Path To Glory - ETC All Games Up!

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Path To Glory - BR vs Skaven May 4th

#481 Post by Curu Olannon »

sparkytrypod wrote:hi curu,

any list changes to be made in reaction to wood elves or do you think its an issue for your list?
This list is largely an experiment for me, which I`ve tried for a number of reasons. Long story short, I will take it to a big tournament in a few days after which I`ll be trying out a completely different approach. As for Wood Elves, they are a very hard matchup for any non-SD HE list I think. Mine is no exception, but Loremaster offers some utility against them as both Shem`s, Fireball and Spirit Leech are very strong, with Searing Doom being a good backup against certain units. Miasma and Iceshard also help, along with Earthblood of course. It boils down to keeping Waywatchers under control I think.

Luckily, the old WE book will be used for the tournament ;)
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
sparkytrypod

#482 Post by sparkytrypod »

ha lucky you!

ya, I was reading tethlis's reports, especially against WOC and it was scary what was done to the blood crushers and knights.
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
John Rainbow

#483 Post by John Rainbow »

Interesting report against the Skaven, more so for me as this was a Skaven list that didn't really feature too many of the ranged toys we usually see (probably due to ETC comp?). Either way, because of this and given that he was coming to you to get into CC, did you feel like you had to escalate the situation? In your T1 you moved very aggressively and this got your WLs in trouble. I am fairly sure the bus would still kill the Doom Wheel on its own and you could hold back for a better position with the other units. By charging in with both PG and bus this early you had to move up to cover those units.

Instead of this, you could maybe just send in the bus which as I said, should beat the Wheel. At this point you either kill the wheel outright and reform or win the CC and stay stuck, but in a position to either draw units into CC on the corners (characters are here so no real threat of wounds, only static CR) or you block up the board which is also useful. If you actually win and kill the wheel, you then reform to face his Bell & unit. Judging by the picture you can then force him out of position by making him choose to charge you with something - you would then flee or hold based on which unit this was - and will have either drawn out the bell unit or the skaven flanking it as he can't redirect into anything else (all other charges look long). And he has to charge he as you are in a very threatening position.

Obviously you won in the end but it seems like you were lucky not to lose the WL unit and your chars in there after moving them up. My whole reasoning here comes from the fact that in general HE>Skaven in combat across the board. He is coming to you and therefore has to do the hardwork in creating the matchups he wants to get in order to actually win. You made this easier for him by moving up quickly and whilst you eventually prevailed (as HE>Skaven in CC) it was touch and go at points.
anorexia

#484 Post by anorexia »

Hi,
i read all battle reports You post, they are awesome, but older one are missing pics, only im having that issue?
it would be great if You change the uploader.

regards and good work!!
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#485 Post by Curu Olannon »

@sparkytrypod - Trust me, there are plenty of other, nasty lasts out there.

@John Rainbow - spot on! However the problem was not the aggressive move, the problem was not thinking properly during deployment. All I needed was a unit of Reavers to block him out. I had to move the infantry up as I believe the cavalry were in his Bell`s charge arc. You are correct that I was lucky to have the Lions hold out for just long enough, this game could've easily been a disaster. The 16-4 results will deceive readers who don't pay attention to details, it could easily have been 4-16 based on the WL combat. I don't think the problem is not waiting though, with 3 weapon teams, 2 doomwheels, gutter runners and a WLC he has ranged superiority. I have to force the issue but must remember to use the Reavers properly to create favourable fights, possibly early on, which dictates a more central deployment of these fast cav dudes. I often play them wrong early on, thinking of them too much as Eagles. Fly makes a huge difference in this role. Also lastly I`d like to point out that point-for-point, death frenzied Stormvermin will chew through any HE unit, even PG. The double-charge was what secured me the victory and I think you always have to get such a combo off to win a fight like that.

@anorexia - Thanks :) Everyone is having that issue, because I've spent my photobucket bandwidth. I've decided to change to minus.com instead of photobucket but I won't move the old pictures since there are too many of them. It should be ok tomorrow, it resets on the 8th :)

anorexia

#486 Post by anorexia »

I would not ask You to do that xD its a lot of pics,
i tought that it is repairable issue.
anyway, keep writing, and i will keep reading.

regards
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#487 Post by Curu Olannon »

If it were permanent I`d have to look at the painstaking task of moving everything. However as I said, I believe things will go back to normal sometime tomorrow :) From now on images will be hosted from minus.com. That site has unlimited bandwidth so future uploads should be free from hassle :)

Orchaldor

#488 Post by Orchaldor »

Hi Curu,

Nice report! I've been looking forward to seeing you fight Skaven - one of my friends plays them, and plays them well (luckily he's a nice guy and refuses to play with some of the truly nasty rat lists out there :) ).

I notice that there wasn't a great deal mentioned about the Warp Lightning Cannon or weapons teams - was it just that you had your main units in combat most of the time that stopped these doing too much damage? I personally find the the WLC a pain - it is potentially devastating (although highly dependent on the dice) but is it better to dedicate something to take it on or to avoid it by using terrain/close combat to starve it of viable targets? I have tended to try to avoid it recently, but have found the mere threat of it was dictating my movements, so perhaps next time I'll try going for it - Reavers should do the job, but I do fear that I'll regret not having them elsewhere :?

Anyway, great to see Elven boots stamping out those filthy rats! :mrgreen:
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#489 Post by Curu Olannon »

The WLC... Yes it is indeed a pain, no doubt. This game however luck was on my side. In general it didn`t do a whole lot. He had a misfire, a misfire for bounce, a fail to wound roll or two. It did panic the small Helms at one point, but I think that was about it really.

Skaven overall is a very hard matchup. This is probably not the nastiest list, you can easily free up points for more units by taking Slaves instead of Clanrats for example. It does sport a number of their tricks though and anything with a Screaming Bell + Stormvermin should make High Elves think twice about how to go about the game.

RE.Lee

#490 Post by RE.Lee »

Congrats on the win against a tricky opponent! I tend to get 13th in the face a lot when facing Skaven - elite infantry is such a good target for that spell :) The White Lions' sacrifice was worth it I guess, though its a pity they failed to bring down the Seer (thats one tough son-of-a-rat!).
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#491 Post by Curu Olannon »

The 13th is roughly 50-50 to cast on 6D6. It can be game-breaking when it goes through, but it can also be game-breaking to lose 6PD for nothing. The powerscroll helps of course, but then you have to take a secondary mage for the scroll. In ETC you can spend a maximum of 5PD to cast a spell, reducing the chances for getting off 13th to such a level that it becomes a big risk to even attempt it (without the powerscroll).

The problem with the Seer is primarily the Fencer`s Blades. Had I not taken so many casualties from impact hits though he might have gone down ;)

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#492 Post by Curu Olannon »

.::. Battle Report - 2400 vs Dark Elves (ETC comp) .::.

My list:

Prince on Barded Steed, Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Ironcurse Icon = 268
Loremaster of Hoeth, Book of Hoeth, Talisman of Preservation = 330
Noble BSB on Barded Steed, Dragonhelm, Golden Crown of Atrazar, The Other Trickster`s Shard, Dragon Armour, Shield, Lance = 163
Heavens Mage, Dispel Scroll = 110
Characters = 871

12 Silver Helms, Shields, Full Command = 306
5 Silver Helms, Shields, Musician = 125
5 Reavers, bows = 85
5 Reavers, bows = 85
Core = 601

20 White Lions, FC, BOTWD = 340
20 PG, FC, Razor Standard = 375
Special = 715

3 RBT = 210
Rare = 210

Army Total = 2397

His list:

General (252 poeng)
Dreadlord, Giant Blade, Dragonhelm, Dawnstone, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield
Supreme Sorceress (340 poeng)
Lvl 4 upgrade (Lore of Light), Dark steed, Dispel Scroll, Ring of Hotek, Ruby Ring of Ruin
Heroes (330 poeng)
Death Hag (330 poeng)
BSB, Cauldron of Blood, Cry ofWar, Banner of Swiftness
Core (627 poeng)
5 Dark Riders, crossbows, shield (100 poeng)
5 Dark Riders, crossbows, shield (100 poeng)
32Witch Elves, Full Command, Razor Standard (427 poeng)
Special (600 poeng)
Reaper Bolt Thrower (70 poeng)
30 Har Ganeth Executioners, Full Command (390 poeng)
Rare (250 poeng)
10 Doomfire Warlocks (250 poeng)
Totalt: 2399 poeng

// Pre-battle thoughts and deployment //

Eager to face the new Dark Elves. I know they are a tough matchup so I wanted to find out how tough.

Deployment: I wanted to be able to bring PG and Helms away from Witchelves to get points and threaten his rear. I also wanted to see if it is possible to engage the witchstar. Magic-wise my only threat is Spirit Leech offensively, and to a certain degree Fireball. I managed to deploy well, with Reavers in cover.

He got Phas, Net, Banishment, Timewarp. I took Iceshard. He got T1 with +1.

// DE T1 //

Everything moved up. Magic saw me dispel Timewarp. Shooting killed a Silver Helm.

// HE T1 //

I move SH to chaffing position. PG outside of Witches` arc. Magic sees me IF Spirit Leech on 3D6. I take a wound off of his General. Miscast blast, BOTWD contains it. Dice lost, phase over. Shooting kills DR and an RBT.

// DE T2 //

Again he moves up. Execs careful of PG. 2 Dark Riders centrally try to march, 1 fails dangerous terrain and the other panics despite re-roll LD10. Magic, can`t remember but nothing major (think he had Phas up or something on the WE).

// HE T2 //

Helms block WE. PG move up. Bus and Lions await WE. Magic is low and he contains it. Shooting kills a couple Execs.

// DE T3 //

WE charge Helms. Execs await PG. Magic Doombolt kills 6 (!) PG. Shooting does little. Combat Helms die, he overruns.

// HE T3 //

More block for WE. I hold with PG. Magic SL dispelled on Lord, Fireball kills execs along with RBT fire.

// DE T4 //

Execs into PG, WE into blocker. Magic sees a very low phase - 3v1. I scroll 2D6 Phas on Execs, he manages to get bound frenzy from Cauldron through my defense to grant execs +1A. Shooting insignificant. In combat I kill more execs than I lose PG despite frenzy (on average I win this), he holds on a very low break test (he lost by 5 and rolled a 3...). WE overrun.

// HE T4 //

I move to see if I can`t handle the WE. Scroll comes out to stop SL. Shooting targets WE, a few die. In combat I kill all but 1 exec, who flees. I fail to catch.

// DE T5 //

WE keep eating chaff. Magic sees him kill lots of PG, RBTs kill even more PG. 1 alive. WE overrun HUGE and are probably out of where I can catch him.

// HE T5 //

I move after WE. Last PG charges exec who runs off table. Magic sees SL dispelled, Fireball kills a few WE. Shooting kills a couple WE.

His WE charges the last RBT and manage to run off the table. In my T6 I move the Loremaster out and finally get a good magic phase but fail to impress his RBT. VP-wise he`s roughly 100 ahead, so a 10-10 tie

// Evaluation //

Not much to say: I cannot deal with WE. I might`ve charged T5-6 if he hadn`t made that huge overrun. I had the Prince with WL here and a flank would only have allowed him 3 WEs to attack.

The lesson to be learned is that against a good player, it`s almost impossible to get a good situation vs WE. What I should`ve done here was commit cavalry to Execs with PG early on and put pressure on RBTs as well. Catching Warlocks is impossible but I could`ve fired SL on the L4 and moved Lions up as well. With re-rolling from BoH Hotek doesn`t really scare me.

It was a short report but truly I think that the lessons from this game, though important, were easy to spot and analyze :) If you spot something worth commenting, please leave a reply!

RE.Lee

Re: Path To Glory - BR vs Dark Elves May 7th

#493 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks for the report! The WE are a scary unit, but they didn't really DO much, it seems? They mostly conserved points so what looked like a nice win for you (it was, in a tactical sense) ended up a draw.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Teledor

#494 Post by Teledor »

Interesting game. Cagey kind of matchup with that DE list. A few questions though about a few of your decisions if you don't mind Curu.

On your turns 2 and 3, you placed your chaff helms in front of the witch elves to block and cause an overrun and I understand why you were blocking the witch elves, but why didn't you force the witch elves to do 90 degree wheel and head off in another direction instead of straight ahead? It looks as if your helms could've easily forced the witch elves to hit them in the front on Turn 2 and in the flank Turn 3. Or was there a greater master plan?

Thanks for the report.
Prince Luficer

#495 Post by Prince Luficer »

Have you considered letting your prince tie up the witch elves? If you keep your BSB within 12" and keep his dreadlord busy elsewhere he should be able to pin them down until you can get a good flank charge.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#496 Post by Curu Olannon »

@RE.Lee - the WE killed 5 Helms, 5 Reavers and 2 RBTs. Frenzy-baiting is their main weakness. My error was trying to counter them, but I wanted to see if it can be done. To this end, despite the draw, I learned a lot which I can hopefully use to my favour in the coming tournament :) I think that with proper execution this should be a 12-8 ish victory to me.

@Teledor - that`s an interesting thought. The immediate problem with this is the WE simply reforming and moving around you. The second problem is that due to him getting T1, it was harder to set it up like I wanted to. I`m not saying it can`t be done - perhaps it would`ve even been better to draw him off the table, but I felt very pressed to just send them into the RBTs (this also opened up for my WL and SH to perform flanking moves, without his 11" overrun I might`ve considered a charge at this point. Thanks a lot for your input, valuable food for thought ;) Unfortunately I don`t have time to do a more thorough analysis as it`s midnight and I have lots of bases and trays left to paint and it looks like I`ll be busy tomorrow.

@Prince Luficer - Witchelves are looking at 3 ranks, banner and BSB. Besides, the Dreadlord is in the unit. What I did consider however was to let the Lions stand 1-wide with the Prince attached. He only gets to direct 3 Witchelves against them, but it`s still too many attacks to be worthwhile in the end. The Prince with BOTWD he basically cannot hurt, but the problem is mis-matching base sizes. With a cav unit carrying BOTWD blocking becomes an entirely different game, but then again you`re not stubborn ;)

Thanks for your replies everyone :) This game concludes my preparation. Unfortunately I must admit that I don`t believe that this is a top list, it has too many weaknesses and it`s very hard to score big points with. I found out too late that the tournament uses an alternative scoring table as well, where 20-0 requires a 2001+ VP advantage compared to the normal 1501+. I have confidence in the fact that I can play stable with this list and avoid making terrible mistakes and I`m hoping to get a good streak as well. However I do think I`m limited when it comes to being able to contend for the top spots. It`s a big tournament (>100 people) with lots of very strong players, but of course I`m hoping for the best and I`m prepared to give anyone a tough game.

Prince Luficer

#497 Post by Prince Luficer »

Ooops. Didn't realise all those characters where in the unit. I assumed the dreadlord was on a steed, and I had no idea that the new cauldron of blood could join units xD
John Rainbow

#498 Post by John Rainbow »

Comments on the DE game to come...

Going back to the previous one though, agreed about the Reavers. I too have been having a similar problem with needing to protect them for later-game use but still keep them somewhere close-by to actually get that use out of them. I think that is one of the big problems I have had against DE in particular - they can easily kill the Reavers given the opportunity. In my last couple of games (the ones with the deployment maps in my blog) I tried to hide my Reavers and managed to do that but ended up with them in positions where they couldn't help me redirect units in T3/4 when it came to the crunch.

As you say, +1 for taking an eagle in lists although where to get the points from is a different issue...
John Rainbow

#499 Post by John Rainbow »

Comments on the DE game now...

So in some ways I feel a bit better about my lacklustre performances against DE in recent games :)
Not much to say: I cannot deal with WE. I might`ve charged T5-6 if he hadn`t made that huge overrun. I had the Prince with WL here and a flank would only have allowed him 3 WEs to attack.

The lesson to be learned is that against a good player, it`s almost impossible to get a good situation vs WE.
DE are a really tough counter to HE at the moment as I think generally their troops > our troops and not just due to hatred - WE are just brutal. They also have great 'chaff' in D.Riders and Warlocks that can pretty effectively deal with our chaff (along with RBTs) making this matchup a really tough one to get the win out of. It feels like you had to work at the draw here too which says something - a small slip-up in your redirection and you are in trouble.

In terms of facing down the WEs, any casualties you can do to them really helps and you are doing the right things in going for the flanks. The dream is to hit them on two sides so they can't reform and then you can get to work on kicking them. This also has the added benefit of taking the hag out of the equation although in general I've found her pretty easy to kill in CC so you can get those BSB points and remove the BSB in the right situation (Ld10 in addition to the rest on WE is just silly!) - maybe possible with a lone character as you can maximise on the chariot and only a couple of other models and they can't refuse the challenge with the hag as she can't move within the unit.
anorexia

#500 Post by anorexia »

Overall i think You did a fine job!
Dont You think that it would be better to feed WE whole game with small units and take care of rest of the army?

regards
John Rainbow

#501 Post by John Rainbow »

Quick thought on the DE list. Why include the Dreadlord and then, why in the Witches? I get that he can open some cans for them in terms of armour but is he really a necessity here? I feel like that is 250pts that could be better spent elsewhere on other units like redirectors, a peg hero or something. Also putting him in the witches is a liability as doesn't he take wounds from them each turn as he is not 'Khainite' or whatever the special term is?
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#502 Post by Curu Olannon »

@Prince Luficer - Looks like you need to read up on the new DE rules ;)

@John Rainbow - In this game I kept Reavers alive by holding them far back. 3 RBTs is very hard for them. Eagle would indeed be golden here. Basically playing vs DE with a traditional infantry-based list is all about board control. However I do believe that against this particular list I should've won like 12-8. I just wanted to see if I could touch the WE, which I could not.

You ask why the Dreadlord? I say the Dreadlord is essential for this unit to work. With the Cauldron added you're looking at 700 points and bonuses, at LEAST. Bear in mind that nothing in this unit, so far, can really make a dent in 1+. 7 Demis will tear it apart, for example. With S7 AP re-rolling to wound however, the equation changes greatly. Furthermore he presents a real threat to combo charges. The one opportunity I had in this game to charge both flanks for example, he could've made way and killed my BSB. There goes that plan. As for him taking damage, it happens once every 100th game or so. It's a few S3 hits and he has 1+ re-rollable.

The real deal, in my opinion, is to ditch the executioners and spend those points on more support: add a 4th RBT, get that Peg rider with cloak, 2 units of Shades... That's when things turn real ugly, real soon. I have played against such a list, albeit with CD and not HE. Suffice is to say, it's brutal.

Dealing with the WE-star for High Elves boils down to 3 options: cavstar to the face, monsters to the face, shooting. If you don't have a cavstar with BOTWD to protect from the Lord, no SD + Frostheart and not enough significant shooting to bring them down, you have no other option but to feed them chaff all game and hope he can't get free. DE with Shades, Warlocks and RBTs are however very good at killing chaff...

@anorexia - You are correct. I think that is the best play I can make here ;)

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#503 Post by Curu Olannon »

Final night, final preparations. Army is done, at last! Finishing trays and bases took longer than expected. Remind me to finish earlier before my next tournament ;) Magic cards are packed, percentage sheets glued in my army book, FAQs printed out. I`m very eager to play this now ;)

So, some final juicy bits for you before I depart. First of all, the lists have been official for a while. If you want to have a look at them, you can download a pdf here. I have already spent quite a while looking through the main trends but in the end, I have to make decisions on a game-to-game basis so over-analyzing it all prior to playing doesn`t necessarily give you an edge (especially considering the huge amount of lists). Furthermore I feel that the variety of opponents I`ve faced during my warm-up games have given me a good understanding of how my army should play in virtually any matchup.

I`d also like to present some army shots:

Expect a tournament report when I get back ;)

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Path To Glory - Final tournament preparations page 17

#504 Post by Curu Olannon »

So I am back from a very exciting and exhausting tournament. Reports from 5 interesting games will follow as soon as I have time ;) 102 participants in total with a very high average skill level. Predictions anyone?

jsg2295

#505 Post by jsg2295 »

Without the benefit of knowing who you drew against...I will say you did slightly above average and came in around 35.
Malossar
Something Cool

#506 Post by Malossar »

Winner?
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#507 Post by Curu Olannon »

I`m sorry to disappoint you both, but neither are correct. First report coming up soon :)

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#508 Post by Curu Olannon »

So this weekend I attended "Svensk Mesterskap" (Swedish Championship) which is open for everyone. We were roughly 25 Norwegians taking the trip to compete with the Swedes, last year a Norwegian won the event so we were hoping one of us could replicate his success.

.::. Battle Report - SM #1 vs Vampire Counts (ETC comp) .::.

My list:

Prince on Barded Steed, Heavy Armour, Enchanted Shield, Giant Blade, Dawnstone, Ironcurse Icon = 268
Loremaster of Hoeth, Book of Hoeth, Talisman of Preservation = 330
Noble BSB on Barded Steed, Dragonhelm, Golden Crown of Atrazar, The Other Trickster`s Shard, Dragon Armour, Shield, Lance = 163
Heavens Mage, Dispel Scroll = 110
Characters = 871

12 Silver Helms, Shields, Full Command = 306
5 Silver Helms, Shields, Musician = 125
5 Reavers, bows = 85
5 Reavers, bows = 85
Core = 601

20 White Lions, FC, BOTWD = 340
20 PG, FC, Razor Standard = 375
Special = 715

3 RBT = 210
Rare = 210

Army Total = 2397

His list:

Vampire lord; GENERAL, lv1 vampires, aura of dark majesty, quickblood, ogre blade, talisman of
preservation, the other trickster shard, @375pts
Master necromancer; lv4 death, dispel scroll,@225pts
Wight king; BSB, great weapon, obsidian lodestone,@160pts
Tomb banshee;@95pts
Tomb banshee;@95pts
40 crypt ghouls; champion,@410pts
29 zombies; musician, banner,@97pts
5 dire wolves;@40pts
5 dire wolves;@40pts
5 dire wolves;@40pts
2 fell bats;@32pts
2 fell bats;@32pts
8 crypt horrors; champion,@314pts
Mortis engine;@220pts
Terrorgheist;@225pts
2400/2400

// Pre-battle thoughts and deployment //

Not the hardest of VC lists, but getting big points from VC is always a problem. 4+ Regen Crypt Horrors are surely no exception here. I wanted to deploy defensively and hope that he would come to me, I cannot push against VC lord + Horrors + Terrorgheist with a lot of ghouls to boot. It just doesn`t work.

I got a central hill in my deployment area and went to work around it, Helms on the far flank to wheel around with Lions central and PG anchoring vs Ghouls. A good start, with characters out of all death snipes for T1 and me intending to bring them into WL when needed for snipe protection. For magic he got snipes and D&D I think, maybe Soulblight. I took Iceshard.

I had +1 to go first and took the initiative!

// HE T1 //

I moved to get in range of the Mortis Engine. The rest stayed defensive. Magic saw me start off with IF boosted Burning Gaze, which killed off the Mortis Engine. I went to work on his chaff with the RBTs, one dog survived from one unit.

// VC T1 //

He thought for a while and then started advancing, slowly. Magic saw me contain everything, this turn was quick.

// HE T2 //

Seeing him advance so slowly caused me to wonder whether he was content with sitting still and grabbing like 8 points or so. I decided that he`d likely continue to seek an openening so I kept up with my passive play. Magic, can`t remember but nothing major. Shooting killed more chaff.

// VC T2 //

Finally he advanced up a lot with his Ghouls and I breathed a sigh of relief. Magic saw D&D land on the Helms which were flanked by Wolves. Fine by me! In combat I killed the Wolves, but not enough because I failed the fear test. He had 1 left, I reformed towards him.

// HE T3 //

At this point it was time to start looking forwards. After this turn I had 3 moves left in the game. I decided to bide my time for one more round to see if he would swallow my passive trap. If he did, this would give me time to destroy Ghouls + Terrorgheist with PG and Crypt Horrors with the Lions. Depending on luck, I could possibly engage his bunker as well.

Magic and shooting took care of more chaff, he now only had bats left. In combat SH win and reform.

// VC T3 //

The commit finally happens! He pushes bats to block my Lions and Ghouls go up far. Magic contained as per usual.

// HE T4 //

I charge Ghouls with PG + SHelms and blockers with WL. Reavers move to block Crypt Horrors. Magic sees me get through Wyssan`s on PG, might`ve been Iceshard on him as well, can`t remember. In combat I massacre the Ghouls badly but with their huge number they remain alive. A PG or two die, they are so resilient!

// VC T4 //

I had placed the Reavers outside of his bunker`s line of sight, however in doing so the crypt horrors had a possible overrun into PG should the reavers fail to die as pursuits happen center-through-center. Had I placed them 3+2 I probably would`ve avoided this. Anyway, he declared the charge and I had to hold. Bunker moves up, TG finally commits. Magic contained. Shooting sees TG kill a Helm or two, nothing major. In combat the Reavers all die (luckily) but he decides to try an overrun into WL (needing 9+ I think), which he fails and he is now exposed to me with his flank. The PG kill all Ghouls and reform to face the TG.

What happens now is that Helms flank his bats, WL flank his Horrors. The bats are placed so that the Horrors have to close the door to my WL, allowing the Helms an overrun. I use my Reavers to set up a trap for his bunker, assuming I win the big fight. PG go into Terrorgheist. Magic sees me land a buff or two but it doesn`t matter: the Crypt Horrors are decimated so horribly that it`s not even funny. PG kills the Terrorgheist as well and reform towards the center.

He sees the trap: if he charges I simply flee and he`s vulnerable to counter-charges. He backs off and in my T6 I try Spirit Leech but MR3 is solid. In his last turn he gets an RBT or something for a few points. Counting up I`m a little over 1000 victory points ahead, which by this tournament`s standard was enough for a 15-5 victory to the High Elves!

// Evaluation //

This game was a good opening for me. I was lucky to have him try an impossible push: with his units split by the huge building he had no choice but to advance like this, if he wanted to at all. I could`ve been left with a passive match here, which with my missiles likely would`ve ended up ~12-8. Playing defensively against his split push with near-immunity to his magic (only danger was D&D) was quite easy since he had long distances to cover and I had lots of space to manouevre on.

The one mistake I made (that was significant) was the Reavers` not going 3+2. Luckily they all died, otherwise it could`ve been nasty, but to be honest I think the PG would`ve killed enough Ghouls to win regardless (I got a LOT of casulties from them as they were still under Wyssan`s).

My opponent ended up placing 94/102

rusty

Re: Path To Glory - SM Game 1/5 up!

#509 Post by rusty »

Look forward to seeing all five matches presented. I'll comment more then.
For this match, I'm curious why you think you pushing is such a bad idea. His army is split up and unable to support itself mutually because of the big building. You could go hard and fast for the ghouls with PG, and WL. If he then tried to swing round the house he would have to chew through white lions and your knights could hit him in the flank.

Was the reason that you had to kill his chaff first?

Him comitting the terrorgheist in that manner was suicide, when you would almost certainly destroy the ghouls and reform. Any idea why he did it?
Army blog: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=43579
John Rainbow

Re: Path To Glory - SM Game 1/5 up!

#510 Post by John Rainbow »

Nice win. It is good to get off to a winning start in any event so well done!

As an aside, that table setup certainly screwed your opponent in some ways - building and a swamp to contend with. Was he able to deploy in the building? If so that may have been the better option. How was terrain placement/table sides done?