2500 TK vs Beastmen - Meeting Engagement

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Jimmy
Centurion

2500 TK vs Beastmen - Meeting Engagement

#1 Post by Jimmy »

My list:

Level 4 - Earthing Rod
Level 4 - Scroll (lore of light)
Necrotect - dragon bane gem, iron curse
20 Archers - Std
20 Archers
2 x 5 Horse Archers
4 chariots - Std, Mus
2 x 6 Necro Knights - FC
Casket
Hierotitan
2 x SSC

Opponents List (from memory)

Doombull - Ram Horn Helm, 1+ re-rollable
Level 4 Shadow - Scroll
2 x level 1 beasts - Herdstone
BSB - +1 Leadership

5 dogs
40 Gors - FC, XHW
3 tuskgor chariots
5 Ungor Raiders
25 Bestigor - FC
Razorgor Chariot
3 x Razorgor
4 Minotaurs - XHW

Scenario - Meeting engagement

Not deployed

TK - Necrotect, Hierotitan, SSC
Beastmen - Bestigor, Ungor, Dogs

Spell selection

Hierophant - Smiting, Vengeance, Dessication, Wind
Level 4 - Light of Battle, Birona's, Net, Gaze

Great Bray-Shaman - Miasma, Withering, Enfeebling Foe, Mindrazor
2 x Shaman - Wissans Wildform

Deployment:

TK win the roll off and opt to take first turn.

TK1

Units enter play. Light Priest enters building.

Magic - 9 vs 7

Light of Death on doombull - scrolled
Speed of light on NK

Shooting on Doombull does nil

Beastmen 1

doombull and minotaurs charge the horse archers but fail to make the distance!

Bestigor, 5 hounds and Ungor arrive to the battle.

Magic - 9 vs 6

Wissans is cast twice on the bestigor with one IF causing 7 dead bestigor and the remainind power dice being lost.

TK 2

Chariots charge into the Razorgor.

Magic - 10 vs 5

Desert wind is cast on the Hierotitan
Light of Death fails.
Dessication reduces the S & T of the doombull.

Shooting - nil

Combat - chariot unit loses a single model and kills the pig.

Beastmen 2

Razorgor chariot charges into the chariots but fails the distance!

The doombull and minotaurs repeat their charges from last turn making it easily.

(please excuse me as I didn't put the dogs in the right place, they deployed near the Northern knights)

Magic - 2 vs 1

Wissans goes through on the Gor

Shooting sees an arrow hit and wound the Level 4 light wizard in the building.

Combat

Horse archers are deleted, minos overrun 4" whilst doombull overruns 6".

TK 3

Chariots charge into the Razorgor chariot making the distance easily. The Necroknights slam into the dogs.

Magic - 4 vs 3

Spirit Leech onto Doombull is dispelled.

Birona's Timewarp is cast on the Necroknights not in combat.

Shooting

A SSC puts 2 wounds onto the Doombull. The second scatters. Archers pour fire into a pig (R3 - forgive my map, wasn't taking many photos this game) killing it and panicking the nearby other.

Combat

The Chariots put 3 wounds on the pig causing it to break however I fail to catch it but do slam into the flank of the Gor.

Necroknights kill the dogs and overrun into the Minotaurs.

Beastmen 3

Charges

Doombull charges into the Necroknights front supported by a single chariot as a second fails to make the distance. The northern chariot charges into the

Necropolis Knights.

West razorgor chariot rallies, north pig flees further.

Magic - 11 vs 6

Withering on the combat NK fails to cast.

2 attempts at Wissans on Gor are both dispelled.

Combat

The Necropolis knights take 3 wounds from the chariot and kill it in return, the champion challenges out the doombull taking 2 wounds in return however

the combat still holds.

The Northern Necropolis knights put 8 wounds onto the Minotaurs and 2 onto the chariot before taking only 2 wounds in return breaking the enemy. The

Knights pursue and cut down both the chariot and the Minotaurs.

Chariots cause 5 wounds with impact hits and take no damage in return. Gors reform to face them.

TK 4

Northern Knight swift reform to push past terrain.

Magic - 12 vs 7

Smiting and Bironas are cast on the Necropolis Knights, followed by Dessication onto the doombull.

Shooting

SSC lands a shot on the chariot killing it outright. Archers kill 2 ungor.

Combat

Chariots vs Gor (fail fear). Chariots take too much damage and crumble.

Necropolis Knight champion falls in combat, 3 wounds are crumbled.

Beastmen 4

Gor block declares a charge into the Necro Knights however fails to make the distance (Reform from last combat not shown).

Magic - 11 vs 4

Miasma is cast on the archers dropping their BS to 1.

Withering is cast onto the Necroknights however I scroll this.

Wissans is cast twice on the Bestigor.

Combat

Necroknights vs Doombull - Doombull does damage, I do none, crumble, 2 snakes remaining.

TK 5

NecroKnights charge into Ungor

Magic - 10 vs 6

Powered up Dessication goes off on the Gor dropping their S/T by -3.

In the shooting phase a SSC hits and drops 16 of the Gor panicking them but leaving them in range of the archers who drop another 14. That is art my

friends.

Combat

Necroknight die to the Doombull.

Ungor die to knights and overrun.

Beastmen 5

Gor rally on double 1's. :(

Doombull charges into the Hierophant (stupid placement on my part just not paying attention)

Razorgor chariot charges into the Knights.

Magic - 9 vs 6

Withering is once again attempted on the Knights but I dispel it. Miasma is cast on the knights dropping everything by 2. Lastly Enfeebling goes off

dropping their strength by 2.

Combat

Hiero dies, NK lose 1 to crumble.

Chariot does 5 wounds on the Necro Knights, 3 wounds crumble.

TK 6

Both SSC crumble.

Magic - 9 vs 5

Light of death is dispelled. Spirit leech does 2 wounds on the Doombull.

Shooting kills the remaining 2 Gor.

Combat

Necroknights kill the chariot.

Beast 6

Nothing to do.

Result

Draw

Interesting game.

As soon as we placed terrain and rolled the scenario I went into the game with a losing attitude. Facing off against the 1+ re-rollable doombull who

hits me back for every successful armour save he makes was frustrating. The only things I had to kill him with besides magic was a SSC shot on the head

so as soon as he hit my lines it was going to be an up hill battle all the way so I was pretty happy with a draw.

Some stupid mistakes on my part, firstly (and by means in no order!) casting all the buffs on the Knights whilst the champion was still in the challenge.

I could have spent those power dice elsewhere. Another huge stupid moment was leaving the Hierophant out in the open like that. Amatuer stuff indeed.

Unit rundowns:

Hierophant - Silly me, read above.
Level 4 - Not much to say.
Necrotect - The Regen certainly helped save at least 5-6 wounds so well worth it I feel.
40 Archers - Slotting that amount of Gor in a single turn with the assistance of magic was fantastic.
2 x 5 Horse Archers - Starting to love these guys as it forces your opponent to react to them.
4 chariots - Std, Mus - I literally through them away this game with a shitty deployment.
2 x 6 Necro Knights - FC - They were never going to kill the Doombull one on one so the best I could do was hold him up. Mission accomplished I guess.
Great for points denial as well.
Casket - Never leave home without it. :)
Hierotitan - As above, 2 dice most spells and they all get through. Spam magic phase FTW. If only I could get spirit leech in more often to get a few
more dice by my opponent is fairly wary of this.
2 x SSC - Lastly the ability to rain death on my opponent whilst sitting back. I don't think I'll drop these in a hurry.
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

Re: 2500 TK vs Beastmen - Meeting Engagement

#2 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Jimmy!

Thanks for battle report. Good to see your TK in action again. I think you are doing very well with this set up, some mistakes happen, even the silly ones, not expected to be made by experienced player. I just believe that looking at the bright side and focusing on how you can hurt the enemy is better approach :)

Btw, I don't seem to see pictures for TK4 and Beastmen5 turns. Is it only on my screen?

And one more question, did you think you are in bad match up due to scenario or more due to his list on its own?

Cheers!

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
dabber
Tactician

#3 Post by dabber »

Why did you keep Light of Battle? Unless there is a FAQ I'm not familiar with, it has basically no value for TK - combat resolution crumble is not a leadership test for undead.

Why deploy so far forward? As you said, you cannot touch the Doombull is combat, so deploy back, shoot, and delay combat for a while.
Jimmy
Centurion

#4 Post by Jimmy »

@dabber - Speed of light is what I got, ignore my typo. The spell is useful is your Hierophant dies but planning on that to happen is planning to lose I think! :lol:

Good point on the deployment, I think by deploying so far forward I could steal some initiative from my opponent as the army doesn't have the speed to do this in later turns.

@SM - Images are appearing for me?

On the match up that's an interesting question. The scenario was fine however we were playing with the maximum amount of scenery and when you're running the big units of snakes it can sometimes get very tight which equals frustration. Clearly I don't have any high strength attacks to deal with highly armoured non infantry units which thankfully only a few armies have access to so it's something in future I'm really going to have to be mindful of.

I wouldn't mind dropping a unit of snakes and replacing it with two warsphinxes however I wouldn't be able to afford the firery breath upgrade but this would give me the ability to tarpit enemy units like the doombull that can be a real problem. Might have to try it out down the track.

Your guys comments are appreciated as always. :D
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog