Path To Glory - ETC All Games Up!

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Path To Glory - Challenge Game 3 Up

#1261 Post by Curu Olannon »

@Browncastle - Thanks! To be fair, the dice were with me here in a lot of cases. With that said, the overall strategy worked well and with the multitude of 1+ models around, this is hard matchup for me. His STank was never closer than 13" (it might have been 12" at one point) after pivoting.

@pk-ng - I have a handful of concepts but I have to keep these off the radar this time around, unfortunately. I'm sure you can see why ;) Suffice is to say I think it's a very promising first draft.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Path To Glory - Invasion 2014 Game 2/5 up!

#1262 Post by Curu Olannon »

1st game of day 2 saw me face Wood Elves in the hands of an extremely strong player. This is a matchup that can swing both ways, but the scenario was to control a blood forest in the middle of the table which heavily favours him. I was nevertheless intending to go for the big plays here - with only 5 points up to the leader a big win could set me up for actually winning the event. Game on!

.::. Battle Report - 2d6 Challenge #4 vs Wood Elves (GF) .::.
Points Before the Game: 43/60

Lists:
Anointed of Asuryan on Flamespyre Phoenix: Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Potion of Foolhardiness, 430 (1CP)
Noble on Ithilmar Barded Elven Steed: Battle Standard Bearer, Dragon Armour, Golden Crown of Atrazar, Star Lance, Shield, Dragonhelm, 172
High Mage: Level 2, Sceptre of Stability, Obsidian Amulet: 165
High Mage: Level 2, Dispel Scroll, Ring of Fury: 170 (1CP)

2x 10 Silver Helms: FCG, Shields, 2x 260
5 Ellyrian Reavers: 80

2x 9 Shadow Warriors: Shadow-walker 2x 136

15 Sisters of Avelorn: 210
Frostheart Phoenix: 240 (2CP)
2x 1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower: 2x 70 (1CP)

Army Total: 2399 - 5/5CP spent
Spellweaver. High magic, elvensteed powerl scroll, obisidan lodestone
Glade captain, bsb, hail of doom arrow
Sisters of twilight
Waystalker
Waystalker

12 Glade guard, musician, champion, Hagbane
12 Glade guard, musician, champion, trueflight
23 Dryads, champion

10 Wlidriders, standard, musician Disipline
7 Wardancers
5 Scouts, starfire

5 Waywatchers
Eagle
Eagle
Treeman

+225VP (3CP)
Pre-battle thoughts and deployment:

Basically to win this game I have to put pressure on him with the flyers to avoid him shooting my shooters down. To this end the plan was to have my cavalry wrap around a flank, the Phoenixes to go central and the rest to shoot him down, one unit at a time. I went for a corner-deploy with RBTs central and he responded with the Treeman on my flank with Dryads + Waystalkers (poised to enter a house T1) and the rest of his army central, too far away for me to target with anything but RBTs.

I grab first turn and move up. Shooting + magic doesn't do a whole lot. In his T1 the Sisters of Twilight kill the Frostheart Phoenix outright. Bad start. It was now becoming clear to me that contesting the woods would be impossible. With its +750vp and his +225vp and the Frostheart dead, this meant I was already looking at a pretty big loss. I decided it was time to go all-in and hope the dice were with me. The idea was to send the anointed on a solo mission, spend soul quenches + arrows to rid the house of waystalkers + dryads and have the cavalry counter the Treeman. Lots of things had to work out and I had no plan for how to deal with his remaining forces save for the Anointed.

I make a long 20" charge with the Anointed. He moves Wardancers to prevent me from reforming and the rest shuffle away. I deal massive damage to the Dryads.

The Anointed realizes it's crucial to get out the waystalkers + dryads before I lose my mages. I move him back instead of going up on his own again as there's no immediate threat to my units from the WRs. The cavalry charges his Treeman. After this, the house is cleared and the position is secure. The Treeman is down to 2 or 3W. I'm thinking that I can sacrifice the Anointed now to keep him busy while I take pot-shots to hopefully gain points from e.g. Waywatchers and Scouts. I have 5 Helms left and with a banner + BSB in range I'm unlikely to run from the Treeman: If he kills one or two the second cavalry hammer can charge him and Star Lance should tip the odds in my favour.

The Anointed is slingshotted across the table, aided by an IF Walk which kills my mage. Wake of Fire does next to nothing as I roll crappy. The Treeman breaks me and runs me down. Oh-oh.

The treeman charges my knights. The BSB dies but he loses combat and I run him down after he finally fails a break test. The Anointed's Phoenix is shot down but I roll a '1' for Phoenix Reborn.

The end result is pretty bad. I've killed ~900 points or so but have lost so much in return: With the Treeman combat turning against me I was down 17-1800 points. With his added 225 and the scenario 750, this was a 0-20 loss for the High Elves.

Evaluation

The first mistake of the game was my Frostheart moving to where it did T1. Zoning the center of the board holds absolutely no value here: There are no units he wants to send there and the Frostheart is just exposed for no good reason. Instead, I should've sent it West to zone the Treeman and hug the heavy terrain there for cover. Now granted, he was lucky to shoot it down like that but it's an unnecessary risk to take in the first place.

After this it was all downhill. I had to hope for averages all the day, much like in my Empire game, but when the 50-50 situations turned against me basically everything unravelled. The loss was bad, the scenario boosted it. I should've known prior to the game that contesting the scenario would be impossible and tried to tank a small loss. Well, "small" being 1000vp, but playing aggressively is more likely to lead to an even bigger loss than anything else.

With the Treeman properly zoned/killed, I could've turned towards the center with a lot more pressure: Wild Riders are scary but they cannot handle a charge from both phoenixes and if everything else in the vicinity is cleared out, they do fear my firepower.

Opponent's Final Placing: 2/32
My Points: 43/80

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Path To Glory - Invasion 2014 Game 2/5 up!

#1263 Post by Curu Olannon »

The last game of the tournament saw me drop down to table 8 from table 2. At this point I just wanted to secure a somewhat decent overall position. Suffice is to say, I knew I had to work hard with the last matchup being Dark Elves - always a tough matchup for us. I was determined to make it work however, after all this tournament had shown me how this army can play. Game on!

.::. Battle Report - 2d6 Challenge #5 vs Dark Elves (GF) .::.
Points Before the Game: 43/80

Lists:
Anointed of Asuryan on Flamespyre Phoenix: Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Potion of Foolhardiness, 430 (1CP)
Noble on Ithilmar Barded Elven Steed: Battle Standard Bearer, Dragon Armour, Golden Crown of Atrazar, Star Lance, Shield, Dragonhelm, 172
High Mage: Level 2, Sceptre of Stability, Obsidian Amulet: 165
High Mage: Level 2, Dispel Scroll, Ring of Fury: 170 (1CP)

2x 10 Silver Helms: FCG, Shields, 2x 260
5 Ellyrian Reavers: 80

2x 9 Shadow Warriors: Shadow-walker 2x 136

15 Sisters of Avelorn: 210
Frostheart Phoenix: 240 (2CP)
2x 1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower: 2x 70 (1CP)

Army Total: 2399 - 5/5CP spent
Dreadlord on Manticore with Iron Hard Skin, 1+, Charmed Shield, No-armour save sword
L4 Dark Magic, Hotek, Scroll
BSB, Peg, 4++
Death Hag, Witchbrew

15 Witchelves, muso
15 Witchelves, muso
5 Dark Riders, kit
7 Dark Riders, kit

15 Black Guard, muso
10 Shades
1 Reaper
1 Hydra

2x5 Warlocks
Pre-battle thoughts and deployment:

This would be a game I knew would be dominated by mobility, force concentration and shooting power. I deployed heavily towards his weak flank, intending to wipe it all there in 2 turns (much like I did in game 1, only in this game I could deploy even better to this end) and then wheel towards the center. I had the Knights towards the center where I was intending to zone his infantry, hoping to have the mobility to move out if trouble started.

In a flurry of magic and shooting his Shades and a unit of Warlocks disappear immediately. On the West, I charge his Warlocks which flee. I figured that I didn't lose anything as my zoning was good as we were, and if he held and I'd reach him it would be a huge pain for him to deal with. He responded by trying to move up the center, but he was cautious of all my troops there.

This was a tricky spot. I declared BSB + Knights into far-away Dark Riders on the West. With Valour of Ages, re-rolls from the BSB aren't that important. I needed to roll 8+ to reach him. The other knights charged warlocks who fled, I redirected into the Hydra. The Anointed charged the Witchelves. This was set up so that if I beat the Hydra, I'd overrun into the Witchelves frontally. With the Anointed, this would be brutal. The Anointed failed to roll his 7+. The BSB + Knights failed to roll the 8+. The Hydra was thus engaged by the last Helms, who did next to nothing as I rubber lanced. It held. I waked the Anointed to a somewhat better spot. He counter-charged with Witchbrew + Death Hag unit. At least I had established complete control of the East, but the Frostheart was so far away and time was running out for my center.

Everything dispersed from the center. The Anointed set up behind him, waking as he went along. Frostheart joined in. In return, his Black Guard started walking towards me with Warlocks (!) zoning the BSB.

BSB with Knights and Frostheart combo-charged the Witchelves. Elsewhere I did the best I could to evade his dangerous units. Anointed blocked out the Black Guard, with wake + shooting they were severely reduced and posed no real threat. His BSB fled from a panic test, much to my relief.

Frostheart locked down his BSB. Eventually the cavalry + Anointed made it in, as well. His Manticore-lord then rear-charged the Knights and killed them all, this was the last thing that happened in the game.

He had lost basically everything apart from the lord if I remember correctly but I had suffered some terrible losses in return. Counting up the points it was a 17-3 victory to the High Elves!

Evaluation

I managed to pull through with my plan, more or less, but I felt the Knights in the center got a bit crowded and counter-zoned too early. This was largely due to the big impossible piece but superior deployment would've saved me this pain. I should've swapped one of the busses for the Frostheart because the Frostheart zones the manticore extremely well. Having it run down the Reaper was a mistake as I was unable to make its presence felt in the center for too long.

The cavalry charging so early was perhaps a bit of an unnecessary gamble on my part. I probably could have waited out his moves for one more turn before committing. Losing the Helms to the Hydra was a big blow, but the opportunity for the Anointed to land corner-to-corner with the Witchelves on a 17" charge was too good to miss. I am very likely to break him in two rounds of combat without suffering too badly in return.

In the end magic + shooting were the big winners here, slowly whittling him down. Throughout the tournament my Sisters were absolute beasts and I have a new-found respect for their innate BS5 in combination with Hand of Glory. They are not RBTs, but combined with RBTs (you can only take 4, after all) they create a fearsome firebase.

Post-tournament analysis coming up

Opponent's Final Placing: 23/32
My Final Placing: 6/32
My Points: 60/100

Browncastle

Re: Path To Glory - All Challenge Games Up!

#1264 Post by Browncastle »

Well seems like my bet wasnt off, but the mission surely didnt help you out either. His list was somewhat diffrent to the net list Ive seen, although Ive been plondering about using drads as my waystalker bunker, as every hit put on a t4 6++ model is keeping you firebase intact. I definatly try out that list. Ive also fallen in love with higmagic counters for my WE army, it opens up for the use of unicorns and greatstags, or boost your sisters bus to near untouchables(if you can keep them out of early combats)

Your last game, is another win in the bag, and Im really impressed how you keep on breaking down DE armies. Most players seems to rate HE vs DE as highly favouring DE. Whats your Win/Draw/Loss vs DE with the new book?
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41281[/url]
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1265 Post by Curu Olannon »

The Dryads were mainly included due to comp reasons. In this particular game they proved to be a big deal however.

High Magic is almost mandatory for WE I feel. Hand of Glory is such an insane spell for them and the counters are just so good to have: Doubly so on Wild Riders.

As for the DE win, I learned a great deal about fighting DE (Elves in general, really) at SM this year: You have to have the ranged advantage. For that reason I took a lot of shooting to Challenge and I believe this to be the best answer to Elves. Vs Wood Elves it becomes incredibly hard but even in game 4 I would have been able to out-shoot him if I had played correctly: With the Frostheart dealing with the Treeman and the house cleared out I would be in a lucrative position, although I'd still lose 13-14 because of his bonus vp + scenario.

Make no mistake however, HE vs DE is a difficult matchup. Building our armies right however gives us a fighting chance. The Star Dragon is very powerful against them, as is the Flamespyre Phoenix and shooty heavy lists. Traditional "blocky" High Elf lists struggle however (as my NM preparations + games show) as they can isolate and concentrate at one threat at a time. True, I didn't lose to DE in my NM games or preparations, but that was solely because of Teclis and even then, a good amount of luck.

John Rainbow

#1266 Post by John Rainbow »

Nice result. 4 wins from 5 in a tough field is a great result. I'm also fairly jealous that you seem to able to hold down real life and get a fair few games and reports in! The same for me is proving more or less impossible although I think I might have a local event coming up in January...
Curu Olannon wrote:Make no mistake however, HE vs DE is a difficult matchup. Building our armies right however gives us a fighting chance. The Star Dragon is very powerful against them, as is the Flamespyre Phoenix and shooty heavy lists. Traditional "blocky" High Elf lists struggle however (as my NM preparations + games show) as they can isolate and concentrate at one threat at a time. True, I didn't lose to DE in my NM games or preparations, but that was solely because of Teclis and even then, a good amount of luck.
Nice to see its not just me who got ROFL stomped trying to run bigger infantry blocks against DE. I agree that either shooting or mobility is the key here. The Star Dragon in particular will be back on the front lines for me with the new 50% lords I think.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1267 Post by Curu Olannon »

@John Rainbow - Thanks :) To be fair, this field was not as tough as NM (which was basically insane) so there are definitely areas where I can improve heavily. I will touch on this in the post-tournament evaluation which I'm hoping to put up this weekend. As for managing RL with playing games, it's all about routine. After all, 2 games per week is no more than soccer practice would be. An active club where I can leave the miniatures certainly helps.

Galharen
Master of Brushes

#1268 Post by Galharen »

Curu could you show again a close up pic of your fire phoenix?:))
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1269 Post by Curu Olannon »

Oh right! I forgot to post of pictures of the hasty conversion :) It turned out quite alright! Unfortunately I'm not home right now, but I'll get some pictures up tomorrow evening. Hold your horses though Galharen, although I'm happy with the result he's miles away from your standards ;)

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Path To Glory - NM Game 1/5 up!

#1270 Post by Curu Olannon »

Time to review my performance at Challenge. Read on to see my thoughts on arbitrary subjects related to my latest tournament.

.::. 2d6 Challenge - Post-Tournament Analysis .::.

Where to start, where to start. Challenge was an interesting tournament because it employed a comp system that we are not used to at all. This showed very well as nobody could predict the meta and therefore it was really hard to make a list with the right focus. With that said, I did find a list I believe to be a huge loophole in my preliminary testing as shown in the DoC report found here, I just found it so boring to play I couldn't bring myself to fielding it. During and after the tournament I still believe in its potential. I also think the Star Dragon could've been wonderful here since WMs are so few and far between (indeed the winning list had a GUO and Soul Grinder) but I have played that model so many times this year.

The list I ended up taking was largely an experiment to see how various elements play. I wish I could've taken more shooting to play even more msu-shooty-avoidance ish, sort of like WE and DE play, with the SHelms and Anointed as counter-charge elements. Alas the GF comp is very hard on our shooting, so getting Archers in core and more RBTs in rare simply wasn't possible (which again shows why I had so much faith in the other lists). The list performed well enough, I could definitely have done with some more testing, and really surprised me in a few areas. The WoC game was crazy, he basically had an army with 4 fast-moving elements that could push (lord, chimera, double crushers) and still made the evaluation to stay still and tank my shooting + magic for 6 turns. In hindsight I agree with his assessment. This largely boils down to the synergy between Sisters and High Magic I believe, which is worth keeping in mind when assessing Sisters: Previously I have largely thought of these as a replacement for RBTs but taken in significant numbers Hand of Glory becomes insanely powerful and most opponents can't prioritize dispelling it because of Walk/Arcane waiting behind. I also found the Anointed to have a lot of weak areas, most notably his inability to go into various situations in fear of dying to combat resolution (Witch Elves targeting the Phoenix, for example). This is not too hard to play around, but it dictates how you have to play him. My troublesome situation game 1 came from the fact that I simply didn't read my opponent's army list well enough, however, which brings me to my next point:

There are two areas where I need to improve. Heavily. The first is easy, the second is not. The first area I need to work with is checking the little things, like charge distances and angles for every thinkable unit and situation, possible and obscure upgrades such as champions in min-sized shooters etc. I've often found myself in situations that become really tricky because I simply don't take the time to assess options outside of what I immediately consider to be optimal. Since I play really fast, taking a few more minutes to check these things is not a big deal and I will definitely raise my game by doing so.

The second is hard. Really hard. It starts with matchup assessment and macro game insight. Basically, I tend to approach many of my long-term plans with a very narrow focus of what my opponents will do and sometimes an overly optimistic guesstimation of how things pan out. This leads to me seeking big wins in situations where it's impossible and thus, my strategic choices from the get-go are based on flawed assumptions. This is somewhat abstract, a specific example is losing the Frostheart T1 vs Wood Elves. My understanding of this matchup is that it's a neutral one. Possibly slightly in my favour since WE struggle to deal with 2 flyers and I shoot relatively hard back at him if he wants a ranged one. However I approached the game trying to go for a big win. A lot of things is required for this to work out. What I should have realized is that I cannot compete with him for the scenario here: He has too many units and can simply dodge the ranged war so that if I move for the objective I'm inherently at a disadvantage. This means, translated into plain English, that I cannot fight him on this map without taking a huge risk. I can try and win the VP-for-units war by crushing a flank and giving up the objective, which leads to a loss somewhere between 1000vp and 500vp, guesstimated. If I do this, the Frostheart has no ambitions to zone the middle: The Frostheart's duty in that case is to kill the Treeman and given the deployment, I have an excellent chance at accomplishing this.

The TL;DR is spending more time assessing the nature of the matchup and the strategic moves required to play as best as I can, provided my opponent makes a correct assessment of the nature of the matchup and plays optimally himself. Mistakes will still occur and I can capitalize on these to boost a minor victory to a big victory. Strategically however my choices should be based on optimal play from both sides instead of grasping at straws that frequently won't work out. Yes, knowing when to increase your risk tolerance is an important part of anyone's game, but my 0-20 Wood Elf game was a wake up call to make me sit down and try and find out what went wrong and why it went wrong. Coincidentally, approaching the game in this manner is the perfect mindset for ETC play which will be my main focus until August 2015 ;)

Looking ahead I expect there to be at least a few non-ETC comped tournaments before the ETC-rush starts for real around March/April next year. First up is Sheffield Slaughter, where a proper Nordic Invasion sees us send roughly 20 Norwegians to (hopefully) conquer the English scene. I have a few ideas I want to try out, so watch this space for practice games, list development and analysis :D

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1271 Post by Curu Olannon »

Here are some pictures of the Anointed on Flamespyre Phoenix. This was a rushed project I had to complete before Challenge and I basically just made a custom 50x50 base on a 100x50 base, intending to simply glue the phoenix I've been using as an Eagle to the remaining 50x50 when done. I am quite happy with the end result :)

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Path To Glory - All Challenge Games + Evaluation Up!

#1272 Post by SpellArcher »

Love it Curu, very nice model!

The thing is, with this tournament you had an unusual comp (so unusual armies) to contend with, as well as special scenarios. So mis-assessing the WE game is understandable in a way.

Re the Norse invasion: Fulford Gate or Stamfordbridge I wonder?

:)
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1273 Post by Curu Olannon »

True, but 5 minutes deliberating the matter would've seen me reach the right conclusion ;)

Fulford Gate I would hope! We will do our best ;) It's been a long time since we had a successful English tournament I believe. The latest endeavour from our side was London Calling where our strongest placing was 6th ("our" does not include me as I have yet to play in England). Sheffield has a reputation for being crazy though so we'll see :)

Is anyone else from Ulthuan going there?

NexS

#1274 Post by NexS »

Awesome idea on the flamey/anointed! (that's your "Great Eagle" isn't it?)
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1275 Post by Curu Olannon »

It is my former Great Eagle, yes ;)

Unfortunately the optimistic modelling didn't do me any favours, the one time it did die to wounds running out I rolled a '1' as soon as I could :(

NexS

#1276 Post by NexS »

Oh man! That's the worst luck!

Hopefully he'll perform better next time!

[Will now read reps, be right back]
Regards,
Brad
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1277 Post by SpellArcher »

Alenui (Paul Brown) and Pash are playing, though they don't post much here these days. Seredain seems to be sticking to the M4 axis (South England/Cardiff) but some of his Angel club mates are going. Sheffield's not that far North really but far enough to be a bit of a trek from London, say.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1278 Post by Curu Olannon »

@NexS - Enjoy the read ;) Some unique games in there!

@SpellArcher - Sounds like you're a little spoiled ^^ The flight for us was insanely cheap, which makes it a lot more doable to take the trip. Possibly even cheaper than it would've been for you (£30 for both ways)?

sparkytrypod

#1279 Post by sparkytrypod »

Curu Olannon wrote:
Is anyone else from Ulthuan going there?

yup, myself and 4 others from republic of Ireland.

ya return flights were like 30 euro for us, its more expensive for me to actually get to Dublin from where I live, than to get the plane to England!

still have to book accommodation tho.

trying to finalise my list now, get any painting I need done, etc.
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
NexS

#1280 Post by NexS »

Woah! That game vs Empire was up and down!
re: all games - Why did you spend so much time flying and burning units with the flamespyre? Did you simply not get many opportunities to combo charge?

And.... my sincere condolences for that wood elf game... man, everything went wrong. We call that "Brad-luck" down here....

Cheers,
Brad
Regards,
Brad
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1281 Post by Curu Olannon »

@sparkytrypod - I will be looking forward to meeting you IRL ;) I ordered a room here: http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/174/ ... mond-hotel I believe most of us are staying here, I got the link from another guy at my club. When is the list deadline?

@NexS - The Empire game was crazy fun. So many ups and downs but I definitely had the better dice here ;) Flying and burning with the Flamespyre is often a superior choice to engaging. It keeps your opponent guessing and besides, sometimes you do insane amounts of damage with it and you maintain your flexibility. In the Empire game, I killed two-digit amounts of Halberdiers multiple times. It also makes Walk a very dangerous spell. The fact of the matter is that when soft targets are around, the Anointed is often better spent doing multiple jobs at the same time. In game 5 for example, I could wake + block units at the same time.

NexS

#1282 Post by NexS »

That's a fair point, but when you tool the anointed up with an ogre/giant blade, I feel like it's wasted points..
Unless, the kitout is part of the deception...

I'd be inclined to setup a charge that burns on the way through :D But you're right in that the fear of the unknown is often better than being in combat (as combat rolls often get fluffed)
Regards,
Brad
sparkytrypod

#1283 Post by sparkytrypod »

indeed and to have a few pints! cool, il check that spot out.

list deadline is 12th of January, so loads of time! just if I am getting some games in over the holidays I might as well use something close to what I will take to Sheffield.

I also imagine it will be super filth/hard lists!

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1284 Post by SpellArcher »

Slaughter is usually very strong and looking at the names, this year seems to be no exception.

I imagine the train fare from where I am would be a lot more than £30, maybe not so bad with some kind of really early deal. I'm pretty limited ATM by my family situation, so no way I can make something this far sadly.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1285 Post by Curu Olannon »

@NexS - The Giant Blade is simply to enable the Anointed to perform a hard-hitting task when I need him to. This was shown in game 3 vs Empire where I was able to kill his Grand Master. I was unable to use the Blade to its potential vs Warriors but this was due to a big mistake on my part, otherwise he'd be a huge threat to Crushers and Chariots. Also, you can't burn when charging as you have to move in the remaining moves phase for wake of fire to work.

@sparkytrypod - I have a pretty filthy list suggestion for Sheffield myself. Looking forward to the tournament! Can't wait for pints either ;)

@SpellArcher - Hopefully we'll be able to attend a tournament closer to where you guys live at some point during 2015 ;)

sparkytrypod

#1286 Post by sparkytrypod »

if you are willing to have a read of what im thinking of taking il pm it to you for critique :D ??

its not super hard, but should do ok!

edit : loremaster knows all end times spells if I read correctly??

edit 2: ah balls our loremaster is only a lvl 2, so he wont know end times spells, however a lvl 4 loremaster slaan will I take it, that's insane

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1287 Post by Curu Olannon »

Sure, send me a PM and I'll give my thoughts on the matter ;)

I don't think end times spells apart from lore of undeath will be in play at sheffield. At least that's my understanding of the rulespack.

sparkytrypod

#1288 Post by sparkytrypod »

end times characters are allowed though?

NexS

#1289 Post by NexS »

Curu Olannon wrote:@NexS - The Giant Blade is simply to enable the Anointed to perform a hard-hitting task when I need him to. This was shown in game 3 vs Empire where I was able to kill his Grand Master. I was unable to use the Blade to its potential vs Warriors but this was due to a big mistake on my part, otherwise he'd be a huge threat to Crushers and Chariots. Also, you can't burn when charging as you have to move in the remaining moves phase for wake of fire to work.
Really? I thought it just said in the movement phase.... Oh well. :/
Regards,
Brad
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1290 Post by Curu Olannon »

@sparkytrypod - Yeah, but to be honest I wouldn't worry too much about these lists. What can you do about it, really? ;) I have a list which I believe will hold up reasonably well to most lists and another which is just plain filth that I might end up bringing.

@NexS - Nope, unfortunately not :(