sanctuary, 450
10 Quarrelers: Veteran, Great Weapons, 150

Cannon: Rune of Forging, 145
Cannon: Rune of Forging, Rune of Burning, 150
Grudge Thrower: Rune of Forging, Rune of Accuracy, 130
Grudge Thrower: Rune of Forging, Rune of Accuracy, Rune of Penetrating, 170
2x 1 Gyrocopter: 2x 80

20 Irondrakes: Musician, 310

Army Total: 2397

Dark Elves (Dark Reaper)

Dreadlord on Dark Steed: General, Repeater Crossbow , Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Giant Blade, Dawn Stone, The Other Trickster`s Shard, 282
Supreme Sorceress: Level 4, Lore of Death, Dispel Scroll, Ring of Hotek, Ironcurse Icon, 300
Master on Dark Pegasus: Lance, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Cloak of Twilight, 188
Master on Dark Pegasus: Lance, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Battle Standard Bearer, Talisman of Preservation, Charmed Shield, 211
Master on Dark Pegasus: Lance, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Armour of Destiny, 184

5 Dark Riders: Repeater Crossbows, Shields, 100
10 Dark Riders: Repeater Crossbows, Shields, 200
24 Darkshards: FCG, Banner of the Eternal Flame, 328

5 Harpies: 75
4x 1 Reaper Bolt Thrower: 4x 70

2x 5 Doomfire Warlocks: 2x 125

Army total: 2398

High Elves (Olannon)

Prince on Star Dragon: General, Dragonhelm, Star Lance, Golden Crown of Atrazar, The Other Trickster`s Shard, Shield, 598
Noble on Ithilmar Barded Elven Steed: Battle Standard Bearer, Banner of the World Dragon, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance, 172
Noble on Ithilmar Barded Elven Steed: Enchanted Shield, Heavy Armour, Ogre Blade, 134
Mage on Elven Steed: Level 2, Lore of High Magic, Dispel Scroll, 155
Mage on Elven Steed: Level 2, Lore of High Magic, Ironcurse Icon, 135

17 Silver Helms: FCG, Shields, 421
5 Ellyrian Reavers: Champion, Bows (Swap), 95
5 Silver Helms: Champion, Musician, Shields, 135

3x 1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower: 3x 70
Frostheart Phoenix: 240
2x 1 Great Eagle: 2x 50

Army Total = 2395
Their lists:
High elves- Dennis Palmkvist

1 Archmage @ 300.0 Pts
General; Magic Level 4; Lore of Metal Book of
Hoeth Khaine's Ring of Fury
1 Archmage @ 260.0 Pts
Magic Level 4; Lore of Shadow Power Scroll
Ironcurse Icon
1 Mage @ 110.0 Pts
Magic Level 1; Lore of Shadow Dispel Scroll
1 Noble @ 146.0 Pts
2ndWeapon; heavy Armour; Battle Standard
Reaver Bow Potion of Strength
41 Archers Full command @ 440.0 Pts
5 Ellyrian Reavers @ 80.0 Pts
5 Ellyrian Reavers @ 80.0 Pts
28 White Lions of Chrace @ 444.0 Pts Full
command
Banner of the World Dragon
4*1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower @ 70.0 Pts
5 Sisters of Averlorn @ 70.0 Pts
10 Sisters of Averlorn @ 140.0 Pts

Orks and goblins- Marcus Engblom

Black ork Warboss: Dragonhelm,Talisman of
Preservation,Crown of Command 250
Savage ork Great Shaman LV4: Lucky Shrunken
Head, Fencers Blades 290
Savage ork Big Boss BSB: GW, Morks Spirit
Totem 204
Savage ork Shaman LV1: Dispell Scroll 95
Goblin Big Boss: Wolf, Light Armour, Charmed
Shield, Shrieking Blade, Dragonbanegem 69
21 Night Goblins 2 Fanatics, Shortbows 113
20 Night Goblins 2 Fanatics, Shortbows 110
34 Savage ork Big Unz, Second Choppa, FC 409
9 Troll 315
9 Troll 315
Rock Lobba 85
Rock Lobba 85
Doom Diver 80
Doom Diver 80

Empire- Erik Aronsson

Grand master, runefang, charmed shield, potion of
speed, dragonbane gem: 255
Battle wizard lord, lvl4, light, scroll of shielding,
obsidian amulet, crown of command, warhorse:
Captain, BSB, fullplate armour, warhorse, shield,
sword of might, luckstone, the other trickster's
shard, dragonhelm: 155
battle wizard, lvl1, light, dispel scroll, ironcurse
icon, warhorse: 107
14 Inner circle knights, FCG, standard of discipline:
5 Empire knights: 110
5 Empire knights: 110
5 Demigryphs, mus: 300
5 Demigryphs, mus: 300
1 Great cannon: 120
1 Steam tank: 250

Dark elves- Anders Gustavsson

1 Dreadlord on Dark Pegasus; Light Armour; Sea
Dragon Cloak, Giant Blade, Enchanted Shield, Dawn
Stone, Potion of Foolhardiness 293 pts
1 Dreadlord on Dark Pegasus; Heavy Armour; Sea
Dragon Cloak; Shield, Ogre Blade, Talisman of
Preservation, The Other Tricksters Shard 307 pts
1 Master on Dark Pegasus; Lance; Heavy Armour;
Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield; Battle Standard, Cloak of
Twilight 213 pts
1 Sorceress; Magic Level 2; Lore of Death, Ring of
Hotek 165 pts
1 Sorceress; Magic Level 2; Lore of Death, Dispel
Scroll 140 pts
5 Dark Riders; Spear; Rptr Crossbow; Light Armour;
Shield 100 pts
5 Dark Riders; Spear; Rptr Crossbow; Light Armour;
Shield 100 pts
5 Dark Riders; Spear; Light Armour; Shield 85 pts
23 Darkshards; Rptr Crossbow; Light Armour;
Standard; Musician, Banner of the Eternal Flame,
Guardmaster 316 pts
5 Harpies; 75 pts
5 Harpies; 75 pts
4*1 Reaper Bolt Thrower; 70 pts
5 Doomfire Warlocks; 125 pts
5 Doomfire Warlocks; 125 pts
Pairing

We wanted to steer High Elves into their High Elves or Dark Elves, preferably. Dark Elves are probably my best matchup here. OnG is too random, can go 15+ either way, and Empire is playable but likewise random. We also wanted to avoid DW vs HE, so we decided to put out our DW to trap them into countering with something like DE/HE, which would've allowed DW to play a safe game (the DE list is bad for pushing DW) while I would get what I consider to be a favourable matchup.

The plan -almost- worked. We got OnG and HE in return, so DW was left playing OnG. This is a risky matchup as 18 trolls and a savage orc bunker can tear apart Longbeards quite easily. Our DoC ended up facing their DE while our DE got their Empire.

Pre-battle thoughts and deployment:

Facing off Dennis would be a game to test my skills for sure. Looking at his army, I quickly decided I had to approach from a flank, but not too far away as this would allow Final Transmutation and his superior shooting to punish me with impunity. He also had one more drop than me, ensuring me +1 for first turn. The rest of the matchups deployed a LOT faster than us, it was clear that EMP-DE would be very drawish, DW would have a hard time and lastly DoC-DE could go anywhere with the insane mobility on both sides.

I was able to outdeploy Dennis, in my opinion. I had my RBTs targeting his openly, with me being in hard cover in return. I had the bus and monsters in a perfect position to mount a strong position from the center of the board and lastly he had 2 units on the wrong side of the table.

With +1 to go first, I won the roll-off and started my aggression.

:: Early Game ::

I re-deployed everything to the center as planned, intending to steamroll the flank and get his chaff + RBTs early. The big Archers would be my main goal for grabbing points, but this would come sooner than expected: An IF Fiery Convocation with me rolling well above average brought them down to 10 guys remaining - netting me half points from the get-go! I followed this up with a back-to-back IF boosted Walk on the Star Dragon and given the amazing start, I decided to go for the big, fat kill. I lined the Dragon up to be able to either charge an RBT and overrun into another or charge one and overrun off the table. This flexibility would allow me to adjust the situation, depending on his T1. Well, if you thought my dice were crazy, his was no less so. For his magic phase I had to let him cast Plague of Rust on the Dragon to contain the rest. Fiery burned up another 8 Archers, the last 2 panicked and I immediately saw 400+VP in my favour. Taking out a couple of RBTs would allow me a ~5-600 point victory, so all I had to do was sweep the West flank and stay clear of his magic. His shooting then opened up and between 4 RBTs and 10 Sisters, he managed an amazing 5 wounds on the Dragon as well as killing the Prince. This pretty much left my plan to commit fully in tatters as I simply had to withdraw the Dragon to preserve its 600VP worth.

Silver Helms charge his Reavers but I make a mistake of the tournament as I reform them so that his RBT is able to simply move outside of my charge arc. He also cast Final Transmutation on the bus with IF and although he rolled low to kill Helms, he killed off one of my mages. I then make the biggest mistake in the game as I commit the bus to the Sister bait, completely unnecessary. I was hoping for an opportunity to triple-charge the WL here with an Apotheosis-healed Dragon, but in all fairness it was a longshot to say the least. Besides, even though I had lost a mage -AND- he had rallied the Archers on snake eyes (saving ~200vp) I was still massively up and would be looking to get more points than him, most likely, with his RBTs more exposed. At this point I could've backed and probably won 12.

What ensued instead was that I killed the Sisters, but lost the entire bus and the BSB in doing so. He had an amazing turn of shooting and magic where he reduced my T to 2 and followed up with 15/18 RBT shots hitting, with ALL (!) of them wounding. I rolled terribly for armour saves and I just barely saved the last mage on a single wound with the Ironcurse Icon ward.

I then proceeded to use the Reavers to slingshot my mage to safety and sent everything I had gunning for the far corner. After my T6 the points were even for a 10-10, but his T6 saw his Potion of Strength Reaver Bow BSB kill the small Helms, earning him just enough points to claim the 11-9 win. So close, but no cigar. Lesson to be learned: Don't push when it's suicide to do so.

In the other games rusty lost 12-8 to DE after a couple of nooby mistakes, including basically giving away a unit of Flesh Hounds, Dark reaper lost 9-11 vs Empire with a STank left on 1W and strange did a wonderful job, aided in no small part by lady luck, holding back the OnG push and winning big points T6 for a 12-8 win. Tallying up then we were only barely beaten, 38-42 for the Seals. Considering the calibre of our opponents, we were happy with this result and our spirits were high before day number two.

Evaluation

Pushing against most High Elf lists is tricky. The Star Dragon is at an advantage, but with both Shadow and Metal there are many spells I fear and the firepower of this army is also enough to whittle me down to the point where I can no longer safely engage with the Dragon. With that said, this game had some crazy dice on both sides, so it's hard to properly evaluate the matchup. I believe the Star Dragon has a distinct advantage here, but it can easily turn both ways.

What cost me the game was my T2 combat reform with the bus: Having beaten the Reavers I failed to ensure the RBT was in my front arc as it could simply move past me, and in doing so I also opened myself up to falling for the Sisters bait - a noobish mistake. By holding back here and killing off the RBT, the game would've been mine and the overall match would've been ours. I am a bit disappointed that I made such a grave, tactical error, especially when the rest of the team performed admirably, but our overall result was respectable and I was determined to make better decisions for the rest of the tournament. While I was supposed to be in a position to score big points, safing a 12 is better than going for an impossible 16+.

Opponent Team Final Placing: 2/24
Our Points: 38/55

dennis p

Re: Path To Glory - BSK Match 1 Up

#1186 Post by dennis p »

Hi
It was a good game with alot of crazy things happened

My plan was to give you a chanse to push me so i deployed near the hill that you could use for cover- this because i had score more then 10 points and if i was sitting with just clear shots and alot of space you would hide the whole game. so with this deployment i could get you out in the open (sacrifice some points for doing this) But the plan was a little harder to do when the achers burned up turn one and the level 4 metal cascaded early in the game.
Nicene

#1187 Post by Nicene »

Some pretty amazing shooting. How many helms did you lose in one phase (when you lost the bus)?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
dennis p

#1188 Post by dennis p »

In one turn I killed
10 dilverhelms, 1 BSB and one wound on the level 2 mage (rest was killed by final trans the turn before when my mage cascaded) I had the rust on the silverhelms and lowered them to T 2 but still good shooting with 3 rbt in close range and one longrange
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1189 Post by Curu Olannon »

Hey Dennis, thanks for weighing in! The cascade I totally forgot about, if memory serves this was your T2 IF after I had killed the Reavers on the West. This is just another reason I should have backed off. Again, great game, I hope we get a rematch ;)

@Nicene - The shooting potential here is pretty huge. An interesting take on a bowline where the mages help counter matchups that are otherwise really tough. The irony of the Helms going down was that his RBT on the West which I had failed to deal with secret the killing blow.

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1190 Post by Curu Olannon »

On Saturday morning it was time for our second game. This time we were facing a Norwegian team composed of people from Bergen, including two of this year's ETC players. We had to get up early but we had a good night's sleep, so we were ready for a new day with another tough challenge.

.::. Match Report - BSK #2 vs Donkey Punch (ETC comp) .::.
Points Before the Game: 38/55

Our lists:
Daemons of Chaos (rusty)

4 Plague Drones: Champion, Standard Bearer, Gleaming Pennant, Plague Proboscis, 265

Dwarfs (strange)

Dwarf Lord: General, Shieldbearers, Shield, Master Rune of Adamant, Rune of Might, 313

Dark Elves (Dark Reaper)

Dreadlord on Dark Steed: General, Repeater Crossbow , Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Giant Blade, Dawn Stone, The Other Trickster`s Shard, 282
Supreme Sorceress: Level 4, Lore of Death, Dispel Scroll, Ring of Hotek, Ironcurse Icon, 300
Master on Dark Pegasus: Lance, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Cloak of Twilight, 188
Master on Dark Pegasus: Lance, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Battle Standard Bearer, Talisman of Preservation, Charmed Shield, 211

High Elves (Olannon)

Prince on Star Dragon: General, Dragonhelm, Star Lance, Golden Crown of Atrazar, The Other Trickster`s Shard, Shield, 598
Noble on Ithilmar Barded Elven Steed: Battle Standard Bearer, Banner of the World Dragon, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance, 172
Noble on Ithilmar Barded Elven Steed: Enchanted Shield, Heavy Armour, Ogre Blade, 134

Army Total = 2395
Their lists:
Hermund Vigerust Endresson Furu - DoC

Herald of Tzeentch, lvl2, Lore of Metal - 125 Pts.
Herald of Nurgle, Regen, BSB - 160 Pts.

12 Pink Horrors - 156 Pts.
31 Plaguebearers, M, S, C, Std. of Swiftness - 448 Pts.

3 Screamers - 120 Pts.
3 Screamers - 120 Pts.
3 Screamers - 120 Pts.
4 Beasts of Nurgle - 240 Pts.
3 Beasts of Nurgle - 180 Pts.
5 Chaosfuries, Mark of Tzeench - 70 Pts.
5 Chaosfuries 60 Pts.

5 Plague Drones, Poison upgrade - 300 Pts
5 Plague Drones, Poison upgrade - 300 Pts

Total: 2399

Lars Morten Thu - Bretonnia

Bretonnian Lord, General, Knights's Vow, Shield, Barded Warhorse, Virtue of Heroism, Sword of Swift Slaying, Dawnstone, Dragonhelm - 234 Pts.
Prophetess of the Lady, lvl4, Lore of the Beasts, Steed, Crown of Command, Scroll - 300 Pts.
Damsel of the Lady, Lore of the Beasts, Steed, The Silver Mirror - 120 Pts.
Paladin, BSB, Knights's Vow, Lance, Shield, Barded Warhorse, Gromril Great Helm - 110 Pts.
Paladin, Knights's Vow, Lance, Morning Star, Barded Warhorse, Virtue of Confidence, Gauntlet of the Duel, Dragonbane Gem, Enchanted Shield - 130 Pts.
3x Paladin, Knights's Vow, Lance, Morning Star, Shield, Barded Warhorse - 82 Pts.
11 Knights Errant, M, S, Std. of Swiftness - 256 Pts.
11 Knights Errant, M, S - 241 Pts.
11 Knights of the Realm, M, S, Standard of Discipline - 303 Pts.
2x 5 Mounted Yeomen, Shields - 80 Pts.
4 Pegasus Knights - 220 Pts.
2x Field Trebuchet - 90 Pts.

Total: 2500

Hallvard Haugen - VC

Vampire Lord, General, GW, HA, Talisman of Preservation, Nightshroud, Aura of Dark Majesty, Lore of Vampires - 346 Pts.
Necromancer Lord, lvl4, The Book of Arkhan, Lore of Death - 225 Pts.
Necromancer, lvl2, Scroll, Lore of Death - 125 Pts.
Necromancer, Obsidian Amulet, Scroll of Shielding, Lore of Vampires - 110 Pts.
2x Banshee - 95Pts
32 Skeleton Warriors, M, S, C, Std. of Swiftness - 205 Pts.
39 Crypt Ghouls, C - 400 Pts.
3x2 Fell Bats - 32 Pts.
10 Crypt Horrors - 380 Pts.
7 Vargheists - 322 Pts.
Total: 2399

Spellweaver: Scroll of Shielding; Moonstone of the Hidden Ways; Talisman of Preservation; Level 4 Wizard; Lore of High Magic; Asrai Longbow; Elven Steed 345

Glade Captain: Charmed Shield; Hail of Doom Arrow; Battle Standard; Great weapon; Elven Steed 149
Spellsinger: Dispell Scroll; Ruby Ring of Ruin; Level 2 Wizard; Lore of metal; Elven Steed 175

10 Glade Riders: Trueflight arrows; Musician 230
10 Glade Riders: Trueflight arrows; Musician 230
8 Glade Riders: Musician 162

7 Wild Riders: Banner of Eternal Flame; Shield; Standard Bearer 216
7 Wild Riders: Shield 196
7 Wild Riders: Shield 196

1 Great Eagle 50
1 Great Eagle 50
10 Waywatchers 200
10 Waywatchers 200

Total: 2 399 points
Pairing

In this matchup, I could play favourably against anything. At least that was our thinking. As such, we decided to go with High Elves as a counter instead of our usual approach. We absolutely did not want Dwarfs vs WE, so we chose strange's army as our first to control. They revealed Bretonnia as their output army and we countered with DoC + HE. In hindsight, I believe DE + HE might've been superior. Anyway, they countered our DW with VC + DoC. We ended up choosing DW vs VC and DE vs DoC. This would prove to be a huge mistake as the DE DoC matchup was very hard: The list is untraditional in the sense that it has a lot of pushing power and units and little magic and no cannon. VC DW also turned out to be a nightmare. By swapping these around, we would've been way better off. Our opponents also made a big mistake however as they paired HE vs BR, leaving our DoC to face their WE (!). This would certainly prove to be an interesting match.

Drawing Bretonnia means I have a few things to take care of. First of all, I need to beware of the Trebuchets and the Heroic Killing Blow Lord. Thankfully, he is not flying. Secondly, I need to pressure his Trebs somewhat. The typical Bretonnia deployment sees one in each corner. A unit of Helms/Reavers should suffice. With no Falcon Horn (half the reason this matchup is playable), my Dragon + Frostheart can do as they please. Lastly, the bus needs to take care not to get combo-charged as lances really hurt.

Our overall game plan here was again to go out aggressively, trying to get the big points. Thus, the knowledge of going first vs Bretonnia helped me deploy to this end. I had flyers on the flank ready to pressure him early, with the bus in a commanding, central position should he wheel to help out his flank. His HKB Lord was in the middle unit, so I had to somehow keep him away from the fighting on my terms.

With him praying, I went first.

The bus charged his vanguarding Pegasus Knights, which elected to flee. Dragon + Frost moved up outside of Treb LoS, the latter placing itself to taunt his closest Knights to charge. This would have several, favourable effects: At LD10 with re-roll, I woud probably be looking at an LD7/LD6 test with re-roll, roughly 70% chance to hold. This would allow my Star Dragon to counter-charge while also isolating his Lord away from the main fighting. If I broke, I'd still have a ~50-50 shot at escaping. Therefore, I was calculating a 1 in 6 chance of the bird dying, which is worth the risk seeing as if this panned out, I would basically just evaporate one lance for no cost.

Shooting took care of some chaff and killed a couple of Knights. In his turn, he charged said Phoenix. Trebs did nothing, Pegs unfortunately rallied (otherwise they would almost be out of the game). Phoenix unfortunately broke, but he failed to catch me.

Helms congalined to block his other lances out. Star Dragon counter-charged along with Reavers (champ to eat challenges). Walk on the Frostheart positioned it in a counter-charge position. Combat became a grind and he eliminated the conga'd Helms, unfortunately the random pursuit distance brought him towards my bus rather than crashing into his own block.

At this point I had a tough decision to make: How do I save the bus? In the end, I decided there was only one sensible thing to do: Sacrifice a mage. I chose the one with a scroll, seeing as I believe the most crucial magic phase would be coming up regardless and I wanted the Ironcurse Icon vs the Trebs.

Frostheart entered the central fray as well and I got IF Walk Between Worlds (spell selection was also a big part of why I chose the scroll mage for sacrificial duty, I had Apotheosis + Walk on the other guy) to get the bus away. My Eastern Eagle rear-charged his Peg Knights, I figured that with charge + rear, I had a decent chance of actually breaking him if I could just survive. The bird had no intention of surviving however. The central grind kept on going.

Pegs flank-charged my bus. This could get iffy. Magic saw the scroll come out. Trebs did little or nothing. In combat, the Peg Knights who had shown their value vs my Eagle completely fluked, I don't think I suffered a single casualty (perhaps 1). In return, I dealt a couple of wounds and won combat. He broke, I caught him, furthermore getting a very juicy flank charge on his last lance.

The Frostheart found itself out of combat due to Reavers + Dragon taking up all the available space. It moved away from the HKB bus and my Helms charged the last lance. In combat I won big, but elected not to pursue as I wanted the central unit instead: Complete with a L4, an L2, BSB and General.

In his turn he charged the Reavers. He killed them while the Star Dragon finally finished off the lance (I was challenged by cheap heroes for what seemed like forever). This left us in an awkward spot as my T5 was about to begin:

So basically, the HKB Lord was on the right corner. I wanted to triple-charge his unit, but with him being 3 wide and me being 5 wide, that would not be possible (bad call on my part not to reform the Helms accordingly). I thought about what to do for ages but could not come up with any good way to charge him. I was later discussing this situation with a few guys from 2d6 and it was suggested that I could've solo-charged out with the Ogre Blade Noble with the Frostheart on the left corner and the Star Dragon on the right. With Star Lance + ASL from Blizzard Aura and TOTS, the Lord would likely go down before getting to strike the Star Dragon. Even if he did get to strike it, he'd be looking at 4 attacks without re-rolls to hit, roughly 1/3 of a chance of killing blow.

Anyway, what I ended up doing was to sacrifice my last mage to block him, setting up for a T6 charge.

He solo-charged the Lord out, I fled, he caught me. He then spread everything out and left the bus to die.

I placed the Dragon to block his BSB, charged his lance and placed the Frostheart where it could not be seen by Trebs. RBTs, all 3 still alive and kicking, single-bolted his Lord to death. I killed off his lance and combat reformed Silver Helms to a congaline to ensure his Trebs would have a hard time getting half points for them.

In his T6 a boosted Amber Spear took out the Frostheart (it had taken one wound previously) and with that, the game was over. Counting up Victory Points, I was ahead by just enough to give the High Elves a 16-4 victory! On the other tables, things were not faring too well: Dark Elves were losing badly, looking like a 0-20, and Dwarfs were definitely losing 20. Rusty however was massacring Wood Elves left, right and center, keeping us in the fight. In the end, Dark Elves gave up all 20 points and Rusty wiped his opponent, leaving us with a 36-44 loss.

Evaluation

We screwed up in the pairing for this game, which cost us heavily. While DoC might not be a good matchup for Dwarfs, DE can play VC easier than 0-20, at the very least. Miscalculating the DoC - DE matchup basically cost us the game.

As for my own game, I have little experience vs Bretonnia and this shows. The Peg Knights proved to be a big pain and I struggled with all his characters keeping my Dragon busy, largely because I could not get the bus in. In hindsight I believe the monsters should be centrally deployed here, with the bus on an extreme flank. This makes it easier to protect it and isolate him.

T4, end of my turn, I should've combat reformed the Helms 3 wide to combo-charge him with all 3 heavy hitters T5. As it were, this was not the case but I probably still should've solo-charged the Ogre Blade Noble out seeing as I knew we were losing big on 2 tables. The odds of this move succeeding are quite good.

In the end, a 16 win here is decent and I was happy with it. His central and close treb placement allowed my monsters to remain unharmed throughout the game (although the SD took a couple of wounds from Amber Spear at one point). With more Bretonnia experience, this probably could've been a 20 game. However, the lack of Falcon Horn was what made this game possible in the first place.

Opponent Team Final Placing: 7/24
Our Points: 74/110

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1191 Post by Curu Olannon »

Before our second game, we had two marginal losses. Two in a row however meant we were starting to fall behind the strongest teams, and our third matchup was significantly easier than the games we had had thus far. Basically, we could tell from the armies available that pairing would be heavily in our favour regardless of what they would do. The only downside was that Strange would have to tank VC again, but this time with an army having way fewer elements that can successfully push hard against DW.

.::. Match Report - BSK #3 vs The Cool Gang (ETC comp) .::.
Points Before the Game: 74/110

Our lists:
Daemons of Chaos (rusty)

Dwarfs (strange)

Dark Elves (Dark Reaper)

High Elves (Olannon)

Army Total = 2395
Their lists:

Vampire Counts (2400p) - Rikard Söderberg
Vampire Lord: General; Ogre Blade; Talisman of Preservation; The Other Tricksters Shard; Aura Of Dark Majesty; Quickblood; Level 1; Lore of the Vampires; Shield; Heavy armour 384
Master Necromancer: Scepter of Stability; Level 4; Lore of the Vampires 215
Vampire: Seed of Rebirth; Enchanted Shield; Sword of Striking; Level 1; Lore of Death; Heavy armour 139
Necromancer: Dispel Scroll; Level 1; Lore of Death 90
Tomb Banshee 95
Tomb Banshee 95
60 Skeleton Warriors: Banner of Swiftness; Skeleton Champion; Musician; Standard bearer 345
21 Zombies: Musician 68
21 Zombies: Musician 68
5 Dire Wolves 40
5 Dire Wolves 40
5 Dire Wolves 40
8 Crypt Horrors 304
2 Fell Bats 32
Terrorgeist 225
Mortis Engine 220

Orcs & Goblins (2499p) - Christopher Pettersson
Black Orc Warboss: General; Armour of Destiny; Obsidian Lodestone; Shield 258
Savage Orc Great Shaman: Fencers Blades; Lucky Shrunken Head; Level 4; Lore of Da Big Waaagh! 290
Savage Orc Big Boss: Armour of Silvered Steel; Luckstone; Great weapon; Battle Standard 154
Savage Orc Shaman: Level 1; Lore of Da Big Waaagh!; Dispel Scroll 95
Goblin Big Boss: Dragonbane Gem; Enchanted Shield; Light Armour; Spear; Giant Wolf 61
Goblin Big Boss: Charmed Shield; Light Armour; Spear; Giant Wolf 56
Goblin Big Boss: Light Armour; Spear; Shield; Giant Wolf 53
37 Savage Orcs: Additional hand weapon; Big 'Uns; Savage Orc Boss; Musician; Standard Bearer 442
60 Night Goblins: Netters; Musician; Standard Bearer 245
9 Trolls 315
1 Trolls 35
1 Trolls 35
Goblin Rock Lobber 85
Goblin Rock Lobber 85
Doom Diver Catapult 80
Doom Diver Catapult 80
Mangler Squigs 65
Mangler Squigs 65

Warriors of Chaos (2399p) - Björn Niklasson
Deamon Prince: General, Deamon of Tzeenth; Level 2; Lore of Metal; Deamonic Flight; Chaos Armour; Scaled skin; Flaming breath, Charmed shield, Sword of striking, Dragonbane gem, 455
Exalted Hero: Barded Deamonic Mount; BSB; Halberd, Talisman of Preservation; Mark of Tzeenth, Shield 249
Chaos Sorcerer: Level 2, Lore of Metal; Enchanted Shield, Dispel scroll 175
18 Chaos Warriors: Halberds; Shields; Mark of Nurgle; Gleaming Penant; FCG 395
Chaos Chariot: Mark of Slaneesh 115
5 Chaos Warhounds 30
5 Chaos Warhounds 30
Chimeara; Flaming Breath, Regenerating flesh 275
3 Skull Crushers of Khorne; Musician 235
Hellcannon 210

High Elves (2400p) - Christer Melander
Archmage, General; Level 4; Lore of High Magic, Book of Hoeth, Talisman of Preservation 320
Mage: Level 2, Lore of High magic; Golden Crown of Atrazar, Dispel scroll 155
Noble: BSB, Great Weapon, Light armour, Armour of Caledor 149
Noble: Dragon armour, Lance, Ithilmar barded Elven Steed, Dawnstone, Enchanted shield 131
18 Archers; Musician; 190
5 Ellyrian Reavers: Bow, spear 95
32 Spearmen, FCG 318
9 Dragon Princes FCG, Sword of Might, Razor standard 356
Lion Chariot of Chrace 120
27 Sword Masters; FCG; Banner of the World Dragon
Great Eagle 65
Great Eagle 65
Pairing

Their High Elf army was incredibly weak, sporting no real threats what so ever to my list. I told my team that this was a 20-0 for me if we could secure the matchup. I can't remember what army we put out here, but we held High Elves on the hand and they countered with High Elves. We thus ended up with VC-DW where we were hoping strange could pull out some of the magic he displayed in game number 1 (huge creds to him for taking this game for the team after he'd just lost 0-20 vs VC), DE-WoC which we were comfortable with and lastly DoC-O&G which neither of us knew too well. With DE grabbing 15 and the other 2 getting ties, my predicted 20-0 would see us score max points for this matchup (55 battle points). Time to go to war.

This was a rare opportunity for the Star Dragon where it was basically all about getting into combat as soon as possible to make sure I would have the time to table him. Because of this I basically deployed everything in the middle of the table with my intention being to push forwards as soon as possible, isolating the Swordmasters with Eagles and cavalry and killing off the rest. Whether single-handedly or combo-charging, he had nothing that could touch the Dragon and only the Dragon Princes stood a chance against my Frostheart through combat resolution.

My opponent managed to grab first turn.

He re-positioned slightly while Reavers advanced on my East. I sent the Dragon up first thing to taunt his Dragon Princes, basically clearing the way for my bus. I made sure to place the Dragon within BSB range for stubborn and re-rolls. The cavalry took the bait and my West was thus secure. I started running around him with Reavers and Frostheart while the bus was cautious in the middle, awaiting the Dragon to grind out the DP.

My units were converging on him and although my Prince died (which caused my Dragon to get Frenzy and Hatred after I failed its re-rollable monster reaction test), his West was being crippled. My RBTs dealt with his Reavers. I was then able to engage his weaker units as his characters all ran to the protection of the BOTWD and Swordmasters.

With everything wiped out except for a chariot which was too far away, it was time for the final kill. I declared a quadruple-charge on his Swordmasters and my units all made it. The Swordmasters lost half of their number including a couple of characters, needing snake eyes to hold. He broke and the game was over (adding insult to injury, the RBTs dealt with the Lion Chariot as well). I had lost the Prince and a Great Eagle, scoring 2675 victory points (3 banners + BSB + General): 20-0 to the Star Dragon. The game was over really fast and besides, with me knowing what to do there was no reason to care about the other tables. When I was done, DE-WoC was almost over and it ended 12 in our favour. DW was holding on well vs VC, but the Terrorgheist was proving to be a real pain after 8 (!) GT and cannon shots had failed to kill it. It got engaged in combat and, together with the Banshees, the Dwarf Lord was slowly whittled down. Regardless, strange was making a huge impact elsewhere and managed to come off with a minor loss: 9-11 if memory serves. This meant it would be up to rusty to bring home another big point game and he was doing very well against the Orcs, ending the game an hour and a half after me but taking 20 points with him!

Evaluation

The pairing was heavily in our favour and strange's solid play made up for DE failing to get big points vs WoC (dark reaper has a word or two to say about the dice in this game, including a number of LD5 tests passed etc...). My matchup here was a walk in the park and given the lists, there is nothing the other High Elf player can do to avoid a huge loss. My opponent was a really nice sport and we had a good game regardless, but I pity him having to play such a dreadful matchup. Fact of the matter was, he was a standin who wasn't used to playing High Elves.

The rest of his team I didn't get to see much of in action. The WoC game was over not too long after mine and the OnG player had a hopeless position by the time I came around to observing the last game. The VC player however had gotten a really nice position vs strange, but Irondrakes are tough and the T10 W5 stubborn lord took forever for him to grind down, the screams eventually claiming the Dwarf Lord but too late for the undead to get points for the machine park.

Having gotten our first win, a cap none the less, certainly felt great and we were back in the race!

Opponent Team Final Placing: 18/24
Our Points: 129/165

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1192 Post by Curu Olannon »

The last game for Saturday saw us face a young and promising team which had multiple, solid lists. It was the standard DE shooty-avoidance (played by the same player I faced game 1 on SM), High Elf Lifetrain, vanilla VC and Coven of Light Empire with 3 cannons. This looked iffy, but we had an ace to play ;)

.::. Match Report - BSK #4 vs The Alliance (ETC comp) .::.
Points Before the Game: 129/165

Our lists:
Daemons of Chaos (rusty)

Dwarfs (strange)

Dark Elves (Dark Reaper)

High Elves (Olannon)

Army Total = 2395
Their lists:

David Lessing, The Empire

Wizard Lord: General, Level 4, Lore of Heavens, Obsidian Amulet, Earthing Rod, 255

Wizard Lord: Level 4, Lore of Light, Power Stone, 220

Captain of the Empire: BSB, Light Armour, Standard of Discipline, 100

Battle Wizard: Level 1, Lore of Light, Dispel Scroll, 90

Battle Wizard: Level 1, Lore of Light, Scroll of Shielding, 80

Battle Wizard: Level 1, Lore of Light, 65

60 Halberdiers: FCG, 390

5 Archer Detachments: 35

15 Archers: 105

2x5 Archer Detachments: 35

6 Demigryph Knights: Musician, Champion, 368

4 Demigryph Knights: Standard, Musician, Banner of the Eternal Flame, 262

3x1 Great Cannon: 120

Total: 2400

Oscar Lagnelöv, Vampire Counts

Vampire Lord: General, Level 4, Lore of Vampires, Great Weapon, Talisman of Preservation, Nightshroud, Aura of Dark Majesty, The Other Tricksters Shard, 460

Vampire: BSB, Level 2, Lore of Death, Shield, Obsidian Amulet, Scroll of Shielding, 212

Necromancer: Level 2, Lore of Death, Dispel Scroll, 125

2x1 Tomb Banshee: 95

55 Skeleton Warriors: FCG, Banner of Swiftness, 320

2x20 Zombies: Musician, 65

3x5 Dire Wolves: Champion, 50

8 Crypt Horrors: 304

2x2 Fell Bats: 32

Terrorgheist: 225

Mortis Engine: 220

Kalle Persson, High Elves

Arch Mage on Elven Steed: Level 4, Lore of Life, Crown of Command, Earthing Rod, 300

Prince on Barded Elven Steed: General, Heavy Armour, Shield, Giant Blade, Dawn Stone, Dragonhelm, 271

Noble on Barded Elven Steed: BSB, Spear, Heavy Armour, Shield, Banner of The Word Dragon, 168

Noble on Barded Elven Steed: Heavy Armour, Ogre Blade, Enchanted Shield, Luckstone, 139

Noble on Barded Elven Steed: Heavy Armour, Shield, Khaine’s Ring of Fury, Sword of Might, 136

3x5 Ellyrian Reavers: 80

4x1 Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers: 70

Great Eagle: 50

Jack Andersson, Dark Elves

Supreme Sorceress: Level 4, Lore of Shadow, Ring of Hotek, Dispel Scroll, 295

Dreadlord on Dark Steed: General, Brace of Repeater Handbows, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Giant Blade, Dawn Stone, The Other Tricksters Shard, 287

Master on Dark Pegasus: BSB, Lance, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Talisman of Preservation, Charmed Shield, 211

Master on Dark Pegasus: Lance, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cloak of Twilight, 188

Master on Dark Pegasus: Lance, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Armour of Destiny, 184

24 Dark Shards: FCG, Banner of the Eternal Flame, 328

4x1 Reaper Bolt Throwers: 70

2x5 Doomfire Warlocks: 125

Total: 2398
Pairing

For this game, we had no other option but to hold High Elves back. I have so much potential against Dark Elves, Vampire Counts and High Elves, but I cannot do anything vs Empire so letting them control the Dragon is disastrous. I believe we put out Dwarfs and sent DE + DoC in return, they set out Dark Elves with Empire + High Elves in return. We ended up choosing DW-EMP and HE-HE, while they opted for DE-VC and DoC-DE. Basically we anticipated the Dwarf game to be tie-ish, Dark Elves VC tie-ish and DE-DoC to swing. Again it was up to the Star Dragon to release its potential.

Having played this matchup in reverse with the Deathtrain, I know how big of a problem the Star Dragon is to handle for the bus. I also know that with a single lucky phase, magic + shooting can render the Dragon useless. Lastly, a Life-buffed Cavprince can actually grind down the Star Dragon, with a little luck.

Pre-battle thoughts and deployment
What I wanted to do in this game was to pressure his weak elements, highlighting how I can score easy points and thus, probably, score a comfortable win. This forces him to react, opening up the table for me. I also wanted to punish him if he wanted to try and cast Dwellers, so the idea was to place the bus far away, so that a Dwellers would incur an inherent risk on his part.

To this end, I split my army with the Dragon + RBTs on one side of the table and the bus + Frostheart on the other. I took care to place the Dragon so that I could charge an RBT T2 and overrun into a second RBT or overrun off the table, depending on what would happen.

Having +1, I went first.

Dragon went up on the flank, 14" away from the closest RBT and barely at long range from another one. Bus moved further back, forcing him to make a choice: Does he go for the Dragon or does he commit heavily to running down my bus? He had Arcane, so his magic was nasty, but forcing him to stay over 24" away would mitigate this somewhat. T1 saw me get IF Walk on the Frostheart and I moved it to a very powerful position: He could only see me with Reavers and his closest RBT was 17" away. This created a catch 22 for him where he would be very hard pressed to defend his back field.

His reply was to charge the Phoenix with Reavers and shoot the Dragon. The first held up due to static, the second scored 2W on the Prince and 1 on the Dragon. The bus committed to protecting the flank from my Dragon. Time to commit for me: I sent the Dragon into the nearest RBT, barely making the charge (3, 1, 1) and positioning it to overrun off the table. The bus then ran up full speed and I managed another Walk (he scrolled unforging on the Banner), shoving it right up to his unit as close as possible so that any reforms on his part would be severely reduced and in practice, making it impossible for him to escape from me. I also had an Eagle nearby.

He reforms 180 degrees and backs off with his bus, putting an Eagle in my way. He then manages the impossible as his long range, hard cover RBTs kill my Eagle. My Phoenix had broken a Reaver however that was running behind the Eagle, I needed a 7 or 8 to reach it (which would've given me a reform upon completing the charge).

So I decide to go for the big kill, Dragon comes back on the table to his bus' rear and I charge the Eagle, hoping to overrun and catch the lone Reaver. I Walk my second Eagle to block his bus yet again, but fail to catch the lone Reaver thus leaving my bus somewhat stranded: If he wants to charge the Eagle and overrun however he gets a Star Dragon in the rear.

My opponent opts to turn around and go for the Star Dragon instead (I lost the Prince to RBT crew but passed the monster reaction test): Trying the impossible with Dwellers and I luckily pass my test. The Eagle is shot to death but this turns out to be interesting: In doing this move he's opened up for me to combo-charge his bus (can you see how?):

The Phoenix also blocked mine by charging it, despite my RBTs having taken a couple wounds off of it

So what I do is that I charge the RBT, wheeling a full 90 degrees. This puts his bus in my overrun arc easily and the Dragon front-charges his bus. I also manage to heal the Dragon to full wounds. In combat, my BSB challenges. The Dragon is contacting the Prince + champ, so basically I do this for 2 reasons: If the Prince accepts, another character has to take his place in B2B with the Dragon, making it easier for me to wear him down as I need to get to the L4 with the Crown as soon as possible. If he accepts with anyone else, that's likely a dead character, again with the same result. If he doesn't accept, I force his Prince away, meaning my Dragon is safe and a character still has to take his place. He accepts with the Prince. Combat is a massacre in my favour, he holds on stubborn.

Combat grinds on but he rolls a 4+4 winds phase and with strong rolls, I can't dispel either Throne or Flesh. T7 huzzah! I still win combat though.

I get a good winds roll myself, with 2+2. I cast it all at Drain Magic, taking away his T7 and Throne. I lose the BSB in the combat vs his Prince, but I am now able to target his L4 which receives as many hits as possible, bringing him down. He needs snake eyes which he fails, however I fail to catch him. His Phoenix also killed mine and turned around.

His Phoenix charges my bus. Magic sees him cast soul quench on my Dragon, scoring 0 or 1 wound (I had 5 or so left, so no biggie). Bus holds and combat reforms. His remaining Knights rallied.

I then flank charge his 1W bird with my small Helms. The Dragon charges his bus again, but anti-climactically he fails his terror test and runs off the table. I kill his Phoenix and he is thus tabled, despite losing my BSB (risky, seeing as his Frostheart rear-charged me and my Ogre Blade failed to wound him): 20-0 to the Star Dragon! On the rest of the tables, I knew Dwarfs lost 12 very early (all WMs were gone by T2, courtesy of 3 Empire Cannons and S7 Banishment), DoC would be drawish and our DE played drawish. We ended up scoring 49 points overall, which we were very happy with seeing as the matchups were so hard for us.

Evaluation

Although this matchup is, in my opinion, clearly in favour of the Star Dragon, a number of things can go wrong and it's tricky to land the necessary setup to capitalize on its strength. By frontal-charging with everything, you have to tank Dwellers and RBTs endlessly, so by splitting up and providing multiple threats like I did in this game the opponent feels the pressure.

The breaking point was getting off Walk after he scrolled Arcane T2. Moving my bus 36-37" in one turn completely changed the dynamics of the game. Although his Frostheart got the better of the tradeoff, mine killed Reavers meanwhile and forced him to abandon the flank entirely.

Rusty I believe won 11 or so vs DE, which is a great result and it really helped out team. Dark reaper was powerless to score big points against Vampire Counts but I believe he came out on a 10-10. With our strategy being to let the Dragon bring home the points, this was a success given their hard lists: We could easily have gotten way worse matchups (VC vs DW, HE vs EMP etc...).

Opponent Team Final Placing: 17/24
Our Points: 178/220

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1193 Post by Curu Olannon »

Saturday did not start out well for us with our 2nd, albeit marginal, loss against team Donkey Punch (don't google that expression, NSFW). However as the day went on we picked up speed and when the night came, we had a great time as well. I knew we'd have to bring our a-game on Sunday, so I went to bed early (by early, I mean 1:30 when breakfast was 08:30). This paid off, as our 5th and last game would be a nail-biter right down to the last dice of the last game.

.::. Match Report - BSK #5 vs First Blood (ETC comp) .::.
Points Before the Game: 178/220

Our lists:
Daemons of Chaos (rusty)

Dwarfs (strange)

Dark Elves (Dark Reaper)

High Elves (Olannon)

Army Total = 2395
Their lists:

Kaj Jonsson
Skaven

Grey seer: general, level4, D3 warpstone tokens, talisman of preservation, power scroll, ironcurse icon, 325
Warlord: heavy armour, shield, the fellblade, 193

Cheiftain: Battle Standard bearer, heavy armour, halberd, banner of eternal flame, 82
Chieftain: heavy armour, halberd, potion of speed, 52
Assassin: 2nd handweapon, throwing stars, potion of strength, weeping blade, 170
Warlock engineer: level1, scroll of shielding, doom rocket, 110
Warlock engineer: level1, dispel scroll, 90
Warlock engineer: obsidian lodestone, 60

46 Storm vermin: FCG, storm banner, 397
59 Slaves: musician, champion, 124
60 Slaves: musician, champion, 126
2x 2 Rat swarms: 2x 50

5 Gutter runners: poisoned attacks, slings, 90

2x Doom wheel: 2x 150 2x Warp lightning cannon: 2x 90

Simon Ström

Lords:

Spellweaver, level 4, lore of heavens, elven steed, talisman of preservation, dispel scroll 310p

Heroes:

Glade captain, BSB, steed, spear, light armour, starfire arrows, charmed shield, opal amulet, hail of doom arrow, 162p

Spellsingar, level 2, lore of metall, eleven steed, obsidian amulet 155p

Core:

10 Glade guards, musician, starfire arrows 170p

10 Glade guards, musician, hagbane tips 160p

Special:

10 Scouts, hagbane tips 160p

7 Sisters of the thorn, musician, standard 202p

Rare:

Great Eagle 50p

Great Eagle 50p

Totalt: 2399p

Mathias Lyngarth

Dark Elves

Dreadlord på Dark Steed 277p

Giant Blade, Other Tricksters, Dawnstone,

Heavy Armor, SDC, Shield

Supreme Sorc lvl 4 Death 295p

Scroll, Ring of Hotek

BSB på Pegas 211p

Heavy Armor, SDC, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Preservation,

Lance

Master på Pegas 188p

Heavy Armor, SDC, Shield, Cloak of Twilight, Lance

Master på Pegas 177p

Heavy Armor, SDC, Shield, Ogre Blade, Dragonbane Gem

5x Dark Riders 90p

Champ

2x5 Dark Riders 95p

Shields, Musician

25x Corsairs 320p

FCG, Banner of Swiftness

3x Bolters 70p

12x Shades 192p

2x5 Warlocks 125p

Einar Nygård

High Elves

Anointed of Asuryan on Flamespyre Phoenix: General, Heavy Armour, Halberd, Enchanted Shield, Giant Blade,Dawnstone, Potion of Foolhardiness, 530

Noble on Elven Steed: BSB, Ithilmar Barding, Heavy Armour, Shield, Spear, Banner of the World Dragon, 168

Noble on Elven Steed: Ithilmar Barding, Heavy Armour, Shield, Dragonhelm, Ogre Blade, 141

Mage on Elven Steed: Lvl 2, High Magic, Dispel Scroll, Ironcourse Icon, 160

Mage on Elven Steed: Lvl 2, High Magic, 130

16 Silver Helms: FCG, Shields, 398

2x 6 Silver Helms: Champion, Shields, 2x 148

1 Frostheart Phoenix, 240

1 Great Eagle: Shredding Talons, 55

4x 1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower: 4x 70
Pairing

In this game, Wood Elves would be a complete disaster for Dwarfs. That was our main focus. Apart from that, most matchups were playable. However, we did not want HE vs SK and my HE could take on that WE army, so we decided to open with Dwarfs and hopefully lure them into countering with WE, only to match Dwarfs against whatever else came (preferably not Skaven, but both DE and HE are easily playable for DW here) and leaving the Woodies for the Star Dragon.

When they opened with Skaven, we knew we were good to go. Luckily Wood Elves came in return along with Furion's HE list, about as perfect as it could get for us. Our opponents then chose DE vs SK and DoC vs DE. This would be an interesting set of matches!

Pre-battle thoughts and deployment

Having +1 to start vs this Wood Elf army would be crucial. I was going for the 20-0 here as we wanted to cap their team, hopefully getting a good position in the overall standings. As such, I made a couple of aggressive deployments, among others the Reavers + Helmdart on my East flank to put pressure on his Archers. I deployed the big unit 21 wide so completely cover the board in the middle. This was suggested to me by a clubmate the night before and I think it's brilliant in this matchup. The RBTs mainly covered my weak flank while the monsters were positioned to steamroll the other. The idea was to have the Helms dominate the center, pressure one flank with monsters and the other with RBTs. With my speed, I would be able to sweep the entire board in 6 turns if things went well.

His deployment saw him split large parts of his army, so with a few poor LD tests (they are only LD8, after all) he could collapse entirely.

The fields on the Western flank are in fact Ruins. Granting hard cover, this means my monsters there will be hit on 7s if he moves and is at long range, effectively negating poison. Perfect!

Unfortunately, he won the roll-off for first turn. Oh-oh.

He wasted no time in getting to grips with my army, sending a hail of arrows to kill the Reavers, panic the Helmdart and pick off 2 RBTs. Magic saw him IF big searing doom on the Dragon, however I was extremely lucky as the Rider took 5/7 hits, tanking them all with his Dragonhelm, while the 2 hits on the Dragon came up a '1' and a '2'. When it was my turn, I pushed the Dragon and Frostheart into the ruins and the Helms simply went ahead 18". With the Ogre Blade Noble on the far right, I was threatening his Scouts. The mages were placed centrally, suicide-charging them was a possibility for him but it would be risky: Not only could he end up not getting them killed but I would get a combat reform before my own turn. Lastly my BSB was on the flank by himself so the Sisters could have flank charged me. In this case, my BSB would call out for a challenge that would either see his BSB accept or pushed to the back rank. In either case, it would be a huge risk for him. Lastly, I positioned my two birds so that if his bunker went around my flyers to flank me, I would be able to charge and lock him down.

His Great Eagle on the East blocked my Noble. His Sisters went around me, in a perfect spot for the Eagles to get in. He shot my last RBT off the table and I scrolled a big cast of Searing Doom on the Dragon. In my turn, I sent the Ogre Blade Noble out towards the Eagle. Basically I could put a lot of pressure on his advance through the center with this guy alone, hence the solo charge. The rest of the bus reformed and went West so the BSB was within range of both the Eagles. My Frostheart ate Archers while the Dragon went to the Sisters' rear, ready to eat some tasty points. Luckily for me, his Great Eagle survived AND held vs the Noble, allowing me to kill it off and reform in his turn. Perfect! Eagles both held. Double perfect!

Archers closed in from all sides, Frostheart took a beating, but survived (barely). Last Eagle blocked my bus. In my turn, Dragon went into Sisters, Frostheart flew back to the safety of the ruins, the bus charged the Eagle and my Noble ate a unit of Scouts.

1+ armour save can only hold out for so long and after initially passing many tests, my Noble finally succumbed to the very last unit targeting him. His Sisters were reduced to just 1 model + L4 and they broke. I pursued, but fail to catch. No worry seeing as my turn was coming up, I charged and caught the L4. I furthermore cast walk on the Dragon to bring it into the safety of the ruins yet again (Prince was dead, Dragon had taken 3W or so and I had no Apotheosis). I lost a mage to cascade as I soul quenched his units for points.

After this, he tried shooting my Phoenix and Dragon but the ruins proved to be my friend. I got a few more points but I had bled heavily as well, I ended up winning the game 16-4 for the High Elves! Usually games against Wood Elves are not necessarily fast, but locking down his bunker greatly reduced the complexity of the game so we were finished quite fast. Strange had beaten High Elves 12-8 after the High Elf player was instructed not to push (that's indirect GTs for you!) and Dark Elves were looking good vs Skaven. Rusty's Daemons initially found it hard to counter the DE but a couple of Winds of Silly and a few smart moves later, it was looking very bright for us. Dark Elves ended up getting a 10-10, meaning Rusty would have to win 17 or bigger for us to cap them. The end here was really exciting as the Dark Elves barely had units left but the Warlocks tried to scrape some points back and an IF boosted doombolt on the Skullcannon looked iffy, until Rusty picked up his usual dice skills and saved enough for it to survive (MR does help). This was just enough as he won the game 17-3 by roughly 100 points, securing us the 55-25 for match 5! The rest of the top tables (we were table 4 I believe) also swung heavily, so some teams went up while others went down. With a little luck and help from some of the other teams (read: no-one winning big) we could have made it into 2nd place but alas, it was not to be. 3 teams ahead of us won huge and it was really, really close: 2nd place was 235 points and 3rd place was 234 points with us trailing but a single BP behind. Regardless, we had brought our best and gotten a very solid result so we were pleased with our performance and final placement.

Evaluation

This is a unique type of Wood Elf list that can be a pain to play against, but his complete inability to deal with my bus is a huge issue for him, one which I exploited fully. If I had got first turn, this would likely have been a 20-0 match as my RBTs would have caused panics all over the place and the cavalry would pressure him a lot on the East. As it were, I had a rough start but locking down his bunker most definitely got me back in the game. I made a couple of mistakes towards the end where I could've easily secured another BP but I got greedy and tried for 2, which didn't pan out. Cascade eating one of my mages also cost me a BP, but there's nothing you can do about this and to be fair, I had gotten a lot of IFs without noteworthy negative effects throughout the tournament.

Post-tournament evaluation will come soon :)

Opponent Team Final Placing: 14/24
Our Final Placing: 4/24
Our Points: 233/275

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

Re: Path To Glory - BSK All Matches Up ;)

#1194 Post by Ferny »

Sounds fun - well done team.

Any thoughts on the double AM list? These seem relatively rare to me and Metal/Shadow I've never come across. Likewise such a huge archer unit. I can see that it isn't bad but it clearly isn't an obvious list...
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1195 Post by Curu Olannon »

I have some thoughts on the list Ferny, but it's a little early to say just yet as I haven't seen it properly in action nor playtested anything. The tentative version is that it's very versatile and powerful, because you can always sneak those small spells through that make a big difference such as Plague of Rust (which was the real killer in our game), Enchanted Blades and Miasma, seeing as your opponent has to save dice to stop Pit/Withering/Final Trans/Searing Doom (I don't think there's an army in Warhammer that doesn't fear anyone of these. Possibly Lizardmen similar to what Poland took to the ETC this year.). This lets the shooting shine (and there really is a ton of it!) and has the added effect of also making the Lions devastating, a trademark of Dennis (who, as far as I know, was the first to bring the Loremaster Coven of Light to the ETC meta with a big unit of Lions which he basically found were unstoppable with Loremaster backup in a Light Coven setting).

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#1196 Post by Ferny »

I've created a new topic for it here as I figured it could easily get lost in your thread but I think it's worth exploring.

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=67508

I'm gonna think about it more :)
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
John Rainbow

#1197 Post by John Rainbow »

Great result for you and the team. Well done. Make me jealous that I haven't played a game in several months...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1198 Post by SpellArcher »

Very interesting Curu, thanks a lot for this!

Lots of elves...
dennis p

#1199 Post by dennis p »

I answered some questions about the list in the second forum.

I had playtest the list one game before BSK.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1200 Post by Curu Olannon »

@Ferny - Thanks, we can continue the discussion there :)

@John Rainbow - Thanks! You have to get back into the game! Any chance you'll be coming to Europe next year?

@SpellArcher - You're welcome. Lots of Elves indeed, but the main reason they are so present in my reports is because the Star Dragon is so well suited to fight Elves, as long as Death isn't around.

@dennis p - Interesting read. 2x30 Archers sounds like it'll have a huge footprint ^^ 1 game of playtesting, yikes!