Vengeance Rising

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Jimmy
Centurion

Re: The Journey Continues..Battle 149 - 17/01/15

#1051 Post by Jimmy »

150. Ogre Kingdoms vs. Empire
========================

I managed to get a game in last night against my regular sparring partner Todd. I wasn't sure it was going to happen as he'd just returned from a mega 8 game tournament a few days ago but he was keen to throw some dice around and have a good chat whilst it was happening. As Todd was reading out his Empire list I quickly began to feel overwhelmed with the amount of toys he had in his list. My list remained the same to what I had run in a few previous games and I was very intrigued to see how it would match up against the Empire.

Overview
--------
Date played: Friday, 30 January 2015

Ogre Kingdoms
-------------
(T1) Tyrant
- Heavy Armour, Great Weapon, Trickster's Helm, Talisman of Preservation
(T2) Tyrant
- Great Weapon, Glittering Scales, Talisman of Endurance
(B) Bruiser
- BSB, Heavy Armour, Great Weapon, Talisman of Preservation, Ironcurse Icon
(F) Firebelly
- Dispel Scroll, Lore of Fire (Fireball)
(O1) 7 Ogres
- Full Command, Ironfists
(O2) 4 Ogres
- Ironfists, Musician, Standard
(O3) 3 Ogres
- Extra Hand Weapons, Musician
(O4) 3 Ogres
(S1) Sabretusk
(S2) Sabretusk
(MC1) 2 Mournfang Cavalry
- Ironfist, Heavy Armour, Musician
(MC2) 2 Mournfang Cavalry
(MC3) 2 Mournfang Cavalry
(I) Ironblaster
(L) 4 Leadbelchers
- Musician

Empire
------
(EC1) Elector Count
- Griffon, Bloodroar, Two Heads, Runefang, Charmed Shield, Potion of Foolhardiness, Luckstone
(C) Captain
- BSB, Warhorse, Barding, Great Weapon, 1+ save, Banner of Swiftness
(WP) Warrior Priest
- Warhorse, Barding, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Dragonhelm, Dawnstone
(W1) Wizard
- Level 2, Scroll of Shielding, Lore of Beasts (Amber Spear, Wildform)
(W2) Wizard
- Level 2, Dispel Scroll, Lore of Life (Earthblood, Flesh to Stone)
(W3) Wizard
- Level 1, Chanelling Staff, Lore of Metal (Searing Doom)
(K1) 5 Knights
- Standard, Musician
(K2) 5 Knights
- Standard, Musician
(ICK) 8 Inner Circle Knights
- Full Command, Steel Standard
(S) 17 Spearmen
- Full Command
(DK) 4 Demigryph Knights
- Standard, Musician
(GC) Great Cannon
(L1) Luminark
(ST) Steam Tank

The Empire list as mentioned had a few tricks available.

Elector Count - With the Runefang this guy was going to chop whatever he touched. Being a flyer as well it was going to be tough to set traps for him as he could ideally zoom around looking for my weak areas to exploit and make his move that way. He'd be advancing under fire from the cannon and steam tank and of course there would be other heavy armoured elements I'd be concerned about as well. I'd be looking to the Ironblaster and a well timed Fireball to take care of the Charmed Shield before getting the killing blow. If it came to combat my best bet would be to charge him with my big block, get some impact hits, kill the griffon and break the Elector Count via combat resolution and run him down.

Knight Bus - Including the Warrior Priest and BSB the bus could effectively chomp any of my units probably except the Ogre block on the charge. I'm sure Todd wouldn't be looking to send it in on it's own so I'd have to be wary of any double teaming action from the Bus and any nearby friends. Also I'd suspect the Wizard Bunker would be nearby trying to buff the unit up to make it even more difficult to deal with.

Knights - I treated the Knights like my small units of Ogres although his were far more hitty and well armoured. Single wounds however is what would make the difference. Hoping my Leadbelchers would thin the unit down before they didn't anything of worth otherwise the Ogres/MFC would need to charge and get rid of them.

Spearmen - I didn't imagine the infantry block would be seeing combat at all, it would sit back close enough to make a difference with the wizards spell selections and the characters of course would jump out at the last minute if combat was imminent or sit in a building somewhere and play hard to get.

If I managed to get a charge off I would need to be at least packing a unit of Ogres with characters and MFC to make a sizable dent and try my luck at breaking them, anything other than that and steadfast would ensure they were sticking around.

Demigryph Knights - If these were left unchecked they would put a sizable hole in any of my plans, they could effectively solo charge most of my units and carve them up. I'd be looking for Sabretusks here and units of small Ogres to do some dancing around them to begin with before looking or a sensational flank shot from an Ironblaster or a solo charge from the heavy lifters.

Cannon/Stank - I had to eliminate one of these early on and I didn't like my chances with the Steam Tank. Todd pointed out I only had to chip 4-5 wounds off it to really put it at a disadvantage so perhaps I'd be looking for this turn 3+. I was hoping to use the terrain provided to hide the Ironblaster from the Cannon before either taking a shot at it, throwing a powered up fireball of some description or getting something close enough to eliminate it which I wouldn't imagine would be until late game. Hopefully it wouldn't take that long.

Luminark - The main concern for me was the bound spell bolt thrower, it is cast so cheap it's just frustrating. Hopefully I could catch this so it would stop pumping out the ward saves on nearby units because a few 6+ ward saves could swing a combat in Todd's favour and that would simply stack the frustration for me.

Deployment
----------

Todd won the roll off and begun with the Knights on the right flank, I placed down the obligartory Sabretusks in positions where I would anticipate that my combat 'blocks' would be in the vicinity of to provide some support and the annoyance factor. Next my units of Ogre darts went into place and I was just buying my time to see where he would place his infantry. I had the option of placing a unit of MFC onto the right flank to zoom up and hopefully make a mess of the cannon quick smart. What eventually prevented me from doing this is the elector count and the fact that it would take a dedicated magic phase of searing doom, amber spear and the cannon to remove said MFC unit pretty quickly. I was lucky enough to get cover from the buildings to prevent the Ironblaster from being sniped turn 1, that was something I was happy with at least! Box cars are rolled for first turn but Todd has the +1.

Turn 1 - Empire
---------------

The Empire opening turn is pretty quiet, the Elector Count zooms up pretty close and although the map might not illustrate the fact perfectly I could infact double 'solo' charge each of the Tyrants out of their respective units into the Elector Count. Todd knew this and was quick deter me from this during the magic phase. In a 9 vs 7 phase I let Flesh to Stone go through onto the Elector Count and decide not to worry about him for now. Wildform fails to cast onto the Knights and I stick enough dice to the Laser to stop that from powering up. The Cannon moves to get LOS to more juicy Ogre bits so I have a turn of no exploding Ogre bits which is nice and something I'm not use too.

Turn 1 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

This opening turn took me a good 15 minutes to complete. I had to find a way to box the Elector Count in an at least anticipate where he was going to land and cause some havoc. Of course the priority target for the Empire was my Ironblaster so natrually I'd be after that as well. I pushed the Ogres back to create some distance so he couldn't quite land behind them and reformed the MFC on the left flank and pulled them a little closer allowing them to charge whatever landed in the backzone. The Ogres (O3) marched up the flank to get out of the Knights charge arc and either get into the building next turn for some slingshot action or a swift reform into a better position. O4 was going to take the fateless duty of distracting the Steam Tank
whilst MF1 laid in wait for something to charge and MF3 continued to gain some cover from the building. I wasn't expecting much from the magic phase and aimed a 6D6 fireball in the direction of the cannon however it was simply stopped. The Ironblaster aimed for the Steam Tank to chip some wounds off but a bit of wet gunpowder didn't give it the force required an instead a maimed Knight collapsed to the ground. Not the opening turn I was hoping for.

Turn 2 - Empire
---------------

As the armoured components of the Empire move through the forest it's discovered it's a Venom Thicket and the Warrior Priest takes a wound as does a Demigrpyh Knight. Sad that terrain did more wounds than I in my last turn! (if I could just keep Todd in the forest all game I'd win! :D ) This time Todd pushed the Demigryph Knights up to get some attention making them a juicy target. Magic was 6 vs 4 and right away Todd went to back his forces with Flesh to Stone which I dispelled. Wildform was then attempted but in order to make the dent I needed after a bit of thought I burned my scroll to prevent this. It was going to be up to the Ogre forces to ensure it wasn't for nothing. Can't remember exactly what the Great Cannon took a snipe at as I'm sure it was the Ogres (O4) however more wet gunpowder prevents it from bouncing far enough.

Turn 2 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Once again lots of thought here before I did anything. I think this turn took me nearly 40 minutes! With the Demigryph Knights not protected by magic they'd be easy pickings for a dual charge but I would think Todd was going to flee with them to save the unit which would allow me to hopefully re-direct into the Knight Bus and shut it down.

Charges go something like this:

Mournfang (MC1) charge into the Demi Knights who hold but flee to the Ogre block (O1) coming their way. The MC1 re-direct into the Knights (K2) whilst the Ogre block (O1) re-directs into the Knight block with the backup of Mournfang who take 2 wounds through the Venom Thicket (MC3). They were long charges but I beleive Todd slightly overstepped a bit to far.

Ogres (O2) into Knights (K1) who flee allowing O3 to charge and they flee again through the Knights and into the Venom Thicket taking 3 casualties.

Mournfang (MC2) fail they relatively easy charge into the Elector Count.

With the Elector Count now in prime position I couldn't let him into combat at full strength. The Leadbelchers swift reform and get into short range whilst the Ironblaster can only get a grapeshot off.

Magic is shut down again so I move to the shooting phase and although the Leadbelchers remove the charmed shield and put 3 wounds onto the Griffon I'm left furious as the Ironblaster misfires and the barrel cracks. Brilliant. The one answer I had to the Steam Tank just took a dive.

In combats the MC2 drop 2 knights via impact hits and kill the rest reforming to face the centre and remain out of sight from a pesky Steam Tank. The larger combat sees 2 Knights drop from impact hits even though I rolled a 10 for distance. The BSB challenges and it is answered by the Knight Champion who is cut down. The Ogre Crusher takes 2 wounds whilst the Mournfang drop the Warrior Priest. The Tyrant swings his great weapon and leaves 4 bodies in the ground and only the Empire Captain remains who is cut down on the spot. The Mournfang over run and destroy the remaining Knights (K1) whilst the Ogres rush 6" forward. With the collapse of the Inner Circle Knights the Luminark flees and takes the Spearmen with it.

Turn 3 - Empire
---------------

The Elector Count seeking revenge charges into the Ironblaster however I'm not just going to give it away and it flees a massive 12" taking it out of danger. The re-direction into the Leadbelcher doesn't go as well and 3" doesn't get me far and they're cut down. The Luminark flees off the table however the Spearmen rally. Magic phase is a 4 vs 3 and Earthblood goes up onto the Spearmen healing a wound on the Demigryphs. Flesh to Stone onto the Spearmen is cast and I fail to dispel. The cannon targets the Ogre block however the Ironcurse Icon prevents a scratch. 5 points well spent.

Turn 3 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Mournfang charge into the cannon after taking a casualty from the Venom Thicket but this doesn't prevent the angry beast from hitting home. The Ogres and Mournfang (MC1) charge into the Demigryphs. The Ironblaster continues to flee right into the pecking order of the Steam Tank, not like it was going to shoot anything anyway! I start to move everything away from the Elector Count and Stank however the Firebelly abandons ship and chases down the Elector Count, if I was going to miscast I wanted to ensure I was doing as much damage to him with it.

In combat the Bruiser takes a single wound after a lot of attacks are allocated to him and the Ogre Crusher is finally killed off. With their superior armour the Demigryphs only take 3 wounds however it's enough to destroy their nerve and they flee from the battlefield with the Mournfang in close pursuit. The Ogres reform. The Cannon is splintered apart as the last crew member heads for the hills and the display is enough to break the nerve of the nearby Spearmen who flee in panic.

Turn 4 - Empire
---------------

The Steam Tank powers up and crumples the Ironblaster however the Spearmen are unable to hold their nerve in check and continue to flee 3" towards the table edge. The Elector Count zooms up to get into another annoyance position.

Turn 4 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Mournfang charge the Spearmen and they need to roll a 7 to get off the battlefield and naturally a 6 comes up and I fail the charge! Insert Ogre profanities right here.

Another long turn as I think out a multitude of possibilites about the Elector Count, what he will charge and what potential damage he can cause.

Ideally I want him to charge the Ogre star if anything, with the amount of attacks I have I can possibly take out the Griffon and absorb some of the Runefang with ward saves. It's a big ask however. I bring up lots of units to support but I fear he'll just take the easy points and charge the Mournfang MC1 in which case I'd just flee leaving him out in the open but open to fleeing himself when I charge.

There is one event I never planned for and it happens in the magic phase. I aim for a big fireball at the Elector Count and it goes IF netting me 13 hits. The elector count is unharmed however his noble griffon is now a crispy remnant and now the enemy general was on foot and this would allow him to escape. Still a better position than facing down a Griffon. The Firebelly cops a cascade but climbs out of the extra dimension and takes a wound instead.

Turn 5 - Empire
---------------

The Spearmen rally and the Stank peppers along 5". Magic is 9 vs 4 and Wildform, Earthblood and Flesh to Stone all turn the Spearmen into a rock hard unit, I throw all my dice at dispelling Amber Spear tageting the Sabretusk to try and cause a panic test. Cannon fires at the Firebelly however once again poor gunpowder and it fails to collect the Firebelly.

Turn 5 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Time to set another trap for the Spearmen. The Ogres jump into the building so if he charges that and loses he'll be left to charges from the Mournfang, if he charges and wins then the Tyrant led Ogres nearby should be able to at least cause some damage and a break test. Which ever way he faced he should be setup for a solo charge from the Tyrant and a Mournfang unit/s. The Elector Count was tricky however and I missed an opportunity.

The Mournfang went in snug to entice a charge and pull him out into the open where the Ogres would clean up. However it never entered my head for a moment that the Elector Count would flee, had I simply turned the Sabretusk around to face North it would have netted me many more VP's. Lesson learned for next time.

Magic sees another Fireball sneak through however the Scroll of Shielding prevents all but one wound from sneaking through.

Turn 6 - Empire
---------------

The Elector Count charges the Mournfang who flee 6" taking them away from danger. The Steam Tank crashes into the Ogres. Magic comes up box cars and I was dreading my ability to take out the Spearmen. I let Searing doom go that deletes the solo Mournfang however due to a miscast they lose a single dice. Earth blood goes up onto the Spearmen however Flesh to Stone fails to cast.

The Steam Tank crushes 2 ogres whilst the third bolts away in panic 11" but the Firebelly clearly amused with the situation goes observes.

Turn 6 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Mournfang charge into the rear of the Spearmen hoping for a failed break test. The Tyrant attempts to join the combat but 3" hardly gets him to break a sweat. Knowing my opponent will just flee I try to charge the Steam Tank however it's simply out of reach. Curses to the Sabretusk orientation. Fireball fails to cast in order to do something last minute to the Elector Count.

In combat I take no wounds and kill 8 Spearmen in return however their resolve holds.

Result - Ogre Kingdoms Victory

Conclusion:

It was one of those games where upon initial inspection of my opponents list I didn't have a clue how to proceed. I had rough ideas on what I had to avoid and what should attack what but that's about as far as it went. I beleieve Todd over extended his Inner Circle Knights by a few inches and that not only cost him that unit but essentially the game allowing me the break through into his lines that he would never recover from. It was a shame the 2IC Tyrant didn't do anything however I like to think by being parked in his smaller unit he participated in some area denial. I would have felt better about him had he made that last turn charge but not to worry.

I think overall the game started off with me being in the MSU mindset as opposed to other games where I feel like I need a turn or two to kick the brain into gear. Todd didn't let me have easy choices to make and hence the game lasted for 3 hours with me really sitting back and analysing over run angles and things like where the Stank and Elector Count 'could' end up. I think I covered the bases nicely.

I'm happy to eat my Ogre hat now in terms of saying level 1 firebellies are useless. Not so. :) I'll never forgive myself however for the Sabretusk orientation! Had he been simply switched 180 degrees then a charge from the Ogres would have put the Elector Count into flee mode and the Sabretusk would have likely ran him down at the speed of a thousand startled gazelles netting me the whole package deal rather than just the Griffon. Still I'd be a sour person indeed to complain about a victory.

Once again I'm not sure I used the small units of Ogres very well, they seem like dead weight almost purely getting in the way to delay units. I guess that's their design in the end but I feel sorry marching the fat boys to their doom every single game. On the bigger unit I'm fast liking it's potential. I think opponents always focus on the Ironblaster and forget they fact if they let this unit charge they end up eating at a minimum 2 x S7 and a single S6 impact hit with possibility for more.

I'm playing a worse case scenario in my head with the Inner Circle Knights. With the Demi's already fleeing had the Ogres failed their charge against them I'm trying to work out what would more than likely have taken place. If the Mournfang had gone in they possibly would have broken and been cut down allowing the Knights an overrun into the Ogres and a combined charge with the Elector Count which would have spelled doom for the unit I believe. Certainly the MC1 would have been back into combat the next turn had their been anything left. I'm confident the Ogre star would have been able to absorb the charge from the Inner Circle Knights and eventually take them out but not with a Runefang flinging Count as well. I'm only now just realising how close I came to losing this game and essentially it all came down to the Ogres charging in turn 2.

Well thank you very much for reading as per usual and I hope you found it entertaining and worth a comment. :)
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Nicene

#1052 Post by Nicene »

Thanks!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
RE.Lee

#1053 Post by RE.Lee »

Good job, another solid victory. I must admit I was rooting for the Empire a bit - the audacity of taking an Elector Count with a Runefang on a Griffon deserves some praise ;)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1054 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks a lot for a great report! I own you comments to the previous ones too but I decided I can do catching up in a different order :) It is also great to see Todd's army, I think he should have brought it to CanCon instead of boring Chaos Dwarves :P

I really like the way you run a short description of the units. Sometimes as individual regiments, sometimes as units with characters when you anticipated them fighting as one. It really helps to engrave what they can do in your mind for the future reference.

Both armies are well matched, with Empire doing their combined arms perfectly (and it is awesome to see the griffon too!) and Ogres having their own advantages as well. Yet again the fact you have MSU force is countered by a significant number of deployment drops of the imperial force too. The Ogres are fast though and 3 units of MC alone can be dangerous enough. There are some interesting changes out there so I am looking forward to the game development and I will comment as a I read.

Deployment

I really like your deployment, Jimmy, and it shows you took the lessons from the previous battles to the heart. You are flexible with the central positioning, you have strong flanks, all your units (maybe not MC1 judging by the diagram) are in range of BSB and both Tyrants also boos morale of their respective regiments. All units have clear line of sight to attack (especially cavalry and Ogres on the flank) making it more dangerous for the Empire to advance and Ogres on the right flank can also use the building if they wanted to.

Todd also opted for compact deployment and that has some merits too although I think I would have preferred his knights K2 on the flank. It is not a mistake to have them in the middle at all and they benefit from the BSB presence. Just a matter of taste :)

Turn 1

Todd opening moves are very interesting as he advances and already creates some dilemmas for you. His cavalry is not yet in the charge range to be attacked but by moving forward he makes sure you may be more careful in doing the same. I like the aggressive griffon placement too.

Just to comment on the double tyrant charge you were considering. If you did so Todd would challenge you and that means the attacks of one of your powerful characters are wasted. It immediately provides a significant disadvantage to you and I think that would not be a good idea for you.

Very interesting maneuvers on your part too. I applaud your forward planning and preventing the griffon from landing behind your lines. It is already quite dangerous to him because of potential grapeshot from the Ironblaster. But adding some counter charging abilities was a good idea for sure. I think it was a good decision because you kept strong formation, guarded your rear but kept the options for the attack open.

Just a question about fireball, I assume you meant 3d6 fireball? Or did you use 6 dice to cast it?

Turn 2

Todd seemed to be a little shy in his approach and was unlucky with that Venom Thicket. It was risky though, as forest removes steadfast so potential charges can be devastating. He also found a nice spot to land with the griffon but I think it was risky still due to Ironblaster. I was surprised with K2 positioning as they asked to be used as a redirector for the MC1.

Your turn 2 was simply put - amazeballs! Now you should be teaching stuff in MSU academy for sure! I am not surprised it took long to see all these possibilities though. It is one of the hardest things to master, deciding in which order units have to charge, who has to re-direct where etc.

I think Todd should have stayed with Demis for the sole purpose of inflicting casualties even if you could still attack his main block. On the other hand it was possible for you to charge against Demis and the Knights with two units separately, resolve the fight against Demis first and if broken (possible with Tyrant and MC3) O1 would have been overruning into the knights. Due to the positioning, however, O1 would be hitting the flank!

And while these were long charges (from the diagram it looked like 14"+ to me) it was good idea to charge anyway. You still had cats to jump in if something didn't go according to the plan.

At the same time MC3 looked like they had an enormous distance to cover?

The combats were deadly and it showed how powerful Tyrant can be. Sure, impact hits are important but with 1+ armor save not much can be done. In any case IC Knights were not match for your units and as a bonus you had Lumiark to flee. It really looked like you broke the backbone of the Empire army with that charge and as Todd's units were now scattered around without BSB to help he would have hard time to get some points back.

I of course understand that you were disappointed with the grapeshot as it would have been a perfect turn otherwise. Regardless of that it was a fantastic display of a well coordinated attack and you behaved like a true MSU veteran so give yourself a well deserved pat on the back for that! :)

Turn 3

Hm, it was unfortunate that Elector count managed to move away from the MC3. Did you flee with the Ironblaster to prevent panic checks? The following could have been used to try and pin the human general. Hold with the blaster, maybe inflict some damage too if lucky (at least on the griffon). If broken, then leadbelchers could catch Mr. Elector and hopefully that would have been enough for MC3 to counter to the flank.

On the other hand, the previous turn when you reformed with LB you could form a rank of 3 instead of moving in a square. Thus there is possibility to take the charge of the griffon and hopefully lose only 3 wounds to remain steadfast. If you can spare some points for a champ I would do it too. Then you can challenge and being steadfast is a guarantee.

Finishing the Demis was great thing and you simply carried on with the momentum. What you have here is the great potential of going for frontal charges. Something I don't have with HE often.

I wonder what you think about the following options I think can be useful too.

1. Charge with the right sabertusk against the spearmen. They have to hold as otherwise they would flee out of the battle field. Then you charge with MC3 as you did against the cannon but you make sure to wheel so that overrun gets you into the combat with the spearmen. You can now fight another combat the same turn. You may lose your cat but it is already balanced by the flank and charge. With flank attack and impact hits and sheer amount of attacks from the MC3 you should pin that unit down. And with O1 and O3 (who didn't move) closing towards them, poor spearmen would have nowhere to hide next even if they won against MC3 in the subsequent turn of combat.

2. Move left sabertusk in front of the s-tank and diverting it so that the overrun is not taking it into the combat with Ironblaster. It may only mean one turn of delay but it is still worth trying.

3. Reform MC2 to be able to charge griffon anyway. It was wounded already so putting some pressure on it was a good idea. The same with O2 and Tyrant. Or were you afraid of the runefang so much?

Turn 4

The situation looks bad for the Empire. No wonder spearmen try to flee even further!

Now that is some fireworks! Well done Firebelly! That makes Elector count much more manageable threat.

Turn 5

It is all about saving some points for Todd now. Now wonder he toughened up his last remaining unit. Good thinking with the units moving around and surrounding poor state troops.

Turn 6

Good to see Todd kept fighting and he definitely was getting some points back!

Why didn't you declare the charge against Elector anyway? If he fled you could re-direct against the tank. A pity both tyrants didn't roll high enough to get into a combat but hey, you did try!

Conclusions

What can I say? A fantastic game and well deserved victory! You played very, ver well, spotted the opportunities and went for a kill in the right moment. Sure, there are always things to do better or things to consider that could have been done differently. But you played very, very well on the principle and you definitely showed how devastating Ogres can be.

In terms of regular Ogres what about upgrading them to Ironguts? I know it makes them more expensive (and I mean only two small units) but maybe it will be a better choice as they can be dangerous if allowing to hit the flank?

Well done, Jimmy! Keep up the great work! :)

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
NexS

#1055 Post by NexS »

Oh man, Jimmy. You really smashed this one out! Great work
Regards,
Brad
------------------------------------------------------
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53518&start=0]Visit The Nexs-Files Conversion/Painting Log[/url]
CaledorRises

#1056 Post by CaledorRises »

Hello.

I just started reading your battlereports, and I enjoy them quite a bit. I have one question though. In your list, it mentions the Talisman of Preservation twice. Is this correct, or a simple typo? You cannot have two of the same magic item, unless there is an Ogre special rule I am unaware of.
Jimmy
Centurion

#1057 Post by Jimmy »

@CR - Typo, the Tyrant has the Armour of 4 up wardiness.

Battle 151! 8)

I had a game scheduled against my casual gaming friend Tim. Keep in mind I painted his army and gifted him with the FW Bloodthirster last year for his birthday fully painted so when I ask him for a game he probably feels somewhat obligated to carry the torch which totally works for me. :)

This will be a tough challenge for the MSU Ogres, with solid combat blocks, some speed on the Daemons side and much to my dismay shooting ability which trumps mine. On top of that a massive flying unit killer and then of course add in the reign of chaos table and you've got a non magic army that still can potentially kill my models in the magic phase, sounds fair right?

From the top:

Bloodthirster - The invite to my friend went something like this: "Are you keen to come over and kill some Ogres with that Bloodthirster model?" and that was enough. He was sold. The key for me to slot this chum is to ensure he doesn't get into combat at full strength. If I can chip a few wounds off him before he hits my lines it will make my job so much easier but also ensure he has to be more careful in terms of picking what units to engage. Tim in the past has been hesistant to pull the trigger with the Bloodthirster often jumping in either too early or too late. For me hopefully I can get the charge which is a huge ask considering it's against a flyer but I'm confident it can be done. With some well timed S7 impact hits and a Tyrant going choppy choppy (perhaps even solo if he's sporting the Axe of Khorne...) I may be able to take the Greater Daemon of Khorne out. That's the best case scenario. Worst case is he get's out of some thin layered containment I've created for him and zooms around decimating a unit every turn.

Heralds - On their own they're not that big of a deal but the buff's they'll be sticking on units will ensure they hurt. They aren't the priority until the big guy is dealt with.

Bloodletters - I have some elements to feed these guys to keep them busy and without re-directors of his own outside of shooting Sabretusks with Skullcannons he's going to be hard pressed to deal with me leading them around the battlefield. When it comes to taking them out I'll be looking for the charge from several elements and hit them hard as I don't want to create an opportunity where I'll be pinned in place allowing some backup to come in and tip the scales. Mournfang will the ideal unit here with their speed to close the distance and armour to protect them. It will however take 2+ units of them to get the job done. Ogres can do it as well but it will cost more in wounds.

Flesh Hounds - These chaps are a tricky one. They're fast and can hit my Ogres like a tonne of falling debris from a tropical cyclone and when combined with other charges they'll be a nightmare to deal with. From a shooting point of view the Leadbelchers will be able to thin them by a few bodies before they hit combat. As far as that goes I'll be looking to 'feed & fight', that is feed them some Sabretusk and get them into a desirable position for me and then clean them up. Unfortunately it feels like I need my Mournfang in several places at once to contain them however with a flank charge from the Ogres I'm sure I can destroy them as well.

Skullcannons - My bane, seriously how does Khorne have shooting units? Now my rants over let's take a closer look. I've fallen into the trap as have many other players in terms of using units like these (Ironblasters) as artillery pieces rather than chariots with a cannon on top of them, with this in mind I think they'll be left in the back field with little defence. This means I could be facing upwards of 12 shots over the course of the game if left to their own devices. Clearly I'm going to do everything in my power to prevent this from happening and I know I'll be hiding my Ironblaster behind a wall of Ogres to give it some sort of protection from what can be described as target number 1. It's worth mentioning here that the Firebelly could wander out to catch a cannonball with a 50% chance eating it but I can't see a scenario where that would happen, wait and see I think.

With 8 drops vs the Ogres 12 I'd be pressing the initiative right from the deployment phase to establish control and enforce my will upon the Daemons. :)

151. Ogre Kingdoms vs. Daemons of Khorne
===================================

Overview
--------
Date played: Sunday, 8 February 2015

Ogre Kingdoms
-------------
(T1) Tyrant
- Heavy Armour, Great Weapon, Trickster's Helm, Talisman of Preservation
(T2) Tyrant
- Great Weapon, Glittering Scales, Talisman of Endurance, Ironcurse Icon
(B) Bruiser
- BSB, Heavy Armour, Great Weapon, Armour of Destiny
(F) Firebelly
- Dispel Scroll, Lore of Fire
(O1) 7 Ogres
- Full Command, Ironfists
(O2) 4 Ogres
- Ironfists, Musician, Standard
(O3) 3 Ogres
(O4) 3 Ogres
(S1) Sabretusk
(S2) Sabretusk
(MC1) 2 Mournfang Cavalry
(MC2) 2 Mournfang Cavalry
(MC3) 2 Mournfang Cavalry
(I) Ironblaster
(L) 4 Leadbelchers
- Musician

Daemons of Khorne
-----------------
(B1) Bloodthirster
- Axe of Khorne
(HoK1) Herald of Khorne
- Juggernaut, Battle Standard Bearer, D3 Impact Hits
(HoK2) Herald of Khorne
- Locus of Fury, ASF
(B2) 15 Bloodletters
- Full Command
(B3) 30 Bloodletters
- Full Command, Banner of Swiftness
(FH1) 5 Flesh Hounds
(FH2) 5 Flesh Hounds
(S1) Skullcannon
(S2) Skullcannon
(B4) 4 Bloodcrushers
- Full Command

Deployment
----------

I won the deployment and dropped the Sabretusks and Ogres (3 man units) which was countered with Flesh Hounds. Once the Skullcannons were down I wanted to stack the right flank so I had some cover from the other cannon with the building. The Sabretusk had an excellent opportunity to zoom up the flank and cause some trouble if needed and hopefully the Ogres and Sabretusk on the right flank could cause enough trouble to prevent them from assisting the main engagement.

Daemons get the +1 and go first.

Turn 1 - Daemons of Khorne
--------------------------

Some movement and not much else. Reign of Chaos brings up some favours from Slaanesh to me killing 3 Flesh Hounds across the board - great start! The Skullcannons all target the Ironblaster, the first one fails to bounce whilst the second takes a mighty 4 wounds from it.

Turn 1 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Sabretusks zoom up the flanks to do what they do best. I needed to get the Bloodthirster out of his hidey hole somehow so put a master plan into action to nail the horde of Bloodletters. If he decided to charge the Mournfang or anything it would leave him in a pretty horrid position to cop counter charges. The Ironblaster hugs the Ogres so at least a flank shot would give it 3 chances of a 6+ from the Ironcurse before it hit it, that was as good as the odds were going to get. During the magic phase I manage a 3 wound fireball onto the Skullcannon but Tim doesn't like this and wards them all. Ironblaster in typical fashion misfires and I lose the ability to shoot next turn, another 170 points of epic failure as it would be well and truly dead by then.

Turn 2 - Daemons of Khorne

Tim's fatal error - he positions the Flesh Hounds hoping for either the MFC or Ogres (O3) to charge them. Bloodthirster gets into a counter charging position ready to go. Reign of Chaos hits the Daemons with a -1 to ward saves. The Skullcannon hits the flank of the Ogres as anticipated but a 1 to wound doesn't even warm up the Ironcurse Icon. Slaanesh must also share my distaste for Khorne having shooting weapons and a 1 to wound comes up again against the Ironblaster.\

Turn 2 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Ogres and Sabretusk charge the Bloodcrushers to pin them in place whilst the MFC charge into the depleted Flesh Hounds. On the right flank the MF charge into the Bloodletters whilst the larger Ogre unit charge into the flank of the Flesh Hounds hoping for an over run to assist the Mournfang. The Firebelly gets an irresitable fireball netting a single wound and doing 5 wounds to the Ogres. In combat the Tyrant and Herald go at it however none can better the other until the massive weight of the Tyrant stomps the Herald for a single wound. The Bloodletters cut back into a MFC however before the incoming damage leaves 15 Bloodletters remaining. On the opposite flank the Sabretusk is toast and only a single Bloodcrusher is cut down and the Daemons hold steady.

Turn 3 - Daemons of Khorne

The Bloodthirster needs no enticing and smacks into the flank of the Ogres whilst the Bloodletters hit the exposed Mournfang. Reign of Chaos is quiet however this time with accurate fire the Ironblaster splinters across the battlefield in an epic vision of deja vu that so many other Ogre general's have felt millions of times over. Bloodcrushers take another wound killing another one (think I failed to fix this on map) and kill an Ogre. Its enough to break the will of the Ogres and the remaining musician flees as the MF is cut down by the pursuing Bloodcrushers as the Bloodletters reform.

In the continuing challenge neither side gains the upper hand and the Bloodthirster minces a single Ogre with his charge. The Ogres retaliate and after the dust settles only the Herald and his champion remain. The Ogres reform to face the Bloodthirster.

Turn 3 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The MF charge into the flank of the Bloodthirster intent on doing some much needed damage on the Greater Daemon whilst the lone MF charges into the exposed Skullcannon. The Ogres plan on joining the Bloodthirster combat but 2" just isn't enough to carry their massive high calorie frames into battle in this instance. The Firebelly powers up again doing 2 wounds to the oncoming Bloodletters and the Leadbelchers match the damage. The Skullcannon fractures on impact from the Mournfang allowing them to reform. The Tyrant cops 2 wounds before smashing apart the Herald as the Bloodthirster cleaves apart a single Mournfang as he takes 2 cuts (wounds) to the knees and the combat holds.

Turn 4 - Daemons of Khorne

The Bloodletters rush to their master's aid charging into the rear of the Mournfang. The Bloodcrushers run down the lone Ogre. The Skullcannon hits the building and takes out all the Ogres. In combat the Bloodthirster batters the Tyrant with 6 wounds however the Talisman of Endurance goes above and beyond reducing the damage to just 2 wounds leaving a very unhealthy looking Tyrant. The Ogres swing their weapons and cut the Bloodthirster out of his fabric of existence after the poor Mournfang is picked apart by the Bloodletters.

Turn 4 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

The Ogres turn their attention to the Bloodletters and charge into the combat whilst the general doesn't want to sit this one out runs into combat as well. The firebelly powers up again an IF fireball dumping 2 wounds onto the Skullcannon and the Leadbelchers put a single wound onto the machine. Bloodletters and rolled in combat.

Turn 5 - Daemons of Khorne

The Skullcannon snipes a single Ogre.

Turn 5 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

I zoom the Sabretusk into place of annoyance meaning only a solo charge could get the Herald out or expose their back to the Ogres. The Firebelly fails to yield any damage however the Leadbelchers reduce the Skullcannon from the material world.

Turn 6 - Daemons of Khorne

In true Khorne style the Herald solo charges into the Ogres bellowing his war cry. He cuts down a single Ogre however in response great weapons with blunt edges dent and pierce the Juggernaut into a red paste across the desert floor.

Turn 6 - Ogre Kingdoms
----------------------

Out of range but the Ogres win the day.

Result - Ogre Kingdoms Victory

Conclusion:

To follow.

X-wing Blog
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1058 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Jimmy,

It must be some kind of telepathy because I have just checked the forum and here there is a new report from you!

What a great sight! Both armies beautifully painted, excellent terrain and a great game unfolding! I have only just skimmed through the pictures and boy but this BT looks awesome! Can't wait to read the report with the attention it deserves but just wanted to say I like it already! =D>

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
RE.Lee

Re: The Journey Continues..Battle 151 - 08/02/15

#1059 Post by RE.Lee »

Nice report, you did great to stop that brutal horde =D> The visual side was fantastic, too, I remember that Bloodthirster as a WIP ;)
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Davariel
Chronicler

#1060 Post by Davariel »

The quality (and quantity :shock: ) of these reports is amazing, thanks so much for taking the time and effort to post it all up!

Oh, and don't feel too bad about the Skullcannons, you're not the only one annoyed by Khorne having shooting units...
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1061 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks a lot for another great report! I must say that seeing both armies beautifully painted and arrayed on the great looking table is something many people enjoy in your games. If only tournament organizers could secure such quality of battle fields and players always brought beautiful armies :)

You did an amazing job on Mr. BT and it was a pleasure to see close ups. It is a fantastic model and I must say that when I saw the most recent versions for ET Archaon greater daemons I still prefer this one. Absolutely fantastic sculpt and you did great to show that with your painting.

The army of your friend looks quite interesting. He has 2 infantry units that can form kind of an anvil for the rest of the regiments. Big unit can go wide for more attacks or narrow for ranks and being steadfast longer.

Fleshhounds are great support units but are also amazing at killing small regiments of the enemy. Especially their charge can be powerful.

Bloodcrushers might not be as hard hitting as Skullcrushers and seem more vulnerable but they combine armor and ward save. They are still very good unit and can take on medium regiments of yours too.

Skillcannons don't need any introduction but I would try to exploit the fact they have flaming attacks and maybe tempt them with running solo Firebelly too.

The heralds will help their units a lot and I wonder if your friend considered joining small bloodletters with Juggernaut one as he fits nicely into that regiment (I think, would need to check the bases). That would bolster their combat prowess and provides more opportunities in terms of where the characters can be. In fact, he can also join Fleshhounds for extra magic protection.

Of course the main threat comes with Blood Thirster himself. His potential is a little reduced against your army as he cannot t-stomp anything. But with so many attacks he can do a lot of damage all by himself. It will still pay off to combine his martial prowess with ranks to break steadfast or even more attacks from other units. The good thing is you have tools to wound it and I am looking forward to seeing some heavy weight champions fights! :)

Terrain

I am currently working on improving my own games (I always do but as you know already I am searching for some well defined "points" to check while preparing for battle) and I noticed quite obviously that I should read the terrain better.

So in attempt to train myself in doing so let me try to do that here.

The main feature here is the huge tower. It can be both an obstacle and good defensive position. First thing I thought while seeing this was that it would be a great place for Leadbelchers to be. And considering the relative distances it would be possible for you to reach it in your turn 2 if deployed South and maybe turn 1 if deployed North.

At the same time it is a perfect place for small bloodletters as they can jump in there and use it to emerge the following turn where it is the best or draw some charges in.

That building divided the battle field into two areas and that would mean the units would need to be funneled through one or the other corridor. That means that the right flank can be a little crowded but would allow for a brutal frontal assault with both sides protected.

The woods on the center-left are actually a problematic feature for both armies as first, no one knows what is going to be in that mysterious terrain and second, fighting in woods takes away steadfast. A disadvantage for bigger Ogre units and Bloodletters.

Hence I was not surprised to see both generals deploying the infantry on the East.

Deployment

I think Ogres got more solid deployment and Jimmy used his advantage of dropping less dangerous units first and weighting on the flank where he could use his advantage of hitting hard on small frontage. Because of that I think it was a mistake to position big unit of bloodletters in horde formation. I would form them deep instead (fewer enemies can make contact) and stayed put to be a threat but advance with fast units around the tower on the other flank and deny it to Ogres with small unit of letters.

There are still a few things I don't quite understand in your deployment, Jimmy, so a few questions. Please, don't think I know better but I would love to ask what was your reasoning:

- Leadbelchers - having possibility to enter the tower and stay centrally for better target selection I thought they would go where MC1 were
- MC2 - why were they behind O3? They would project more threat if positioned for a charge already.
- same with O2 and associated characters

If the entire formation was moved to the left a little, with MC1 hugging the rocks, I think you would be able to push some of the regiments to the front rank and have better control over the area as no unit would block each other.

Also, who was picking the side?

Turn 1

I have an impression that the hounds and crushers on the West didn't move full distance they could. Is that correct? If yes, why was that so?

As I said I think big units should have stayed put and at the same time nearby hounds were also blocked so your opponent could not threat you with some long charges (even if it was not necessary, having such opportunity is a good idea).

You moved majority of the army forward as expected. However, O3 seemed to slow the advance . Also, why MC1 stayed back? Did you fear Skullcannon charge? I think you could have moved forward to be just out of the potential charge range of any unit of your enemy on that flank.

Turn 2

Was there any particular reason why Fleshhounds were constantly in front of the crushers? Also, second unit exposed the flank and indeed, that was a mistake.

I like your move with sabertusk that allowed for 2 combats per turn. Great thinking of a true MSU practitioner! Just a pity you could not inflict more damage and crumble the crushers all together. However, I missed a re-director here that would block the letters from flank charging. But there was nothing you could do unless you would have moved Tyrant out of a unit :D

The charge against blood letters was good too! You used the opportunity given by the opponent. I wonder though if you considered the following option:

- declare the charge with O3, Ironblaster and MC3 against the letters - that would probably allow you to get into combat with MC3, IB and maybe O3 but at least they would open the path for IB.
- declare the charge with big block and overrun into letters allowing single column to attack and keeping BT in your front

If that was possible to arrange then your IB would be safer in combat, you would put more pressure on the letters anyway and had better position to absorb counter charges while some fast units like MC 2 could move to the left and threaten to counter charge whatever was left after the combat there.

Turn 3

No surprise here that your friend counter-charged. He managed to break your units on the left flank but not on the right flank. That was dangerous for his general and I think he simply committed him too early.

I am afraid you made an illegal move though. While fighting to the front and to the flank you cannot reform to face Blood Thirster.

The counter attack was great idea but I wonder if your friend thought about challenging? That may have helped him to stay alive longer.

Turn 4

Daemons are really pushed hard now and again, the question needs to be asked about the challenge. Blood Letters helped a lot in that combat but it was for nothing as BT was wounded too many times. Well done Ogres!

It was inevitable to face that counter and Blood Letters alone could not withstand such punishment. With only 2 regiments left nothing could save the daemons and the rest of the game was simply a matter of how many of them are going to survive if at all.

Well done, Jimmy, it was well deserved victory!

Summary

I think you identified the threats well and used your advantages properly. It is nice to see MSU army that can actually absorb the damage! You exploited the mistakes nicely and I really liked the combats where you used larger number of units to engineer 2 fights per combat phase. Really, really great job and handbook example of how to do it!

Looking forward to reading your conclusions and I wonder what your friend would do differently. I am sure you both had a nice chat about it after the game :)

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Jimmy
Centurion

#1062 Post by Jimmy »

Amazing to think that it's been February since my last game of Warhammer. How much times have changed since then, we've had a rise of another gaming system in Kings of War, Age of Sigmar of course has been released and naturally other shiny things have captured my attention from other game systems to fill that void of 8th edition.

I've been wanting a simple war game that I could use my blocks of troops I'd painstakingly painted over the past decade and throw some (horrid) dice around with family and friends and although I'm only one game in I think Kings of War certainly ticks the boxes. Granted this could be premature however even on the side of a loss I see the game really becoming a favourite for my brother and I to get the same experience and walk away without the complex issues we both had with warhammer at one time or another.

I have my very first game up from Kings of War here and whilst nothing special at first glance, unlike my previous journey of warhammer this one will showcase the journey right from when it started for this gaming system. Some very kind chap once called me the wisest of kings referring to my Tomb King collection of victories and whilst this was very humbling I feel a strong urge to earn that back two fold.

Very much looking forward to the next game and with that my blog probably deserves and new name as it's a fitting chapter to start.

X-wing Blog
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: Vengeance Rising

#1063 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Jimmy,

Great to see you posting again. I hope you will come back with your great and regular reports and the fact that you showed up is a sign of hope that Ulthuan.net is not going to sink beneath the waves.

I am sure you will be able to find your own path in the new system and that this new journey will provide even more entertainment and quality posts you are so well known from!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Jimmy
Centurion

#1064 Post by Jimmy »

Well as a typical Undead monstrosity who simply won't die, after nearly a decade I'm back.

Due to hosting issues I've written up a brief summary of a game with a good friend yesterday on my blog.

Please feel free to check it out and comment wherever.

:)

https://tombhammer.blogspot.com/2024/01 ... world.html

X-wing Blog
Morgen

#1065 Post by Morgen »

Welcome back!
Jimmy
Centurion

#1066 Post by Jimmy »

https://tombhammer.blogspot.com/2024/02 ... oints.html

Game 2 summary is up and wow what a one sided affair.

Still learning rules and tightening up play.

Thanks for reading.

X-wing Blog
TyrrenAzureblade

#1067 Post by TyrrenAzureblade »

Jimmy wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:44 am https://tombhammer.blogspot.com/2024/02 ... oints.html

Game 2 summary is up and wow what a one sided affair.

Still learning rules and tightening up play.

Thanks for reading.
Well written, hope to see more of these! One mistake I noticed was your casting of Spectral Steed wasn’t legal. It must target an infantry character, it couldn’t have targeted a unit of Skeleton Warriors or Ushabti.
Jimmy
Centurion

#1068 Post by Jimmy »

@Tyrren

Yes indeed it was an error. Thanks for pointing that out although I'm sure there will be many more to come being in the early days.

Game 3 is here:

X-wing Blog
Jimmy
Centurion

#1069 Post by Jimmy »

Game 4 can be read about here folks.

X-wing Blog
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1070 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Jimmy,

Great to see you back and reporting again!

I think it is fantastic to see your battle reports, especially at the early stages of TOW. It's because you are willing to experiment wildly with many variants of the army list, thus showcasing many different rules in action. It is invaluable, regardless of what armies are featured. As a bonus, HE generals can learn more about their potential opponents :)

I posted a few comments on your blog regarding each battle. I cannot wait to see your next battle report!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth