Path To Glory - ETC All Games Up!

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Baleanoon

Re: Path To Glory - NM All Games & Evaluation Up!

#1111 Post by Baleanoon »

Curu Olannon wrote:@Baleanoon - The amount of Dwellers depends on your meta. If people wise up to the fact that magic is popular, WoC and OK for example should become popular, which in turn decreases the amount of armies taking Dwellers seeing as it's just not good against them. I think that NM had a largely premature meta, meaning that people had not had the chance to adapt to uncomped play (which makes sense, seeing as we almost never have uncomped tournaments), which explains the Dwellers-24x7 experience many of us had. Looking at the top placing French lists, they were probably more used to this and were thus able to play around it.

@SpellArcher - The main problem with DoC is that they are literally everywhere. With 2 units of flies, 2 units of ambushing hounds, a unit or two of beasts and horrors + herald backup with army-wide ITP and Daemonic Unbreakability, not to mention Reign of Chaos, they will simply swarm you. True, one unit is always safe, apart from Final Trans and Treason of Tzeentch, but what good is that if the rest of your army gets killed off? If you look at my last ~5 reports or so vs DoC you will see that these games largely boil down to whether I can keep my non-BOTWD elements alive and how effectively I can use my BOTWD-unit to kill DoC fast, as opposed to getting bogged down.

@Browncastle - Thank you ;) I was hoping to see you around, but perhaps I'll see you at Challenge instead? ;)

---

Good news! I've been chosen to be part of the Norwegian ETC team for 2015 :) I'll be going to Prague along with 7 other very skilled players, which I'm really looking forward to! As the team has just been chosen, it's too early to say much about how this'll affect me in any way, but I'll keep you up to date ;)

I thought about congratulating you on the finish... I'm glad I didn't I'm sure you're happier with the call up. Congrats. I'm similarly motivated to pound out the HE's until I've exhausted almost every competitive build myself. I just love winning so much its hard to not chase the most powerful armies available though... I think the ETC call is your just reward to working hard on the HE and gaining a such an impressive reputation.
I saw Karaz-a-Karak...and then I burned it to the ground.

Baleanoon and House Morhathel march once again for the Glory of Khaine and his chosen King.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1112 Post by Curu Olannon »

Thanks a lot guys, it will be an interesting year for sure :)

@Baleanoon - NM wasn't that big of a deal to me. Of course I tried my best, but I didn't have time and the format doesn't appeal to me so I didn't set any specific goals nor did I put the same effort into it that I am for BSK for example. 7th is a good finish I think but what I'm most happy about is that I won all of my games. This is largely because I feel I've at least understood some aspects of playing High Elves defensively, which was my main goal going into this tournament with such a list. True, Game 3 should've been a loss but sometimes lady luck helps me out as well, and considering the tournament as a whole I wouldn't say I was particularly lucky or unlucky. I also know what I did wrong in that game.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Browncastle

#1113 Post by Browncastle »

Really nice to see you take that spot on the ETC team, Id like to see you strenghten the team and bring back some hard earned tropies.

I could not attend this year, even if I really wanted. The point levels and lack off resent practice also put me off, but good things are on the horrisont.
Ive just found a new location for the Warcry gaming club, lots of old and new players have answered the call, so I really hope we will see a renewed competive group off players from the Stavanger region in the years to come. Were also planing a tournament, either early spring or Summer.

ME and Karl (the Ogre playing Hex spam at Invasion) are planing to put together a team so hopefully well be able to attend. We just need a 3rd player, If we could get lekrist on the team I think we should be solid.
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41281[/url]
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1114 Post by Curu Olannon »

Hopefully I can bring something to the tables for Norway next year. I believe we have a strong group of players, all we need to do now is practice, practice, practice. First up is the team tournament in Sweden, which 6 of our 8 players will participate in. I think this is a great way to learn about how team-oriented tournaments work and I`m very glad so many will be attending. Understanding the pairing properly is key to success and I believe Sweden currently holds a big advantage here. No wonder then that BSK has been so popular the last years, eh? Hopefully we can get something similar going in Norway :)

Sounds like Stavanger is picking up the Warhammer pace, which I`m happy for. Next year I believe we`ll see an influx of players in the tournament scene and the more we can get going around the country, the better.

---

I`m hoping to finally get a game again soon. I need to bring back the Dragon and get a handful of games prior to BSK.

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#1115 Post by Ferny »

Curu Olannon wrote:Good news! I've been chosen to be part of the Norwegian ETC team for 2015 :)
Congrats - long time coming, looking forward to seeing more reports coming out from ETC :)
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1116 Post by SpellArcher »

Will Norway be playing the ETC Warmup in Denmark Curu?

The other question I guess is will you probably be playing High Elves or are other options likely?
pk-ng

#1117 Post by pk-ng »

Curu Olannon wrote:Good news! I've been chosen to be part of the Norwegian ETC team for 2015 :) I'll be going to Prague along with 7 other very skilled players, which I'm really looking forward to! As the team has just been chosen, it's too early to say much about how this'll affect me in any way, but I'll keep you up to date ;)
See you in Prague :)
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1118 Post by SpellArcher »

Any chance of you playing High Elves this year pk-ng?
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1119 Post by Curu Olannon »

@Ferny - Thanks :) This means I'll probably also head to the UK once or twice next year. The club's already talking about Sheffield Slaughter, for one.

@SpellArcher - The team has just been selected, we have a lot of things to sort out so nothing is set yet, neither in terms of who plays what or in terms of what events we intend to attend. High Elves is probably the most likely option, but I can also end up playing other factions. It's too early to tell, yet. We have two High Elf players on the team, me and Asbjørn, and who ends up taking High Elves depends mostly on what we're looking for overall and how the other player can handle that: For example Asbjørn plays Orcs and Goblins and Bretonnia and I play Warriors and Chaos Dwarfs. It's a big jigsaw puzzle ;)

@pk-ng - Looking forward to meeting you guys in Prague :D

Galharen
Master of Brushes

#1120 Post by Galharen »

Maybe I will come to Prague along with our etc team (not a member of a team however), it would be great to meet some of you guys in real life;)
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1121 Post by Curu Olannon »

That would be great, the more the merrier ;) There's always ESC as well!

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1122 Post by SpellArcher »

Sheffield Slaughter comp and NWGT both have a lot to do with Chris Legg and he's pretty open to continental ways of doing things.

So basically Norway just picked their best 8?
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1123 Post by Curu Olannon »

Rumour has it Sheffield will be pretty much uncomped, with restrictions on the big spells and varying points (from 2200 => 2700) per faction. I'll have to wait and see the final comp pack before I make up my mind but this could be interesting ;)

Our team for 2015 was picked by a committee composed of 3 people. There are currently a lot of good candidates and in my opinion selecting the top 8 will be a subjective choice. They said it was a very difficult task this year and also that they had to consider other aspects, army compositions and faction viability for example. Hopefully we won't disappoint anyone :D

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1124 Post by SpellArcher »

I don't envy the selection committees. The English one has had a lot of stick over the years. I guess it's always a difficult task when most countries could send a second team that could do almost as well as the first.

I get the general impression that as well as being a very good player, you also have to be willing to commit time, money and effort to practice events etc.. Obviously the team needs to be at least roughly harmonius. Flexibility regarding which army a guy could play also seems important, only playing one can be a disadvantage here.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1125 Post by Curu Olannon »

I think England has an even bigger problem than Norway in this regard, same for a number of other countries. I heard that Poland simply uses a national ranking system, and while I disagree with that approach for a number of reasons, it takes the whole debate about subjective opinions away at the very least. France had a different solution this year where they had a number of teams compete in an ETC-style 8-man team tournament where the winner would represent France. I don't approve of this approach either, but I can see its appeal.

Norway has for some time been comparing itself to Sweden and our ambitions have largely been to be "about as good as Sweden" at the ETC. Obviously, this year was a huge blow in that regard. Sweden has had a terrific growth the past few years and their effort to making the ETC a national effort most certainly paid off. I'm hoping we can achieve the same.

I'm more than willing to commit a lot of time, money and effort to the ETC 2015. As you say though, the entire team has to be on the same page, so we'll have to figure out where our ambitions are and how much we're willing to do. So far things look very promising, but it's early yet so we'll see :) By the way, if I remember correctly no-one applied for the ETC team this year without at least listing 2 factions, so being flexible is a big deal (as it should be, in my opinion, as anything else locks the team down a lot based on a single player choice).

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1126 Post by SpellArcher »

The Australians used to select strictly on ranking and I believe rankings were important for England selection too. There was some controversy when for example the top ranked players of specific armies were not selected three or four years ago. People seem more suspicious of rankings these days, though they still get used for events like the UK Masters I believe.

Competing teams makes some sense (Belgium had Flemish v Walloons!) but at the end of the day don't selectors want free access to all the best players?

England in particular has benefited from players gaining ETC experience in other teams (Wales and Canada spring to mind) who just needed decent players. Some teams do seem to have quite a rigorous and controlled approach to the event while others don't, so much.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1127 Post by Curu Olannon »

The problem with rankings is that if this is the approach you take, you end up with people converging more and more towards netlists because performing bad at a tournament means you will likely drop in ranking and thus have a worse shot at making the team. This is detrimental to the tournament scene as a whole because the lists will be less varied but ironically enough it will also be detrimental to the team seeing as you always need variety to perform at the very top level: The x-factor that comes from an opponent not knowing your army is often a huge advantage. There are multiple other flaws with ranking, too, but let's leave it at this for now ;)

A concept I have recently been contemplating a bit is how to work High Magic into a solid 2400 point list. My original idea had a cavprince in a bus with Phoenix Guards + High Archmage alongside. I believe this approach has enough merit to warrant testing, but in looking through various other lists I've been able to refresh an old concept, one which I originally abandoned: The PG + WL + Cav approach.

Basically, I don't think PG can work without offensive magic. Shadow with power scroll and Wyssan's Wildform are basically what it boils down to, in my opinion. With them being great with High Magic as well, how do we incorporate this while keeping enough points to include WL? The answer is actually surprisingly obvious: You cut down on characters. How to maintain combat power and flexibility then?

Enter the Loremaster + High Magic concept:
Archmage: General, Level 4, Lore of High Magic, Talisman of Preservation, 265
Loremaster of Hoeth: Level 2, Heavy Armour, Giant Blade, Shield of Merwyrm, Dispel Scroll, 330
Sea Helm: BSB, Banner of Swiftness, 140

Core = 600 (big unit of helms, 2x Reavers)

24 PG, FC, RS = 435
26 White Lions of Chrace: FCG, Banner of the World Dragon, 418

3x 1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower: 3x 70

This Loremaster backed up with High Magic is basically a beast to deal with for many armies. While the awesome cavprince is not present, the Helms fill an important role regardless: They provide the army with an ability to push if needed. Going back to some of my original games with the WL + PG + Cav concept, the Cavprince was actually often having little impact on the game. True, he was a beast in some cases but I believe the L4 High (which is basically the trade here) will be way more crucial to providing flexibility.

Again, hoping to get some test games running. Lots of concepts, too little time to play :/ BSK is first and until then, it's all about the Star Dragon ;)

pk-ng

#1128 Post by pk-ng »

SpellArcher wrote:Any chance of you playing High Elves this year pk-ng?
Maybe not sure. Toss up between HE or WE. But it'll come down to what the team wants me to play and what I'm comfortable with. Still plenty of time to practise :)

The team is yet to be finalised but fingers crossed :).
SpellArcher wrote:The Australians used to select strictly on ranking and I believe rankings were important for England selection too.
Actually Australia changed (or will change) the way they do their selection process. I know for a fact they will keep some of the players but there will be some new spots available in the team. Could get interesting.
Curu Olannon wrote:I think England has an even bigger problem than Norway in this regard, same for a number of other countries. I heard that Poland simply uses a national ranking system, and while I disagree with that approach for a number of reasons, it takes the whole debate about subjective opinions away at the very least. France had a different solution this year where they had a number of teams compete in an ETC-style 8-man team tournament where the winner would represent France. I don't approve of this approach either, but I can see its appeal.
There's pros and cons of each selection process and I can see the appeal for each style. The French system at least allows you to play with your mates and you can coordinate better with each other with less internal politics.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
sparkytrypod

#1129 Post by sparkytrypod »

Interesting, i have been developing something similar and came to the same conclusion regarding not taking the prince.
He is more of a points liability on his own in the helms, you keep wanting to add more for his safety and aome extra punch.
Regarding the helms on their own, ld 8 is dangerous, their deployment will have to be tight to the bsb(hence banner of swiftness also)most games? An unwanted panic check could ruin their day.

I had not considered the loremaster, wud it be worth squeezing in the forbidden rod? For those poor dice phases? I know scroll is pretty much essential, but if you are pushing that forbidden rod could be golden!

I like tricky speedy seahelm! With his lack of defence are you lumitingvthe way you deploy your lions against fast opponents, or do you find thst it didnt make much difference in the masters?

Im also thinking your mage is general, ready to do some smoke and mirrors with the killy loremaster?

I like the concept though, while its not pure power each unit is dangerous and can become devastating with the correct magic.

What lists eo you think you would not be pushing against with this?
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Malossar
Something Cool

#1130 Post by Malossar »

Hey that list looks familiar! Minus the white lions ;)
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
pk-ng

#1131 Post by pk-ng »

Curu Olannon wrote:
Enter the Loremaster + High Magic concept:

[quoteArchmage: General, Level 4, Lore of High Magic, Talisman of Preservation, 265
Loremaster of Hoeth: Level 2, Heavy Armour, Giant Blade, Shield of Merwyrm, Dispel Scroll, 330
Sea Helm: BSB, Banner of Swiftness, 140

Core = 600 (big unit of helms, 2x Reavers)

24 PG, FC, RS = 435
26 White Lions of Chrace: FCG, Banner of the World Dragon, 418

I actually have a list very similar to this that I want to play test as well. really comes down to personal preference.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1132 Post by Curu Olannon »

@pk-ng - Good luck with the selection! When is the deadline?

@sparkytrypod - Helms on Ld8 indeed need to stay close to the BSB, preferably the general as well. The idea is to have an anchoring element towards the center (PG or WL depending on matchup) and send the characters where they're needed as I think both PG and WL can be suitable bunkers for them.

Forbidden Rod is a bit of a mismatch with this list. I did consider the Power Stone on the Archmage but there's just no way I can do that without spending too many points on lords or giving up his ward, neither of which I'm willing to do.

Sea Helm I don't feel needs much in terms of defense. Naval Discipline should (hopefully) be enough to do what I want. If this turns out to be wrong I'll have to look at other configurations.

General - undecided. I suppose the Loremaster is the better candidate but we'll see ;)

@Malossar Dragonborne - Yep, lists are converging indeed. This is basically an evolution of what I played this Spring, swapping the cavprince for an Archmage ;)

gaz

#1133 Post by gaz »

Hey Curu.

As always, thanks for the reports.
Congrats on the selection to your ETC team!

The Lvl 4 + LM list looks a little light on chaff at first glance. I'm guessing you want to rely on magic to force opponents to come to you and fight on your terms in most matchups. I suppose the silver helms help here with zoning (through counter charge threats) but forcing your opponent to come to you seems a little reliant on winds of magic.

Does the BSB go with the WL most games (given he has almost no protection from death snipes without the BotWD)?

I'll be interested to see how it plays.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1134 Post by SpellArcher »

It must be difficult for the Australians because in 7th edition they had a very good team. Obviously they still have some strong players but I think they've struggled to do as well.

What is the mechanic that lets the new list push against Dark Elves say in a way the old one couldn't? Is it simply down to High Magic?
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1135 Post by Curu Olannon »

@gaz - Thank you :) LM + L4 is light on chaff indeed. I'm hoping this won't turn out to be a real problem, but it could of course end up being one, in which case I have to revive. I didn't really feel the lack of chaff when running the last version of this concept though, so I'm hopeful. The list is designed to push, but it's relatively solid in the way that it doesn't rely on getting a charge off to make things work. Position of characters is largely determined by what I'm up against and what I need.

@SpellArcher - I didn't play much during 7th so I don't know how things were back then. It's ironic though seeing as many people claim the current ETC to be stuck in 7th ^^

The new list pushes better than the old one because the Prince isn't vulnerable (he doesn't exist), Arcane Unforging helps deal with tons of one-trick ponies and Walk Between Worlds + Hand of Glory are just sick. There are also a few more bodies and the Loremaster packs a significantly bigger punch (do the math with this PG setup + him vs Demigryphs for example). It's no secret that High Magic is the key here, however. Without it, you'd need another significant threat to actually threaten with a proper push (e.g. a Frostheart, which incidentally can be included if you leave the Archmage at home and such a list inspired me to make this one).

---

I was hoping to get a game going today but a club meeting dragged out for an hour more than it was scheduled for so we had to cancel as it was getting late. Hoping for a game on Thursday instead ;)

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Path To Glory - IS done, SD returns! BR vs EMP 05.08

#1136 Post by Curu Olannon »

Finally time for the Dragonlord to fly yet again! It's been a relatively long time since I played with this awesome beast and to make matters even better, I had a real challenge on my hands in the shape of one of the hardest lists for me to face: Life Empire with 3 WMs + STank. My opponent did not have a lot of experience with this list however, so how would it play out? Read on to find out more!

.::. Battle Report - 2400 vs Empire (ETC comp) .::.

Lists:
Prince on Star Dragon: General, Dragonhelm, Star Lance, Golden Crown of Atrazar, The Other Trickster`s Shard, Shield, 598
Noble on Ithilmar Barded Elven Steed: Battle Standard Bearer, Banner of the World Dragon, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance, 172
Noble on Ithilmar Barded Elven Steed: Enchanted Shield, Heavy Armour, Ogre Blade, 134
Mage on Elven Steed: Level 2, Lore of High Magic, Dispel Scroll, 155
Mage on Elven Steed: Level 2, Lore of High Magic, Ironcurse Icon, 135

17 Silver Helms: FCG, Shields, 421
5 Ellyrian Reavers: Champion, Bows (Swap), 95
5 Silver Helms: Champion, Musician, Shields, 135

Frostheart Phoenix: 240
2x 1 Great Eagle: 2x 50

Army Total = 2395
Arch Lector: War Altar, General, HA, Charmed Shield, Dragonbanegem, 264
Wizard Lord: Lvl 4, Life, 200
Battle Wizard: Lvl 2, Light, Dispel Scroll, 125
Captain of the Empire: BSB, FPA, Enchanted Shield, 96
Captain of the Empire: Pegasus, FPA, Lance, Shield, Dragonhelm, 130
Master Engineer: 65

56 Halberdiers: FCG, 366
25 Halberdiers: Detachment, 150
12 Archers: Detachment, 84

5 Demigryph Knights: Mus/Banner, 310
2x1 Great Cannon: 2x120

Helblaster Volleygun: 120
Steam Tank: 250
Army Total: 2400 points
Pre-Battle Thoughts

As the astute reader might notice, I have faced this list before. Despite me being lucky, that game did not turn out well (7-13 loss, if memory serves). This matchup is so hard because the Cannons can line up a crossfire by deploying in opposite corners, making it nigh on impossible to hide. Furthermore, pushing is iffy as the bus can easily be devastated by Dwellers and if I get stuck with the STank with the Dragon, I risk being in combat all game with the rest of his army wiping my bus (Regrowth + STank is nasty).

So, the only chance I have here is to push hard and fast and pray for luck when I need it the most. I got a very good deployment, guaranteed outside of Dwellers T1 and both monsters hidden. My opponent didn't deploy the cannons in the corner but rather close to eachother, so the monsters had a good position. Furthermore, they could advance to a fence T1 to at least help with some of the incoming firepower.

The following pictures show the deployment and early game:

My RBTs had clear lines of fire and his HBVG was far away from making an impact, luckily for me. He got T1 and all 3 cannonballs failed to hurt me at all. I could've used this luck later on, but I'll take it ;) I responded by moving both monsters up to the fence and have the bus in a counter-charge position should his demis try anything funny. I then IF Walk on the SD to between the enemy cannons. He responds by dual-charging Frostheart with Demis + STank (the latter needed 13+). I had made a mistake with my BSB's position so I didn't have re-rolls and the Frostheart broke, outrunning the Demis.

With the Demis trying to pursue, he exposed his flank to my Knights (the RBTs + Frostheart had dealt quite a bit of damage to them already). The Dragon had lost its Prince, but the good part of this was his inability to challenge me out. Time to strike back!

Dragon goes into big Halberdiers and I position corner-to-corner with his BSB. Knights flank the Demis. Eagle blocks STank from charging bus and locking it down. Frostheart rallies. Magic draws the scroll. Dragon eats BSB. Demis hold on Insane Courage: My Ogre Blade Noble challenges him out to keep my Helms safe (I lost the Champ to T1 miscast so I had a mage in the front rank).

The Demis then break and in my turn the bus goes into the Halberdiers engaged with the Star Dragon. I break their steadfast and run them down. The SD now has 6 wounds, but has to weather a full turn of shooting.

One cannon can only barely touch the Dragon and the STank goes into my bus to lock it down. The HBVG does a lot of the work needed however as it manages a lot of 6s to bring the Dragon down to 2W. This leaves the second cannon with clear LoS to simply roll a 2+, 2+ after hitting the Dragon. The ball lands home and it wounds, however the D6 wounds come up a '1' and the beast lives!

What ensues is a Dragon-combat vs the detachment-Halberdiers, with the last Demi (captain died to IF Arcane Unforging) rear-charging it as well. After wounding me twice (I made both saves on 4+) and killing the Demi, the Halberdiers broke as they sorely missed their BSB. This enabled my Dragon to charge a cannon with Helms T5, allowing the former to overrun out of the table on 1W T6. The bus was stuck in the grind and the Helmdart overran, killing the second cannon.

Counting up the points, I was ~1000 points ahead: Roughly a 16-4 win to the High Elves!

// Evaluation //

This game basically boiled down to a few, key events: My opponent failed to meet Dwellers casting value T2, his deployment allowed my monsters a safe haven and my IF Walk T1 put a LOT of pressure on him.

Other than that this remains one of my hardest matchups for this list. Light Coven is hard as well, but tends to suffer from weak combat buffs as opposed to the OMGWTF power of regrowth on the Steam Tank.

NexS

Re: Path To Glory - Return of the Dragonlord :)

#1137 Post by NexS »

Nice report Curu :)
i went back to my star dragon as well, and it was alot of fun.
I like the idea of walking the dragon (strange that I'd never thought of it before!). Do you feel that this was only something you'd do against a stationary army such as empire or dwarfs, or would you do that against an army like khorne?

Thanks for the report
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1138 Post by Curu Olannon »

The thing with Walk is that usually, you set up your units to co-ordinate properly when the movement phase is done, i.e. before you know whether Walk will go through or not. This means that Walk is not as good as some people believe it to be (believe me, it's great, but not insanely broken), but it also means that units with greater mobility and thus more flexibility can benefit more from it. A Star Dragon for example usually wants to either rush to a certain position, sort of regardless of what it'll encounter on its way, or it wants to threaten a specific point on the tabletop. As opposed to the bus, which is rather unwieldy despite its M9 and has a big footprint, the Dragon can relatively easily move around without necessarily losing out on these aspects and thus without disrupting the overall co-ordination as it was laid out during the movement phase.

For these reasons, I frequently walk the Dragon. Many times it draws a scroll. Many times it is absolutely game breaking. I did it in my last report as well, where it allowed me to set up a very dangerous charge on my Dark Elf opponent's bunker. I also did it in a recent game vs DoC where we had battle for the pass deployment, enabling me to close in a LOT quicker and thus weather way less Skullcannon-shots on my way in. Walking the Dragon is one of the key reasons why High Magic is so good with this list.

NexS

#1139 Post by NexS »

Fantastic!

Just a thought, in regards to having the army co-ordinated at the end of the move phase..
Would it be viable to take larger units of reavers and run them like light-silverhelms in order to keep the co-ordination further down the table, or would you find that smaller units would be fine to simply double flee or charge block where you'd hope to put your dragon?
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1140 Post by Curu Olannon »

Reavers are simply too weak. I've played something similar to this a bit and the sad fact of the matter is that they simply have to stay way too cautious to perform their intended role. Keeping the co-ordination is a universal problem though and while fast cav makes this easier, it's more about how the units project threat arcs (most importantly overlapping threat arcs, aka death zones). Single models are flexible in this regard because they have such a small footprint. Thus, having them on the left or right side of a bus for example doesn't necessarily matter too much. Moving a bus with 5x4 footprint however drastically changes the dynamic and its presence.