Baptism of Fire

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

NonnoSte

Re: Baptism of Fire

#181 Post by NonnoSte »

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're not good. I believe any shooty list can't work with less than 10 (15 is better) and if I knew I'm facing elves, I'd take 20.
But in a list like yours, more combat oriented, I don't see them so crucial (I'm probably wrong, since.I've yet to try a list as fighty as yours).
After all, what a heavy cavalry could do against you? Chasing your Bus? Good luck catching it. Chasing Eternal Guards? Good luck getting out in time. The only target is your Ancient, but he's not that simple to take down either and is stubborn. They could get stuck between your lines easily.

You plan on removing EG. Wow, that's a change!
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Baptism of Fire

#182 Post by SpellArcher »

Combined Arms

The problem is NonnoSte, when faced with a swiftly advancing wall of armour, my army is not elusive enough to slip past it and not powerful enough to break through it. I have to try and pick it apart, taking some bits out with shooting/magic, redirecting others, ganging up on and destroying others. A decent Waywatcher contingent is important here because I don't otherwise have the resources to deal with multiple threats.

The last bit is the issue with the EG really. If used carefully they can delay the enemy and survive the game. But at London's Burning I really struggled to use them aggressively. Their ranks and numbers are one necessary ingredient to breaking powerful enemy units, alongside the fighting power of the bus and sometimes even this combo (as in my Beastmen game at Ill Blood 2) requires help from another unit, such as the Ancient. Without gaining some kind of positional advantage first, this kind of multiple charge can prove too difficult to pull off.

The answer I believe, is to strengthen the infantry block so that it can go mano-a-mano with strong enemy units. This would let my excellent support units roam free and do their jobs without having to hide quite so much. The first way of doing this is to make the EG bigger and switch to a lvl4 on Shadow with Power Scroll. Tricky for anything to engage but depending on dice a little. The second is to bring in foot characters, either the EG-star or Rangers with Mollesvinet's Life/Crown set-up for example. The last is my favourite but obviously shakes up Core a bit.

Fundamentally, my preferred style of army needs the fast punch, it needs the shooting, it needs the redirectors, it needs a solid unit that can hold the enemy up. But I'm increasingly coming to realise that it also needs a main combat unit that can give the enemy a kicking.