HE MSU in the Old World - Game 1 - 2000 vs Warriors of Chaos - 2024/03/04

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Galharen
Master of Brushes

Re: MSU HE - good bye 9th Age, Moving to KoW

#1141 Post by Galharen »

You asked if this will be ever finished 8)
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1142 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Well, I guess it was rhetorical question. :) We both know that it is just 1st "official" version that will be further updated prior to ETC 2016. I also believe it was said it is a living project and they aim to regularly update it.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#1143 Post by Ferny »

I expect it will never be finished in a sense, but there will (should) be stable periods with limited or no changes. But if it ever were 'finished' in its entirity it would become stale. I loved it when new army books came out and the meta changed - the feel I get now is like that but *all* the army books are coming out. Hopefully as the project goes on the big changes will stabalise until we get into a phase of meta-shifting updates, like when GW updated army books within editions :).
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1144 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

The constant support is a must. But it is also a direction it is going. AoS has a constant support too.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#1145 Post by Ferny »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:The constant support is a must. But it is also a direction it is going. AoS has a constant support too.
Yeah, but it's not a massed fantasy battle game ;-). Id rather play a dying 8th with no support than AoS. Luckily I don't have to; T9A fills the niche im after perfectly and KoW offers an alternative system that isn't fan made. If it weren't for the fact that the community is so damn fractured so its harder to get a game, I'm a reasonably happy bunny with my options now.

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1146 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Are you sure? Because AoS is the system where you can use your entire collection. :)

Anyway, had another game in KoW today so expect a new report soon.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1147 Post by SpellArcher »

It's a sad irony because MSU Swordmasters look very good to me in 9th Age.

Hope the KoW continues to go well SM.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1148 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

MSU SM were always good, SA :)

I do enjoy KoW at the moment. I think it is partially because I managed to learn the basics and can focus on practicing. We started playing scenarios now that of course add another dimension. It will also take some time for me before I manage to play against all the armies out there at least once. There are 20 army lists in total and people are now trying to understand what they can do.

I have just finished preparing diagrams from the most recent game where I faced Forces of Abyss but this time in the Loot scenario.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1149 Post by SpellArcher »

Yeah, I guess it takes time to move from 'know the rules' to a deeper understanding.

What I meant was, Swordmasters picked up a free +1 to hit and now strike before almost everything. I can't see a downside.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1150 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Oh, I am far away from deeper understanding yet :) But it is definitely helpful to grasp the basics of the movement. My first two games were examples of how not to do it. But fortunately for me I think I learned fast enough how should I move my units so they don't block each other. The way they move in KoW is significantly different and I am simply trying what I can achieve with those I have.

Yes, I know SM are better. Not sure about the details at the moment because different options were suggested/implemented. In my opinion they didn't really lack in terms of damage they can do. It was always about getting them relatively intact to the combat and against the enemy they can hurt.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Iluvatar

#1151 Post by Iluvatar »

Hi Swordmaster,
Thanks for replying. :)
I don't want to derail your blog too much, but it wouldn't be polite to not answer you, so here I go!
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:1. Rules complexity - The amount and frequency of changes will decrease in time. However, the complexity and amount of special rules to learn will not. At least nothing really points towards that direction now.
Yes, that's one failure of the 9th Age at the current time. One of the objectives was to "streamline" rules to have a simpler game. For this, the initial TACs were much better than the current rules... when I see some units with 10 special rules (ex: Necrotic Engine for Vampire Covenant), it's simply too much for my taste. Add to this that many people want customization of entries as well, you get a single model that can have too many different rules in different games...
To me, that failure comes from primarily from community wish-listing which got implemented in beta army books... which leads to:
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:2. Community aspect - I was more disappointed with the fact that people who are involve army books writing often do not show self-constraint and they are the source of the power creep.
Yes, definitely. Several army books show that their designers failed in keeping things simple and balanced. My guess is that those people won't last in the staff.
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:3. Management of the project - that is the main problem to me. This project is not community driven anymore, is highly hierarchical and Rules Team or Executive Board (does that sound like a community project with names like that?) becomes more and more restrictive as what people can and cannot discuss.
I do understand what you mean, or rather what you would have like, but to me it's just in complete opposition to your second point. The problem that lead to power creep was that "the community" as a whole can't keep things balanced. Which is why you need some authority on top of the writers... but this authority, currently, is overloaded with work and can appear as distant as GW authors. :(

In other words: without Rules Team or Executive Board, you can get no balance. With them, the distance to a "community work" seems very far... How can we get the best of both worlds?
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:I was sad to learn that while Warhammer was killed by the company that created it, the last nail to the coffin was dealt by my fellow players.
We'll see. I'm still praying every day! :lol:
Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Kings of War is a different game and I think it deserves to be treated as unique system that it is. It is way too early for me to say if it really is what the creators advertise. It will take time to learn it because there are now 20 different army lists and if you add allies to the mix then the number of possibilities is huge. Many players are really new, despite experience with other games so I guess it will take time before some kind of stability or balance will be reached here too.

However, between the two games, which I found I need to learn from scratch anyway, there are many more positives for me in KoW and I enjoyed my games far more than these in 9th Age.

I hope my future battle reports will remain entertaining and that I will indeed find KoW to be the game that is easy to learn but hard to master.

Cheers!
Indeed it is!
It's not a "Warhammer" bis nor a straight replacement. I hope that the numerous WH players coming to play it will respect the former community (like I know you will) - I've read threads about "organizing the community", "creating a tournament tour" and such, written by old WH players come to KoW, that would have disgusted me if I were a long-term KoW player...

Please, let us know how much fun you have with the game and keep sharing with us, if you have enough time. The trouble is that I don't know how many replies you'll get here, which will be disappointing...

Cheers,
Iluvatar
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1152 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Iluvatar,

Thanks a lot for taking time and addressing my comments! :)

I really, really would like 9th Age to succeed. Simply because if it does it is going to show that there is no need for any company to control the project for it to be alive and growing.

It is definitely a huge undertaking and I am sure people will stumble many times. In addition to the problems they may have predicted there are tons that are so new and unique that they will need to adapt on the spot to solve them.

I will see where it goes after some time. It might be that I, myself, also need to take a break from it and try to have a fresh look at it. Hence, I decided to focus on something else anyway but will read the rules when they are branded as first official version and will see what then.

But if you or anybody else is interested in discussing its development further, let me know! I don't mind discussing it at all!

I think it is understandable that some of the veterans got upset by the way newcomers behaved. Sometimes it is just because you have new people and they simply don't know they talk to the vets who kind of expect to be treated in a special way :) Sometimes it is indeed because new people want to do things their own way without looking at those who laid foundations for the things they try to take over.

After a few lessons on the forums I try to focus on the game itself. It is worth supporting people who organize events, even if they get overenthusiastic about it :) But mainly, I try to play games and see how I can write about them so they are entertaining. While I can learn more about the armies when doing so.

Time is always a luxury but after a few trials I think it is still ok to spend a little extra editing the report I wrote for my blog so that it can be posted on the forum. I could simply copy-paste the link but I am afraid it would not help the readers at all. I noticed before that when people just post the links to other places the same report is not read/watched as many times as if they got there with the first click.

But it does not take that much time and who knows, maybe it will help more people to got interested with yet another game. Not better or worse, just different but that, in my opinion, definitely deserves a chance.

As long as I get games organized I will be posting reports for sure! And maybe something more too :)

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

TradeMark

#1153 Post by TradeMark »

Howdy bud,

So in the vein of KoW discussion, I'm curious as to how you'd approach an Ogre gunline list like the one I've been fiddling with.

3x Horde Shooters (36" Piercing (2))
-1 w/ Keeness (+1 to hit at range)
-1 w/ Fire Oil (mostly to knock out phoenix as flyers are the primary concern)

2x Horde Boomers (Breath Weapons)

5x Troop Red Goblin Scouts
-1 w/ Crystal Pendant of Retribution (Run this directly at the scariest enemy armor unit and watch them back peddle)

2x Ogre Army Standards

1x Boomer Captain w/ Inspire item (can't remember it off hand)

13 drops and surprisingly few matter due to range and speed of the units. The biggest issue that my opponents have seen has been how fast the damage is output per target and how clogged up they get from scouts. The fact that scouts can charge and attempt a break without consequence (since they are meant to die anyway) has seen that units, after a single round of fire, break rather unexpectedly from the charge of redirectors. Ogres natural resilience means combat is generally not too big of an issue once it does get down and dirty as the CS1 & Brutal inherent in the ranged units makes combat actually preferable to shooting once a few wounds are allocated. Ogre characters have the advantage of gaining the bonuses from from rear and flank charges, so even they become a bit scary once the # of units has dwindled on the opposing side. I don't think a shooting unit has gotten charged by a non-flying unit yet due to the # of redirectors and ability to clog the battlefield while knocking wounds off units.

Your thoughts on how to combat with your current list? I've found that the lack of charge reactions and limited overrun (not starting a new combat) has made the Ogre gunline/counter charge VERY strong.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1154 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

HI TradeMark,

Thanks a lot for your post and sorry for a delay in replying.

The list you described is very interesting and dangerous indeed.

Let me start with lowly Scouts. I am a great supporter and enthusiast of fast cavalry. I think they are great but not easy to use in KoW. Red Goblins are, in my opinion, a very useful tool, not to be underestimated. They look and probably are often used as throw away units but they be quite problematic. First, they can get a few wounds with Me4+ and TC1. That means they are perfect for shutting down shooting hordes but also disrupting the enemy heavy cavalry.

As such they would be my priority actually, also because I rely on movement phase a lot so I need advantage in the support units warfare. Fortunately, I am equipped to do so with dispersed shooting that can pick the units that are not in the range for inspire presence. In particular the unit with that nasty suicidal mission! While not the most expensive troops they are not super cheap either and I would be happier without them on the battle field.

The shooting hordes are scary. Fortunately, they have Reload and Ra5+ (with the exception of one unit) so any piece of cover significantly reduces the efficiency of the Shooters. At the same time Boomers might hit more often but they have shorter range. I expect this army to deploy in 2 lines more or less, as scouts would provide additional protection in the form of cover. It also allows Ogres behind to counter any attackers that would charge the scouts.

As you said, attacking a unit with something fast to prevent it from shooting is not as great idea as usual because with so many attacks, Me4+ and CS1 they actually may like melee more than shooting. It makes this army very versatile and that is the danger.

I would need to accept that I will be losing units every turn. In the situation like this I think it is important then to choose myself which units would go down first. Since scouts have TC but my PG hits harder, I guess double line with Spears followed by PG would be a good idea. Bolt Throwers would seek the spots where they cannot be reached without moving there. It might be difficult if he deploys close to the deployment edge but possible.

I would need to make sure all is in Inspiring Range, at least at the beginning. At the same time I learned that it pays off to be aggressive (but not reckless) so I would like to deploy in the way that, e.g., allows heavy cavalry and Drakons to have cover but also be constantly ready to charge. And while Ogres have good Nerve values they are wider and might have problems with withstanding even the frontal charge from 2+ units.

I think such game would be brutal but short. If I can get his scouts fast and then charge some of his units with at least 2 units of mine I have a chance. If not, I am toasted :)

I would probably try to get his Boomers first too because they are much more flexible.

I know these are pretty vague but I haven't played against these guys yet, in any configuration. But that is my current theoretical.

Let me know what you think!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

TradeMark

Re: MSU Elves - Outcasts in Mantica

#1155 Post by TradeMark »

No worries, happy to have a convo!

I think you're right in that you have to accept losses in order to engage. I normally follow one of two deployments, based on the battle field- either a weighted ranged flank or a mid covered (such as you describe in your two lines comment). Both start with similar deployments, scouts on far flanks then one in the center, then begin to diverge. The weighted range flank then deploys the boomers centrally and determines where the shooters will go by the movement avenues and opponent drops. Here the idea is to flood mv 10 troops into flanking positions while continuing to fire. In this, the shooter are often further back in deployment due to the 36" range and it usually takes until T3 to get in charge ranges. The two lines you've pretty much figured out as being a more centralized deploy with shooters and a flanking boomer per side in order to adapt.

I think your idea of hitting the scouts has a flaw in that if you concentrate early fire then you are suffering from 4-5 wounds a turn per shooter unit likely. I might recommend bolt throwering the +1 shooters ASAP as they can put out an obscene amount of damage over 3 turns. I actually go with a very Ogre-y, no inspire after deployment for any and all scouts as they are only there to distract, so picking them off would be easy, however it opens up longer periods of fire. I'd be thinking about screening your Drakon riders with light cav and sacrifice them for a strong direct charge in order to overrun past the Shooters perhaps. If you can punch the line maybe you can break the shooting arcs before suffering too much damage.

Hmm, mayhaps when I'm back from holiday we can set up a match. I'd be curious as to how your plan would go as I've noticed that the more units on the board, the better this army has performed due to the movement arcs getting clogged and the difficulty in breaking an Ogre unit on the charge as it's difficult to line up double teams. Then again, there is no more stand and shoot!
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1156 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi TradeMark,

Yes, I am happy to have some KoW talk going too! :)

It is always hard to maintain that discipline when people shoot at you. Even few wounds can make some players too nervous and do something reckless. I am sure I would be hard pressed in that situation myself. That 36" range is a huge bonus, despite Ra5+ and reload because it is easier to keep the unit further away and have wider area to control. Of course the details are important, the terrain, the scenario etc. but nevertheless it always forces your opponent to do some hard work.

I thought about what you mentioned, i.e. whom to shoot at myself at the beginning of the game. And I still think I'd better go after scouts because Ogres will benefit from cover. It means that Archers might need 6+ to hit (if at all in range) while everything else is 5+. Interestingly, both units have the same Defense but I'd rather clear the scouts first to have freedom of movement. It is even more important when, as you said, there are more units on the battlefield. I will need teams to get rid of any of your Ogre hordes and the quicker I can clear the path towards one the better.

Sure, let me know and if time permits we might test our theoreticals on the battle field!

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

TradeMark

#1157 Post by TradeMark »

PM me me when you've got the chance to throwdown. I've also been working on a new FoN list- mostly for the modelling, but you might want to think about checking them out. I dunno if you are thinking of every making another list, but I think they'd REALLY suit your style of play. Pathfinder on everything and a multitude of unit types that look phenomenal for MSU play.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1158 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

@TradeMark

I have just sent you PM. I am really sorry for being late but I haven't received any notification of PM awaiting reply and I haven't logged in to the forum for quite a long time.

I was considering writing a longer post since beginning of the year is a good time for doing so but I might need to postpone it. Real life took over again. The good news is I am coming back to Oz! unfortunately, I missed the biggest gaming convention down under, CanCon, and it was a great success for KoW.

Hopefully I will be able to settle down sooner than later but there are a lot of things to be organized this time. I will do my best to play and report regularly but at this stage cannot guarantee that at all.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#1159 Post by Ferny »

Where have you been SM - anywhere exotic? (Mind you, to me Oz is about as exotic as it comes :D !). Was there any gaming to be had there?

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1160 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Ferny,

Not really :) I was back home in Europe for several months fixing things and organizing a lot for the brighter future. One of the tasks was accomplished after a lot of work and that is why I can now come back to Australia for permanent stay.

In theory I had some opportunities to play (everything in Europe seems to be so close now! :)) and I even had my miniatures with me for that occasion. However, a combination of identity crisis we all went through after the death of 8th edition and real life issues meant it was far easier to organize games on UB. That is why I posted some reports at all.

I know that people in Australia are playing KoW among other games at the moment. As I said, I was sad I could not attend the biggest gaming event this year, CanCon, as there were 46 players attending KoW tournament. That is, up to date, the biggest tournament in the world and while it does not look special for Warhammer veterans, remember it is just the beginning.

I saw the pictures from the tournament and the tables and armies (and I mean ARMIES!) looked fantastic. Reading the feedback on wargamerau I can see people are really drawn into the game so I expect it will grow in popularity even further. It is a very interesting situation because KoW attracted attention of many veteran players who dropped Warhammer before or at the beginning of 8th edition. Hence now you have a mix of the Old Guard and 8th edition veterans, as well as people who know both groups. Can't wait to see how it looks live!

Hopefully I will have enough time for regular games and reports, as usual but, as I have mentioned already, I will have a lot on my plate.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1161 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hello,

It seems one has a far better chance to win a lottery ticket with some record award than to receive any feedback in the battle report sections these days. Even more so if the report is about KoW. While I can understand some of the reasons it is still really sad. Not wanting to abandon Ulthuan (yet, as this thought returns to me over and over again and there are fewer and fewer reasons to stay) as many have done already I decided it would make more sense to keep updating this blog alone, usually with just an intro to a new battle report.

I have just finished another one where I played against Kingdoms of Men army with the Brotherhood allies (think Empire + Bretonnia):

Kingdoms of Men

40 Footguard, Horde, Dwarven Ale - 235
- 10 Militia Mob* - 50
- 10 Militia Mob* - 50
- 10 Militia Mob* - 50
- Wizard, Hero, Bane Chant (2), Lightning Bolt (3), Inspiring Talisman - 85

40 Bowmen, Horde, Brew of Keen-eyeness - 210

10 Knights, Regiment, Maccwar's Potion of the Caterpillar - 215
- 5 Knights, Troop - 125
- 5 Mounted Sergeants, Troop - 105
- General, Hero, Warhorse - 120

10 Knights, Regiment, Blessing of the Gods - 220
- Hero, Hero, Warhorse, War-bow of Kaba - 70

Brotherhood Allies

10 Order of the Brotherhood, Regiment - 205

10 Order of Redemption, Regiment - 260

Deployment

Here is the link to the full battle report:

Game 16 - Kingdoms of Men - 2016/04/08

Thanks.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rowena

Re: MSU Elves - Kingdoms of Men - 8/04

#1162 Post by Rowena »

Well, it is kind of hard to comment on a report from a system one does not know. :) There was some talk about a united webpage for all three elf races, embracing all possible game systems. That could hopefully help. Who knows how it ends though.

What I think I see is that in KoW battles, one seems seem to need to move really decisively in order to win. Some cheap unit goes far forward and sacrifices itself but behind it, a menacing force awaits, ready to avenge them. For example, in your battle, SW2 got exposed and destroyed but it allowed you to kill those knights in return.

For some reason, though, those moves did not work for your opponent. After the big advance on the right flank Turn 1, I was expecting the drakons were about to be charged by that big and scary brotherhood unit but it did not happen. As a result, it allowed the drakons to hop behind those black units (an excelent manoeuvre by the way). On the other flank, the small militias blocked the foot guard instead of protecting it.

Not sure if this means anything other that I am reinventing the wheel. :) But from the very few reports I have seen, it seems a good management of those units is crucial.

Anyway, thank you very much for the report (and for keeping Ulthuan afloat). And should you ever play a game in T9A, I would be probably able to provide a bit more input. :)

Until then, let the dice gods always give you an enjoyable game! :)

Marchosias
My painting blog
Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1163 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Marchosias!

Many thanks for your comments and apologies for such a long delay in replying. I don't visit Ulthuan that often these days, so was not even aware that there is anything to reply to!

I really appreciate your feedback because you are observant wargamer. You may not know the details but you can still see the patterns and put the situation on the battle field in a new perspective. Thanks a lot for taking time and providing comments, I really appreciate it!

My initial experience tells me that indeed it is important to be decisive. You don't have to be aggressive but if you hesitate then it may (and often is) be your undoing. There are also players who would share your opinion that you need a cheap bait in order to pull enemy units out of formation or to stop their advance. And then have your own hard hitters to attack first and rout the enemy on the charge.

That can happen but is not the only option available. In the last game I saw that opportunity, charged with cheaper troop of heavy cavalry and managed to get into better positions to attack later on. However, you don't always have the chance to destroy the foe on the charge (that is why people like horde formations, as they have high Nerve value and would hold against any attackers in one-on-one combats).

It is the reason why people also try to use their units to move to the flanks as the attacks from that direction are far more devastating.

My opponent planned to attack Darkon Riders in the fashion you described but made a mistake by not moving the unit he wanted to attack with close enough. That allowed me to destroy his mounted sergeants and stay out of his charge range. The fly over is very often used with the fliers as once they are behind enemy lines they can project much bigger threat.

It is also correct about Militia blocking Foot Guard instead. I made that mistake with my fast cavalry in the game against Loriel long time ago. I think it just requires more practice on how to use such expendable units as baits/road blockers but not stay in the way of your own army.

I think you read the battle very well. There are many moments where you need to exchange units for either time or space so that you can maneuver the rest better. And then strike harder to make up for the losses. If you can dictate what and when is exchanged then you definitely have an upper hand.

The units in KoW move differently but the game is not as static as I was afraid of after first battle reports I have watched or read. So yes, maneuvering well is very important and that is what makes this game so appealing.

I am afraid there is no chance for me to get back to 9th age. While I support the people behind it I said many times I don't think it is a game for me anymore. In fact, after getting accustomed with much neater rules for KoW I am surprised I put up with such complexity in Warhammer for so long. I understand it is still something that appeals to many players but I am not among them anymore.

I don't think I am the one who is keeping Ulthuan afloat :) Nobody seems to be that much interested in Battle Report section now (and it always had fewer replies than other sub-forums). There seem to be a bit more movement in 9th Age but ironically, T9A forum took away a lot of HE players and they contribute heavily over there. In fact, I have a feeling they do more on T9A than they ever done on Ulthuan before. Would T9A be, paradoxically, a last nail to the coffin of army specific forums?

Thanks for the kind words anyway! I have another report for you, if you are interested. Check the links in the following post.

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1164 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hello,

I have recently participated in a local event. It was 4 games, 2500 points, one day tournament. Here is the link to the introduction:

Kings of Dave 4 - Introduction

In my first game I played against a Goblin army that had:

Goblins -Army List

60 Rabble, Legion - 180
- War-Trombone, War Engine - 65
- Mincer , Monster - 80
- King on a Fleabag , Hero, Boots of the Seven Leagues - 145

40 Spitters, Horde, Heart-seeking Chant - 170
- War-Trombone, War Engine - 65
- Giant, Monster - 190
- Flaggit , Hero - 40

20 Spitters, Regiment - 85
- Big Rock Thrower, War Engine - 80

10 Mawbeast Pack, Regiment - 95

10 Fleabag Riders, Regiment - 145
- 5 Fleabag Riders, Troops - 95 - 5 Fleabag Riders, Troops - 95

6 Trolls, Horde, Brew of Haste - 205
- Wiz on Fleabag, Hero, Bane Chant - 75

6 Trolls, Horde - 190
- Giant, Monster - 190
- Magwa & Jo'os, Hero - 110

Deployment

Deployment after vanguard moves

Here is the link to the full report:

Game 17 - Goblins - 2016/05/22

Thanks!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Orchaldor

Re: MSU Elves - Goblins - 22/05

#1165 Post by Orchaldor »

Hi Swordmaster!

Another fascinating report, like you I would love to have seen what might have happened if the game had gone to the end!

Facing a Legion is quite intimidating, my first ever game of KoW was against a zombie Legion (in a 750pt game!!!), which I quickly realised I couldn't take on directly - even with perfect dice rolls, my maximum damage couldn't break him without getting crushed by return attacks (I did eventually get the zombies, but I had to whittle him down a lot with shooting first).

I look forward to your next awesome report :)
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: MSU Elves - Goblins - 22/05

#1166 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

@ Orchaldor

Thanks a lot! Great to know that there are still some readers who enjoy KoW battle reports, as in general it seems members of ulthuan.net are playing different games.

Yes, Legions do look intimidating and they can soak up a lot of damage. But at the same time they are more difficult to maneuver and you can send many regiments of your own to hit it from the front too. It also seems that Legions are usually made of poor quality troops so it may be easier to deal the damage against them.

As to the next report, here is the teaser of the most recent one. In game 2 I played against Empire of Dust:

Empire of Dust - Army List

40 Revenants, Horde, Casket of the Damned - 210
- Balefire Catapult, War Engine - 100
- Ahmunite Pharaoh, Hero, Wings of Honeymaze - 195

40 Skeleton Archers, Horde - 165
- Balefire Catapult, War Engine - 100
- Revenant Champion on Warm, Hero - 135

40 Skeleton Archers, Horde - 165
- Monolith, War Engine - 80
- Cursed Priest, Hero, Breath (12) + Vicious, Mounted - 155

20 Mummies, Regiment, Casket of the Damned - 180
- Idol of Shobik, Hero - 350

6 Enslaved Guardians, Horde, Casket of the Damned - 255
- Mortibris the Necormancer, Hero (from the Destiny of Kings campaign) - 210

6 Swarm, Horde, Crystal Pendant of Retribution - 150

Deployment of the armies.

Final deployment after vanguard

Here is the link to the full report:

Gam 18 - Empire of Dust - 2016/05/28

Thanks!
Last edited by Swordmaster of Hoeth on Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: MSU Elves - 2500 vs Empire of Dust - 28/05

#1167 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hello,

In the game 3 of Kings of Dave 4 event I played against Orcs with an allied contingent of Goblins:

Orcs - Army List

40 Ax, Horde - 205
- War Drum, Monster - 80
- Krudger on Slasher with Wings, Hero, Medallion of Life (Regeneration 5+) - 315

20 Morax, Regiment, Blessing of the Gods (Elite) - 225
- Giant, Monster - 190
- Gakamak, Mounted, Hero - 240

20 Morax, Regiment - 200

10 Gore Riders, Regiment, Maccwar’s Potion of the Caterpillar (Pathfinder) - 205

10 Gore Riders, Regiment, Brew of Haste (+1 Speed) - 185

Goblins Allies

20 Rabble, Regiment - 75
- Big Rock Throwers, War Engine - 80

20 Rabble, Regiment - 75

6 Trolls, Horde - 190

Deployment of the armies

Deployment after vanguard.

For a full report follow the link below:

Game 19 - Orcs & Goblins - 2016/06/02

Thanks!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

RE.Lee

Re: MSU Elves - 2500 vs Orcs & Goblins - 05/06

#1168 Post by RE.Lee »

Good to see your battle reports coming in, keep those Elves sharp!

I'm still enjoying the pictures, but I've no idea about KoW :lol:
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1169 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

I am always happy to answer any questions you might have. :)

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#1170 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi guys,

In the last game of Kings of Dave 4 I played against Abyssal Dwarfs.

Abyssal Dwarfs - Army List

40 Blacksouls, Horde - 190
- G'rog Mortar, War Engine - 100
- Overmaster on Abyssal Dragon, Hero, The Fog - 315

20 Blacksouls, Regiment - 115
- Overmaster on Abyssal Dragon, Hero, Medallion of Life - 315

6 Lesser Obsidian Golems, Horde - 210
- Abyssal Halfbreed Champion, Hero - 160

10 Abyssal Halfbreeds, Regiment - 195

6 Abyssal Grotesques, Horde - 250

Deployment

Deployment after Vanguard

For the details and the full report, please, follow this link:

[color=#0000FF]Battle 20 - Abyssal Dwarfs - 2016/06/10[/color]

Thanks!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth