Path To Glory - ETC All Games Up!

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Andros123

Re: Path To Glory - BR vs Warriors of Chaos November 9th

#1231 Post by Andros123 »

Instead, I've gotten a few very different ideas however. How about this:

Quote:
Anointed of Asuryan: Giant Blade, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone, 300
Archmage: Level 4, High Magic, Dispel Scroll, Golden Crown of Atrazar 255 (1CP)
Korhil: 150
Noble: Battle Standard Bearer, Heavy Armour, Talisman of Preservation, Halberd, 146
Handmaiden of the Everqueen: Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength, 140

25 Archers: Champion, Musician 270
10 Silver Helms: FCG, Shields, 260
5 Ellyrian Reavers, 80

25 Swordmasters of Hoeth: FCG, Banner of the World Dragon, 405 (1CP)

4x 1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower: 4x 80
8 Sisters of Avelorn: 112

Army Total: 2398
Can you maybe elaborate a bit on your thoughts here?
As I mentioned earlier, I don't think it is worth paying that much for bolt throwers. Regarding Korhil, I realize it is a nice way of getting your swordmasters stubborn, but normally they should win most matchups especially if you put a sea helm in there.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1232 Post by Curu Olannon »

I had a game yesterday with the Swordmaster-based Deathstar I posted. TL;DR I think the list is interesting in principle, but boring to play. It felt very similar to my NM games and frankly, I've had enough of those for a while. A report will follow when I have the time.

@sandstorm - the 1CP for +1 is very tempting, however I don't think it fits in every list. Your proposed list looks interesting, but I don't have much faith in Swordmasters and your mages are very exposed. I think HE struggle under GF comp when it comes to making infantry builds because the units end up being too small (see my experiences from SM on the same topic).

@Andros123 - Bolt Throwers are insanely powerful in a meta where shooting is heavily comped. I don't expect many people to bring a whole lot of shooting, which means that the list is defensive enough to force virtually anyone to push against me. Korhil is an absolute necessity, in a unit worth that many points you *need* stubborn in some way/shape/form.

I spent a lot of time at the club yesterday (nearly 7 hours) and played a couple of games, discussed lists etc. One of my converted Eagles can easily be made into a Flamespyre with an "add-on" Anointed base. I have the time needed for this conversion and will finish it before the tournament. This allows me to experiment with some fun lists. Currently, this is what I think I'll be taking:
Anointed of Asuryan on Flamespyre Phoenix: Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Potion of Foolhardiness, 430 (1CP)
Noble on Ithilmar Barded Elven Steed: Battle Standard Bearer, Dragon Armour, Golden Crown of Atrazar, Star Lance, Shield, Dragonhelm, 172
High Mage: Level 2, Sceptre of Stability, Obsidian Amulet: 165
High Mage: Level 2, Dispel Scroll, Ring of Fury: 170 (1CP)

2x 10 Silver Helms: FCG, Shields, 2x 260
5 Ellyrian Reavers: 80

2x 9 Shadow Warriors: Shadow-walker 2x 136

15 Sisters of Avelorn: 210
Frostheart Phoenix: 240 (2CP)
2x 1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower: 2x 70 (1CP)

Army Total: 2399 - 5/5CP spent
The general idea is to have significant ranged presence and a few heavy hitters aided by flexible support units. The dual high mages coupled with the Ring allows me to throw out a lot of pain against MSU-based and Elven armies. the Frostheart + Flamespyre combined are strong enough to handle most things under this meta. The bolters and Sisters should (hopefully) be enough to compete with most enemies for ranged presence and the Shadow Warriors are primarily around for being mage bunkers. One mage is set up with MR2 to provide protection against the inevitable magic missiles that will fly around: With Shield of Saphery this is actually a decent solution for protecting their bunker.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Andros123

#1233 Post by Andros123 »

@Andros123 - Bolt Throwers are insanely powerful in a meta where shooting is heavily comped. I don't expect many people to bring a whole lot of shooting, which means that the list is defensive enough to force virtually anyone to push against me. Korhil is an absolute necessity, in a unit worth that many points you *need* stubborn in some way/shape/form.
I think you have to much faith in bolt throwers. They remove chaff, kill glade guards and the like very very good. However they simple can't reliably kill monsters with toughness 6, which is gonna be present. Hitting on 4's wounding on 4's :roll:
I run 4 bolt throwers a lot, but almost never shoot at targets with toughness 6. Instead I focus fire on what I know they can reliably remove. I think magic is a more effective way of dealing with t6 monsters.

As for your list, I really like it. Super cool with a shadow warrior bunker!
However I don't like the setup on your Anointed. Unlike with a dragon, it is essential that the rider stays alive. If he goes down first you don't have your 5+ on coming back but only a 6+ and it is gone on a 1 or 2. I think you should kit him out, so he can grab at least one cannon ball.
Not really sure about the giant blade either. When he is riding a flamespyre you don't want to get into combat with the real heavy stuff anyways. And with only 3 attacks it is a really expensive item on him.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1234 Post by Curu Olannon »

And I think you have far too little faith in bolt throwers :D 4 of them will, at long range, average 2 wounds on a T6 monster before ward saves. 4 wounds in 2 turns of shooting. Combine this with their flexibility vs knight busses (oh yes, they do make an impact eventually, believe me), warlocks and other annoying fast cav etc and you have a very powerful unit. I do have faith in the list, I just don't want to play it.

As for the new list, I don't expect cannons to be popular. Wood Elves and Dark Elves on the other hand are all over the place. Bear in mind here that I can see what armies have signed up. Thus far there is one Empire and one Dwarf player, neither of which I expect to bring particularly hard lists. On the other hand we have a handful each of Dark Elves, High Elves and Wood Elves just about, with a few WoC/DoC as well. What this means is that I need the re-rollable armour save to keep him near impossible to kill for anything not particularly suited for combat. S7 enables him to take on stuff like Chaos Chariots, Dark Elf Pegriders and threaten more important stuff. Yes, it's only 3A, but S7 is a mile beyond S6.

Andros123

#1235 Post by Andros123 »

And I think you have far too little faith in bolt throwers :D 4 of them will, at long range, average 2 wounds on a T6 monster before ward saves. 4 wounds in 2 turns of shooting. Combine this with their flexibility vs knight busses (oh yes, they do make an impact eventually, believe me), warlocks and other annoying fast cav etc and you have a very powerful unit. I do have faith in the list, I just don't want to play it.
Hehe :) . Again I do want to stress that they are very good for their points against low toughness, high amour units. However I don't think they can be seen as tools to handle high toughness targets (toughness 6+). As you correctly wrote, they will do 2 wounds on average at long range before any regen or ward saves. Is that really that good? Maybe if you are really lucky (and your opponent is careless) you get to shoot 4 bolt throwers at your target in the first turn without any modifiers. After that I can't imagine you would have another clear shoot with all the different terrain in mind.
My point is just if you bring 4 bolt throwers and think you got big monsters covered, I think you will be disappointed.

If you don't expect to see cannons, I agree with you, on the matter of the golden crown. I'm still not sold on the giant blade. Yes chariots okay I can see that. But do you really want to face dark elf Pegriders with hatred and rerolls 1's to wound :shock: .
I'm not that experienced with running the anointed on a flamespyre, but for what I can read in various battlereps, it seems to me that the model really shines in a supporting role. Taking advantage of its ability to drop fire on fragile elves for example. In your setup it is like you want to many things of it.
I think I would give him the ring of fury (4++ on the bird and a 3++ on the anointed is pretty cool) or the gem of sunfire along with your build just with a less powerful weapon.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1236 Post by Curu Olannon »

By keeping monsters in cover the RBTs can target other things. Anyway, it's irrelevant seeing as I'm not running the list. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

On the subject of the Anointed i think the Giant Blade is vital for him to actually pose a threat to a number of units. It's the difference between taking on and not taking on MC for example. Sure, Ogre Blade + Gem of Sunfire is an option, but it's marginal. S7 really is *that* good.

DE Peg riders will be limited in this meta, so being able to zone the 1 or 2 they have is vital. The Anointed with the Giant Blade does this very well. Pop the Potion and charge them and you are very likely to win combat, perhaps even kill them. If he has the Cloak, which I presume most DE's will take when they can only have 1-2 Pegs, this is doubly good considering the Cloak's KB does not work on the Anointed (the D3 wounds on the Phoenix is a risk I can live with considering I have 4 S7 attacks back + charge).

Andros123

#1237 Post by Andros123 »

By keeping monsters in cover the RBTs can target other things. Anyway, it's irrelevant seeing as I'm not running the list. We'll just have to agree to disagree.
Fair enough :wink:

Is it a open list tournament?
Because if not, people will fear that thing and it will provide you with a lot of initial board control.

Why does the cloak's killing blow not affect the anointed? And those D3 wounds sounds pretty scary on the anointed too.

I agree with you regarding 1+ AS MC. Having that giant blade actually makes you a threat, but I think you need a rear charge otherwise your bird is toast.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1238 Post by Curu Olannon »

Open lists, yes. The killing blow doesn't work because of GW FAQ making anything mounted immune to KB, unless it has troop type cavalry. D3 wounds with 3+ re-rollable armour save and 4++? That is a long shot.

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Path To Glory - BR vs WE 26.10!

#1239 Post by Curu Olannon »

Second game of GF, wacky play.

.::. Battle Report - 2400 High Elves vs Daemons of Chaos (Giant Fanatic comp) .::.

My list:
Anointed of Asuryan: Giant Blade, Enchanted Shield, Dawnstone, 300
Archmage: Level 4, High Magic, Dispel Scroll, Golden Crown of Atrazar 255 (1CP)
Korhil: 150
Noble: Battle Standard Bearer, Heavy Armour, Talisman of Preservation, Halberd, 146
Handmaiden of the Everqueen: Reaver Bow, Potion of Strength, 140

25 Archers: Champion, Musician 270
10 Silver Helms: FCG, Shields, 260
5 Ellyrian Reavers, 80

25 Swordmasters of Hoeth: FCG, Banner of the World Dragon, 405 (1CP)

4x 1 Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower: 4x 70
8 Sisters of Avelorn: 112

Army Total: 2398
His list:

GUO, L4 Nurgle
Nurgle BSB, Regen
Tzeentch Herald, Metal

25 Plaguebearers, FC, Swiftness
2x 10 Horrors

5 Beasts of Nurgle
5 Furies

4 Plague Drones, Banner
Soul Grinder
Pre-battle thoughts and deployment

For this game I wanted to try something different: Push hard vs DoC and see if I couldn´t keep the slower elements out of his threat arc by following up with them in the aggressive push. With only 2 units of Horrors his back field would not be worth a whole lot in itself, however the openings it would create by pushing hard would ensure board control. At least that was the idea.

Dealing with two T7 monsters is very hard under this comp. RBTs do next to nothing vs DoC so I might as well place them to zone these.

The following pictures show the deployment and early game:

Anointed with Sisters to provide 4++ vs missiles and no panic. Handmaiden likewise.

I grab first turn and move up. Walk goes through boosted and I place the Swordmasters to assault his Horrors. In hindsight this was a mistake as I should´ve zoned his Plaguebearers. The problem with such a move is that the Anointed wasn´t with them so I was really lacking grinding power vs the Soul Grinder. Anyway, he moved past me and I charged and killed horrors. His Soul Grinder was then a 9 or 10 charge away and since I had nothing to lose, I declared it (I had made a poor combat reform so I would be unable to wheel past the water => no march). I failed the charge however. He kept pushing, but Hand of Glory saw my Archers to safety with the Anointed dancing around like a complete idiot because he couldn´t catch up. shooting did next to nothing as my continued single bolts on the big beasts failed to penetrate the 5++. Eventually another boosted Walk saw the Swordmasters back in the game.

I´ll give you the TL;DR version since there were not a lot of decisions here: The Swordmasters were stuck forever, S5 vs T7 is no good. I kept passing 2++ vs the BOTWD like a boss so we stuck around. Eventually he got the GUO involved which constantly challenged, hoping to get Korhil and/or the BSB. I declined and lost Korhil´s ability to grind whereas the BSB was constantly being focused by his Soul Grinder, but passing 2++ kept me in the game. I did next to no wounds to the Daemons, even when the Plaguebearers came into the fight as well.

Meanwhile the Beasts ate an RBT in my back field and the Plague Drones tried to charge Archers + Anointed. He failed. Archers were sent with WBW to his rear field where I eventually killed enough horrors to get 50% of their VPs. In the middle I was forced to accept a challenge in the end with some Swordmasters going down (the Helms fled after an unsuccessful counter-charge), the L4 took it to ensure stubborn + re-rolls would be around. I failed a one, but the GUO´s D3 wounds didn´t come up a 5+ and to add insult to injury, the Swordmasters finally pinged the last wound off of the Soul Grinder, netting me a healthy amount of VPs.

This, combined with half Horrors, ensured a small 12-8 win to the High Elves

Evaluation

This list gave me flashbacks to NM. Although a powerful list, it´s not what I´m looking to play right now. I truly believe it´s got a lot of potential, it just seems a little boring.

Onto the game the aggressive move from the Swordmasters was a decent call. I should however have kept the Anointed here (or at least made it possible for him to join in T1) and blocked the Plaguebearers instead - the Furies were too far away to block me out. The Helms could´ve dealt with the Horrors and the Archers might´ve suffered Plague Drone death, but that would´ve cost him the Plaguebearers and possibly the Plague Drones as well (with all my shooting focusing them even those tough guys will take a couple of wounds).

pk-ng

#1240 Post by pk-ng »

Curu Olannon wrote: @Andros123 - Bolt Throwers are insanely powerful in a meta where shooting is heavily comped. I don't expect many people to bring a whole lot of shooting, which means that the list is defensive enough to force virtually anyone to push against me. Korhil is an absolute necessity, in a unit worth that many points you *need* stubborn in some way/shape/form.
2W T3 4+ AS...are you sure you'll get "stubborn" at the end of the 1st phase of combat? at most 2 if he fluffs his 1st round of attacks.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1241 Post by Curu Olannon »

Yes I am sure. Swordmasters go 3 wide, Korhil cannot be targeted

Nicene

Re: Path To Glory - BR vs Daemons of Chaos November 12th

#1242 Post by Nicene »

Doesn't the newest FAQ reverse that ruling?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1243 Post by Curu Olannon »

What ruling is that, Nicene?

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1244 Post by SpellArcher »

Was the attack based purely on the vulnerability of Daemons to World Dragon Curu?

Do you consider this list can go forwards vs other books at times?
Gray

#1245 Post by Gray »

Hey man,

Just want to say thanks for all the stuff you share, it makes great reading.

Gray
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1246 Post by Curu Olannon »

@SpellArcher - BOTWD solely. You can't do this and you're not better off with doing this against anything that doesn't shoot better than you. The problem with DoC is that if I don't push, he'll isolate and kill the rest. By pushing up hard I am effectively providing some space for my archers and sisters to hopefully make it through longer. Think of it like controlling the center in chess ;) Going forward is rarely an option otherwise I think, but with only 1 game with this list it's a little too early to be too bombastic.

@Gray - Thanks man :)

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1247 Post by Curu Olannon »

TL;DR from the weekend: I went 17, 12, 14, 0, 17 for 60 out of 100 points in total. More detailed reports will follow :) I faced 2 Dark Elves, Warriors, Wood Elves and Empire. While I work on the reports, why don't you guess what army made me hit my first 0 loss in a tournament and what position 60 points would suffice for (32 participants)?

Dragon fire

#1248 Post by Dragon fire »

Dark elves? With a witch elves list? Possibly with hellbron
Browncastle

#1249 Post by Browncastle »

dragonfire: witch elves are slow and expensive, and Curu allways brings redirectors and fast armies, and highly used to bring down darkelf lists. The. best outcome for a heavy witch elf list would probly be 10 - 10.

I quess woodelves, since Ive 20 - 0 your invasion list(played by another geezer ofcourse) and most other lists Ive played at our club, You can easilly make a strong list, even under GF comp, and the fact its the best elf counter out there right now. Wish probly has a lot to do with it being the last of the 3 books:P Looking forward to the Batreps.

Do you have any knowledge of when alliance 2015 will be held, and how many players there will be pr team? Me and Karl is putting a team together btw.
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41281[/url]
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1250 Post by Curu Olannon »

@Dragon fire - Dark Elves can be tough, but without combat infantry I don't really fear Witchelves.

@Browncastle - The Invasion list is fairly weak vs Wood Elves. The Star Dragon simply isn't tough enough to run them down in an uncomped environment. The Flamespyre is better in this regard, though ;)

Alliance 2015 will likely be held in June, 3-man teams with ETC comp :) The final debate on this subject will be held around December 12th, but so far basically everyone has supported this idea so we assume that this will be the outcome.

Orchaldor

#1251 Post by Orchaldor »

Hi Curu,

If the sequence of results you gave us reflects the order played, then the zero came in game four, which was the 750vp forest if I recall - I'm assuming that said forest (and all those vp's!) played a crucial role in the outcome.

Wood Elves could be nasty with the forest, but as Browncastle has already guessed them, I'll go for Empire doing this to you - war machines could devastate your monsters, and if they went last, they could easily magic the forest so it moved away from you. Also, if both armies are funnelled into the middle there is the possibility of Dwellers (not sure how easy it is to cast under this comp, but IF means it is always a potential threat).

I look forward to the batreps (and finding out how totally wrong I am! #-o )
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1252 Post by Curu Olannon »

@Orchaldor - Very astute observation ;) Indeed it was game 4 I lost 0-20. Prior to this game I was in third place with a very tight field in the top. The scenario did indeed make a difference, both implicitly and explicitly.

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Path To Glory - Invasion 2014 Game 2/5 up!

#1253 Post by Curu Olannon »

Challenge allowed for grudge matches. At BSK, the team tournament I attended earlier this month, another Norwegian team needed to take a few points off of the Swedish team we met game 1 for us to make the top 3. They failed to do so and we ended up in 4th place. Because of this I basically grudged their entire team. Their captain picked up the challenge (for those of you who read this blog regularly: He's the TK player I've kept playing - mostly losing to - this autumn). Game on!

.::. Battle Report - 2d6 Challenge #1 vs Dark Elves (GF) .::.
Points Before the Game: 0/0

Lists:
Anointed of Asuryan on Flamespyre Phoenix: Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Enchanted Shield, Potion of Foolhardiness, 430 (1CP)
Noble on Ithilmar Barded Elven Steed: Battle Standard Bearer, Dragon Armour, Golden Crown of Atrazar, Star Lance, Shield, Dragonhelm, 172

Malekith on Cold one, General = 535

Master on Cold one, BSB, GW, HA, SDC, Talisman of preservation, Ironcurse Icon = 171

10 Darkshards, FC, Flaming banner = 160
10 Witch Elves, Musician = 120
10 Witch Elves, Musician = 120
5 Dark Riders, Shields, RXB = 100
5 Dark Riders, Shields, RXB = 100

RBT = 70
RBT = 70 (1CP)
9 Shades = 144
15 Cold One Knights, FC, Razor Standard = 525 (2CP)

6 Warlocks: Champion = 160 (1CP)
5 Warlocks = 125 (1CP)

5CP
Pre-battle thoughts and deployment:

Basically I have to play for the points by way of killing off everything but the deathstar in this matchup. The only way I can engage the bus and win is if my BSB + Frostheart + Flamespyre get a combo-charge off. This is impossible if he plays well, the only chance I have of doing this is to wipe out the rest first, to obtain superior board control.

To this end my deployment saw my army deploy in a corner where I could easily re-deploy, sacrificing minimal points to pin him down.

With +1 I won the roll-off and off we went! I immediately decided that one unit of Helms would likely die so I didn't even try and save them, instead I went up to try and zone the Shades and Warlocks. Reavers stayed put in case I needed to delay. The Sisters backed off and the rest of my army moved towards his weak flank, intent on gaining control there ASAP.

My sacrifical Helms got very lucky as he decided to charge them with Warlocks. I won combat big and they fled, I caught them but unfortunately I ran just a bit too far to see the Shades. Regardless, I was home free and the Helms were now a huge pain for him. On his weak flank my magic + shooting was making the presence felt as he was being decimated.

Malekith had left his bunker and in the brainfart of the moment, I forgot that Sisters had magical attacks and could likely have dealt a LOT of damage to him. Instead the Frostheart moved to block him from engaging me while the Helms crashed into his Witchelves. My Anointed was charged by Darkshards in return as he intended to challenge me out and lock me down. Black Horror went off (mistake on my part not to scroll) and killed the Anointed, leaving nothing to challenge. Regardless, I fluked my attacks + thunderstomp and he stood. The Flamespyre was suddenly worth a LOT of points.

The Frostheart kept holding Malekith away from the action. For this, it ate a charge from him + the bus. Malekith then cascaded (!) and the Frostheart died as it fled from combat res. The Flamespyre was safe however and his army had completely collapsed.

My BSB + remaining Helm ended up dying, but so did his bus as I pounded him with shooting + magic. His BSB barely survived along with his Reaper in the corner. Although I had taken some big losses myself, Malekith cascading helped me focus on his bus which brought him a lot of points. The end result was a 17-3 win to the High Elves!

Evaluation

Deployment worked very well according to my plan. He had so many more drops than me that I had to commit the Sisters early. I felt that holding them behind the water made the most sense as this would make it very risky for him to approach them, essentially he'd risk getting stuck all game. This meant my mages had to go there as well, but the Shadow Warriors enabled them to get in range of the Soul Quenches fairly early on, no problem.

The Phoenixes were a huge pain for him. I did however make a big mistake as I allowed him to lock the Anointed down. I had no idea he had a champ with the Darkshards (sheer stupidity on my part for not checking this) and as we were in a wood, he would not be steadfast so I was expecting to basically just be safe there. As he locked me down, saving the Phoenix and thus the 530 VP became a huge priority that I was luckily able to pull off (dimensional cascade definitely helped out).

Opponent`s Final Placing: 25/32
My Points: 17/20

Browncastle

Re: Path To Glory - Challenge Game 1 Up

#1254 Post by Browncastle »

Nicely played, looking forward to the rest.
Galdor

#1255 Post by Galdor »

Well done! I like the list btw and it's great to see the Shadow Warriors in action!
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1256 Post by Curu Olannon »

@Browncastle - Thanks, but to be fair the Anointed mistake nearly cost me the game. Well, cost might be an exaggeration as I would still have posed a big threat to Malekith with all my magic + Sisters and I was still up several BP prior to this event, but you get my point ;)

@Galdor - Shadow Warriors were surprisingly good for what I wanted them to be: Mobile mage bunkers with a bit of punch vs Elves. In several of my games they were crucial to my strategy.

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1257 Post by Curu Olannon »

The second game of the tournament saw me meet a relatively standard Warriors list (as far as "standard" goes under these restrictions, in my opinion Warriors are severely over-comped under GF rules) with a little bit of everything. The mission was assassinate, where we would nominate a character on the opposite side and that character would be worth twice VPs if killed. If alive however, his VP (not doubled) would be awarded to the opponent. Game on!

.::. Battle Report - 2d6 Challenge #2 vs Warriors of Chaos (GF) .::.
Points Before the Game: 17/20

Lists:

Hellfire Sword Tzeentch Lord on Disc with 1+/4++
Chaos Familiar Tzeentch Sorceror
1+/4++ GW Tzeentch BSB on Daemonic Mount

Warriors with Blasted Standard
2 units of Horsemen
2 Chariots

Chimerae, upgrades
2x3 Skullcrushers
Giant, points reduction

+1 for first turn

Basically this army isn't strong enough to push against me if I deploy correctly. Given his large amount of drops however he can easily out-deploy me so I need to be cautious. To this end I dropped a decoy or two first and I was perhaps a bit overly cautious, so a large amount of my forces ended up far away from his, too far to make an impact early on. He anchored his lines with the Skullcrushers so I'd have to start targeting these ASAP. Hopefully the Anointed, well positioned, would be able to wreak some havoc on his own vs the weaker elements. I chose to Assassinate his L2 wizard as I wasn't sure I'd be able to get anything: The Lord was too obvious and too easy for him to hide and the BSB a lot tankier than the L2.

The Frostheart is severely out of position. Anointed moves up to a safe spot from where I can basically target almost his entire army. In his T1 he starts blasting the MR2 Anointed with missiles so I have a feeling he has chosen to assassinate him.

The Chimera plays hide and seek with Silver Helms and his Crushers keep backing up. He keeps pressuring my Anointed.

I make by biggest mistake of the tournament as I send the Anointed away - but to a bad spot. His Lord is 17" away (I basically just forgot the entire model, it was just a single screamer and I made a huge blunder). I wanted to have him in a spot where I could block the Crushers in and combo-charge with both Phoenixes and the Knights + BSB. So the Lord went in, killed the Chosen of Asuryan easily and I knew I had to make a big move to have any chance at the game.

I set up the Frostheart for a daring solo mission. Unfortunately, his first Crusher unit to get depleted survives on 2W and the lone model runs away.

I'm down to having to make risky plays and hope for averages, which will (if I'm lucky) turn out to work in my favour: The Frostheart engages the bunker alone, Sisters + Shadow Warriors + RBTs kill the other Crushers and Knights + BSB set up to help the Phoenix. It holds for the first couple of combats. Time for the big play.

The Knights charge his bunker to aid the Frostheart. I fluke a lot with my BSB but Crown of Atrazar keeps me alive vs his return attacks. The impetus of the charge and the Frostheart running wild with a '6' for thunderstomp sees him testing on snake eyes. He fails and I run down the last of the unit. As the picture above shows this is a poor spot to be in, but not all is lost: In his last turn he charges the Frostheart with 2 Chariots. I hold. He then charges my Knights and I flee, making it to safety without panicking anything else. The Frostheart deals 2W to the Chariots which means it's a tie as he deals no wounds in return and with that, the game is over.

Count up points he's basically just killed my Anointed and has half points for fleeing Helms/BSB. I have his bunker, horsemen and one Crusher. He had indeed chosen my Anointed so his bonus points brings it back from 13-7 to a 12-8 win to the High Elves (I also got a lot of bonus points for the mage), a respectable win given how badly I played the Anointed to be fair.

Evaluation

My opponent said right after the game that with a diagonal deployment here, he basically can't push. Double-flees and counter-charges + isolation lets me deal with him easily. I agree, and without the Anointed fail I might've been able to get a bigger win, but then again I would likely not have gone for the big bunker gambit at the end (which could easily have been disastrous). In any case, I think holding tight and hoping for a small loss is a good strategy for WoC here. If I deploy poorly however he can overwhelm me with the multiple threats.

Depleting the Crushers took a while but once Sisters got in range I could start Hand of Glorying them (which, if dispelled, would allow me to cast walk + arcane with impunity) they really felt the pain. Shadow Warriors and cheap casts of Soul Quench from the Ring of Fury also helped out here. With the Sisters a bit more offensively deployed, I would get in range earlier which would've made things easier: The Crushers survived long enough to zone my Frostheart + cavalry from getting to that juicy spot from which I could eventually threaten his bunker.

Opponent's Final Placing: 12/32
My Points: 29/40

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1258 Post by Curu Olannon »

Game 3 and a scenario awaited me which I had feared from the beginning: Miscast Madness! Basically we'd roll a dice and on 1-3 we'd play every miscast is automatically Dimensional Cascade, 4-6 something else. We rolled the 1-3... I was facing Empire with lots of 1+ and infantry, along with the trademarked Steam Tank. I had a clear plan of what to do, so game on!

.::. Battle Report - 2d6 Challenge #3 vs Empire (GF) .::.
Points Before the Game: 29/40

Lists:

Grandmaster: Runefang, Charmed Shield, Dragonbane Gem, Pot of Speed - 255
Wizard Lord (lvl 4), Light, Sceptre of Stability - 215

BSB: Warhorse, Barding, Full Plate, GW, Dragonhelm, Dawnstone, OTS - 163
Warrior Priest: GW, Armor of Met Iron - 120
Wizard, Light, Dispel scroll - 90 (1 cp)
Wizard, Light - 65 (1 cp)

50xHalberds: FC - 270
20xHalberds (det) - 120
5xArchers (det) - 35
5xKnights, Mus - 120
10xArchers - 70

4xDemi Griff, Mus, Banner - 310 (1 cp)
10xReiksguard, FC, Std of Disc - 315

Stank - 250 (2 cp)
Points are a bit off on his list

This was the same player I faced playing Empire during Invasion and one of my favourite opponents. He is a real sport and I was sure this game would be no different.

I basically resigned myself to the fact that I couldn't touch the STank nor 1+ spam save for opportunities that presented themselves, instead I'd have to go for the softer infantry which, ranked up, would make splendid targets for my Flamespyre + Frostheart + cavalry. The idea then was to lure him into a corner with the strong elements, too far away to protect his soft and easy points. I also got a house on my side of the table where I bunkered the Sisters. I was hoping the Shadow Warriors would allow my mages to run in a wide circle, trailing my cavalry on the flank.

I got first turn and started running in a big circle around to his weak flank. I placed the mages in the house with the Sisters because I figured he'd be unlikely to commit to a boosted Banishment to weaken them. Regardless, this was a mistake and besides I was proven wrong: My opponent received the first Cascade of the game as he landed just that and killed a LOT of Sisters. He survived, to my dismay. What was perhaps even worse was the the Steam Tank thought this was Need for Speed and rolled up a mighty 17", landing just in front of the house. This was disastrous for me as it created a huge threat arc and it would be nigh on impossible for me to move the mages around to his weaker elements. Way to punish my mistake for placing them in the house! A new plan emerged, but it was a risky one: I'd have to bait the big Demis to commit, becoming stuck in the corner while trickling down the STank and wiping his infantry with the Knights + birds...

Phoenixes go wide, burn hurts his main unit a lot. I exit the house. RBTs and Shadow Warriors target Steam Tank. In his turn, Demis charge Silver Helms and I flee. I was expecting to go off the table, but I am super lucky as I roll a '4' and barely stay on!! The STank tried charging my BSB but failed (he needed 13 or 14 I believe).

The Helms rally in my corner. The Demis try another charge, I hold, he fails. I am thus able to move past him. Mages make it into Shadow Warrior bunker. Flamespyre burns more Halberdiers and head for his main bunker. Frostheart engages the small unit. Knights are flank-charged by his "big" unit, now down to 12. Due to a lake, they receive no rank bonus and I hold. Shadow Warriors #2 then flank charge him and I break him, running him down. I am now in an absurd position where my Knights are threatened by his knights, the STank threatens my mage bunker, the other mage joined the Silver Helms which can be charged by IC Knights and the Demis are useless. What a wacky game!!

Grand Master solo charges my bus. I flee. Demis eat an RBT. STank eats Reavers (yes, he took the bait!!). The most shocking turn of events however is his IC Knights charging my Silver Helms, targeting the mage with maximum attacks (2 riders + 2 horses) and doing a total of... 0 wounds!! I have more static than him and he breaks. This leaves my Helms in a position where I can flank charge his Grand Master. Flamespyre keeps burning him and he now has next to no-where to hide.

I flank the Grand Master (in my opponent's words: "That was a flank charge I did not see coming before I broke from combat last turn"), rally Helms, ping the Stank a little more and burn the mages, but they are still alive. His small bunker rallied on snake eyes so the Frostheart has more work to do.

BSB is targeted by Banishment, the second cascade happens and this time the L4 dies. I survive as the unit tanks the worst of the hits. STank is severely wounded after repeated casts of Unforging + single bolts and fails to do anything. Grand Master kills a mage in a challenge.

BSB charges STank, Star Lance hoping to take off that one, final wound in my T6. Sisters move out of the house (I moved in again to protect them from demis) to render his Demis stranded. Anointed rear-charges the Grand Master with Potion of Fools and kill him. Frostheart tanks the Knight train.

In the last turn of the game my Frostheart breaks from combat but he fails to catch me. After a nerve-wrecking and intense game with lots of close calls and a stank looming over me 24x7, I can happily conclude that I'm healthily ahead: a 14-6 win to the High Elves!

Evaluation

The mages going into the house T1 cost me dearly. With 2 soul quenches, walk and unforging I really needed to have him in my front arc. With his STank moving up like that as well I was left stranded too far behind. While multiple casts of Arcane indeed did take down the STank eventually, the mages would've been a lot more dangerous if I'd been able to cast cheap spells like Soul Quench and Walk near his infantry.

I found myself in a dire position and had to risk a lot. It payed off, but I was so lucky with many things: The Silver Helms in the bottom right corner fleeing only 4", rallying and then being able to move past him after a failed charge in order to break and catch the IC Knights and finally lock down his Grand Master was just insane. Viewed as a whole, this unit's tail is the stuff of legends in this game.

After 3 good games on day 1, I was in 3rd position before day 2 with roughly 5 points up to the leader (no-one had taken a huge lead). It was really open and I was preparing myself for the capture the woods scenario as best as I could...

Opponent's Final Placing: 7/32
My Points: 43/60

Browncastle

Re: Path To Glory - Challenge Game 3 Up

#1259 Post by Browncastle »

What a game, just shows what potential there is in the flamespyre, wish where really underestimated when the book came out. Its really cool to see how the shadow warriors perform, I belive you have found their role with this list and playstyle. Maybe a little lucky with avoiding the steamtank, and "uncharacerized" helms keep on doing legendary stuff. Great read
pk-ng

Re: Path To Glory - Challenge Game 3 Up

#1260 Post by pk-ng »

New ETC draft is up.

Discuss. Lets discuss how to break it!
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board