Path To Glory - ETC All Games Up!

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Path To Glory - Sheffield Slaughter: All Games Up!

#1471 Post by Curu Olannon »

@Baleanoon - High Magic Dark Shards are nasty. I suggest you playtest that :) High Magic also has a few very good spells bearing in mind the current state of affairs for ET: Arcane is arguably the best but a lot of the rest of the spells are killers as well, depending on what you face.

@John Rainbow - Thanks :)

---

I just got home from an ETC singles tournament. I finished 4th (again...) out of 22. A small, but very strong field. I met an inexperienced player on OK Game 1 but the rest were ETC-player levels. The run was as follows:
- Game 1 OK Battleline: I kill the Gutstar for massive points. 20-0
- Game 2 WoC Meeting Engagement: I lose the roll-off and play from behind but it turns out that lacking Crown of Command is a real killer for a Chaos Lord. 20-0
- Game 3 BR Blood and Glory: I misjudge a couple of situations and although I am extremely lucky at one point, the dice are against me in a crucial 50-50 situation. I break and he remains unbroken, 2-18
- Game 4 WoC King of the Hill: I establish control of the table + mid quickly. An extremely lucky cacophonic choir completely ruins me in T4 and only the scenario going in my favour saves from a big loss, 10-10
- Game 5 TK Battleline: I play hyper aggressively and he responds in kind with a few ballsy moves of his own. I decide to leave the core of my army behind to try and hunt his bunker + soft points. Turns out both bunkers die, but I get the better end of the trade, 15-5

67/100 points and 4th place. 1st place was 74 points (Bretonnia player I played in game 3). Very interesting tournament. Scenarios add a lot to list building, but Meeting Engagement is just plain stupid. The ability to choose side -and- start unless your opponent rolls a '6' is just too good. A single dice roll ends up deciding way too much in a way that you cannot control.

A familiar face surveys the rest of the games from the prime position on table 1. Alas, this tournament saw me make too many mistakes and have too many crucial dice against me to get the points needed to get to the top.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1472 Post by Curu Olannon »

I have an upcoming tournament this weekend. Relatively small, local one with custom comp (low comp). Basically some blanket restrictions, basically lords-heroes-core-special-rare is 1-2-3-2-1 of the same type, meaning you can't take 2 princes but 1 prince + 1 archmage is fine for example etc. RBTs are excepted.

I'm thinking of doing something fun and all-out just to see how it plays. Something along these lines:
- Prince on Star Dragon
- Anointed on Flamespyre
- BSB on Great Eagle
- Frostheart Phoenix

Add Silver Helms to taste. If my rough calculations are correct, this should make room for an L2 with a scroll and fury ring ;)

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1473 Post by Curu Olannon »

Draft 1:
Prince on SD: 645
Anointed on Flamespyre: 525
BSB on Great Eagle: 210
Mage on Steed: 180
Core: 600
Frostheart: 240

Total: 2400

Would be great to squeeze the BSB on a Griffon but I don't think it can be done. Finding 150 points here is nigh on impossible: I can't ditch anything without losing tons and although a Griffon would be fun, it's not essential.

Sackree

#1474 Post by Sackree »

I haven't looked at the points at all but is it possible to upgrade the frosty to Caradryan on Ashati?

You get a slightly boosted phoenix that benefits from MR1, an additional 3 S5 attacks doing D3 wounds, the ability to kill any model that kills caradryan thanks to mark of asuryan.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Path To Glory - 2d6 Conquest Preparation

#1475 Post by Curu Olannon »

I've tried to make a lot of lists with Caradryan actually. They always end up having the points better spent elsewhere.

So, let's take a look at this specific list:
Prince on Star Dragon: Star Lance, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Preservation, The Other Trickster's Shard, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lion Cloak, 645
Anointed on Flamespyre Phoenix: Enchanted Shield, Giant Blade, Dawnstone, 525
Noble on Great Eagle: Battle Standard Bearer, Armour of Destiny, Lion Cloak, Shield, Lance, 207
Mage on Elven Steed: Level 2, High Magic, Dispel Scroll, Ring of Fury, 180

17 Silver Helms: FCG, Shields, 421
5 Ellyrian Reavers: Bows, 85
5 Ellyrian Reavers: Bows, Champion, 95

Frostheart Phoenix: 240

Army Total: 2398

OrkBeard

#1476 Post by OrkBeard »

Does the anointed boost the flamespyre's damage and survivability enough to be worth his cost? I've thought about using the unit before but am afraid that I'd be better of with a flamespyre in rare and another noble in the bus.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1477 Post by Curu Olannon »

A normal Flamespyre and an Anointed on a Flamespyre are two different things entirely. The "bus" in this particular army is no bus at all - it's just a unit of Silver Helms. At best, the BSB and mage camps there for temporary protection from ranged firepower, but that's it. A Noble contributes very little to what I'm trying to achieve here. If anything, I would do an Anointed on a Frostheart but I believe the list has enough punch as is and thus the added flexibility trumps it for me.

OrkBeard

#1478 Post by OrkBeard »

That makes sense, so would you use the anointed similar to the prince on Star Dragon or does it fulfill a different role? I ask because I'm not sure what the anointed brings to the table since no one in my meta ever uses them.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1479 Post by Curu Olannon »

Well, you can't really tell what role he'll have prior to his game, but his advantage is his flexibility. Being able to burn stuff while setting up is great ;)

sparkytrypod

#1480 Post by sparkytrypod »

god im looking at that and thinking where do i get easy points! reavers and that's it,

-if I am close enough for death snipes at the characters I am too close, also drain magic is ace, you can risk letting off doom & darkness and dispel purple sun
-if you are playing against cannons, the anointed flame phoenix protects the others if you are stuck for terrain/los blockers, and even if it goes down, it might come back
-banishment & cannons might be a bit tricky but empire usually lack much in the form of redirection so survive the first salvo and you are in.
- tricky choices, do you go for the easier but less dangerous bsb or the big scary star dragon & friends

playing against dark elves with this would make for an interesting game I think
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1481 Post by Curu Olannon »

Day 1 over. Met TK G1, SD dies T1. I go all in anyways and Anointed goes berserk. 13-7 after tons of crucial rolle. Game 2 and a true DW gunline on planet bowling ball. SD dies T1. Phoenixes go berserk but I lose everything. 10-10. Game 3 MSU WE. I cover the entire length of the table and push but there is not enough ranged presence to force bad spots for him. I kill a lot and lose fairly little, but msu units are not worth that much. 13-7.

That puts me on 36/60 points with the leader having 59. Reports will come, as will a more indepth reply to sparky :)

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1482 Post by Curu Olannon »

@sparkytrypod - This list is very typical for all-in lists in that regard: There usually isn't a whole lot to pick up points from. The same holds true for similar list types as typically featured by WoC, Empire, VC and DE for example.

The problem is that this list has no gears. It has one mode of playing and that is forwards, 100%. Choosing what to engage is about the only decision you make. That, and calculating risk of course: Even the Star Dragon can't walk freely around.

So I thought I'd add a few more notes for the games.

This shows the situation vs TK after our T1s. I'd sent the dragon up, tempting a charge for him where he could hope to challenge-break me, I would likely be testing on LD6-7 with re-roll. If I pass this, I have the majority of his combat threat locked down without serious casualties. Anyways what happened was that I failed to contain his magic completely: His Doom and Darkness got through my dispel roll and that meant I couldn't use the scroll for Purple Sun. To add insult to injury the Prince failed his I8 test as well.

After this I sent the Frost into the Horse Archers protecting his flank while the Anointed + BSB went into the Tomb Guards. The bus took care of the fast cav and overran into the horde as well. From here we just had a big grind with lots of crazy rolls!

Ah yes, planet bowling ball. This terrain was completely devoid of useful terrain, unless you were willing to stay 30"+ away from the castle. My opponent had 2 cannons, 1 GT and 1 Organ Gun, all runed up. I move everything up like you can see in the picture above. The Dragon then dies to the 2 cannons and the Prince fails his 2++ vs the fire-runed cannon. This was a big blow as the Prince could've made it behind the hill to conserve 745 points. Anyway, I sent everything into the left block, which was Longbeards with stubborn banner and hw + shield, using the Frost to screen away the Hammerers. Reavers blocked his other things for long enough and in the end, the grind killed just about every unit on both sides.

Deployment vs WE. I use the bus with the Star Dragon close by to clear one flank, Frostheart zones the center and the Anointed plays solo. It was all about creating angles and impossible situations here but I was up against a hyper-mobile list with tons of flyers and fast cav so it was really hard pinning him down. A very interesting game!

Tomorrow I imagine will be a lot like today. Deployment is relatively easy, reavers go down first to gauge where my opponent is going then all the flyers go down in optimal positions. After this, it's full speed ahead for 6 turns :D

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Path To Glory - 2d6 Conquest Live Results

#1483 Post by Curu Olannon »

14-6 vs OK game 4.

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1484 Post by Curu Olannon »

0-20 game 5 vs DoC for a total of 50 points.

Galharen
Master of Brushes

#1485 Post by Galharen »

what happened there?
John Rainbow

#1486 Post by John Rainbow »

Ooof! You don't go down too easy. I'm assuming something terrible happened or some really good/bad luck?
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1487 Post by Curu Olannon »

@Galharen @John Rainbow - Nothing special happened. Daemons happened. I don't have BOTWD so I can't expect to do anything about them. The list I was facing had LoC L4 TZ, Nurgle BSB regen, Plaguebearers block, horrors, 5 + 3 Beasts, 4 Drones with MR(1) Banner, Skullcannon. T1 Frostheart dies to bolt + gateway, cannon takes 4W off of dragon. T2 dragon can't push vs his units because he'll lock me down so I have a huge zone I can't enter, have to try and set something up. He pounds me again, scroll comes out, Dragon down to 1W after Cannon fails to kill it. T3 my Anointed gets Plagues to the face and breaks => run down, Star Dragon dies to magic. That leaves my Helms remaining, locked in by all his units, with 3 turns to hunt me down. I concede the rest of my points. My opponent won the tournament with 86bp @5 games, running 19-20-20-7-20, facing Empire, Dwarfs, Warriors of Chaos, Wood Elves and me. He met nothing but ETC-level players.

Reports will come, but Daemons are broken. Without BOTWD we really don't have a fighting chance. I have played tons vs Daemons as part of our ETC preparation and even with BOTWD it is often an uphill battle. That said, I could easily have taken a stronger list to this tournament but I wanted to try something different. If I were to tool my list to play the comp, I would do a BOTWD-deathtrain list I think, maybe High Magic, with Frost and bolters. That list would have been a disaster for Daemons as the Helms are untouchable and will grind units really quick. Anyway, that's the price you pay for playing something gimmicky: Sooner or later you run into something you can't handle and you lose big. A dwarf gunline is one thing, he basically gets 1 or maybe 2 turns of shooting before I hit home, but when I do, he dies. A Lord of Change and Skullcannon on the other hand are two units I can't catch because his units zone me out. Beasts with Nurgle BSB can tie down the Star Dragon for a LONG period of time and the Drones reliably zone the Anointed, as evidenced by him breaking T3. The Lord of Change can just dance around, I have nothing he's afraid of, and spam bolt + gateway.

Daemons is such a stupid book because they break half the rules in warhammer and don't have weaknesses as an army. Sure, some armies might struggle with Death, some might not be able to handle poison-spam etc but at the end of the day you have a built-in innate ability that is stupidly good vs MSU (Reign of Chaos), entire army ITP and thus no need to worry about panic and daemonic unbreakability which makes even stubborn look like shit in comparison. I'm not doing myself any favours by bringing a knife to a gunfight - you can make some pretty terrifying HE lists under this comp - but this game just shows how nasty DoC can be.

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Path To Glory - Invasion 2014 Game 2/5 up!

#1488 Post by Curu Olannon »

2d6 Conquest, our gaming club's annual event known for its low-comp approach. This year was no exception. I decided to use the opportunity to bring a hyper-aggressive list, basically just cram in as many flying threats as possible and see how we can go from there.

.::. Battle Report - Conquest #1 vs Tomb Kings .::.
Points Before the Game: 0/0

Lists:
Prince on Star Dragon: Star Lance, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Preservation, The Other Trickster's Shard, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lion Cloak, 645
Noble on Great Eagle: Battle Standard Bearer, Armour of Destiny, Lion Cloak, Shield, Lance, 207

Khatep (Loremaster Nehekara)
High Liche priest; Death lvl4, Dispel Scroll

Ramhotep (Gir Necro Knights reroll armour save, og Tomb Guards frenzy og hatred)
Tomb Prince: GW, Opal Amulet

29 Archers; Standard, Musician
10 Archers
10 Archers
10 Archers
5 Horse Archers
5 Horse Archers
5 Horse Archers
5 Horse Archers

6 Necro Knights; FC
27 Tomb Guards; Halberds, FC, Razor standard

Casket
Skullhapult
Skullhapult

= 2600 on the spot.
Pre-battle thoughts and deployment:

Well, not much to say here. The sooner I can get my flyers stuck, the better. I deploy centrally and intend to rush everything towards his bunkers. With +1, I grab T1.

The SD is very exposed and my opponent takes the charge: 2 ranks, banner, downhill means he will win combat unless my prince fluffs all attacks and the dragon gets to strike. I was willing to take this risk but didn't realize a unit of horse archers could flank me as well. Without BOTWD this could get iffy then. Regardless, we never got that far because his first spell was D&D and I failed to dispel it on dice, meaning I couldn't scroll Purple Sun due to broken concentration. As a result, the Dragon died just like that, the Prince going down on a '6' as well.

No reason to stop! Anointed, BSB and Helms go into Tomb Guards. Reavers take out the outer catapult. Frost goes into screening horse archers. In my turn the first Horse Archers go down and the Helms overrun into TG with Ramhotep + L4 Death. Ramhotep challenges. BSB accepts but fails to kill him (!). This is huge as he maintains frenzy + hatred, which means he does a ton of damage to Helms. Luckily I win so he loses frenzy at least. Frostheart takes out a unit of horse archers but crucially, I fail to do enough damage in the second combat to overrun again and thus help out vs Tomb Guards. Necroknights go into Anointed's flank but he targets the Anointed with everything and 2+/2+/4++ ensures that I win combat big: Without frenzy and hatred re-rolls he can't keep up with my damage output.

Frostheart kills Archers and suffer quite a few wounds from shooting and magic. Tomb guards and Necroknights are almost all killed.

Frost has an 18" charge to Khatep + bunker. I fail it.

Frost is killed, Anointed dies to Archer fire (!), Flamespyre passes MR test.

Flame + BSB into bunker. Khatep has hid behind the secondary bunker.

Flamespyre is killed in combat after desiccation reduces me to T4. I roll a very lucky '6' in my T6 however and charge Khatep, killing him off. This last, lucky string of events is enough to send HE to a 13-7 win!

Evaluation

Going up as aggressively as I did with the Dragon was probably too much T1, but I was counting on taking an LD7-LD8 test with BSB re-roll, which is more than likely to succeed. This list has no gears and no flexibility, it's all about getting things stuck and then have the grind begin.

When the dragon goes down my choice is easy: Tomb Guards are exposed and I have a clear shot at making a decisive blow. With the Anointed on their flank the Necroknights are somewhat contained as well: Having them charge Helms is disastrous.

In the end lots of crazy rolls were crucial here: The Frost not killing horse Archers and then failing the charge on his bunker, Anointed going down to arrow fire and then the bird coming back up on a 6 to kill Khatep... A very tense game from the beginning to the end!

Opponent`s Final Placing: 10/24
My Points: 13/20

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1489 Post by Curu Olannon »

Game 2 and a true gunline staring down at me.

.::. Battle Report - Conquest #2 vs Dwarfs .::.
Points Before the Game: 13/20

Lists:

Runesmith scroll
Engineer
BSB 4++

Longbeards-block, stubborn banner
Hammerers-block
Warriors-block
Quarrellers

2 Cannons
1 GT
1 Organ Gun
^ all runed up

With no decent terrain to hide anything behind during an advance, this was a simple choice: Charge!

I got T1 with my +1 for first. Everything moved up and I was close-ish to the hills on the West so that the Prince could dodge behind in case he'd survive the SD going down. Alas it was not to be: He failed his 2++ vs fire from the flaming cannon and there goes 745VP T1 again. I then charged everything into Longbeards and reformed the Frost to present its flank to the Hammerers, shielding the Helms.

BSB clears the backfield of artillery. Reavers keep Warriors out. Apotheosis goes through and keeps the Frost alive for long enough to stall the Hammerers until the Longbeards are killed off.

I charge the Hammerers. Anointed's Flame goes down after I fail 4/4 4++ wards (it had taken 1W previously) and this time I fail the roll to come up and the bird dies. If he had come back up I believe this game would've been a huge win to me as I could've charged his last block. Instead, my Helms were stuck and I had no more redirectors as my mage was hiding behind the hills.

I charge the last WM off the table. Perhaps I could've reformed and gotten away.

After this I come onto the table again and reform to a single file. This leaves my opponent needing a 10+ on his charge to reach me, which he gets. As the Helms go down then he nets himself + 450VP which is enough to bring the game to a 10-10 tie: He had 2 small units left, I had BSB + mage left but had tons of bonuses.

Evaluation

Not much to say about this game really. It played itself I feel. Having maps like this really favours gunlines though, there is way too much open space. I would have loved to play RBTs here for example ;)

Opponent`s Final Placing: 15/24
My Points: 23/40

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1490 Post by Curu Olannon »

The last game of day 1 saw me face MSU Wood Elves. A fairly unique army with lots of hyper-mobile choices, leaving me with an interesting challenge on my hands.

.::. Battle Report - Conquest #3 vs Wood Elves .::.
Points Before the Game: 23/40

Lists:

Trygve Tremann, lvl 4 Life
Stine spellsinger på steed med scroll, lvl 2 beast
Asbjørn, lord på steed med hail of doom
Hero on great eagle
Bjørnar, helt på gizzlybjørn (Great stag) med styrkedrikk

12 glade guards med truflight
21 dryader
5 glade riders
5 glade riders
5 scouts med hagbane
7 wildriders
8 sisters og the thorn, gleaming pennant
3 warhawk riders
5 waywatchers

The interesting part about this matchup is that I have nothing to corner the Wood Elves in with. I have to catch him. That is a problem for me because he is so mobile. I proceeded to put bus off-center with SD, frost mid and Anointed off-flank. The idea was to wake stuff while the rest zoned him out and then catch stuff, eventually.

I grabbed T1 and moved up. Anointed killed 2 Hagbanes with Wake, they passed panic. Magic can't remember, probably nothing. Reavers blocked WR + Great Stag hero so they couldn't charge anything, even better I got the WR in my flank. He fails his Frenzy test and that means WR are stuck.

I charge WR with bus + Frost and overrun bus into Great Stag Hero. He rear-charges me with Warhawks but in combat he loses by 1 and fails BOTH LD9 break tests! I pursue the Stag Hero. Mixed feelings here, by chasing the Hawks I would've had Helms in a better position to crush his Eastern flank. Also Anointed waked his L2 with scroll to death after he forgot to measure it up.

Dragon eats the eagle hero after my 2nd Reavers were sacrificed to pin him down. Lots of wombo-combo charges sees his Sisters annihilated in a pursuit (very complex sequence of charges here). Frost dies to shooting after he IF dispels boosted Apotheosis.

I move up to threaten the rest of his things.

Dragon + Anointed kill his Dryads. I was hoping they'd hold on Steadfast so I could reform at the end of his turn and get fresh charges.

Helms are Dwellered by the Treeman.

In my last turn I flame a unit of GR but a sole Trueflight-dude survives the flaming breath weapon. He fails to kill my last few points and with that, the game was over.

I was roughly 550 points ahead, giving me a 13-7 win!

Evaluation

Very interesting game, very hard for me to catch him. Some mistakes on his part + lack of BSB really enabled me to open him up early on. My aversion to commit the Dragon vs the Treeman in fear of the new Tree Whack probably cost me a big win. Should've taken that risk as the ever-present threat of Dwellers is so nasty.

The game really highlights the importance of ranged presence in a HE pushy army. We don't have the magic or artillery to really force movements (unlike, say, DoC with Bolt, Treason, Gateway and Skillcannons) but with multiple RBTs armies like WE really have to beware. I sorely lacked this kind of backup in this game. As usual, the Anointed was an absolute beast!

Opponent`s Final Placing: 7/24
My Points: 36/60

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1491 Post by Curu Olannon »

Day 2 and I was facing a vanilla OK push army: Tough gutstar, mournfang, combat-maneaters and the inevitable skillblaster.

.::. Battle Report - Conquest #4 vs Ogre Kingdoms .::.
Points Before the Game: 36/60

Lists:

Tyrant
L4 heavens
BSB maw
L1 Gut

7 Ironguts FCG Look-out
5 Ironguts FCG

1 cat

2x 2 Mournfang
4 Combat-Maneaters
1 Ironblaster

Unlike WE, this army has tons of things I can catch. Unlike Dwarfs, I don't absolutely have to have everything in combat ASAP. This game was my favourite of the weekend with lots of choices on both sides and a constant race against time for my part.

I opened my deployment with the bus a little too central and my opponent capitalized on this by basically boxing me in. Too many things zone the bus. I placed flyers on either flank with the Anointed going solo yet again.

Despite my +1, he grabbed T1.

I think I blew my scroll T1. Dragon took a couple of wounds from IB as well. I then moved stuff up.

He decides not to charge and magic + skillcannon leaves the prince dead and the SD on 1W. I know I need more time and even though risking +645 VP is insane, I can't start hiding it at this point in time. Anointed is burning the gutstar and threatening the Ironblaster, many thanks to Walk. Mage joins Reavers. Bus gives him an interesting choice.

Gutstar into SD. Flee. Mournfang into Helms. Hold. I then rally and walk Dragon behind the impassable and the Helms hold, I move BSB + Frost to counter. Ironblaster blows up, Anointed keeps burning Gutstar. They are taking some serious casualties between all the burns, dangerous from ruins, IB blowing up etc.

Push keeps coming, but I am in a perfect position to counter it.

Both Reavers block his counter-push. Frost + BSB go into Mournfang and luckily, the last one holds on snake eyes! This is perfect for me (he had 1W left) as I can then be safe from his magic and break him at the bottom of his turn.

Ah yes, special notice to these crazy dice. The 6 dice on the left is his to wound roll on my Frostheart after his Iceshard Blizzard scored 6 hits. The 5 dice on the right is my ward saves after I failed all armour saves. Yatzhee on both sides :D

OK turn over. I forgot to angle the Anointed so he could charge if he overran big. Stupid mistake on my part.

Frost into bunker. Dragon moves up. Anointed comes out.

Frost holds, lucky me after he rolled poorly, but BSB + Helms are killed and panicked off with a chain lightning going berserk. Too bad losing so many points there, but that's the game sometimes.

In the final turn of the game the Dragon does not charge as the Tyrant can direct his attacks on me and that is just not worth the risk. Instead the Anointed goes in and he + Frost deal tons of damage without taking much back. The only one left alive is the Tyrant. He flees but rolls box cars and I fail to catch him.

A very bloody battle but since the Dragon lived it was in my favour despite Helms + BSB going down T6: 14-6 win to High Elves!

Evaluation

This game was interesting because he had a lot of counters to my list and a lot of things I had to respect: The Dragon can't simply go up against the gutstar for example and Anointed needs to beware of combat res. Bus can't just roll up without support and finally my monsters would rather be in combat than facing Heavens + Skillblaster shots. His Ironblaster dying was lucky, but I would've charged it regardless. He did after all pick 5W on the Dragon and 3W on the Prince in the 2 previous turns (with magic adding another on the dragon), which is more than fair for average rolls.

Again a shoutout to the Anointed who proved to be a game-winner. It's interesting to note that in all 4 of my games thus far he has been more crucial than the Star Dragon by far: When the name of the game is catching stuff and putting on the hurt -before- combat is initiated, he is just ace. That said, I didn't exactly face any really strong combat things yet and if the SD had lived beyond T1 vs DW or TK, it would more than likely have been 20-0 in my favour.

Opponent`s Final Placing: 7/24
My Points: 50/80

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1492 Post by Curu Olannon »

Alright, the last, dreaded game of Conquest 2015. This will be quick. I drew DoC and I immediately knew that my chances of going 0-20 were big. Solid player and near-optimal list, in addition being a perfect counter to my crazy train.

.::. Battle Report - Conquest #5 vs Daemons of Chaos .::.
Points Before the Game: 50/80

Lists:

Lord of Change
Nurgle BSB regen

Plaguebearers
Horrors

5+3 Beasts

4 Plague Drones, MR1 Banner
Skillcannon

The problem in this matchup is as follows: My monsters are fearful of Beasts. They can pin me down until help arrives. The bus can't do anything but provide static, assuming that static isn't outweighed by the damage they take that is.

Anyway, onto the game. I lose roll for T1 and DoC move out first.

Frost goes down instantly to bolt + IF gateway. Dragon takes wounds from Skillcannon. I then try a 22" charge from the Anointed on the LoC, there's nowhere sensible to move anyway since his Drones got T1 and zones me out and with the Frost going down I'm even further away from getting anything useful done. I fail. Dragon moves up. Bus moves up.

No risks on DoC part. Dragon is nearly dead.

I try a flanking approach. I basically have to make something happen.

DoC then kill the dragon with magic and shooting (scroll was blown T2), Anointed breaks and is run down in combat vs Drones.

At this point I concede. I can't hide nearly enough points to make a difference anyways: Reavers (180), Frost (240), Prince + SD (745) and Anointed (525) is 20-0 as is.

Evaluation

It's on me to bring a wacky list like this. This is a tough matchup because I can't do anything vs the LoC apart from getting stuck in combat (and even that is a risky proposition with Wand of Whimsy) and I can't get stuck in combat unless it's on my premises.

Still. Daemons. I truly hate that book. Warhammer would be a better place without them. I have learned to live with the broken things that are in this game, be it Skaven toys, Dark Elf avoidance madness, LZ MSU, WE shooting and whatever else counters High Elves really well, but it always boils down to Daemons being the worst. The army is completely devoid of weaknesses, there's always an answer in that book.

Anyway, it was a fun weekend and I got to play something different from risk-averse ETC-style, which was a welcome change after nearly 100 practice games since October. Hopefully I´ll be able to attend tournaments with lists that allow me to play my preferred style without being as one-dimensional as this one. Hopefully you've all learned a thing or two about hyper-aggressive air force lists as well ;)

Opponent`s Final Placing: 1/24
My Final Placing: 16/24
My Points: 50/100

PadForce

Re: Path To Glory - 2d6 Conquest All Games Up!

#1493 Post by PadForce »

Sounds like a tough but fun tournament. Always enjoy reading your reports because of the depth of analysis you go into.. it really helps me because I play against only a few different armies with my friends so when I go to tournaments sometimes the only thing I know about the opponents' armies are what i've read on your blog!

Also just got my first dragon - never liked the GW dragons so never got one, but saw such a thing as a Carmine dragon existed in your reports and had to get one!

Question: what have you done for your lord riding the dragon? I havnt painted mine yet so I have a while to decide, but I was going to magnetise something on, with my options being:
1) Use an elf from a normal kit like silver helms / dragon princes
2) Get an elf from one of the bsb or lord kits
3) Use a spare frost phoenix rider but try to replace the halberd with a lance and shield..

Cheers.
Fleekaf

Re: Path To Glory - Sheffield Slaughter Preparation

#1494 Post by Fleekaf »

SpellArcher wrote:Without being rude, I wouldn't put your next opponent at ETC level Curu. But he's no mug and very experienced with O&G (and is obviously going well here). Expect one or two unusual picks.
I've been taking all my fave/centerpiece models for about a year and a half to pick up painting nominations & hopefully more! give me a break! lol!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1495 Post by SpellArcher »

Sorry mate, my bad.

But after they make Curu play Russ Veal round one (and he caps the guy!) anything is going to be a comedown!
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1496 Post by Curu Olannon »

@PadForce - Thanks, glad to know you enjoy the read :)

My Dragon lord is converted from scratch. I can't remember what bits I used. He's pinned to the carmine dragon :)

@Fleekaf - Your army certainly was beautiful mate and I thoroughly enjoyed our game. I think it's a shame that OnG has no solutions to 50% of the silliness that comes out from the ET madness but you still managed a very decent finish at Sheffield :)

@SpellArcher - I appreciate the input I get in situations like this ;) I knew nothing about any of my opponents save for what I heard from the players around me.

Post tournament summary will hopefully be completed this week.

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1497 Post by Curu Olannon »

Playing in a singles tournament this weekend. 3/5 done so far, went 8-12 vs DoC, 15-5 vs SK and 16-4 (capped) vs EMP. After our trip to Sheffield Slaughter quite a few of us became fans of the 16-4 cap system in play there so we've decided to start using it for our tournaments. That leaves me with 39/48 points for day 1 and, as usual, the leader is at 48/48. Comp pack is ETC and we're roughly 35 participants.

The 2 games tomorrow will be BnG and Battleline. Wish me luck!

PS! I still hate DoC. Stupidest army in the game by a longshot.

Andros123

#1498 Post by Andros123 »

Hi Curu.

I've heard you before mentioning you hate DoC. I'm kind of curious - why is that?
I hope you'll do a wrap up on the tournament and good luck!
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1499 Post by Curu Olannon »

Because DoC are stupid. They ignore half the rules in the game and are strong enough not to care about the other half. They have next to no weaknesses and even their weak matchups frequently turn to minor losses/ties/even wins. Playing against a strong DoC player is like fighting an uphill battle from T1. They can have tons of drops, don't panic, have huge range and durability, their core is really strong (not decent, strong) and their elites have capabilities that go beyond what most other factions in Warhammer can boast of.

Daemons are, as far as I'm aware, always on top or close to the top around the world almost regardless of meta. As someone said when I was at Sheffield Slaughter: You can't comp the book: It's too strong.

Usually, it's a sign of brokenness that an army can tank the supposedly strong things found elsewhere in the game. For example natural counters to Daemons, on paper, include Banner of the World Dragon, Banishment and Death Magic. In actual practice, neither of these tend to do exceptionally well vs DoC. At best, they even the field. At worst, they make a player think he stands a chance when the fact is that he is likely to get smashed.

Oh and don't get me started on their proprietary rules like Reign of Chaos/Daemonic Unbreakability. The former has downright won DoC several games against me (and it's never helped me significantly), including killing a BSB set up for a combo-charge, transforming a Loremaster to a Herald and endless boxcar-spawns of 0-VP units laying waste to a quad-bolter backline. Daemonic Unbreakability is even worse, with the GW FAQ that they can't be reduced below 0 it's just the best ability in the game, barring pure unbreakable, in terms of CR resolution.

DoC has traditionally been among the most popular and well-performing armies at the ETC. Typically featured in 3/3 of the podium armies and being among the top 3 (2014: no. 1 top scoring) scoring armies. This year will be no different. Daemons are, relative to the field, stronger than ever.

sparkytrypod

#1500 Post by sparkytrypod »

best of luck bud!

hopefully you can doa write up if you have the time and it doesn't disclose any etc list stuff
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER