RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies"

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

RE.Lee

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies" - End Times Reloaded!

#871 Post by RE.Lee »

Craft beer is no joke :wink:

Looking through some old stuff on my laptop I came across a bunch of battle reports from around 2002, including a campaign we did all those years ago in league with our O&G friend. Nostalgia overload!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Lohendrinus

#872 Post by Lohendrinus »

RE.Lee wrote:Craft beer is no joke :wink:

Looking through some old stuff on my laptop I came across a bunch of battle reports from around 2002, including a campaign we did all those years ago in league with our O&G friend. Nostalgia overload!
Post the best of your old time battle reports please :) . I still think the 6th edition BRs around all the forums have been the best of all times thanks to their utter irreverent humour. Now BRs of today is boring as feck, just because GW has become to big and gone 'serious'.
RE.Lee

#873 Post by RE.Lee »

The fun was left behind in 5th (loved those silly drawings in the Rulebook!). 6th was perhaps the most serious Warhammer has ever been. The silliness came back a bit in 8th, in my opinion - look at some of the magic items!

I'll get around to doing those old battle reports (they badly need some editing). For now, here are the draft lists of the Legion of Chaos invading Marienburg:

Khorne:
Bloodthirster, Lesser Gift
Exalted Hero BSB, barded steed, Sword of Might, MoK
18 Chaos Warriors, command, shields, MoK
5 Marauder Horsemen, spears
1 Chariot
5 Chaos Knights, command, Ensorcelled Weapons, MoK
5 Flesh Hounds
3 Skullcrushers, MoK

Nothing subtle here - the Bloodthirster leads the way, with the Knights, Crushers and Hounds in his wake. Warriors mop things up.

Nurgle:
Sorcerer Lord, level 4 Lore of Nurgle, Scaled Skin, Power Stone, MoN
Exalted Hero BSB, Enchanted Shield, MoN
Bray Shaman, level 2 Lore of the Wild
27 Gors, command, shields, MoN
10 Plaguebearers, command
4 Ogres, thw, MoN
Gorebeast Chariot, MoN
Shaggoth, thw
Hellcannon

A bit more balanced approach here. Most units are rock-hard, and they will benefit further from Khorne attracting the majority of attention (probably). Much will depend on combined charges - using the Gors as an anvil might be risky, as all the character go with them, but the Mark of Nurgle really helps to survive (in the short term at least).

Opinions? Suggestion as to what the Empire/TK should take to counter?
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#874 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Craft beer is no joke :wink:
It seems like every American wargamer is an enthusiast!
RE.Lee wrote:Opinions?
Both lists look serviceable. As you know RE, I'd always take a Scroll. Bloodthirster is more risky than a Daemon Prince but you have to respect his killing power.
RE.Lee wrote:Suggestion as to what the Empire/TK should take to counter?
"Guns. Lots of guns!" (and the world's biggest Coven of Light).

:)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#875 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:Suggestion as to what the Empire/TK should take to counter?
"Guns. Lots of guns!" (and the world's biggest Coven of Light).
Sticking with the End Times theme I would go for a coven of light. That's who you would expect to show up when fighting deamons. Especially in an ET setting.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#876 Post by RE.Lee »

I've actually drafted some Light Council list, but for Tomb Kings.I haven't really considered that approach for the Empire, but it would be a good idea perhaps. I'll see what I can come up with!

This is what their Tomb King allies (1200p) are likely to look like:

Tomb King on Warsphinx, great weapon, shield, Armour of Destiny, Healing Potion
Liche Priest, Level 2, Nehekhara, Channeling Staff

19 Archers, command
3 Chariots
5 Horse Archers

Necrosphinx

Sticking with monster mash! Hopefully those T8 monsters can hold some Chaos Warriors. We've buffed the Nehakhara signature spell to work on all units in range, not just those out of combat. This should provide so much needed healing ability.

Meanwhile, I'd like you to meet someone:

I've finished the base since, as well as some extra details on the armour. An appropriate leader for the invading force :wink:
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#877 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:I haven't really considered that approach for the Empire, but it would be a good idea perhaps.
It's considered strong and of course it's good if Daemons are present.
RE.Lee wrote:Hopefully those T8 monsters can hold some Chaos Warriors.
Definitely.
RE.Lee wrote:Meanwhile, I'd like you to meet someone:
Nice! He'll be lots of fun!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#878 Post by Prince of Spires »

Nice, I like the look of him.

As for monsters, you can't go wrong with those of course. What's not to like about a giant sculpture trying to bludgeon chaos warriors to death... The signature buff does make a lot of sense though. TK can use the help.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#879 Post by RE.Lee »

Cheers! I've finally started painting again, after moving to the new apartment - feels great to get things done! :D

Still pondering about the Empire.

Here's the original idea:

Wizard Lord, Level 4, Life, Dispel Scroll, Obsidian Trinket
BSB, great weapon, Armour of Meteoric Iron
Engineer

39 Halberdiers, command
14 Handgunners, command
9 IC Knights, command

3 Demigryphs
30 Greatswords, command
6 Outriders
5 Pistoliers, champ with reapater pistol

Great Cannon, Hellblaster, Steam Tank

Council:
Wizard Lord, Level 4, Light, Power Stone
Battle Wizard, Level 1, Light, Dispel Scroll
Battle Wizard, Level 1, Light, Forbidden Rod

BSB, Enchanted Shield
Engineer
Mounted Priest

37 Halberdiers, command
11 Handgunners, command
9 IC Knights, command

3 Demigryphs
20 Greatswords
5 Outriders
5 Pistoliers

Great Cannon, Hellblaster, Steam Tank

A lot of similarities due to what I own, but the lists do have a different feel to them. I think the biggest sacrifice in the second is the Greatswords, now little more than a small anvil. This is a bit of a problem also because the Halberdiers are now primarily a bunker for the council. This leaves me without any line infantry that could slow down the Chaos forces. I did add the Priest to the IC Knights, so that should help. The Power Stone and Forbidden Rod are there to really make use of the magic phase. I do have a lot of shooting, too, so the enemy should be somewhat depleted when they hit home. Do I have anything to stop the Thirster, though? Really need to push that Banishment through, or count on tar-pitting with the Tank...

Advice?
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#880 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Cheers! I've finally started painting again, after moving to the new apartment - feels great to get things done! :)
I know what you mean RE. I had a long break in December but feel much better now I'm getting my teeth into my cavalry!
RE.Lee wrote:I think the biggest sacrifice in the second is the Greatswords, now little more than a small anvil. This is a bit of a problem also because the Halberdiers are now primarily a bunker for the council.
Bunker in the Greatswords? Stubborn is really useful here.
RE.Lee wrote:This leaves me without any line infantry that could slow down the Chaos forces.
A couple of 5's of infantry as chaff? Demis are pretty good at slowing stuff down and you have the knights. Likely Light buffs too because Chaos will be very keen to stop the Magic Missiles.
RE.Lee wrote:Do I have anything to stop the Thirster, though? Really need to push that Banishment through, or count on tar-pitting with the Tank...
He is public enemy #1 and has to die. You have artillery and magic, much more reliable than just one or the other. Banishment is awesome and boosted Shem's is also very dangerous for a Daemon. He has MR 2 but he won't want to be rolling on it that often.
RE.Lee

#881 Post by RE.Lee »

Thinking of dropping some Halberdiers and adding a couple Greatswords... I could go 27 and 26 respectively. Perhaps more sensible than a babysitting the wizards with a smallish units of GSs. They die a lot with those two-handed weapons so numbers are important. The halberdiers die a lot, but I'll switch to a column and hope to stand my ground, waiting for the cavalry to rescue me. By me I mean my opponents actually, as I'll be playing Nurgle most likely ;)
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#882 Post by SpellArcher »

So how will the list keep it's wizards out of combat RE?
RE.Lee

#883 Post by RE.Lee »

Halberdiers at first or they can switch to Handgunners as a last resort. If it comes to this the Empire is probably done for anyway, so might as well lead the line with the wizards and hope for a miscast! :lol: The Chaos armies have almost no shooting (apart from the Hellcannon) and their magic can be contained (I don't know if I would target the bunker anyway, with stuff like Demigryphs and a Tank in the way).

Thats one of the big problems I have with the council - those wizards are squishy points all in the same spot. Against flying Bloodthirsters the Empire need to really watch out!
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#884 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Thats one of the big problems I have with the council - those wizards are squishy points all in the same spot.
It requires careful play. But the ranged power, especially vs Undead or Daemons, is worth it.
RE.Lee wrote:those wizards are squishy points all in the same spot. Against flying Bloodthirsters the Empire need to really watch out!
I'm pretty sure this Empire list has the tools to deal with Mr Thirster. But how do the Tomb Kings fit into all this?
RE.Lee

#885 Post by RE.Lee »

Now I'm tempted to try and squeeze in a War Altar but points are so tight!

As mentioned, the Tomb Kings try and block the Chaos heavy infantry. The archers probably won't be of much use - perhaps they'll help to clear the little chaff the baddies bring.

In other news - I've bought the Beastmen army book. Get ready for some Gor hordes :lol:
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#886 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Now I'm tempted to try and squeeze in a War Altar but points are so tight!
Yeah, that's the power build but at 2400.
RE.Lee wrote:The archers probably won't be of much use - perhaps they'll help to clear the little chaff the baddies bring.
Also a High Elf issue of course.
RE.Lee wrote:In other news - I've bought the Beastmen army book. Get ready for some Gor hordes :lol:
That's the only book I don't have access to. I've got it, I just can't find it!
RE.Lee

#887 Post by RE.Lee »

My friend Mark came for a visit and, as always, a battle ensued.

I took my Tomb Kings against his Dwarfs in a standard 2k per side pitched battle.

We tested some house rules:
- artillery causing D3+1 instead of D6 wounds
- all Rank Bonus and Banners counting for CR
- steadfast gained by unit that has a higher Rank Bonus, not number of ranks

My list:
Tomb Kings, Armour of Fortune, Ironcurse Icon, great weapon
High Liche Priest, Wand of Jet
27 Archers, command
3 Chariots
2x5 Horse Archers
29 Tomb Guards with Halberds, command
Necrosphinx, Warsphinx (Fiery Breath), Hierotitan

A solid army based around the Constructs - target saturation all the way! The Tomb Guards were still here, too - always a threat.

His list:
Thane, 1+ save, immune to KB
BSB, 4+/5+ ward
2x Runesmith with Runes of Spellbreaking/Spelleating
30ish Warriors, command
16 Quarrellers
12 Hammerers, command
10 Slayers
2x Organ Gun, Cannon
2x Gyrocopter

Stay tuned!

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#888 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Cannon
Is that one or two? Because I think the Constructs could be an issue. Otherwise I feel the Dwarfs have an edge.

Nice orangey theme with the Slayers and trees!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#889 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:Cannon
Is that one or two? Because I think the Constructs could be an issue. Otherwise I feel the Dwarfs have an edge.
From the picture I would say there's two on the hill. But that could just be me needing new glasses... ;)

I'm not sure the dwarves have the edge. With the changes to artillery, the question becomes can the dwarves do enough damage at range before all those constructs slam into their line. High S, high T and thunderstomp is not something infantry wants to run into.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#890 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks! My opponent has a great looking army - only the quarrellers still need a paintjob.

It was one cannon, though the second organ gun was proxied by a flame cannon, so no need to have your eyes checked, Rod :wink: I was hoping on some good old thunder stomping, so having only one cannon was a boon, especially sinced it had been weakend by the test house rule. The slayers were a problem - could I deal with both them and the Gyrocopters with shooting?
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

#891 Post by RE.Lee »

Deployment:

Dwarfs set up around a big hill in the middle of their zone. The right flank is by far the strongest, with 2 big units and all the character there. The left is largely refused, with the Slayers ready to intercept any intruders.

I deploy my shooters in the south, with the archers screened by the cavalry. The Tomb Guard take the center, with all the big guys surrounding them. Chariots secure the right flank.

I get Desert Wind, Smiting, Neru's Protection and Dessication - a good selection of spells backed by the bound spells of the Heirotitan.

Turn 1:

Dwarfs go first but do not move. The cannon shoots just short of the Necrosphinx (his good luck continues throughout most of the battle), while the Organ Gun decimates the Tomb Guards.

My movement phase is more eventful - the left flank turns towards a Gyrocopter and manage to bring it down! The fighting units all advance at full speed. I burn a scroll in the magic phase.

Turn 2:

The Dawi advance, trying to intercept my forces. The cannon deals 4 wounds to the Necrosphinx and I wait for it to be brought down by the remaining shooters. The first Organ Gun causes 8 hits and ... no wounds. The second opens fire - 6 hits ... no wounds. Finally, the Quarrellers shoot: 8 hits and again- no wounds! The Necrosphinx lives (kind of)!

Charge! The Necrosphinx crashes into the Organ Gun, the Warsphinx into the Hammerers, the Tomb Guards into the Warriors and the Chariots into the Slayers. The archers turn towards the other Gyrocopter and deal a couple of wounds. In the magic phase I manage to cast Neru on the Tomb Guards but my Smiting is stopped and my memory of the spell - erased. The Tomb Guards win their combat easily, but are held on steadfast. The Warsphinx loses slightly against the Hammerers, but carries on. The Necrosphinx fails to slay the Organ Gun crew (ouch!), while the Chariots deal a couple of wounds to the Slayers but are obviously held.

The fighting truly started early and my guys are in decent form. The Necrosphinx was extremely lucky but now is bogged down. To be continued!
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#892 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:I'm not sure the dwarves have the edge. With the changes to artillery, the question becomes can the dwarves do enough damage at range before all those constructs slam into their line. High S, high T and thunderstomp is not something infantry wants to run into.
Had it been two cannon, I like the Dwarves Rod. Average damage is only slightly lower. Sure, they can't one-shot a construct from scratch but a wounding hit will always put at least two on. The problem with TK monsters is they lack a decent saving throw. T8 is strong but enough hits (of any Strength) will take it down. Here, the Organ Guns' S5 negates the 5+ AS too. So a 3-wound cannon hit would leave only two vs other shooting and combat. With only one cannon it's more chancy.

I like the threat of the chariot deployment which could draw fire from the monsters.
RE.Lee wrote:Organ Gun decimates the Tomb Guards.
I think he needs to be targeting the Constructs.
RE.Lee wrote:The fighting units all advance at full speed.
Good stuff.
RE.Lee wrote:The Necrosphinx lives (kind of)!

Not looking bad.
RE.Lee

#893 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote: T8 is strong but enough hits (of any Strength) will take it down.
If only my opponent could roll a single "6" on 20 dice :lol:

Turn 3:

The remaining Gyrocopter charges the Necrosphinx in the back - thats 3 CR that will most likely crumble me, but I only need a single wound to take the machine out. I fail of course and the big guy goes down to an Organ Gun crew and a smoking helicopter...
Elsewhere the Warsphinx has better luck as it continues to grind down the Hammerers, suffering only minor damage in return. The Tomb Guard win their combat again, but the Warriors still carry on.

In my turn I block the slayers from reaching the Warsphinx, as the beast almost finished the elite Dwarfs. I finally have a successful magic phase (having burnt both scrolls earlier on) - I get Dessication on the Warriors and then IF a big Neru to heal back some guys and protect myself from losing more. With this support the TGs manage to break the Warriors, though they fail to run them down. Shooting drops some more Slayers, perhaps I can finish them off before they get to my Kitty?

Turn 4:

Slayers evade my horse archers, while the Quarrellers finish them off. The Warriors rally any prepare to take on the Tomb Guard once again, as massed shooting weakens my elite troops. The Warsphinx manages to crush the remaining Hammerers, as well as the Thane-General and Runesmith!

My Warsphinx charges the Gyrocopter but fails to put that last wound on him and is now ready to be finished off by the Slayers. The Tomb Guards charge and wipe out the Warriors. I shoot down some Slayers, but the remaining 3 is all my opponent needs.

Turn 5:

The Slayers charge and slay the Warsphinx. I retaliate with my archers and the Dwarf fanatics meet their doom. Its a minor victory to the Tomb Kings (some 1300 to 1000 VPs)

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#894 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:If only my opponent could roll a single "6" on 20 dice
=D>
RE.Lee wrote:The remaining Gyrocopter charges the Necrosphinx in the back - thats 3 CR that will most likely crumble me, but I only need a single wound to take the machine out. I fail of course and the big guy goes down to an Organ Gun crew and a smoking helicopter...
Swings and roundabouts...
RE.Lee wrote:The Warsphinx manages to crush the remaining Hammerers, as well as the Thane-General and Runesmith!
Get in!
RE.Lee wrote:The Slayers charge and slay the Warsphinx. I retaliate with my archers and the Dwarf fanatics meet their doom. Its a minor victory to the Tomb Kings (some 1300 to 1000 VPs)
He didn't die in vain!
RE.Lee

#895 Post by RE.Lee »

It was a really fun game! Rarely do you see Tomb King constructs do their thing - here they smashed into the enemy lines and actually did some damage :lol: Of course the Tomb Guards were my main force and they did well, though routing the Warriors is not that big a deal.

The MVP was the Gyrocopter, who kept killing my Sphinxes one way or the other - a real nuisance!

A few comments on the new house rules:
- cannon nerf was perhaps the biggest thing - it worked well, causing 2-4 wounds makes it more reliable, while assuring that monsters cannot be dropped with a single shot. We'll be keeping this probably, though one must wonder how a Star Dragon would work under these circumstances.
- the extra CR didn't really come into play - no multiple combat involving ranked units took place
- the augmented steadfast also wasn't really tested - I had no unit with 3 ranks to speak of!
- I forgot about the 5-dice limit to casting and actually benefited from 6-dicing a couple of times.

All in all, we'll continue with the playtesting. In fact, we already have! Stay tuned for Dwarfs vs Chaos!

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#896 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote: The MVP was the Gyrocopter, who kept killing my Sphinxes one way or the other - a real nuisance!
They are so damn annoying.
RE.Lee wrote:- I forgot about the 5-dice limit to casting and actually benefited from 6-dicing a couple of times.
The one tournament I played with this rule saw a lot of Deathstars.
RE.Lee wrote: Stay tuned for Dwarfs vs Chaos!
Sounds juicy!

RE.Lee

#897 Post by RE.Lee »

Those irresistible big spells do keep Deathstars honest - we'll see how things turn out in other play tests.

Speaking of which!

Legion of Chaos:
Great Brayshaman - Level 4 Beasts, Hagtree Fetish (re-rolls to wound for spells against atarget within 24")
Exalted Hero BSB - Scaly Skin, Ironcurse Icon, Sword of Antiheroes
Brayshaman - Level 2 Beasts, Herdstone Shard

23 Gor, extra weapons, command
17 Warriors, MoN, shields, command
5 Marauder Horsemen, spears, throwing axes

Gorebeast Chariot, MoN
4 Ogres, great weapons, MoN
Shaggoth
Hellcannon

Dwarfs:
Lord, immune to killing blow, 1+ save
BSB, Grungni
2 Runesmiths, Spellbreaking, Spelleating

40ish Longbeards, command
14 Quarrellers

10 Trollslayers
Organ Gun, Cannon,
2 Gyrocopter

Deployment:

That Longbeard bus looks scary! Still, I've probably no choice but to charge in and hope for my guys to make it. I've got a lot of attacks and the Sword of Antiheroes means my BSB can make 7 S8 strikes, with superior initiative too! This should hopefully allow him to win some challenges and get some extra bonuses from the Eye of the Gods. The 2 wounds and 2+ save make him a bit squishy, though he does have the Mark of Nurgle to help him out.

A good bit of my army will hang back - the Hellcannon will try and decimate the Longbeards before they get to fight, while the Brayshamans are on a leash because of the Herdstone. Its a great item (giving a power dice for each wizard within 6") but it synergizes poorly with the rest of the list.

Opinions? Post hoc advice? :wink:
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#898 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Still, I've probably no choice but to charge in and hope for my guys to make it.
Yeah, you've got a variety of good units in the vicinity so if the Hellcannon can do some damage it's worth a go. You're obviously not positioned for a push against his shooters.
RE.Lee wrote:Brayshamans are on a leash because of the Herdstone.
This is a bind, especially if the enemy don't come to you because some of the best spells in Beasts are close range buffs. You still have the Magic Missiles of course and Curse could help vs the Longbeards. You are facing double Runesmith which is a pain.
RE.Lee

#899 Post by RE.Lee »

Sadly the Amber Spear only has a 24" range even when boosted :(

Turn 1.

I get to go first (its been some time!). Everything pushes forward, mostly towards the Longbeards, though the Shaggoth positiones itself to jeopardize the Quarrellers as well. In the magic phase my Curse of Anraheir gets destroyed, but I manage to drop a Gyrocopter with Amber Spear AND kill an Organ Gun crewman with Crows (that Hagtree Fetish is really helpful here). The Hellcannon misses, unfortunately.

The Dwarfs only send the Slayers to intercept me. Shooting deals 2 wounds on the Gorebeast Chariot (I think the cannon did it) and a whooping 5 on the Shaggoth. I'm still happy he survived - those attacks can be useful. The remaining Gyrocopter kills 4 marauders and panics them - oh well...

Turn 2

I charge the Slayers with my Warriors and Shaggoth. The fight is a massacre of course, but the Dwarfs manage to land that last wound on my monster with a deathblow and now the Warriors have to go in on their own. The Ogres and Chariot ready to charge in and help. My opponent stopped my magic this time - clearly afraid of any buffs on the Warriors. The Hellcannon, once again, fails to hit.

Its all about the big fight. The Quarrellers join in from the flank. My BSB is down to wound but challenges the Dwarf Lord - I have 8 S7 attacks but only hit on 4+ and only manage to cause 2 wounds. This means the Lord lives and his retaliation slays my Champion outright. The Warriors put up a fight, but are no match for the Dwarfs and break but are not caught. Meanwhile the cannon drops the Chariot and the Organ Gun decimates the Ogres - there goes my support.

Things looking quite grim at the moment but I do have a strong magic phase and the enemy is out of scrolls. The Gors might not look like much but a Wildform in there and they get S4 T5 with 3 attacks each. Savage Beast of Horrors is also an option. The Warriors are still a force (if they rally). Who knows, maybe even the Hellcannon can finally hit something or at least help out in a fight? Can I turn this around?
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#900 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Sadly the Amber Spear only has a 24" range even when boosted
This is true but it's much easier to utilise than the buffs, which actually demand you get stuff in contact. Playing Wood Elves, I got used to the vagaries of Beasts. Did kill a Daemon Prince first turn once though!
RE.Lee wrote:I manage to drop a Gyrocopter with Amber Spear
RE.Lee wrote:AND kill an Organ Gun crewman with Crows (that Hagtree Fetish is really helpful here).
Great combo.
RE.Lee wrote:The Hellcannon, once again, fails to hit.
Ouch.
RE.Lee wrote:Its all about the big fight. The Quarrellers join in from the flank. My BSB is down to wound but challenges the Dwarf Lord - I have 8 S7 attacks but only hit on 4+ and only manage to cause 2 wounds. This means the Lord lives and his retaliation slays my Champion outright. The Warriors put up a fight, but are no match for the Dwarfs and break but are not caught. Meanwhile the cannon drops the Chariot and the Organ Gun decimates the Ogres - there goes my support.
Things got a bit disjointed but even if the Warriors had waited for their support, that would have got hammered by shooting before it could combo-charge. Bit unlucky considering the Hellcannon whiffing.
RE.Lee wrote:Things looking quite grim at the moment but I do have a strong magic phase and the enemy is out of scrolls. The Gors might not look like much but a Wildform in there and they get S4 T5 with 3 attacks each. Savage Beast of Horrors is also an option. The Warriors are still a force (if they rally). Who knows, maybe even the Hellcannon can finally hit something or at least help out in a fight? Can I turn this around?
I agree, if the Ogres can deal with the Gyrocopter they could get in the way of the Longbeards and help your Warriors out.