Giga-Con 5 Game Tournament

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

tsheldon

Giga-Con 5 Game Tournament

#1 Post by tsheldon »

Hello all,

This post will have tournament introduction information and then I'll try to get the first battle report up tonight (it will be my first go with battle chronicler).

I will say I had a great time at the tournament and all 5 of my opponents were really fun to play against.

Tournament Rules:
No end times characters; only end times units that current armies can already take.
Lore of death allowed.

Special characters allowed; otherwise US Maters rules apply (like no folding fortress).

For each game- you received 2 battle points for every 400 points of enemy killed. Units, characters, and monsters that were below 1/2 size or 1/2 Wounds gave up 1/2 of their points. Maximum battle points for this is 10 (so you kill 2000 points or more of enemy, you get maximum score).

Additionally - there were 5 secondary objectives that each player chooses for each battle (each player chooses their own, it does not have to be the same as the opponent's objectives). For each secondary objective completed; you get 2 battle points.

Here are the possible secondary objectives:

1) Kill enemy BSB
2) Kill enemy general
3) Kill all enemy core
4) Kill all enemy rare
5) Kill all enemy special
6) Kill all enemy mages
7) control more table quarters
8) Control center of table (watchtower)
9) Have units in enemy deployment zone
10) Be the first to kill a unit

Todd's Asur Host

Characters:
Loremaster w/book of hoeth & talisman of protection
Battle standard bearer - star lance, potion of foolhardiness, golden helm, dragon armor & shield on barded steed
Level 1 mage w/dispel scroll

Core:
12 Archers - musician
12 Silverhelms - full command, with shields
5 reavers - bows & spears
5 reavers - bows & spears

Special & Rare:
24 White Lions - full command, banner of the world dragon
20 Phoenix guard - full command
5 dragon princes
1 frost phoenix
1 eagle
2 Repeating Bolt Throwers

Tournament Summary

I finished 3 - 2 in the tournament and placed 10 of the 24 entrants.
Armies I recall seeing in the tournament:
1 beastmen
1 skaven
2 wood elf
2 dark elf
1 dwarf
1 bretonian
4 high elf
2 daemons
2 chaos warriors
1 vampire counts

I don't recall the other 7 - probably more chaos lists (daemon or warriors) that I did not take note of. I do know for sure that there were none of the following
No empire
No tomb kings
No chaos dwarves

Overall winner was a Dark Elf player and a wood elf player took 2nd.

My opponents were:
Bretonians
Daemons of Chaos
Dark Elves
High Elves
High Elves

More to come.

Regards,
Todd
Galdor

Re: Giga-Con 5 Game Tournament

#2 Post by Galdor »

Looking forward to this! Thanks for writing up the reports.
tsheldon

Giga-Con Game 1 Battle Report

#3 Post by tsheldon »

Hello all,

OK - testing uploading battle report with links to pictures stored on my flikr page.

Deployment for the game was each side had to be 6" off of the diagonal middle of the table.

The bretonian player won the dice roll to go first and elected to pray to provide the ward save for his units. Bretonian player did vanguard up the mounted men at arms; I also moved up my reavers.

I was hoping to bait knight units into charges then counter charge them. Also wanted to get my reavers in his back line to take out the trebuchets.

High elf Turn 1:

To clear the chaff I had the Eagle & phoenix guard charges mounted men at arms - the phoenix guard making it was a bonus (they needed an 8). They are wiped out the mounted men at arms in combat, phoenix guard reform to be able to charge men at arms or any knight blocks that fail a charge. The eagle overruns after the combat to attack the men at arms (mostly to pin them in their current location).

Loremaster casts iceshard on one of the trebuchets with 4 dice - gets a miscast and looses all his magic levels (ouch!). Overall, I rolled 4 miscasts in the tournament (although 3 of them are my fault as you will see later).

Archers and reavers shoot and kill enough bretonian archers to cause a panic test, and they fail it and run off the board. The back of the board is now open for my reavers.

Bretonian Turn 1 (disaster for HE based upon miracle charge range).

KOTR charged the frost phoenix which fled, then redirected into silver helms that also fled. Intent was to be able to counter charge with white lions and phoenix guard. With perks, KOTR had an extra +1" charge and +D6" charge and charged 27" to catch the fleeing silverhelms that had only fled 5" and were 26" away. So on best of 3 dice; bretonian got 2 6's, and on his bonus dice, got a 5. Ouch.

The battle standard bearer was in the unit with the silverhelms; so he is also lost.

In magic, the level 4 cast transformation of kadon onto the level 2 mage in the men at arms unit, so now the eagle is fighting men at arms and a chimera. In that combat, very poor rolling by my opponent meant that the eagle only lost by 1 and passed his break test.

Other units moved up to threaten HE left flank. Trebuchets missed their marks.

HE Turn 2:

Dragon princes charge the pegasus knights that flee; but do not run off the board.

Phoenix guard join the fight against the men at arms. Reavers move into position to charge the flank of the men at arms as well as the trebuchet.

Frost Phoenix rallies.

In magic, the level 1 mage got enough dice and dispel transformation of kadon and we were just fighting the mage again.

In combat, the eagle is killed and well as many elves and men at arms. I loose by a little; but the phoenix guard stick. Units will continue to beat each other up for a bit.

RBT either cannot hit or cannot wound knights this whole game. Their shooting was very ineffective (lots of missed shots, and when I hit, a 1 to wound). Let's be clear on this - I am not even making him do ward saves on his knights with the RBT because I cannot even get a wound on them.

Bretonian Turn 2:

Both knights errants unit charge the white lions with the loremaster in it. 2 wounds are pushed through on the loremaster; multiple knights die , and many white lions die. White lions loose combat but hold on their stubborn 9 leadership. I do target the KE unit champions to try to reduce attacks and kill one of the two champions.

peg knights rally.

KOTR charge and wipe out RBT; reform to face middle of the board.

Trebuchet hits and kills the frost phoenix. I hate those things.

Phoenix guard and the men at arms grind away - the numbers are not in my favor; I'm loosing too many elves to beat that big block of troops; hopefully the reavers will save me.

High Elf Turn 3:

Reavers charge men at arms in the flank - their added killing ability and flank bonus help the HE win - the men at arms break and are run down.

The white lions chop up knights errant and take little wounds in return - significant difference that he is not hitting me on 4's and wounding on 4's this turn; I think I killed 5 or 6 knights and lost 1 or 2 white lions. Both knights units break. One is run down the other is still fleeing. The KE Unit loses its standard and the BSB dies fleeing from combat.

Dragon princes had moved into a position to charge the knights errant in the rear if combat had continued.
2nd unit of reavers charges and kills trebuchet crew then overruns into 2nd trebuchet.

Rest of Game:

This is a synopsis of the rest of the game.

Knights errant did not rally and a unit of reavers charged them to force them to flee off the board.

Peg knights helped the KOTR corner the white lions so they could be killed. The loremaster did escape the unit and survived the game. I did give up a unit of reavers in an attempt to protect the white lions (redirected the KOTR for 1 turn).

Ultimately - it was a slight loss for the High Elves based upon victory points (I gave up ~ 1700 VP and gained about ~1500 VP) although the total battle points (due to VP and secondary objectives) were 14 each.

Regards,
Todd
Last edited by tsheldon on Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Loriel

#4 Post by Loriel »

sadly pictures aren't showing atleast not for me
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
tsheldon

#5 Post by tsheldon »

Hello all,

OK - pictures are not there- I'll work on that soon.

I did spend some time with my ISP last night - it took them 40 minutes to figure out my subscription did not provide any hosting space (so cannot put up HTML output from battale chronicler).

Links to pictures in flikr and box did not work - then I ran out of gas to try dropbox.

Regards,
Todd
Rogue Trader

#6 Post by Rogue Trader »

An alternative is Photobucket.

Inserting images took me a while to figure out so I made a few notes. I'll copy them into a separate post...so I don't hijack your battle reports.
tsheldon

#7 Post by tsheldon »

Hello all,

OK - I've tried, and tried to get the pictures to work but could not get them to show - so I've given up for now.

Here's a quick run-down of the remaining games:

Game 2 verses daemons of Chaos:
2 daemon princes - both flying, 1 nurgle, 1 tzeetch
2 tzeetch chariots
2 khorne cannons
2 beasts of nurgle
big block of horrors
2 smaller blocks of horrors (or maybe more horrors, don't recall)

I knew that the daemon princes would avoid the white lions due to the BoWD, so question was what could they get in combat with and kill.

Daemon player had all 4 charts and 2 of the 3 foot unit blocks across my troops on the right side of the table, so ultimately I moved everything off my left flank to pursue those units I could pin down and kill.

In all my shooting in the game - I got 1 bolt that hit, wounded and did not get ward saved. Did 3 wounds to the nurgle daemon prince that made him less interesting in fighting.

Still flying nurgle prince killed my unit of archers and RBT that were abandoned on my left flank - and on my right flank I made a tactical mistake and exposed my silverhelms with BSB to a charge from the tzeetch deamon (I killed a unit, overran off the table thinking I could come back anywhere on that table edge - did not realize I had to come back right where I left - he was there waiting for me to return). Silverhelms and BSB were eaten by daemon prince.

In the middle the dragon princes and white lions bumped off a beast of nurgle, the big block of horrors as well as taking out a cheese cannon (khorne cannon). Frost phoenix helped this - but between combats the phoenix was exposed to a round of cannon balls and the cheese cannons took him out (he has now died in both of my first 2 games).

Phoenix guard helped me take out small unit of horrors (daemonettes / whatever) - and the reavers died to shooting from the tzeetch chariots.

chaos had a slight edge on VP's (200-300) so was a slight loss; we both got 8 points out of the game since I had more successful side missions.

Regards,
Todd
tsheldon

#8 Post by tsheldon »

Hello all,

Game 3 is against dark elf - this game and the next are all against elf players (last 2 battles vs HE players).

Dark Elf list:
Morathi on peg
Hero on Peg
big block of repeating x-bow
2 groups of dark riders
5 RBT
level 2 mage
BSB with block of cold one riders

I'm at a significant disadvantage in magic and shooting so I know I have to be aggressive and get into combat.

He does moves up his dark riders on my right side and I attack and kill them with my silverhelms - I try to overrun to get out of the charge arc of his cold one riders - but a low roll leaves my flank exposed (I then realized that the dark riders were bait for my silverhelms).
The cold one knights chewed up the silverhelms.

Turn 2 sees me get my frost phoenix into his big block of cross bowmen and I start pounding away on them. He sends the hero on peg to to try to save them - but it doesn't work. With the help of the phoenix guard, I wipe out the crossbowmen and the hero on peg.

I loose the eagle to shooting before he gets into the RBTs. The dragon princes take out 1 RBT and after killing the foot unit the phoenix takes out a 2nd RBT.

Morathi successfully cast purple sun in the middle of the game - took out about 1/3 of the white lions. On the last turn of the game - she tried to cast it again (going after the phoenix guard and the frost phoenix) and cast it with IF and then rolled a misfire on its distance. It sucked her and the unit of dark riders down.

Slight win for the high elves and onto game #4.

Game #4:
Against High Elf player.

He had:

30 archers
10 archers
2 x 5 reavers
big block of white lions + arielle +banner of the world dragon
Level 4w/new undead magic - and he had lots of undead units ready to summon
4 RBT
shadow warriors

Again - I was going to be out magic and out shot in this game.

He gets to go first and on turn 1 shots one of my reaver units off the table, hurts the silverhelms as well.

Again I decide I need to be aggressive and figure my best bet is to take out the big block of archers. I move my silverhelms, phoenix and eagle towards them.

He makes a long distance charge with his white lions (needed a 10 and he got it) into the silverhelms and chops them up. My phoenix and eagle take out his shadow warriors (that were acting as a screen) and eventually make it into his big archer block. He keeps buffing the archers with arielle and I only win 1 or 2 combats and eventually the frost phoenix breaks (but is not run down).

While the phoenix and archers are battling on the right side of the table - there some combats going on the far left side of the able. My dragon princes take out a unit of reavers and a small unit of archers. In the middle of the table - my white lions and phoenix guard kill a unit of skelaton archers and try to get to HE archers - he summons a block of zombies to tie them down some more.

Back on the right side of the table - his white lions come back from killing the silver helms to attack the phoenix - and they break it and run it down.

Then - we have white lion on white lion violence as he charges my white lions to keep them from the archers. I'm loosing - but making my stubborn roles. He's using his dice to dispell earthblood because I'm casting it just to heal my loremaster (and he wants to kill him to get VP) - because of that - I get a soulquench off on the big block of archers on the last turn of the game - units small enough now and I do enough damage to cause it to panic and I get a big VP swing in the last turn.

Overall - a small victory for my high elves.

Game 5 - vs another HE army

He had:

Hero on griffon
level 4 mage
level 2 mage
block of sea guard
block of phoenix guard
block of archers
2 RBT
frost phoenix
2 blocks of reavers

Both of our frost phoenix were across from each other on the right side of the table - I also had my silverhelms, dragon princes, and reavers over there as well (because if you fight stuff that stomps - do it with mounted units it cannot stomp)

We both vanguard up aggressively and I get the first turn. My frost phoenix charges his reavers on the right (that hold) and squish them. I reform to face the middle of the battle field (where all the enemy foot units are).

His frost phoenix charges my reavers on my right flank and i flee. I counter charge his phoenix with my silverhelms (in the front) and a unit of reavers in the side - I punch through a couple of wounds, win on combat resolution and run him down. This and my regular movement leaves me with reavers, silverhelms, and dragon princes on my opponents flank.

His phoenix guard get into my white lions who hold for a round of combat, and then when my phoenix guard join the fight they break and run down his phoenix guard.

He also attacks the white lions with his big block of sea guard - they hold for 1 turn, then my frost phoenix joins the fight from the sea guard rear and then all the sea guard get wiped out.

My RBT and archers shoot the griffon out from under the hero before he makes it across the board - then a single bolt into the hero finishes him off.

Reavers and dragon princes mop up the other units in my enemy's backfield.

It was a big, big victory for my high elves.

Regards,
Todd