Wamphyri101 Chrace Elves Blog - Stupid list got splatted

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

wamphyri101

Re: Tales of Wamphyri101 Chrace Elves - Deathmasters + Caradryan

#181 Post by wamphyri101 »

So I managed to sneak two games with the list yesterday even though I was pretty hung over from one of our club members stag nights the evening before

Game 1 was against Ogre Kingdoms

Now he was using a very odd list to what I am used to seeing but he had just crushed another HE player before me *who was running WL + PG block, 3 RBT, Prince, Archmage*

So he had:

Slaughtermaster on maw
Butcher on beasts
BSb (with slaughtermaster)
100 Gnoblaers with trappers
6 x 10 Gnoblars
3 x 5 Leadbelchers
2 x 1 sabertusks
Ironblaster
Scrap launcher

His spells were regen, + str, Maw & the S2 shooting one. Beasts got wildform (as swapped from transformation) and savage beasts

I had loremaster + Soulblight, purple sun (rolled a double for fate on Bunja which I switched to spirit leach)

So his aim seemed to be to hold the biggest unit up with 100 gnoblars while shooting you off it seems. Also potential of making the gnoblars S5/T5/Regen was pretty worrying. In a battle of attrition his gnoblars would most likely win out

Sadly for him this game was over by turn 2. He had placed his bsb and slaughtermaster in 1 unit of 5 leadbelchers but miss deployed a unit in front of them so my frosthearts could actually get into his unit on either side

This meant I did 3 wounds to his bsb and 2 to the unit. I took 0 in return and then failed there test and were ran down. This rippled panic checks and saw the 100 + 3 x 10 gnoblars flee. He conceded but it was a valuable lesson for him

Game 2 vs Warriors of chaos

Well I say warriors of chaos but:

Kholak Suneater
Throgg
lvl2 Tzeentch (on metal)
Netlist bsb
18 trolls
6 trolls
5 skullcrushers

He rolled final trans and glittering robes

I rolled double purplesun and -3 ld, so I took Purple sun, soul blight and spirit leach again (feels like a good stable If I get the opportunity for them)

This game looked pretty tough for a while. I miss fired a purple sun turn 2 (no losses) and he was throwing a as many dice as he could at my white lions on final trans

Skull crushers:
I double frostheart charged his skullcrushers and even with +1 attack, hitting 8 times and wounding 7, he made all but 2 saves. I took 0 back but only won by 1 and he held. This happened for 2 phases until I lost combat by 3 and both fled. Luckily they got away but one was charged by kholek and ran off the table as he failed to rally but the other held, only to be charged and killed on turn 5. I managed t get a soulblight off on them turn 5 which meant I shot them down to the BSB and champion but it meant I lost out on the units points

Kholek:
Was shot by archers, POS reaverbow, boltthrowers and spirit leach to kill him turn 4. He achieved running a frostheart off the board and killing 4 white lions with his shooting attack

Throgg:
Breath weaponed 7 white lions in a shooting template attack (ouch)took a wound before killing my white lion champion but finally died to died to spirit leach

6 trolls:
Where whittled down by archers and fireball (plus shems) until 3 left charged 13 wildformed archers in combat behind a hedge. I killed 1 before he could hit and he wiffed his attacks (needing 5's)
They fled and the archers ran them down

18 trolls: Due to a sneaky miasma turn 3 which swapped my loremaster & archmage over with shadow step it meant I got a flank purple sun off down his 18 trolls using 4 dice which he failed to dispel. 13 trolls died giving me an 12 dice magic phase again

the next turn 1 charged them with the white lions plus Caradryan & loremaster. I got regen off, miasma on his WS, soulblight & iceshard also. Caradryan wouned the unit once but it was all I needed to kill another 2 trolls and wound throgg. I lost my champ and 3 WL. He then fled but I failed to catch and then the bugger snake eyes his LD test and irrisitable hit s the white lions with final trans. 5 die and the loremaster. They then flee to make things worse and under 25% but I managed to rally turn 6 (they were not in any threat due to so far from tables edge and nothing left to charge at them)

Then hit them with shooting and magic and killed them off bar the mage.

So end of the game I won by like 600pts. He only had his BSB, Skull crusher champ (worth 380pts) and lvl 2 (on 1 wound)

I had 13 archers, 18 archers, 1 bolt thrower, 4 white lions, archmage, bsb and Caradryan.
Twitter: @chumphammer
Old WFB coming to give AoS a real try for a while.
wamphyri101

#182 Post by wamphyri101 »

Had a cracking game vs Skaven last night. Was pretty tough!
He had:
Seer w bell (scalm, fencers blades, earthing rod)
Bsb with Stormbanner
Warlock mage with condenser
Warlock with Rocket
Warlock with Orb
70 Clan Rats
30 Slaves
30 Slaves
30 Clan Rats
7 Gutter Runners
7 Gutter Runners
Doom Wheel
Doom Wheel
Abomination
Warp Lightning cannon
Rat Dart
Rat Dart

Spells: 13th, Howling warp gale, Death Frenzy, one he never used and warp lightning
I had Soul blight, Purple sun (shoulda gone for doom and darkness as had double 3) and spirit leach

It was really tight turn 1-4 and It looked like I was getting smashed. Turn 1 a rat dart kills a reaver unit as I roll 5x1’s/2’s to wound and he kills 3, running them down.

Turn 2 bell kills both boltthrowers with its T7 take D3 wounds.

Mass combat in the middle of the board goes on for Turns 2- 4. Involves both frosties, doomwheel, 1 unit of clan rats, 1 of slaves, white lions, Abom.

But he got cocky

On turn 4 I do enough to smash through him as Abom finally dies (but gets back up on 3 wounds…only to meet Chuck Norris Caradryan the next turn ;)

Mean turn 5 I get the white lions and a frostie into the flank of the bells unit. Grind the unit down over the rest of the game to kill all but the bell.

Game end with me losing far less than we thought (2 x reavers, 2 x BT and 18 Archers for his whole army bar bsb and bell/seer. Frosties were on 2 wounds each though)

Great Game
Amendil

#183 Post by Amendil »

I like your report style. You are really kicking some ass! Big games with big armies! You should a picture now and then of your opponents odd armies or huge model count. Thank you and keep at it!

So caradryan recommended?
wamphyri101

Re: Tales of Wamphyri101 Chrace Elves - Deathmasters + Carad

#184 Post by wamphyri101 »

Ah ha...yes...well...So I haven't been playing high elves much recently.

1 week before wetcoastgt I finished my armies new core...sat back and looked at it and though "its shit"

I was totally off wanting to play the army anymore. Its petty disheartening when you have spent like 3 weeks painting a unit to hate it

So...in a rush of rage I decided to use the ogres I have been working on...after 2 games...at a tournament which I was defending the title...so yeah!

So the list I took was:

Slaughtermaster on Heaven
Armour Of Destiny, Gut Sickle, Great Weapon, level 4

Bruiser
Crown of Command, Dragonhelm, heavy armour, Ironfist, luckstone, Battle Standard

Butcher - Lore of the Maw
Hellheart, great weapon

7 Ironguts
Full Command, Look out gnoblar, Standard Of Discipline

6 Ogres, Additional hand weapon

10 Gnoblars, Trappers

10 Gnoblars, trappers

6 Maneaters - Scout/Stubborn
bellower & standard bearer, Gleaming Pennant, 3x extra hand weapons, 3x Great Weapon

4 Mournfang
Bellower & Standard, Heavy armour, ironfist, dragonhide banner

Sabretusk

Sabretusk

Sabretusk

Ironblaster

Ironblaster

So I wont bore you with long winded reports, as if you wanna know you can listen to Ep32 of chumphammer coming this weekend

Game 1 was vs Orcs & Goblins
Game 2 was vs Daemons
Game 3 was vs Skaven
Game 4 was vs Tombkings
Game 5 was vs Woodelves

So I went 4 - 0 - 1 and came 3rd!

I beat the guy who won the event but sadly my last game, after 5 really hard turns, I lost the game on a do or die charge from him which worked. He charged my brusier/slaughtermaster and last irongut with sisters/characters in the front and glade riders in the flank. If I broke, he won. If I held, he would be rear charged my an ironblaster and the 7 bulls.

Fates decided I would fail the LD8 reroll and lost. Oh well!

Meant I am now in good standings for a place in the American masters! which will be hilarious as I would take my High Elves I think

anyway
Amendil wrote:I like your report style. You are really kicking some ass! Big games with big armies! You should a picture now and then of your opponents odd armies or huge model count. Thank you and keep at it!

So caradryan recommended?
Yeah I loved him with the white lions. He was a beast!

The list I was going to run for HE was:

Archmage - Lore of Heavens
Forbidden Rod

Loremaster of hoeth
Book of hoeth, Talisman of Preservation

Noble
Bsb, Reaver bow, potion of strength, heavy armour, Enchanted shield, lion cloak

Caradryan

18 Archers with Full Command

23 White lions with Full command and BOTWD

Frostheart

Frostheart

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

Re: Tales of Wamphyri101 Chrace Elves - Updates after Wetcoa

#185 Post by Ferny »

Is Caradryan basically in for the flaming (given MR doesn't matter with BotWD, fear is so-so etc)? If so, do you prefer this flaming option in your lions (keeping a character safe on row behind?) to flaming dragon princes, and if so why? Or have I mis-read him completely?
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
wamphyri101

#186 Post by wamphyri101 »

Hey Ferny

The idea behind Caradryan is mainly for his flaming attacks. The fact he has ASF still with the halberd means he can hit 1st at S5 D3W (maybe S6 with loremaster) and strip regen off stuff so the white lions can go smash.

The other bonus is the fact I can also move him into a normal unit with the loremaster and both benefit from his magic res

Just gives me more options

Finally, the whole unit are not stuck with flaming attacks so you do now get caught out vs dragonbane gems/helms

I just do not like Dragon Princes atm. They are a liability after the charge and need a lot of baby sitting/characters to make them worth while. Wood elves are also hot in our area (4-5 last event) and they can rip through dragon princes as each is taking 2 x 7-9 waywatchers. At least white lions have more bodies plus the loremasters regen most of the time (as they wanna stop the magic missiles)
Malossar
Something Cool

#187 Post by Malossar »

Hey wamphyri can you talk a little about your decision to run the lvl 4 and the loremaster? Particularly the lvl 4 with heavens?
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
wamphyri101

#188 Post by wamphyri101 »

Malossar Dragonborne wrote:Hey wamphyri can you talk a little about your decision to run the lvl 4 and the loremaster? Particularly the lvl 4 with heavens?
Hey Bud,

I started running a lvl4/loremaster for wetcoast last year. I won the tournament but I found that in some games the lvl 4 didnt do anything and the loremaster did (I ran shadow)

I also found its a lot of points in lords for both tooled up

I did think of a lvl 2, but only 2 spells is a bit lame (I miss the silver wand!)

So i tried a few different lores

didn't want to use life as I "dont wanna be that guy"

Same with death. Some games it was bent, others didnt do anything worthwhile

I also looked at trimming the points

This is when I started using the lvl 3 rather than 4. Limiting its costs means more points else where and not having to keep it alive at all costs.

So I tried just the lvl3 with forbidden rod. This way I can throw him out of the unit once the item is popped and he can avoid combat. Sometimes using shadow step with him & Caradryan is funny

I also tried heavens as it combo's well with my army

Curse of the midnight wind works well with BT/Frosthearts

Harmonic bubble for shooting & combat

Double iceshard vs warmachines/that big combat block you do not want hitting the white lions

Double iceshard also for -2 LD for frostheart charge/Horded units (Oh...your steadfast...on a 6 now...bye bye)

Comet for units sitting back (dwarfs/empire)

Urnons/chain for armour

Plus the casting values are pretty low.
wamphyri101

Re: Tales of Wamphyri101 Chrace Elves - *cough* using ogres

#189 Post by wamphyri101 »

So came 3rd overall and means I'm now eligible for the US masters (2nd on region by like 8pts and 100 clear of 3rd /4th

So better start working on some lists

About to test
Double LM
Bsb
Caradryan
3x18 archers
25 WL
3 RBT
2 GE
1 frost heart

Sorry for short hand. They blocked ulthuan on my work comp lol
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#190 Post by Curu Olannon »

I think you will struggle pushing with that list. If someone decides to sit back and block you, there`s not much you can do about it. See discussion under "HE Lists at ETC" for example.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#191 Post by SpellArcher »

Wamphyri, have they fixed the comp for the US Masters yet? What did you make of the HE army that won last time?

Your all-archer Core with eagle redirectors is like an old book set-up, compared to the Helms and Reavers we see a lot of now. Do you feel it's just stronger, is it for the US meta, or is it just the way you like to roll?
wamphyri101

#192 Post by wamphyri101 »

Cuu: double LM just to try. A lot of combos on offer and can be more versatile than LM&AM

I just don't look at ETC lists for ideas

The ETc is very different to tournament play

1: comp, army set up and rules are totally different and restrictive
2: your match ups are not just random but often stacked in your favour
3: 20-0 is very different to w-l-d

Spell Archer:

List idea more down to what I'm seeing on my scene here. Lots of wood elves & high elves have popped up recently and two wood elves top 5 our last big event.

I also don't rate silver helms personally (or any of our heavy cav)

Archers units always do me well and 18 can be a pest to shift

With the right buffs they can pack a punch to

Eagles to replace lack of reavers

I canne aggressive or defensive with the list and my characters are all not in 1 unit so avoids a lot of Death Star downfalls
wamphyri101

#193 Post by wamphyri101 »

As for comp, US masters comp isn't out yet

I didn't like the list that won last year but can't knock the fact he won with it
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#194 Post by Curu Olannon »

wamphyri101 wrote:I just don't look at ETC lists for ideas
You are missing out then, because a lot of those lists are perfectly viable in a single-player environment. Anyways, I didn`t ask you to look at them but rather the discussion in that thread. I assume you haven`t done so given your reply, so I`ll give you the TL;DR here - Loremaster infantry builds are suited for blocking play, not running-across-the-table-getting-points play. I find it ironic that you don`t look at the ETC lists for inspiration yet you present a list that is by nature a well suited list for an ETC-type tournament, as opposed to the more aggressive builds (several of which were played at the ETC this year, e.g. Furion`s Flamespyre, Norway`s Star Dragon, Greece`s Deathtrain etc) that can work in a singles environment.

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#195 Post by SpellArcher »

I feel the USM comp could make a big difference. Didn't they use Swedish last year? I liked the winning list. Not my style but some good ideas behind it.

Playing WE's, both my recent HE opponents brought Archers and I wasn't pleased to see them. I don't think you'd have access to shooting buffs with the Loremasters though.

Might it not be difficult to attack with just the Lions and the Phoenix?
bloody nunchucks

#196 Post by bloody nunchucks »

Curu,

Where do you find the results to these tournaments you speak of? I would assume those sites also have the HE lists there which I would love to look at.

Thanks.
I used to play:
High Elves
Tau
Retribution of Scyrah
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#197 Post by Curu Olannon »

Mostly Scandinavian ones + Furion`s blog from last year. No results related to lists up, but this year`s Norwegian Star Dragon has several strong placings and the Swedish etc list is a variation of Furion`s list. I don`t know if any ETC lists took double bus this year, but such a list placed 2nd in Swedish Masters this year (SD placed 7th but was disqualified for giving up games, i.e. he had a game which he offered the opponent a 15-5 victory without playing at all. Still placing 7th then is strong. He also won another tournament and was top 5 or so Indian Summer).

The TL;DR version is that many of the offensive HE lists at this year`s ETC are perfectly viable in a singles setting. I have yet to see the Deathtrain perform well in singles though, but to be fair I have yet to see anyone bring it in the first place :D

wamphyri101

#198 Post by wamphyri101 »

Finally got access at work again (90% of my time with forums)

To previous comments:

Curu: The main reasons I don't look at the ETC section is:

1: Egos. Some people in there have a massive ego and annoy the F into me.
2: ETC hammer isnt warhammer. The LOS rules make a massive difference to builds. I would easily use monsters more if ETC los was in play all the time.
3: We play no comp here, like warhammer should be played ;). Saying that though I have made it into the US masters for 2015 so will have to start looking at Swedish comp lists (God I hate it, its like removing all the fun from an army)

My list may have looked like a blocker, but I play that style very well. Using the army to whittle points then striking at game changing points means I usually win by 700+

Spellarcher:

Yup if it is Swedish comp then its a whole different game. Luckily one of the other US master qualifiers are from my games club/podcast so we can get lots of practice in now. My 1st shot at a Swedish list (11.8) got tabled by his 13.4 Wood Elves because nothing worked well. I looked over the previous winners list and I still not a big fan.

So on that I have two lists I have been looking at. The 1st is a none comp list I think would be really amusing to play. The second is my 2nd draft at a Swedish comp list

Archmage General - High Magic
LvL 4, Talisman of Endurance, Khaines Ring, Other tricksters shard, powerstone, moondragon, ironcurseicon

Lords: 615

Noble, bsb, shield, Banner of the world dragon, Great Eagle, heavy armour, lion cloak

Caradryan on Asthai

Heroes: 625

5 Ellyrian Reavers, musician/banner, bows
12 Archers, Musician/banner

Core: 650

Great Eagle w shredding talons and swiftsense
Great Eagle w shredding talons and swiftsense
Frostheart Phoenix
Frostheart Phoenix

Rare: 610

Changes I am thinking of is actually having a Lothen BSB on skycutter to abuse the 4++ vs shooting. Still give him BOTWD as I can then throw him into DP (or anything nails with magic attacks) to hold them up.

The Swedish list is (works as a 10)

Loremaster of Hoeth - General -42
Talisman of Preservation, book of hoeth

Archmage -18 Lore of Heavens
Talisman of Endurance

Lords: 545

Caradryan -10

Noble BsB -14
Dragon Armour, Obsidian lodestone, Enchanted Shield

Heroes: 325

18 Archers , Full Command

Core: 630 -51

15 White Lions of Chrace, Full Command, banner of discipline -14

15 Phoenix Guard, Full command, Razor Banner -8

Special: 540

Great Eagle -5
Great Eagle -8
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower -7
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower -9
Flamespyre Phoenix -14

Rare: 455

My friend is trying to convince me on the flamespyre so I said I would give it a try.

Not convinced on the: lvl3, 2 smaller units of combat & BSB. Thinking larger unit of PG would be better. Deffinatly want to try and keep Caradryan in as for a -10 he gives me a lot of combat assistance plus his flaming attacks VS Aboms/Trolls/Chimera might be great.
Last edited by wamphyri101 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Tales of Wamphyri101 Chrace Elves - Elves Reborn

#199 Post by SpellArcher »

I've played a Dragon/ 3 Phoenix list with my mixed WE list and after chucking my lvl 4 away it was all over.

I'd agree on going for the bigger PG unit, 15's just don't look solid enough.
wamphyri101

#200 Post by wamphyri101 »

Second draft of my Swedish list is:
The Swedish list is (works as a 11)

Loremaster of Hoeth - General
Talisman of Preservation, book of hoeth

Lords: 330 - 42

Caradryan

Noble BsB
Armour of calador and GW
Mage lvl 2 lore of light, channeling staff and dragon bane gem
Mage lvl 2 High Powerstone
Heroes: 599 - 36

5 Ellyrian reavers with Musician and bow
5 Ellyrian reavers with Musician and bow

Core: 630 - 23

24 Phoenix Guard, Full command, Razor Banner

Special: 435 - 23

Great Eagle
2 Great Eagle unit
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Flamespyre Phoenix

Rare: 455 - 43

I am also a tool as I just noticed my archmage has 3 enchanted items! doh!
Better relook tonight
Axiem
Rhetor militaris

#201 Post by Axiem »

Looks interesting, very different to the route I'm taking. This is for Ham Slamwich correct? I've very excited to see the elves, so no flaking on me and bringing Ogres this time!

If I'm not mistaken, you're missing some of the penalties being calculated:

> Heroes should be 44: 10 from Caradyran, 14 for BSB, 8 for each Mage, 4 for Powerstone
> Core should be 24 (4+6 for Reavers + 7 + 7 for Archers)
> Rare should also be 40 by my count, not 43.
> Don't forget another -3 for High Magic in Army with Phoenix Guard (under Phoenix Guard).

Should be a total of 12.4 as it stands, if I've done my math correctly.

Why the combination of High + Light? Seems to me like both of those lores require a bit of dedication, otherwise you're going to end up missing some key spells in certain match ups. Heavens might also be good here instead. Light especially I think could be replaced by Beasts here for a lot more effect, if you were keeping the High Magic.

Where are all the characters going? I'd guess all in Phoenix Guard, but since you posted above you wanted to avoid Deathstaring, I'm not so sure. If they aren't all going in the Phoenix Guard, I wonder as to the prudence of putting the BSB in harms way - maybe consider going Reaver Bow + Potion of Strength instead, or even Banner of Eternal Flame for the Archers.

Thoughts?

Axiem
wamphyri101

#202 Post by wamphyri101 »

Axiem wrote:Looks interesting, very different to the route I'm taking. This is for Ham Slamwich correct? I've very excited to see the elves, so no flaking on me and bringing Ogres this time!

If I'm not mistaken, you're missing some of the penalties being calculated:

> Heroes should be 44: 10 from Caradyran, 14 for BSB, 8 for each Mage, 4 for Powerstone
> Don't forget another -3 for High Magic in Army with Phoenix Guard (under Phoenix Guard).

Should be a total of 12.4 as it stands, if I've done my math correctly.

Why the combination of High + Light? Seems to me like both of those lores require a bit of dedication, otherwise you're going to end up missing some key spells in certain match ups. Heavens might also be good here instead. Light especially I think could be replaced by Beasts here for a lot more effect, if you were keeping the High Magic.

Where are all the characters going? I'd guess all in Phoenix Guard, but since you posted above you wanted to avoid Deathstaring, I'm not so sure. If they aren't all going in the Phoenix Guard, I wonder as to the prudence of putting the BSB in harms way - maybe consider going Reaver Bow + Potion of Strength instead, or even Banner of Eternal Flame for the Archers.

Thoughts?

Axiem

Hey Axiem:

1: I am aiming to come to Ham Slamwich. Its more in thought of getting Swedish comp for Masters though

And yes, I would be using my high elves, as they are better painted plus the board is even more awesome now the moat and bridge have been added

Yup totally missed adding the lvl2

But then I have bow tax for being over 40 shots (18 each unit, reavers and bolt throwers being 8 each)

Missed that one also.

I am gonna regig it a bit anyway

2: Why the combination of High + Light? Seems to me like both of those lores require a bit of dedication, otherwise you're going to end up missing some key spells in certain match ups. Heavens might also be good here instead. Light especially I think could be replaced by Beasts here for a lot more effect, if you were keeping the High Magic.

So my idea was to give the PG the ward save and then have the chance of a S5 banishment with the loremaster. Also, without BOTWD I need the extra oompf vs DOC so having 2 shems could really help vs Beasts of nurgle or Plaguedrones.

3: Where are all the characters going? I'd guess all in Phoenix Guard, but since you posted above you wanted to avoid Deathstaring, I'm not so sure. If they aren't all going in the Phoenix Guard, I wonder as to the prudence of putting the BSB in harms way - maybe consider going Reaver Bow + Potion of Strength instead, or even Banner of Eternal Flame for the Archers.

Thoughts?

Axiem

The idea was BSB & High mage in PG, 1 mage in 1 archer unit and loremaster & Caradryan in the other (I could always use lore of shadow to jump characters around as people always forget shadow step)

Since Caradryan has Magic res 1 it would give him and the loremaster a 3++ vs magic.

As for the BSB set up, I've had really bad luck using the bow & POS (I mean real shitty. Using it and failing to wound a steam tank for its last would, using it to shoot a chariot on 2 wounds and rolling 3 x 1's to hit) so I get to the point I gave up on it.

This way he still gets a 2+ and with the high mage a boost to his 6+ ward on the armour.
wamphyri101

#203 Post by wamphyri101 »

Last night I played against wood elves

It was fun, as it went all 6 turns with pretty much his turn 6 deciding the game.

He had:

Level 4 Spellweaver (shadowmagic), with earthing rod, talisman of preservation, elven steed

Spells: Mindrazor, Miasma, withering, pendulum

Glade Captain BSB with Hailof Doom Arrow, Obsidian Trinket, elven steed

Spellsinger level 1 (death)with dispel scroll

spell: spirit leach

10 Glade Riders with Hagbanetips and musician and standard

10 Glade Riders with Hagbanetips and musician and standard

10 Glade Guard with musician,Trueflight arrows

7 Deepwood Scouts withhagbane tips

7 Deepwood Scouts withhagbane tips

7 Wild Riders with shieldsand standard

7 Wild Riders with shieldsand standard

6 Sisters of the Thorn withstandard and musician, standard of discipline

9 Waywatchers

9 Waywatchers

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

Total 2497 pts

I ran:

LvL 4, Talisman of Protection, Khaines Ring, Book of hoeth, moondragon

Spells: Arcane unforging, soul quench, drain magic, apotheosis

Noble, bsb, shield, Banner of the world dragon, Great Eagle, heavy armour, lion cloak

Caradryan on Asthai

Heroes: 625

18 Archers, Full Command
18 Archers, Full Command

Core: 630

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Frostheart Phoenix
Frostheart Phoenix

Rare: 620

He won turn 1.

Game highlights saw:

Wildriders chage caradryan and get mindrazor. Caradryan dies but Ashtari kills 4 (plus 2 for Caradryan) which means 1 guy left who flees, caught by Ashtari and now in a fantastic position to charge the sisters with bsb & lord. He charges, wiffs in combat and gets run down *facepalm*

multiple low magic phases. The one phase i roll 11 I fail to cast my 1st spell (even with reroll) on 3 dice.

turn 4 I become a level 1 mage with drain magic *facepalm*

4 reavers charge the flank of the sisterstar, 2 die from dangerous terrain *facepalm* but connect, killing the BSB and only lose 1 guy back, meaning they are stuck there to give me time to get my archers and frostheart into charge range

My confusing him by pulling my remaining frostheart (2W left) back to my archmage, who then heals him for 3 wounds

1 unit of my archers failed reroll ld9 to reform, then got withered, lost 5 guys to shooting, fled (9 reroll) and failed to fallu

The game ended start of my turn 6 as all he had left was 2 glade riders and 3 scounts.

I had:

Archmage and dragon (5W left)
Bsb on eagle
Frostheart (4W left)
12 Archers

So yeah, first game went well. I just had too much for him to deal with (with archers and bolthrowers taking his shooting) so I plan on more games soon
Malossar
Something Cool

#204 Post by Malossar »

How did his wild riders charge on turn1? Were you playing meeting engagement?
wamphyri101

#205 Post by wamphyri101 »

Didn't say he charged turn 1, just he got turn 1
He charged turn 2
Malossar
Something Cool

#206 Post by Malossar »

Ah! My mistake hah.
wamphyri101

#207 Post by wamphyri101 »

Np bud
Think the main thing about the game is it was fun both way. Just shame you can't thunderstomp Cav!
wamphyri101

#208 Post by wamphyri101 »

So game two with the list. I made a tweek as I just found the reavers can die to easily and that though I like the BSB on eagle, he is a little too open

So went with:
LvL 4, Golden crown, Khaines Ring, Book of hoeth, moondragon

Spells: Arcane unforging, soul quench, fiery convocation, Hand of glory

Noble, bsb, shield, Banner of the world dragon, Barden steed, lance, dragon armour
Caradryan on Asthai
14 Archers, Banner/Musician
14 Archers, banner/Musician
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Frostheart Phoenix
Frostheart Phoenix

He was using lizardmen with
Oldblood on coldone
Slann with 3 channels on 5+ and all high spells & bsb
lvl 2 skink on beasts
chef with egg of Quango
block of temple guard
block of saurus
cammo skinks
4 odd units of skinks
2 salamanders
bastilidon
Ancient steg

So the game ended turn 4 as he only had 1 unit of skinks left and I had only lost Caradryan (but not Ashtray) 7 archers, 3 silverhelms

I basically flanked his army with the flyers while the achmage killed skinks & shooting took salamanders

I Few Caradryan into the old blood who passed 3 wardsaves and then killed him in return (passing 2 final breath wounds two)

What his mistake was, was charging a unit into Ashtrays flank. This meant I could not attack & thunderstomp that unit for combat res. His old blood fluffed to hurt me and I managed to only lose combat by 1 and held as Bsb was next door after charging and killing the bastilidon.

This meant the next turn I charged my lord into the units rear and a frostheart into the other flank. I then rolled tripple 6 for thunderstomps.....

So the unit vanished. Slaan & oldblood fled and were run down.

Meanwhile I had mopped up his other units with shooting, frostheart 2 had killed the ancient steg and now joint in the combat which involved my silverhelms & bsb vs his warriors & 1 vet, with the over running units now all 5 inches away from the combat.

I enjoyed the list again and things went better with the silverhelms. Only thing I am not sure on is the Archmage lore

I am thinking of trying out Beasts
Cealyne

#209 Post by Cealyne »

Hello there!
I'm not seeing the use for the bsb here with the banner of world dragon? He has no real place to go except the archers. If u put him with the reavers he's such an easy target.
Why do u feel u need the banner? I know. HAve a dragon but this set up the dragon shouldn't be in combat til late game to allow maximum spell damage through out the game. With the other 3 monsters that want in combat ASAP I would suggest dropping the banner and putting him back in an eagle kited for combat.

Eagle noble: dragon armor, star lance, charmed shield, opal amulet
Or
Eagle noble: dragon armor, sword of might, enchanted shield, dawnstone
Or
Eagle noble: dragon armor, ogre blade, enchanted shield, luck stone
If course keeping him the bsb. IMHO
Good luck either way sir!
"So do all who see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time we are given!"
wamphyri101

#210 Post by wamphyri101 »

The main reason for having him in the silverhelms is to keep him alive, but the main reason for having him is to take one the the toughest thing in the opponents army with magical attacks.

If he can hold up a daemons prince/skullcrusherblock/DOC unit for long enough it means the other elements of the army have an easier time eliminating the threats and can then pull back and help the BSB