Path To Glory - ETC All Games Up!

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Path To Glory - 2d6 Conquest All Games Up!

#1501 Post by Curu Olannon »

Well... I won! My first singles win in a real tournament (I placed first in a league a couple of years back) :)

A quick write-up of the games (detailed reports to follow when ETC lists are published):

- Game 1 vs DoC: He gets T1 and opens with a box cars magic phase, putting 13 Plaguebearers in my face before I've even moved anything. With a unit of 8 Blight Kings zoning me out I am forced to play the waiting game. The TL;DR is that I kill his Skullcannon after he makes a mistake whereas he grabs a little more in return for a 12-8 loss for me.

- Game 2 vs SK: We play Meeting and I deploy first. I make a big gamble based on what I expect my opponent to do and it works. The result is that I'm able to isolate his units and deal with them piecemeal (which is absolutely crucial to combating Skaven) and I'm able to take away a 15-5 win, which I'm very happy with vs SK regardless of list.

- Game 3 vs EMP: We play King of the Hill and he deploys with both flanks exposed. I am able to harass them both to the point where his artillery is unable to make an impact and I dominate the middle from T4 as well. I grab the objective for a 17-3 win.

- Game 4 vs DoC: Scenario was Blood and Glory. My opponent didn't realize that 18" apart allows for some sneaky T1 charges and this sets me up to wipe a flank completely, early on. On top of this the dice are certainly not in my opponent's favour either as he keeps failing wards, dispels and I keep disengaging at the end of his turns (to charge afresh when my turns start). This is the first time in tournament (that I can remember) where I kill every single model from my opponent's army while giving up 0VP myself. Doing this vs DoC feels extra good. 20-0.

- Game 5 vs WoC: Game starts off slow with both players being relatively cautious T1. However T2 things go batshit crazy with both players making big risks. His pays off, mine doesn't, but a string of luck on my part (including a failed re-rollable LD9 break test leading to the demise of his Disclord) puts me in a perfect position to mop things up. At the bottom of T6 he had 1 model left on 1W. I had lost ~400VP so another 20-0.

The tournament used a 16-4 cap system so my battle points were 8+15+16+16+16 = 71. This put me 1 point in front of the runner-up who had 70 (luckily our soft scores were equal).

In total we had 34 participants which is pretty decent by Norwegian standards. Some of our strongest players were away for various reasons (a handful travelled to SCGT for example), but I still met powerful lists and/or skilled players throughout the tournament.

Funfact, being that this is Ulthuan and all: The runner-up ran an all-in High Elf list sporting Eltharion on Storming, double Frosthearts and a BOTWD-BSB Silver Helm unit. In game 5 he met a Dwarf gunline with 2 cannons and 2 organ guns (same player and same-ish army as I faced in my game 3 at 2d6 Conquest) and sent everything up T1. When the Dwarven artillery opened up he made all his 5++ saves (like a Daemon) and T2 all 3 monsters were slaughtering Dwarf infantry by the score.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Orchaldor

#1502 Post by Orchaldor »

Congratulations Curu!

Nice to see DoC on the receiving end of some punishment for a change!!! :twisted:

I look forward to reading the full reports in time. :D
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1503 Post by Curu Olannon »

Thank you :)
Orchaldor wrote: Nice to see DoC on the receiving end of some punishment for a change!!! :twisted:
Oh boy, you have no idea. DoC is currently one of the hardest armies out there to face. I have played so many games against them lately with multiple factions, you have no idea how much I hate all the stuff they can pull off.

As part of our preparations, we are making matchup matrices with expected results vs other lists. The Daemon entries here are usually through the roof compared to most others and playtesting the ones that seem to be too good often end up proving that they're even better. It's just scary.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1504 Post by SpellArcher »

Respect.

=D>
gaz

#1505 Post by gaz »

Awesome stuff!
Congrats =D>
Andros123

#1506 Post by Andros123 »

Very nice Curu. Congrats on the win!
RE.Lee

#1507 Post by RE.Lee »

A famous victory - well earned =D>
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Axiem
Rhetor militaris

#1508 Post by Axiem »

Been a while since I posted anything on your blog, but this deserves recognition!

Congratulations!

Your play is markedly better than even a few months ago. I expect we'll see several more 1st place finishes this year!

Axiem
John Rainbow

#1509 Post by John Rainbow »

Good to see you posting some games again! Good work on the results too!
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1510 Post by Curu Olannon »

Thanks everyone, much appreciated :)

As for future tournaments this year, there is another singles ETC tournament in a couple of weeks (significantly stronger field than this last one with our entire team present), the 3-man team tournament "Alliance" (as posted in the Fantasy section of this forum) at the end of May and hopefully at least one more team tournament before the ETC (ETC Warmup in Denmark for example). After that, I don't know what happens. If/when 9th hits it's anyone's guess what'll happen after summer's over :)

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1511 Post by Curu Olannon »

I am attending a 5-games single tournament this weekend. The comp is a slightly modified version of ETC rules. This time our entire team is present so the field is hard. Wish me luck :)

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1512 Post by Curu Olannon »

Day 1: 12-7-16 (the latter capped down from 20). This puts me at 35 points with the leader at 42. Hopefully, with a couple of strong games tomorrow, I can have a chance at the podium :)

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1513 Post by Curu Olannon »

Day 2: 16-15 (the former capped down from 20). This put me at a resulting 66 points (74 uncapped) which was enough for 2nd place! I tied the winner on BPs and true BPs (tiebreaker #1), but he had ~500 more VPs than me so he took the win on the 2nd tiebreaker. So close ;)

A quick walk-through of the games:

Game 1 vs Empire. He has tons of models and I can't position myself to take on the main units. A cascade in T6 costs me a BP or two as all the backline stuff I've cleared out is negated by losing my main caster. 12-8.

Game 2 vs Ogre Kingdoms. I roll poorly in an important combat and fail my Doom and Darkness'd stubborn test. The battle is very bloody but this puts the Ogres ahead. 7-13.

Game 3 vs Dwarfs. I am able to lock down the board early, put pressure on the backline and advance in safety. He gets an opening mid-game but his Hammerers fail a re-roll 9 LD test. Lucky for me, but luckily for him they don't run off the table (but rather towards the middle). Regardless this put him in a poor position as the rest of his army was stranded alone so I killed everything and left the bunker in the middle of the table for very few losses in return. 16-4 (from 20-0).

Game 4 vs Wood Elves. Despite facing an avoidance list with less drops than I have fingers on my left hand, I get T1. This proves disastrous as the mounting pressure on the Woodies proves to be too much: One failed panic test (outside of BSB bubble) and one careless position allowing a lock-down overrun seals the game. 16-4 (from 20-0).

Game 5 vs Warriors of Chaos. The game opens slowly with both players avoiding risk as much as possible. However a commit on his part to push one of my flanks allows me to perform a pincer-manoevre. Coupled with a turn where I'm lucky in both the magic phase and the shooting phase, he decides to go all in. It was a long shot and I responded flawlessly: He ended up paying a steep price for his gamble which gave me a big win: 15-5.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1514 Post by SpellArcher »

Nicely done!

:)
gaz

#1515 Post by gaz »

Nice job. 'grats!
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1516 Post by Curu Olannon »

Thanks, fellas :)

Just a quick update here: Lately I haven't played as much. RL has been busy so I've had around 1-2 games per week instead of 3-4 which has been the norm for quite a while. I'm approaching 150 practice games but more importantly I'm 95% sure I've landed the list for ETC.

With the final draft out some of my earliest builds are way beyond illegal so I'm intending to post up some of my first reports in the not-too-distant future.

We have 2d6 Alliance - 3 man team tournament here in Oslo - coming up next weekend. I'm attending with 2 other ETC players and the field is strong. Looking forward to interesting games!

I'm also partly on the lookout for quality ETC-comped tournaments in June-July. If anyone knows of such tournaments please leave me a message either here or by PM :)

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1517 Post by SpellArcher »

Be very interested to see those early testing games Curu.

http://www.warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewt ... 3&t=128353

Still a couple of team spots left. If not I'd imagine any team looking for a merc would be pleased to have you. I believe Seredain will be playing on Amit's team. You'll have met some of the guys at Slaughter.
Andros123

#1518 Post by Andros123 »

We also got ETC warmup here in Denmark. Very manageable trip I'd say :wink: .

I too am looking forward to see what you came up with for ETC. I really feel like I've tested that system a lot, so it will be interesting to see your take on it.
However my lists tend not to be as skewed as many other ETC lists, because I mainly participate in singles tournaments.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1519 Post by Curu Olannon »

@SpellArcher - Oh that's a very interesting tournament! I'll see if I can get +3 guys to take the trip with me :) I talked with Amit a fair bit @Sheffield, very nice guy. It's only a matter of time before I go back to the UK for a tournament, if I can't make it for this team event I'll come later!

@Andros123 - We were supposed to attend the warmup but too many players are unavailable. Furthermore for those in doubt the crazy schedule put them off, so unfortunately we had to ditch it this year.

As for High Elf lists, I think one of the main problems in designing them now is that they all, by and large, end up following the same template because of the restrictions imposed this year. I had a couple of concepts I really enjoyed that were nuked in the final draft. Under draft 1 we had a million options and then we were severely hindered in draft 2, after I became used to that the SD/BoH 1 choice brought me back to square 1 again. However now the draft has been stable for a while and I've seen lots of lists in play. While I am happy I ended up finding a list I enjoy playing with and that I consider decently strong, I think the lack of variety hurts High Elves a lot.

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1520 Post by Curu Olannon »

Ok, time for the very first practice game I had for our ETC preparations! This one was fought vs a copy of Sweden's OnG list from last year (OnG probably has the least variants of any factions in the game) and ended up being interesting.

.::. Battle Report - vs Orcs & Goblins .::.

Lists:
Prince on Star Dragon: Star Lance, Heavy Armour, Lion Cloak, Shield, Dragonhelm, Golden Crown of Atrazar, The Other Trickster`s Shard, 610
Prince on Barded Steed (General): Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Heavy Armour, 263
Life Archmage on Steed: Crown of Command, Dispel Scroll, Dragonbane Gem, 305
Lords: 1178

Noble BSB on Barded Steed: Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance, Banner of the World Dragon, 172
Noble on Barded Steed: Heavy Armour, Ogre Blade, Charmed Shield, Luckstone, 139
Heroes: 311

16 Silver Helms: Shields, FCG, 398
5 Reavers: Bows, Champion, 95
5 Silver Helms: Shields, Champion, 125
Core: 618

Frostheart Phoenix: 240
Great Eagle: 50
Rare: 290

Army Total: 2397
Black Ork Warboss: General ,Heavy Armour, Armed to the teeth, Talisman of Preservation, Crown of Command, Dragonhelm, 250
Savage Ork Great Shaman: Level 4, Big Waaagh!, Obsidian Loadstone, Sceptre of Stability, Golden Sigil Sword, 280
Savage Ork Big Boss: Battle Standard bearer, Great Weapon, Standard of Discipline, 119
Savage Ork Shaman: Level 1 Big Waaagh!, Lucky Shrunken Head, 120
Night Goblin Shaman: Level 1, Little Waaagh!, Dispell Scroll, 75
Goblin Big Boss on Wolf: Light Armour, Charmed Shield, Dragonbane Gem, Shrikeing Blade, 69

35 Savage Ork Big Unz: Standard, Musician, Second Choppas, 405
20 Night Goblins: shortbows, 2 Fanatics, 110
20 Night Goblins: shortbows, 2 Fanatics, 110

2x 9 Trolls: 2x 315

2x Doom Diver: 2x 80
2x Rock Lobba: 2x 85
Total: 2498
Pre-Battle Thoughts

He's got more drops, but he commits fast. I have no flexibility so I have to push. Reavers and the Eagle are on fanatic duties. I don't get Dwellers but it's kind of irrelevant here as I'd rather have easy-to-cast Lifebloom stuff and as I get Earthblood, Throne, Flesh and Regrowth it's about as good a spell selection as I could hope for.

I deploy the bus centrally with the Dragon and Frost behind a hill.

The following pictures show deployment and T1 (I started):

I push hard and his scroll is drawn. I get all the Fanatics out and 4 Reavers die for the troubles. OnG T1 is absolutely devastating as Foot hits med like 4 times, which coupled with laser guided artillery leaves the Frost on 3W, Dragon dead (Prince alive) and -5 Silver Helms.

Time to go all in!

My princes both charge to get the Night Goblins. Helmdart locks down other goblins in the flank. Frostheart tries a 20" charge to a WM which allows an overrun into his Warboss if I make it, which I do. Eagle charges a Doom Diver. In the magic phase I get the Throne + Flesh combo off, giving the Frostheart T10. Woho!

For my opponent's Trolls to reach the Prince his Goblin Hero has to charge the SH. He does this but the Hero runs and since he resolved this combat first I overrun into the Trolls. While the Prince dies, my flank charge is massive and he needs snake eyes, fails, run down. Frost does 1W to Warboss.

Throne is still up and I get off Flesh to Stone on the Helms for T7 in addition to Regrowth. Lifebloom heals the foot prince (worth 600vp) back to full life. Frost struggles with Warboss still and does 0w. Night Goblins die. Helms reform vs Trolls, unafraid of them due to T7. The Trolls charge the foot prince, I flee, redirects into bus. Big mistake. Frost is counter-charged by Savages but he takes the Warboss down (finally!) before I run off the table. Trolls die to T7 Helms.

After this I manage to keep the Prince alive, I clear the remaining artillery and the Night Goblins.

In the end I am just shy of 1000 VPs ahead, meaning it's a 16-4 victory to High Elves!

// Evaluation //

Keeping in mind 2 facts help explain the potential of this list: The Star Dragon died T1 and I still won 16-4. True, mistakes were made and some crazy turn-arounds did help me out a lot. In a team event, getting this list into a matchup where it can favourably push might not be the easiest thing, but for now our concern was "how hard is it?" and based on this game, we were eager to try it out further.

The list could probably have been optimized further as well, but as Warriors of Chaos players can assure you the character load-out becomes a bit of a headache when you load up on so many of them as I did here. What's interesting with the Star Dragon is that running this one alongside an Archmage and a mounted Prince is that the 1200 point limit becomes a bit of an issue as well.

In the final draft, this list sits comfortably at 8 PCs:
- mounted (1)
- star dragon (1)
- >60% characters (2)
- frost (1)
- botwd (3)

The "easy" way to fix this is to ditch the BOTWD but that's just an entirely different list ;)

sparkytrypod

Re: Path To Glory

#1521 Post by sparkytrypod »

Great to see you back in action!
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1522 Post by SpellArcher »

How would you call this match-up Curu?
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1523 Post by Curu Olannon »

@sparkytrypod - good to be posting actual content again :)

@SpellArcher - First, how would you call it and why?

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1524 Post by SpellArcher »

Touché!

:)

OK given I'm an average player and don't play either army...

I'd say a +1 to the High Elves. You lost the dragon turn one Curu and yet won heavily. Your opponent made some mistakes though.
Andros123

#1525 Post by Andros123 »

I think I would also give it to the high elves here. There is nothing that can reliably handle the star dragon nor the frostheart in the OnG army.

Btw people just started to put up their lists for the ETC warm up tournament:
http://www.powerfist.dk/forum/index.php?topic=87260.0

There is definitely some interesting and nasty ones among them. Double star dragon :shock: .
Andros123

#1526 Post by Andros123 »

And some more:
http://www.powerfist.dk/forum/index.php?topic=87361.0

Hmm, both HE lists I've seen so far does not have the banner of the world dragon
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1527 Post by Curu Olannon »

@SpellArcher - I´ll start with the TL;DR - I agree. +1 for HE on a +2 => -2 scale.

Looking at the issues more in-depth, this is a very tricky army to face for Orcs and Goblins because of its speed combined with resilience. These traits in combination is usually the worst thing a gunline can face. Orcs and Goblins already struggle with our powerful monsters (albeit in this game the SD bit the dust fairly early), when coupled with Lifebloom it just becomes super hard for them to deal with them. Other armies that try and bumrush Orcs and Goblins frequently fear their other mechanisms to a degree as well, for example WoC Daemon Princes don´t like Doom Divers and non-stubborn cowboys can frequently be at a huge disadvantage when engaged by the big blocks in terms of static CR. This High Elf list largely bypasses those issues: T7 is solid vs doom divers and the stubborn from BOTWD means the Dragon can land where it wants to without fear of being pushed aside. Lastly the bus hits hard and in combination with the Frostheart, it's quite durable in combat.

What makes it +1 and not +2 is the fact that Orcs and Goblins have some pretty decent replies to this configuration. First of all the High Elf list is completely without flexibility. If you manage to bait out some drops and movements early on you might gain enough time to for example kill off a monster or zone out Helms with Trolls. Likewise your characters can move around freely (which happened in this game) without fear of being shot down. This allows OnG to pull some tricks that HE have a hard time dealing with. Furthermore Doom Divers can annihilate the bus if your spell selection goes wrong or the OnG stops the crucial spells at the right time (as evidenced in my Sheffield game vs Dave for example) and the Rock Lobbers/Hand of Gork can downright win the game.

These things combined means that the matchup will usually swing one way or the other and almost always end up being a big win. Most of the time I believe HE will have the upper hand, but every now and then you're likely to suffer a big defeat here.

@Andros123 - Will be interesting to see those lists :) Double SD is nothing new though combining it with shooting is, to me, a fresh idea.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1528 Post by SpellArcher »

T7 must be very handy vs all the S5 stuff in the game.

The second HE list is interesting. What I'm not quite seeing is the utility of sitting that High AM in archers. Will he be in range to make full use of his spell options?
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1529 Post by Curu Olannon »

T7 is amazing and downright stupid when in combat with the Blizzard Aura and Lifebloom/Apotheosis as a backup. Some lists, let alone factions, get downright steamrolled by that.

Sitting multiple characters in a single unit of T3 no save Elves is extremely risky. I would not advice it ;)

RE.Lee

#1530 Post by RE.Lee »

Nice job - impressive how you managed to keep pushing even without the dragon. Its not easy to assault with such audacity!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy