Brewmaster D's Coven of Light Blog - 05/12 Battle Report

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: Brewmaster D's Coven of Light Blog - 05/12 Battle Report

#631 Post by SpellArcher »

Can't believe you're old enough to remember Missile Command Brewmaster!

:)
Jimmy
Centurion

#632 Post by Jimmy »

Great performance as usual BM, thanks for the report. A list like this demands respect right from the first magic phase.

Well done. :)
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#633 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Curu Olannon wrote:I do however strongly disagree about not killing the fanatic: taking out 5 goblins is rarely useful, whereas preventing the fanatic from blocking you, or worst case rolling through you, is relatively important.
+1

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Brewmaster_D

#634 Post by Brewmaster_D »

Hey everyone!

Sorry for the inactivity this week - this month I got involved in a start-up company, so I haven't had much time to focus on Warhammer related ventures.

Having said that, here's what's coming up in the near future:

jwg20 and I have had 3 battles at 2500 points on universal battles, myself with the coven and him with his cavalry based vampire counts. Needless to say, the results were nothing short of spectacular, and some of the best games of warhammer the world has ever seen (a representative from guiness was there to verify it too). We had so much fun with them that we're now going to run another 3 game mini-series.

Additionally, I've convinced some of my more courageous friends to take the road trip over to Montreal next weekend for my first 2500 point tournament. I'm excited to play at this points level, as it is what the list was initially developed for, and it is the point level I'm most comfortable at.

As always, thanks for reading guys!

D
[i]There is nothing do fear but fear itself... well, that and Toughness tests. [/i]

Check out my Army Blog for tactics, battle reports and general ramblings: [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=35454]Brewmaster D's Coven of Light Army List Blog[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=35478]The Art of Deployment[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=35380]Writing Army Lists[/url]
pk-ng

#635 Post by pk-ng »

Hey good luck in your tournament D. I'm entering a ETC challenge with a mate and we are representing HE in our local club. So it'll be good to see how the Coven will perform under ETC rules!
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Talifan

#636 Post by Talifan »

Good Luck D! Canadians Unite!
[color=#FF0080]Live and Fight with Honour, for We are the Most Noble[/color]
[color=#0000FF]2012 Games - (W/L/D) 49-1-0[/color]
[img]http://mawhammer.yolasite.com/resources/Gem1.JPG[/img]
Lord Whitestar's Leviathan Company Champion.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=38785]Blog[/url]
[url=http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000297179244]Facebook for Talifan[/url]
[quote="Aicanor"]Yes, Sapherian princes are an evil bunch.[/quote]
Findolfin

#637 Post by Findolfin »

Guess we will meet there and maybe on the battlefield :)
A tale of Ellyrion, cavalry army blog:
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=749457#p749457
Painting log:
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=816029#p816029
"We ride until the sun sets..."
krysith

#638 Post by krysith »

Brewmaster_D wrote:Hey everyone!

Sorry for the inactivity this week - this month I got involved in a start-up company, so I haven't had much time to focus on Warhammer related ventures.

D
Well, it was a nice blog while it lasted... ;)

Have fun with those 60 hour work weeks! And I actually mean that: working at a startup is some of the most fun you can legally have! It is also frustrating, a "learning experience" (in the same sense that playing brettonians against a metal coven is a learning experience), and only financially rewarding if you are both lucky and good. Remember to have fun with it and let the non-financial stuff be rewarding too. I probably learned more during my startup years that I have in all my years in industry since.

If you aren't familar with Paul Graham's essays yet, I'd recommend reading them (http://www.paulgraham.com/articles.html). They are good homework for anyone starting up, even if you aren't in the silcon valley style of startup. I don't agree with all that he says, but a lot of his essays are quite insightful (the nerds one is legendary).
[quote="Seredain"]

Haha! I'm guessing that the codename for this will be [i]Operation Evil Bumrush[/i].
[quote="Eldria"]

Close buts its a bit more [i]Operation Chargeblerghvomitvomiteateat ooolook I grew an extra head[/i][/quote][/quote]
Flaxis

#639 Post by Flaxis »

Brewmaster_D,

Good Luck at the Tournament

Commander Flaxis
Texx

#640 Post by Texx »

Brewmaster_D

Thanks for the great blog you have! I usually don't post but I have been following you're blog with great interest. I have been testing out the list myself with very minor changes (switching ring of corin mage for a BSB noble with radiant gem:light and dropping some Leadership items). The overall list is very solid, and its a great new way to play my HE. I may have to take the list to a tournament in a week.

Hope you're business is going well,
Texx
Prince Athalas

#641 Post by Prince Athalas »

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere over the 22 pages but
I have not read through all of them. What is the orange stuff on
the bases and what manufacturer is that? It looks so good with
the green :)
We are the chosen of Asuryan, beloved of the gods and heirs to the world. Our armies are the finest in creation; swift where our foes are lumbering, cultured where they are barbaric. Give no thought to failure, nor defeat - we are the children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail.
Ace073

#642 Post by Ace073 »

Hey Brewmaster, love the blog, its gotten me through many a boring work day (along with Curu's star dragon one..)

Just a quick question for you in regards to what other races can field a viable coven of light.. I know empire get their cheap wizards and banishment wagon, so maybe them.

I was thinking of Daemons of Chaos with loremaster heralds. From what i understand, and iv checked the demons faq and rulebook faq, but since the model's spells are set by the Loremaster rule (he knows all of them) I would assume you could have multiple banishments and pha's that way? Of course, all of your wizards would be level two, but at its not a high cost lore really.

Just wondering how you guys think it would go, (replacing white lions with bloodletters, eagles with fiends or furies.)
Arch Mage

#643 Post by Arch Mage »

Yes you would know all the spells, in the lizard men FAQ regarding that they said you would, since they had pre-bought the spells.

Is it just me or is it a bit stupid that the lore attribute of light ripps through demons yet they can take it?
[color=#4000FF]The Arch Mage of light and true magic[/color]

600 trolls and climbing! :mrgreen:
[color=#FF0000]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=40633&p=775432#p775432]if you are drowning out there as a beginner, I hope this helps.[/url][/color]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=40964&p=778044#p778044]my army lists[/url]
Ace073

#644 Post by Ace073 »

Yeah its pretty amusing. I wonder how well it would do though.. Bloodletters can sub in for lions, and three banishments and pha's is rough... but only +2 to cast, unless you run a Lord of Change..

I think the archer core, while usually whiffing their attacks, provide some threat at a decent range. Flamers at 18" don't quite have the same bubble.

In regards to hard matchups for the Coven, has anyone ever played against a caster heavy vampires list?

A friend of mine did on the weekend, with two mortis engines and a lv4 vamp, and three or four lv1 necros for cheap heals, he Van Danced his way right up to the poor high elf in turn one. (Not all of his stuff of course, but he had three or four units of dogs literally an inch from the archer core.)

In the elves first turn, he just focused on dispelling double banishment (he had +5 to dispel and a -1 to cast power if i remember correctly) and didnt much care about anything else. When it came to combat, he still had a 40 or so ghoul horde, and some 15 crypt horrors in a chunky MI horde... It was a weird build id not seen before, he basically hid his casters and engines behind the horrors, ghouls on one flank and zombies on the other, (so his horrors had regen from the engines and were in quadruple invocation of nehek bubble.)

I felt really bad for the coven player, he didnt even have any good banishment targets really. No terrorgheists, everything worth points hidden behind the monstrous infantry. (Not that he got a cast off in the two turns before everything ate him.)

Was this luck or bad play, or did that kind of list present a simple counter to the coven?
theviking

#645 Post by theviking »

Without knowing more about the two army lists I'd say it sounds like a little of both bad luck and poor play. Where are the eagles redirecting the hordes? The counter charge by timewarped elite infantry?

The coven likes to have several turns of blasting away at stuff for sure so this sounds like a bad matchup, and it takes some experience and finesse to play successfully. The average HE general can't just write four light mages into their list and expect to play as well as brewmaster does.
Ace073

#646 Post by Ace073 »

HE list was set up for a s7 banishment (which i disagreed with.)

1 eagle delayed ghoul horde, while the other charged a dog unit to keep it off the mage bunker (as i said, dogs were within 3" of the bunker before high elves even got a turn.)

I think the list just needs that extra time before getting stuck into combat to be able to throw banishments around, and while a timewarped lion unit is a scary thing, an undead unit that is too big to be wiped out in one unit and has four possible heals, is just not going to be that worried about it.
2kkendo

#647 Post by 2kkendo »

Hi Brewmaster,

Been following your thread for a while now and have been inspired to make a 2500 list using coven of light and yesterday had my first 2500 game against Chaos Dwarves and thanks to coven, killed his K'daai destroyer in turn 3 after rolling snake eyes for my level 4 archmage which took on the K'daai 1on1.

Just want to say thanks for your list idea, keep up the good work!
Ciratan

#648 Post by Ciratan »

Any recent battles? I love these things. =D>