Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500pts Army Blog

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

Re: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500pts Army Blog

#1411 Post by Curu Olannon »

@SpellArcher - WE are restricted to 60 Glade Guard, DE to 45 Xbows. Further than that, I don`t see how anything but a Dragon can be truly strong against WE MSU (arguably a shooty-heavy Coven) seeing as they`ll tear apart any of our infantry and cavalry, if they don`t have any trees at all. However, I don`t believe these armies can stand up to some of the other uncomped alternatives, and as such they`re (hopefully) rare. What would you suggest to further increase my chances against these lists? I fully agree that they`re a terrifying prospect, but then again I don`t really see how any HE list can be very strong against them, exceptions noted above.

@Tarval - I see your point, I just disagree that Spears are better than Archers in this situation because they cannot shoot, something I consider a vital difference. In this matchup however I could not have established a forward base anyways, due to his mobility.

@John Rainbow - He`s 75mm wide so I only get 4 models. That`s 13 attacks, including Bladelord. 12 hits, 11 wounds. 5 stopped by armour, another 2 by ward. 4 casualties. In return, 11 attacks from Knights. 6 hits, 5 wounds. Before horses, he`s ahead by 1W and has charge, ranks, banner in addition.
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1412 Post by SpellArcher »

I agree it's a difficult match-up for most HE lists. But it might be worth trying to build certain things in to mitigate the problems. To be honest your shooting phase is already good. But magic, which should be hurting every enemy is not doing enough here, especially considering he's only likely to have a single Beasts Lvl4 plus scroll. You might be able to snipe him. But at present you have no MM's, which could also come inhandy in other match-ups. A couple of faster elements would at least restrict his movement a little. If he's determined he can shoot them but meanwhile you start killing his shooters.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1413 Post by Curu Olannon »

SpellArcher wrote:I agree it's a difficult match-up for most HE lists. But it might be worth trying to build certain things in to mitigate the problems. To be honest your shooting phase is already good. But magic, which should be hurting every enemy is not doing enough here, especially considering he's only likely to have a single Beasts Lvl4 plus scroll. You might be able to snipe him. But at present you have no MM's, which could also come inhandy in other match-ups. A couple of faster elements would at least restrict his movement a little. If he's determined he can shoot them but meanwhile you start killing his shooters.
Bearing in mind that D&D has a 48" range and AoE Soulblight is devastating, I`m not sure I agree 100%. I get your point about MM`s, but I just don`t see a way to incorporate the Ring of Fury (which I consider the only viable option as Ruby Ring simply isn`t strong enough). I could of course drop the Reaver Bow, but that essentially trades S5 without having to trade PD for S4, albeit with more hits (on average). As for faster elements, There`s basically nothing I feel I can take here without taking away too much: I`m way more worried about having enough infantry (which will be critical in more matchups) than getting to the shooty ones. Even with 2x5 DP an all-out shooting WE list will tear them apart long before they hit their lines and that`s investing 300 points in fast movers.

An armoured BSB of sorts (something like the one I`m using with the Dragon list) could do the job, but that would mean a very vulnerable BSB (since there are no other good cannon-targets) and, again, less infantry (seeing as the Eagle costs 50 points).

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1414 Post by Curu Olannon »

BR continued...

:: Bretonnia Turn 1 ::

His Grail Knights take the bait with the offensively placed chariot and I successfully flee as they stumble forward a handful of inches. His East Pegasus decide not to charge the Archers, seeing the Swordmasters set up for a counter-attack. instead, they move to their flank, intent on getting into a good position in their T2. The Lord moves up, as does the lance with the prophetess and flaming banner. The last lance advances as well, although it`s a slow advance because of Miasma.

Magic is 5v6 and he chucks it all at Dwellers, targeting the Swordmasters. A miserable roll sees him not even remotely hit the required 21+ and I breath a sigh of relief.

Shooting however is more effective, with a Trebuchet killing 10 (!) Archers and the Bowmen following up with a couple of Swordmasters. Panic test passed, and his turn 1 is over. Although things could´ve been worse, I don`t like the dominating position he`s getting into on the Eastern flank, the Lions are position as such that if they try to intervene the second lance (with the 2 Paladins) and the Grail Knights will have their flank/rear easily.

:: High Elves Turn 2 ::

I know I need to try and back up the Lions and create a more cohesive center, around which the mages can work their magic (literally speaking!) and the potential threat of mindrazored Archers is lurking on the West flank, which is now completely open to me. Faith wants it otherwise though, as the Lions fail their free reform test and are instead forced to turn and face the Lances. This unit contains both mages and have already lost a handful of Lions to the miscast blast. Oh-oh. The rest of the army does what it has to do: I move the Eagle and some Archers up on the West flank to hopefully take control, grant a safe haven for the general and kill the Trebuchet. The Swordmasters split up, with one unit moving full speed ahead towards the lord in order to get away from the Lance`s charge arc. If Strange ignores them, I can swift reform (see how good I am at that!) them and quickly threaten the lance`s rear with some eagle blocking. The other Swordmaster unit backs off to create a no-go zone in the Eastern part of the centre.

Magic gives me an abysmal 5v3 split. I was really hoping for some dice now to throw out Withering, Enfeebling, Miasma, Sun etc. I start with a 2D6 Miasma, not risking the 1D6 and Strange dispels it. I then follow up with a 3D6 Enfeebling on the character bus, which he decides not to scroll. The result is -1S, however I use the lore attribute to swap places with the BSB, ensuring the shadow mage will still (hopefully) have an impact on the game, regardless of the fate of the Lions.

Shooting is insignificant as I fail to wound his trebuchet.

C&C welcome :)

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#1415 Post by Elithmar »

I like all the positioning with the sword masters and such to control the knights' movement. I suppose it's rather simple to you, but I find it clever. ^_^
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
John Rainbow

#1416 Post by John Rainbow »

Curu Olannon wrote:@John Rainbow - He`s 75mm wide so I only get 4 models. That`s 13 attacks, including Bladelord. 12 hits, 11 wounds. 5 stopped by armour, another 2 by ward. 4 casualties. In return, 11 attacks from Knights. 6 hits, 5 wounds. Before horses, he`s ahead by 1W and has charge, ranks, banner in addition.
Actually you should get 5 wide if you maximise. Do knights have two attacks each? I agree that with characters in the mix you lose (but probably kill a character) but against naked knights it's a lot closer.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1417 Post by Curu Olannon »

Elithmar of Lothern wrote:I like all the positioning with the sword masters and such to control the knights' movement. I suppose it's rather simple to you, but I find it clever. ^_^
Actually it was far from simple. I knew I had a bad starting point and I was just lucky to be able to get out of his arc. If Strange had measured this case more carefully I would not have gotten away. One of the reasons why I started playing with a dragon was because I saw how many hopeless situations this kind of mobility can cause for your opponent. This game, I was on the receiving end and I really need to learn how to play better against these lists

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1418 Post by Curu Olannon »

John Rainbow wrote:
Curu Olannon wrote:@John Rainbow - He`s 75mm wide so I only get 4 models. That`s 13 attacks, including Bladelord. 12 hits, 11 wounds. 5 stopped by armour, another 2 by ward. 4 casualties. In return, 11 attacks from Knights. 6 hits, 5 wounds. Before horses, he`s ahead by 1W and has charge, ranks, banner in addition.
Actually you should get 5 wide if you maximise. Do knights have two attacks each? I agree that with characters in the mix you lose (but probably kill a character) but against naked knights it's a lot closer.
Indeed you are correct! My bad, won't forget that next time. It evens the odds a bit, but it'll be too close for comfort, especially considering the static advantage he has. Knights only have 1 attack each, but the Lance rule gives them a lot of attacks. As for killing characters, the Lord is WS6 I6 so I hit on 4+ without re-roll and he sports a 2+/5++ so unlikely to kill him in one round.

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1419 Post by Curu Olannon »

BR continued...

:: Bretonnia Turn 2 ::

The turn of turns, where some things would truly shape the rest of the game. The flame-bus declares a charge on the Lions, I hold. The character-bus declares a charge as well, I stand and shoot with the BSB to no effect. The Grail Knights declare a charge as well and seeing as there are no other chargers in range, I decide to take my chances and flee. I'm 11" from the table edge and the busses all have more than 50% chance of reaching me. I roll a massive 10" and stop just in front of the table edge! His Knights all fail to reach me and they all stumble a few inches forwards. The Pegasi on the East decide to chill for the time being, awaiting further positioning from the buses next turn. The Lord moves up in front of the Archers and his mounted Yeomen try to wrap around my Western flank.

Magic sees him fail to cast Dwellers again and we move to shooting.

One trebuchet misses completely, the other lands on the Swordmasters to squash 7 of them. Luckily, panic is passed. His Yeomen and Bowmen combine to kill a couple of Archers, no biggie.

I forgot to take a picture of this turn because I was so anxious to declare a couple of very interesting charges and try and rally the Lions...

:: High Elves Turn 3 ::

The West Eagle charges the Trebuchet, needing to get 7+ on Swiftstride to get in, which I manage easily with a '6' and a '5'. The Archers on the East charge the lord. The reasoning here was to set up the Swordmasters: by challenging with a Champion for one round I'd have one, maybe 2, tests @ Steadfast. The Swordmasters successfully reform and move to intercept him wherever he goes, unless the Archers flee after the first round of combat.

The big event comes up as I try to rally the Lions. I declare the Gem of Courage as I really cannot afford to lose them with the characters, but it was not needed as I roll a '1' and two '2's. I reform to face the centre.

The Chariot finds it has nothing better to do than act as an Eagle as it was impossible to put it in a good spot. The Eagle moves to a central position, awaiting instructions for later turns of the game.

Magic gives us 10v5 and I go to town: 3v3D6 Spirit Leech dispelled, 1D6 Miasma on character bus for -1M, 4D6 Withering on Grail Knights for -3T and 2D6 Soulblight on the Mounted Yeomen for -1S, -1T.

Shooting sees my West Archers kill the Yeomen and the only unit left to threaten that flank is the Grail Knights and their position is too poor to seriously hurt anything but Archers. The Eagle makes short work of the Trebuchet and the other panics as a result of the first breaking, leaving me free of a turn of shooting! The Archers' champion dies valiantly against the Lord but I manage to hold, LD8 steadfast proving to be solid. The game is suddenly looking a lot brighter than a turn before.

Strange checks the Grail Knights' charge arc, only to see that the Elf general is too far away. Also note that the chariot is positioned so that an overrun takes the bus into impassable terrain.

Lecai

#1420 Post by Lecai »

Hi Curu,

Should you ever find the dual-AM build lacking in the future, remember that Death is such a good all-comers lore that you might even consider going with a super-charged mono-lore list with Death. There's always something Death can do to change the course of the battle in almost any match-up. The BoH Death build can be great for that because of the guaranteed casts each and every turn. An Irish player in this forum tried this under the ETC comp with some success. Light is of course also an excellent choice for a mono-lore build. I remember the BoH Coven build blogged by the UK player "Eldria" under the SCGT comp at this forum. I find it a totally legit build as an alternative to the Seerstaff council. BoH AM + GemBSB + Lvl1withArcaneItem x 2.

Here's a sample list built with the OMSK comp in mind and is centered around "DEATH":

Lords -%15

1x Archmage (The Lore of Death) - Level 4, Book of Hoeth = 360

Heroes -%13,3

1x Noble - Battle Standard Bearer, Loremaster's Cloak, Ironcurse Icon, Charmed Shield, Dragon Armour, Great Weapon = 174
1x Mage (The Lore of Death) - The Terrifying Mask of EEE, Dispel Scroll = 145

Core -%25

21x Archers - Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Eternal Flame = 256
10x Archers - Musician = 115

Special -%42,5

27x White Lions of Chrace - Full Command, The Other Trickster's Shard = 450
25x White Lions of Chrace - Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Sorcery = 443
7x Sword Masters of Hoeth - Bladelord, Talisman of Loec = 127

Rare -%4,2

1x Great Eagle = 50
1x Great Eagle = 50

Total = 2400

I do agree with the Miscast risk of the BoH build though. The single rule that makes Teclis so utterly "OP" has got to be the "War Crown of Saphery" ! I'm usually not too fussed if the BoH AM wrecks the enemy and decides to jump in a dimensional hole T3-4. I like the BoH in spite of all the usual criticism because it provides High Elves something unique to do with the magic phase and requires list-building to compensate for its weaknesses like the inflexibility/vulnerability issues. The spell-selection issue can be mitigated a bit by the old trick of picking the same lore for the Scroll/Mask caddy guy and rolling with him first for example. He's the poor man's Silver Wand with legs for sure! :)
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#1421 Post by Elithmar »

So it seems you've got the general, but it looks like the knights could cause some trouble yet...
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1422 Post by Curu Olannon »

@Lecai - thanks for the input. I will indeed consider going for a single-AM BoH build, though I doubt it'll be so Lion-centric seeing as those lists are so easy to play around. Anyways, I take your point with regards to mono-lore setups. If I do go for something like that, I'm more likely to try out Light as I believe High Elves have a somewhat undiscovered potential there: I have yet to see people truly utilize the lore consistently with non-standard lists (read: not packing 2 Lion Hordes and waiting for people to come to them) and perform well. Most Coven lists rely on spamming Banishment, but I believe that the Lore can be so much more than that. For now though I'm enjoying the Shadow + Death setup.

@Elithmar of Lothern - my thoughts exactly! It's been too long since I've played Warhammer so my usual mathhammer-senses were off. I should've done more in-game calculations, which would've allowed me to make more informed decisions. As it was, I was simply "worried" about the Knights and hoping the problem would solve itself (something it rarely does).

I'll begin the write-up of the midgame shortly!

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1423 Post by Curu Olannon »

BR continued...

:: Bretonnia Turn 3 ::

His Knightbus with the flaming banner charges the Chariot, which elects to hold as it's intending to sell it's life as a relatively expensive Eagle. I don't mind doing this, seeing as it's by far the best use at this time. In committing to the Lord with the Swordmasters, I've given the characters + Lions a steep task: fend off 3 full-strength Lances with 3 characters. To this end, I'm hoping that the mages can do what they do best - cast some awesome spells and get in control. The Grail Knights charge what's left of the big Archers with the flaming banner. I hold, seeing as I don't intend for them to cause more Archers to flee. Besides, I have a champion at the end of the unit, which could make things interesting with both the BSB and the general within 12"...

Magic is 3v4, he decides to try and dispel Withering on the Grails but fails to meet the required 13+! Shooting is suddenly uninteresting, seeing as one Trebuchet is dead, the other panicked. The Archers might've killed a Swordie or two, but nothing major happened.

In combat, the Lord wins against the Archers but they're still 5 strong. Regardless, they fail their steadfast and are run down. The Grails are challenged, which effectively means that they cannot get more than 2 attacks and maximum kill 1 model, unless they want to lose their blessing. He decides to accept, and even though the brave Hawkeye puts a wound on him (T1 hurts!), I can't get through the armour. In return the poor Elf is cut down. I hold my breath for a re-rollable LD4 test, but to no avail: The Archers run and are caught. The pursuit is also long enough to bring them out of the Lions' charge arc.

Two buses, the Grail Knights and the Pegasus Knights are closing in on the Lions...

:: High Elves Turn 4 ::

I realize that when this turn is over, I only have 2 more moves left in the game. This is critical because I simply don't have the time to perform a turn towards the center with neither the Swordmasters, the Treb-hunting Eagle nor the mage-protecting Archers, barring some really lucky rolls. I decide to stick with the plan. Both Swordmaster units charge the Lord and make it, the Eagle goes for the second trebuchet. I move a unit of small Archers to cover the GK's next move, hoping that Shadow will prove vital here: regardless of whether Mindrazor goes off or not I should free up some potential for other spells, which is a fair trade considering my dire straits with regards to the Lions. I move the second Eagle to slow down one of the busses.

Magic is a massive 12v6 and I start off with a 3D6 Leech, which is dispelled. I then cast Enfeebling on 3D6 against his character bus, which he lets through for -1S. 3D6 Doom and Darkness on his Lord follows, which he lets through. I finish with a 3D6 Miasma (boosted, to give me both re-rolls and hopefully a 3+ base-hit) which he lets through, reasoning that the Lord is dead already. I score a '5' for the D3 result. He fails to dispel Withering on 3D6 again, being one (!) short. A pretty good phase for me!

Shooting is insignificant and we move to combat: The Trebuchet goes down and the Lord can't do a whole lot against the flurry of Swords hacking and slashing at him. I reform both Swordmasters to face the center, hoping I can make it in time.

:: Bretonnia Turn 4 ::

The bus charges the Eagle. His Grail Knights reform to flank the Lions while the last bus move up while the Pegasi decide to act as speedbumps. Magic is 5v4 and he decides to dispel, this time managing both enfeebling (2D6) and withering (3D6).

The stage is set for the last couple of turns...

C&C welcome, the rest will be up tomorrow :)

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#1424 Post by Elithmar »

Sword Masters can march turn 5 and probably be in combat 6, can't they?

I wonder if the lions can beat the peg knights in one round and run into the bus...

It will be epic! By the way, can I see your BSB broken off the tree stump base? I hope he's meant to do that! :shock:
Lecai

#1425 Post by Lecai »

Curu have you ever thought about giving one the elite infantry champs The Other Trickster's Shard? There are way too many threats with ward saves for them to deal with and Brets are one of those threats. ToTS or even a ToL on a Bladelord could tip the scales against the lance. I always take these cheap items on the champs whenever I can. Was it one of your batreps where a WL horde with tOtS ripped some Savage Orc Big'Un horde apart?
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1426 Post by Curu Olannon »

@Elithmar - true, but it`s a long way and the busses are very fast! Strange positioned the bus so that even if the Lions won, it would be impossible to reach the cavalry behind (12.1"). The BSB is modelled with a bit of pin from the horse`s leg, which allows me to de-mount him for transportation :)

@Lecai - yeah I`ve considered it. might get around to nice little things like this ;) Indeed I had a game where that item wreaked complete havoc on some Big`Uns (even caused my opponent to question the use of the rules).

Rest of the report will be up tonight :)

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1427 Post by Curu Olannon »

BR continued...

:: High Elves Turn 5 ::

The Archers charge the Grail Knights in the flank while the Swordmasters march up. The Lions charge the Pegasus, since I figure it`s better to charge and get rid of them and just risk the Bretonnia T5, whatever may come. The Shadow archmage moved a little closer while the Eagle tried to get close enough to maybe do something useful T6.

Magic was again massive with a 12v6 split. I start off with a 5D6 Mindrazor on the Archers, which goes off with IF. I wound both mages once and the rest of the PD are drained. No matter, this was all that was needed for my plan to work.

In combat, the Archers win against the Grail Knights but they pass their LD test. The Lions win easily against the Pegasi and reform to gain a couple of inches on the character-bus.

:: Bretonnia Turn 5 ::

Both busses charge in, however the character-one is 1" short (he needed 9+ on swiftstride), just what I gained by the reform! Magic is insignificant and in combat I win easily, the 2+ ward vs fire helping my characters out greatly. To add insult to injury, the Archers win and break the GK, running them down to net even more VP. The Knights of the Realm hold and we move to T6.

:: Turn 6 ::

The Swordmasters try and help the Lions, but are too far away. The Eagle moves to block the last bus. Magic sees me start with a 5D6 Fate of Bjuna on his BSB, which goes off with IF! The result is snake eyes, but again I manage to dodge the 1-3, saving the mage in the process. Some lions and knights die in the ensuing explosion, however I roll snake eyes for amount of hits as well, so no effect there. I win combat easily, the Prophetess survives but breaks and is caught. His last turn sees the Eagle die a valiant death, and with that the game was over.

:: Victory Points ::

Tallying up, I was roughly 1400 points ahead, in other words a 19-1 victory to the High Elves!

:: Evaluation ::

This game could easily have been 0-20. When I failed the Lions` reform, I was in bad shape. Luckily, I was able to get out of it, by the skin of my teeth. In general the dice were with me when I needed them to be, giving me big magic phases, crucial D3 results on Withering etc. Strange on the other hand experienced the opposite: trebuchets missing big, magic being useless, charges failing and armour not saving a thing.

However, I did do some things right. My main mistake was to over-commit against the Pegasi - completely uncalled for. I basically viewed every flying unit as a major threat, when in fact I could`ve coped with them rather easily in other ways than I did. The Swordmasters ended up being largely useless, but this was mostly because of deployment. I should`ve had the entire Western flank further West, to give room for 3 blocks fairly central in my lines.

Spellwise I felt Shadow was way bigger than Death here. I was very lucky with the selection. The problem is that there was never a good time to cast D&D since I couldn`t force any tests, and I should`ve discarded Fate of Bjuna since it cannot be boosted beyond 12", as opposed to Caress. With that being said, if Strange had let through a miasma followed by a PS, that could`ve obliterated vast amounts of his army in the blink of an eye.

The Reaver Bow didn`t really have that big of an effect here. Sure, it got me a kill here and there and probably made its points back, but it forces me to leave a lot of other things at home. Will have to play more to figure out what I want this guy to do. The chariot should`ve been placed on the Western flank to help against the Pegasi, in the middle it mostly had a really awkward situation. While it taunted the GK to charge early on, which really bought me some precious time, I feel I could`ve used it better.

The army composition was fine and I like its potential. I might get a game on next week.

As always, C&C appreciated ;)

rusty

#1428 Post by rusty »

Lots of luck involved, and you're both out of practice. I'd suggest a rematch when you've both have gotten some games in.

I like the way magic worked here, but your rolls were very non-standard. That many big phases and bad miscasts. On the other hand, you have a history of miscasting...

Interesting game :)
Army blog: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=43579
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#1429 Post by Elithmar »

I suppose it would be ideal to get unlucky in non tournament games so one can improve one's playing, and lucky in tournaments for obvious reasons.

Anyway, well done. :)
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1430 Post by Curu Olannon »

@rusty - we'll likely have a rematch shortly, though the lists may change some (or entirely ;) ). As for miscasts, I'm getting used to it. I'm surprised the mages survived, although I think they were both down to 1W at the end!

@Elithmar of Lothern - good point, good point. One thing which is bad with regards to having poor luck in practice games though is that people tend to become too afraid to make risky moves - even when they should. I've had this happen to myself before and it's something you need to be aware of in order to bring your a-game.

Jimmy
Centurion

#1431 Post by Jimmy »

Hey Curu

Great to see you trying out the dual Archmage build. Seems very powerful since you first revealed it to me through those ETC lists many moons ago.

Thanks for sharing the battle report.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1432 Post by Curu Olannon »

Jimmy wrote:Hey Curu

Great to see you trying out the dual Archmage build. Seems very powerful since you first revealed it to me through those ETC lists many moons ago.

Thanks for sharing the battle report.
It`s an interesting build for sure :) I have a little announcement though which might quickly put this to an end...

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1433 Post by Curu Olannon »

Ok so as you all probably know by now, the new Warriors of Chaos are out. As with any other Warhammer-enthusiast I've been excited to see what they've managed to come up with and I think the book really has delivered. With the exceptions of a couple of brainfarts and incredibly strong things, I think it's a really well-made book which will make for interesting games.

However, there is one single thing which appeals to me beyond everything else... The Chimerae: a flying monster in the special section: you have got to be kidding me?! I said recently that if the new High Elves come out with Drakes that I'll do my best to make them work. Christmas came early, there is no reason why I can't just play High Elves using Chaos rules. While this might seem off, I think it's perfectly legit: they are quite similar in playstyle (combat-oriented, high-skilled) and I can use HE-based models to proxy a Chaos army. Essentially, I want to play with more big Dragons and monsters. As such, the following list has been shaped and I intend to playtest it in the coming weeks:

Lord Dragon Talisman of Endurance Mark of Tzeentch Charmed Shield Warrior`s Bane Soul Feeder => 600 Will be using the current dragon model
Sorceror Lvl 2 Dispel Scroll Enchanted Shield Relic Sword => 190 Will just take a normal mage
Exalted BSB Mark of Tzeentch Talisman of Preservation Scaly Skin Shield Tormentor Sword => 218 Have a lot of bits lying around, can make a conversion for a BSB on foot

Characters: 1008

13 Warriors
- Mark of Nurgle
- Halberds
- Full Command
- Banner of Swiftness
=> 292 Phoenix Guard on Microarts Studios custom 25x25mm bases

13 Warriors
- Mark of Tzeentch
- Shields
- Champion, Musician
=> 239 I'll either see if there are some decent Elves like this in other model ranges. If not, there are ample conversion opportunities. With only 13, getting cool swords and big shields shouldn't be a problem

5 Warhounds Vanguard => 40 Elven Steeds, most likely
5 Warhounds Vanguard => 40

1 Chariot, Mark of Slaanesh => 115 Likely some kind of Elven monster. Will have to look through old Warhammer lore for inspiration
1 Chariot, Mark of Slaanesh => 115

Core: 841

1 Chimerae Breath Weapon Regeneration => 275 Dragons! They need to be smaller than the Carmine Dragon, but apart from that I have no requirements.
1 Chimerae Breath Weapon Regeneration => 275

Special: 550

Total: 2399

The thing is that last game I realized just how much I like to play with mobility-based lists. Yes, throwing magic around like crazy was fun (no, miscasting was not. It never is). However, although I have a analytical approach to magic, I think I'm better at utilizing what a mobile list presents me with. I can live with having cannons as a weakness, they're relatively few and far between. This list is aimed at the comp I posted recently and it has the added benefit of synergizing with the playstyle I use with the ETC HE Dragonlord.

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#1434 Post by Elithmar »

Hmm, interesting. Are you still going to use HE alongside them?

You could use the warpfire dragon (think that's its name) from Forge World as a chimera, although price might be an issue.
Last edited by Elithmar on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1435 Post by Curu Olannon »

Elithmar of Lothern wrote:Hmm, interesting. Are you still going to use HE alongside them?

You could use the warpfire dragon (think that's it's name) from Forge World as a chimera, although price might be an issue.
The idea is to use WoC mainly for the OMSK comp games, but if I really like the list then it shouldn't be hard to convert it for ETC. I assume ETC are going to comp the chimerae to 0-1, in which case I put the BSB on a disc and add 3 Skullcrushers or something like that :)

Thanks for the tip! It`s a cool model but doesn`t fit in a High Elf army. Remember, I`m still going for the High Elf feel!

Dark Reaper

#1436 Post by Dark Reaper »

I am really considering putting the BSB on a daemonic mount. He gains an extra wound and is not overly worried about cannonballs even when in an infantry unit. The biggest benefit however is that he is M8 and monstrous cavalry and so will be able to screen your dragon (or DP in my case) from cannonballs.
[url=http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=74746]My Dark Elf Army Blog[/url]
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1437 Post by Curu Olannon »

Dark Reaper wrote:I am really considering putting the BSB on a daemonic mount. He gains an extra wound and is not overly worried about cannonballs even when in an infantry unit. The biggest benefit however is that he is M8 and monstrous cavalry and so will be able to screen your dragon (or DP in my case) from cannonballs.
Something like this?

Exalted BSB on Daemonic Steed with barding:
- shield
- warrior bane
- talisman of preservation
- third eye of tzeentch
- mark of tzeentch
=> 1+ armour, 3W, 3+ ward with re-rolls of 1`s? In addition he sports 6 attacks @S5 plus stomp. Hmm, I like it!

John Rainbow

#1438 Post by John Rainbow »

I don't know if you're up for it but Ptolemy has done some pretty wicked conversions using DPs as the basis for his Slaneesh Skull Crushers. It could be a good place to start for some inspiration.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#1439 Post by Curu Olannon »

John Rainbow wrote:I don't know if you're up for it but Ptolemy has done some pretty wicked conversions using DPs as the basis for his Slaneesh Skull Crushers. It could be a good place to start for some inspiration.
Took a look at them. They clearly look elvish, but in an evil way. I`m looking for a sinister, but `good` feel: sort of the way the black High Elves are now ;)

Thinking about the list I quickly realized that Dark Reaper is correct: using the BSB as a Cannon blocker is brilliant. The mobility is also really nice and he simply doesn`t need a unit to go with. M8 isn`t flying, by far, but it sure is closer to keeping up with the Dragons than M4.

Updated list:
Exalted BSB Mark of Tzeentch Talisman of Preservation Warrior`s Bane Shield Daemonic Mount Barding Third Eye of Tzeentch => 258
Exactly 40 points more expensive, which means that a unit of Warhounds disappears.

As for models, I think I will make the Tzeentch Warriors by having Spearelves` legs and Dragon Princes torsos, with varying swords. At least that`s the thought for starters. For Chimeraes, I`ll take the HE + DE dragons and try and convert them, for the HE I want to try and replicate the firebreathing thing which can be found in the P&M section. For the DE one I´m a little unsure.

The Warhounds and Chariots are still undecided. I`ll gladly take input here :)

John Rainbow

#1440 Post by John Rainbow »

Curu Olannon wrote:The Warhounds and Chariots are still undecided. I`ll gladly take input here :)
Could you use some of the old dragon models from GW - like the ones you use for eagles - as Warhounds? Or are they too big?