RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies"

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies" - detour into Chaos

#721 Post by Prince of Spires »

Fun match. Great to see the battle for the objectives being so important compared to normally just trying to kill everything your opponent has and perhaps grabbing one along the way.

At your halfway point things were pretty in balance, though it looked to me like the Dark side had a few more units freed up and thus able to move in as support or lend a hand (or attack the wraith as was the case). I'm left wondering if the wounds on the wraith difference was down to luck (with the Light side not doing many wounds) or if the Dark side simply managed to give it more attention or perhaps better, attention able to cause wounds (in the form of the vampire lord for instance). After all, in the bottom of turn 6, the evil side could have tried causing more wounds on the wraith if it would have been needed.

Of course, the wraith itself was biased towards the Dark side. Killing a steam tank one turn and not even managing to wound a skaven slave is highly suspicious behaviour... ;)

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#722 Post by RE.Lee »

Yup, the game flowed really well, though perhaps there were too many objectives, making only a couple contested.

The armies of light concentrated fire on the Wraith early on and got a 5 points advantage there. They then focused their artillery on the pressing evil troops, thinking the margin was big enough to be easily defended (whereas the Tower was under threat from the Stormvermin and the Skaven in general). When the Vampire Lord proved his worth at dealing out damage, it was too late however, as the artillery was largely gone (blowing up the Organ Gun a particularly unfortunate event) and the heavy hitters (Demigryphs, Longbeards with the BSB) in no position to intervene. There were also 2 turns with either the Storm Banner or Howling Warpgale on, so there's that.

The Wraith itself is balanced to be more harmful to the side more likely to cause damage to it. Positioning the Imperial guys in front of it was probably a mistake (though the rolls we made were also crazy). In hindsight, putting a unit of Hammerers between an Organ Gun and a Hellblaster would have enough to both damage the Wraith and keep the Skaven honest.

All in all it was a very close battle and no one felt out of the game (apart from the Chaos guy maybe, though he took command of my Skaven after I've switched sides ;)

Thanks for the comments guys! I'm painting my other forest now, and will be moving to the reminder of the Fortified Manor - the likely objective in our next battle. We're either going to be introducing some new players (including the Imperial player's wife!) or trying out Triumph and Treachery for a truly multiplayer experience!
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#723 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote: Wraith moves in front of the Black Knight Bus (how convenient!) and kills the last Gyrocopter (even more convenient!).
I agree with Rod, very suspicious!

:)
RE.Lee wrote:The Slaves charge and kill the Hellblaster crew.
Go slaves!
RE.Lee wrote:Evil Alliance won the this objective 8:6 and the entire battle 3:2!
Great comeback!
RE.Lee wrote: The Wraith itself is balanced to be more harmful to the side more likely to cause damage to it.
Great pic, who says Apophas is rubbish!
RE.Lee wrote:We're either going to be introducing some new players (including the Imperial player's wife!) or trying out Triumph and Treachery for a truly multiplayer experience!
We demand more reports!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#724 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:We're either going to be introducing some new players (including the Imperial player's wife!) or trying out Triumph and Treachery for a truly multiplayer experience!
We demand more reports!
Indeed. Pics or it didn't happen... ;)

And the Aphopas model is great. No idea how he plays, be he looks amazing. :)

As for the objectives, perhaps it would have worked better to have an even number of objectives instead of an odd number. Now, both sides could simply claim one objective and have the other side ignore it and all fighting took place over the contested one. If you have an even number of objectives, the dynamics change. You will be fighting over at least two of them since that's what's needed to secure the win.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#725 Post by RE.Lee »

Apophas is a WS4 S4 I1 A5 character hunter (he can re-roll to wound and to hit rolls against a nominated enemy model). He could be decent at hunting wizards, but he'll just get challenged by a champion and crumble on static CR... He also causes terror, hovers, emerges from the sands and has a super weak breath weapon (S2) - all for the price of a Casket of Souls :lol: He does look cool though - if the TK were a tougher army and could afford some wacky ideas I'd be actually tempted to use him. For now he's an excellent Wraith double :wink:

I think you're right with the even objectives - probably two would work best. That way no one could feel safe with their objective. On the other hand it might promote conservative play - sitting on a hill with a Deathstar and only making token attempts at conquering the other (or using gimmicks like no 6 spells to blast the opposition off). I'll think about it. I'm actually tempted to go for a classic Watchtower scenario, but make the building have several rooms, with fighting in the corridors. Could solve the "whoever gets his horde in the Tower first wins" problem.
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#726 Post by Prince of Spires »

RE.Lee wrote: I think you're right with the even objectives - probably two would work best. That way no one could feel safe with their objective. On the other hand it might promote conservative play - sitting on a hill with a Deathstar and only making token attempts at conquering the other (or using gimmicks like no 6 spells to blast the opposition off). I'll think about it. I'm actually tempted to go for a classic Watchtower scenario, but make the building have several rooms, with fighting in the corridors. Could solve the "whoever gets his horde in the Tower first wins" problem.
But only sitting on one and not really trying for the other would lead to a draw. Or at least, increase the risk of a draw.

It might also depend on what you think your opponents will bring. Your gaming group comes across as a fairly balanced and fun group of people. I'm not sure they're the kind to bring deathstars.

As for the watchtower scenario, it could work. It depends a bit on whether you use the 8th ed. building rules or go for house rules. The BRB building rules aren't very good, which is why the watchtower scenario is such a nightmare to play. Fix the building rules and you're a long way towards having a decent scenario.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#727 Post by RE.Lee »

We're most definitely a casual group, but the guys have played enough euro-games to quickly look for optimal strategies. They still prefer the stories being told and epic moments to hardcore powergaming, but I prefer to not tempt them (and myself!) with scenarios that might reward that ;) The general idea was to promote the "many medium units" approach, that I find the most appealing to look at on the battle field - multiple objectives work well with that, perhaps controlling table quarters might be a good idea, too. Or a mix, like in the "Invasion" scenario from the back of the BRB.

Anyway, something is stirring in the woods...

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#728 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:super weak breath weapon (S2)
Still worth a try vs elves, skinks etc.. The real value could be combined with Toughness debuff or the Terror combined with Ld debuff. Hover still charges a damn long way, just look at Plague Drones.
Prince of Spires wrote: The BRB building rules aren't very good
+1
RE.Lee wrote:The general idea was to promote the "many medium units" approach, that I find the most appealing to look at on the battle field
Bravo!

..."Who was that masked man?"

RE.Lee

#729 Post by RE.Lee »

Any suggestions on house rules for buildings (that sentence seems partially redundant...)? We've been using the BSB ones so far and, as none 50+ archer bunkers for Teclis were used, found them rather ok. They remind me of the 5th ed siege rules a bit.

Regarding Apophas's breath weapon - if it were usable every turn (like those damn Gyrocopters) it would be an acceptable strength. As it stands, it pretty laughable. Though, you're right, considering his hovering he's at least likely to get into some sort of decent position to fire it.

Next battle has been booked for Nov. the 19th - calls for pictures will be answered :wink:
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#730 Post by Prince of Spires »

The main problem for me is just how hard it is to remove any decently sized unit from a building, which is also what the problem with the watchtower scenario is. The shooting rules I don't worry about too much, but that might just be because my archers never hit anything noteworthy anyway.

I would keep any modifications simple and try a bit what works. Two rules changes to start
- Instead of automatically moving attackers back from combat I would give the attacker a choice to either continue or break from combat (if he wins). This effectively doubles the rounds of combat that can be fought against a building.
- Defender isn't steadfast in a building. Instead, halve the CR due to wounds caused by the attacker (or something similar like "halve the CR impact on the LD roll for the loser).

Doing both of these removes most of the "get your largest unit in a building and there is no way to get it out" shenanigans. Of course, for a watchtower scenario, it still doesn't solve the problem where one side gets a large gutstar (or WL deathstar or equivalent) into the watchtower and there is no way to get it out. ButI think it would prevent most abuse.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#731 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:ny suggestions on house rules for buildings
Well, I believe the ETC ruled them Impassable one year!

:lol:
RE.Lee wrote:Regarding Apophas's breath weapon - if it were usable every turn (like those damn Gyrocopters) it would be an acceptable strength. As it stands, it pretty laughable. Though, you're right, considering his hovering he's at least likely to get into some sort of decent position to fire it.
Yeah, I'm clutching at straws really. He's a big luxury.
RE.Lee wrote:Next battle has been booked for Nov. the 19th - calls for pictures will be answered
Excellent!
Prince of Spires wrote:get your largest unit in a building and there is no way to get it out"
Just get the Skaven to knock it down!

RE.Lee

#732 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote: Just get the Skaven to knock it down! :)
:lol: Cracks Call FTW!

I'm really disappointed by the building rules in 9th - I was looking forward to some inspiration from those guys, but making buildings pretty much irrelevant is not the way to go. Come on, fighting over towers and such can and should produce incredibly epic moments! I think even keeping them impassable would have been better than what they've done now.
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#733 Post by Prince of Spires »

RE.Lee wrote:
SpellArcher wrote: Just get the Skaven to knock it down! :)
:lol: Cracks Call
And play something other then HE?? Heresy... ;)

Actually, I'd love a skaven army. But the wife doesn't like the look of the rats, so they're out. That and I have no time or space to build a second army...
RE.Lee wrote: I'm really disappointed by the building rules in 9th - I was looking forward to some inspiration from those guys, but making buildings pretty much irrelevant is not the way to go. Come on, fighting over towers and such can and should produce incredibly epic moments! I think even keeping them impassable would have been better than what they've done now.
I just had a look at T9A building rules and I fully agree with you. They're weird and don't offer any opportunity to create more themed battles. It's a bit sad that that's the best a whole community of experienced players can come up with. Or perhaps it's the competitive focus of T9A when building the rules. The epic, themed battles are not their goal perhaps.

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#734 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:And play something other then HE?? Heresy...

Actually, I'd love a skaven army. But the wife doesn't like the look of the rats, so they're out. That and I have no time or space to build a second army...
Touché! Though I didn't say who should play the Skaven...

Funny your missus doesn't like them Rod because in my experience Ratties are a popular army with the ladies.
RE.Lee

#735 Post by RE.Lee »

True, they are kind of cute - it largely depends on the colour scheme and such I guess. There's a world of a difference between old-school 5th ed colourful robes and crazy contraptions and the 6th ed+ with a look straight out of 2 weeks in the trenches of WWI.

I can't believe how much Skaven I've got unassembled in my closet #-o
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

#736 Post by RE.Lee »

As the last picture suggested, Archaon is coming to town. Even better, the entirety of Storm of Chaos/End Times is upon us!

You might recall how we tried to run a campaign based on ET:Nagash when it was published. We started with the Battle for 9 Daemons and it kind of sucked, because the scenarios in the End Times books are very, very bad. Lessons were learned and I've gained quite some experience with making scenarios that are narrative-based, but still kind of balanced.

This coincided with my gaming group getting a bit bigger and my acquiring of a Chaos army - now I have all the necessary tools to reenact the great battle of our time. Or at least its key bits.

I'll be skipping bits of the story that I don't have the models to fight (like the entire Khaine book) or I find awfully silly (like pretty much the entire Glottkin and Archaon books). I also don't want the campaign to run for 10+ years. In the end I've settled from 12 scenarios (so this should run about a year) with some bonus ones likely to happen.

Anyone tried something like this? Back in the SoC days or more recently?
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#737 Post by SpellArcher »

Sounds really cool RE!

It's hard to get campaign balance right between ambition and achievability. You seem to have a good plan here.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#738 Post by Prince of Spires »

No experience at all, so can't really help you much.

What I would aim for is to make sure that winning one or two games at the start doesn't give you such advantages that the rest of the campaign is a walk in the park. And that everyone keeps having a role to play. At the same time, don't make it too big. People tend to lose interest fast. And if it keeps going forever people might drop out.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#739 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks for the comments guys!

Prince of Spires, I was thinking about those bonuses for wins. I used to do them when I was playing in school, as was the custom, but they make for something of a snowball effect, with the rich getting richer throughout the campaign. So thats right out, as you suggest. There are alternatives.

I liked how in the Siege Supplement the bonuses only counted for the very last battle - that seemed more fair, as you could always try harder (or take a cheesier list) in your next battle. But its hard to balance those between scenarios, and it also adds another advantage to winning, thus promoting less causal play.

Another approach is something that is quite common in boardgames - a penalty for winning. Its surprisingly quite easy to explain thematically (the Electors rally behind their Emperor in an hour of need or the Chaos Gods decide to make a more testing challenge to the Lord of the End Times) and really helps bring an equilibrium to the factions.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the third way to go - no penalties/bonuses for wins. I think this will take away from the game aspect and help underline the story we're hoping to tell. Bragging rights are still something, right? :wink: It also is the simplest thing to do, especially as there are more than 2 sides to the conflict, and people are likely to switch sides depending on who can play on a particular day.

To help bring a nice dynamic structure to the campaign and help fight dullness that is inevitable when the grand finale is set to be a year from now, I've split the scenarios into 3 parts (so a bit less that the 5 in the End Times).

This is how the first bit looks right now:

Heldenhame (Sylvania Campaign) – Empire vs Vampire Counts - this will either be a single battle (using a variation on Flank Attack) or a mini campaign (if my VC opponent is the only one available to play)

Valaya's Tomb – Dwarfs vs Skaven vs Tomb Kings
Triumph and Treachery basic rules (no cards probably), Majority of units within 12" of the Tomb wins. Models within 12" get regeneration (5+) MR 2, Immune to Panic. Rules for Cave-ins and such - maybe from the Nagash book

River of Death (Nehekhara Campaign) – Tomb Kings vs Vampire Counts - either a scenario or a mini campaign
Invasion Scenario or original scenario from Nagash, perhaps some Desert Rules

Battle for 9 Daemons – High Elves/Dwarfs/Empire vs Vampire Counts/Tomb Kings
The mini-finale. 3 objectives in Undead Zone, WS0, T4, W4, 2+ ward against shooting, 4+ in combat. Kill 0 – massacre for Undead, kill 1 – win for Undead, kill 2 – win for Light, kill 3 – massacre for Light

Opinions?
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies" - End Times Reloaded!

#740 Post by SpellArcher »

Looks pleasingly varied!

RE.Lee wrote:Battle for 9 Daemons
I'm a bit confused. Are these a prize for the winner?
RE.Lee

#741 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:Battle for 9 Daemons
I'm a bit confused. Are these a prize for the winner?
Obviously! They come in all shapes and sizes, too! :lol:

The portents are there. First a Chaos horde was sighted in the north, as it wiped out an outpost in Kislev. Then another razed a Dwarf fortress, though the heroism of its defenders allowed the invasion to be stopped soon after. Finally, on Geheimnisnacht a combined host of Undead, Chaos and Skaven swept through the Empire. The forces of evil are on the rise, but their goals are so far uncertain. One thing is sure – war is coming!

Current scenario draft:

Assault on Heldenhame
Empire(+Dwarfs) @ 2400p vs Tomb Kings (Arkhan the Black variety) @ 2000p and Vampire Counts @ 1000p

Battlefield: A Fortified Manor and a Hill at 1/3 and 2/3 of the Defender edge. Two 12" Walls and Fences sections placed per Defender preference. Forrests on the Attacker half of the table

Deployment: Defenders deploy first, then TK. VC deploy on a the "hill" flank of the battlefield as reinforcements on turn 2.

Battle lasts for 6 turn.

Victory Conditions: Hill is claimed if there is only one players unit(s) on it. If there are more (or none) it is contested. The Fortified Manor is a regular building (3 levels tall) with a capacity of 30 models.

Attacker/Defender: Claims Keep and Hill – massacre; claims Keep, contests Hill – major victory, contests Keep, claims Hill – minor victory, contests Keep and Hill – draw.
Last edited by RE.Lee on Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#742 Post by SpellArcher »

Interesting. Do Tomb Kings have a unit that can assault the Keep with good prospects of success?
RE.Lee

#743 Post by RE.Lee »

Tomb Guards powered up by some Royalty are as good as it gets. Its not the hitting power of Khorne Chaos Warriors but it should be enough. The fact that TK archers don't suffer shooting penalties should help deal some damage before the final assault, too.

Right now the TK list looks like this:

Arkhan the Black
Level 2 Liche Priest (Nehekhara)
Tomb Prince, THW

29 Archers, command
3 Chariots, champion
2x5 horse archers

29 Tomb Guard, halberds, command
Warsphinx, Fiery Roar
Necrosphinx
Screaming Skull Catapult
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#744 Post by SpellArcher »

Doom and Darkness could be a way of breaking into the Keep and Arkhan is virtually guaranteed to get it. It's a shame you can't take the Death Mask! Got a Scroll on the Liche Priest? Soulblight could be useful too. I'd expect the allies to bring good magic defence but still, those Death snipes should be a threat. I find it interesting how Death instead of Nehekhara on the Hierophant changes things and of course Arkhan has an extra boost of power.
RE.Lee

#745 Post by RE.Lee »

No scroll on the little guy - I doubt the Empire/Dwarf alliance is going to be much of a threat in the magic phase. I think the Stunties are likely to bring at least one scroll, but perhaps not the Rune of Valaya this time (in the Halloween battle it gave them/us a +6 to dispel - shocking how even some spells broke through!). I'm pretty excited for Arkhan - he's such a bully, saving those dispel dice for the next magic phase is so much useful when you don't really need to defend yourself. I wondering if putting him in the Tomb Guards, alongside the TP would be a better idea. The extra summoning from his sword and his own decent fighting ability could swing this. He'd be safer in the archers though...

At this points I'm not even sure which side I'll be on :lol: If the Dwarf player manages to turn up, I'll take command of the Tomb Kings. If not, I'll be leading the desperate defenders!
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#746 Post by Prince of Spires »

Looks like it's going to be a fun battle. Some nice things in the TK list.

And not knowing which side you'll actually be on keeps you honest and fair ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#747 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:No scroll on the little guy - I doubt the Empire/Dwarf alliance is going to be much of a threat in the magic phase.
Anything can be six-diced!
RE.Lee wrote:I'm pretty excited for Arkhan - he's such a bully, saving those dispel dice for the next magic phase is so much useful when you don't really need to defend yourself.
Looks like a lot of fun!
RE.Lee

#748 Post by RE.Lee »

Cheers! The magic dynamic is kind of interesting here - the undead have and obvious advantage, but Arkhan's ability means the good guys need to at least make some effort to make his use those dispel dice. Six-dicing stuff is a good way to go, too - especially using the bound spells of the Warrior Priests and Runesmiths (per our house rules).

Heldenhame is a major stronghold on the western border of Sylvania. Its protectors, the knights of Sigmar's Blood look after not only the inhabitants and the numerous merchants passing through, but also a powerful artifact – Morikhan, the Black Armour of Nagash. To claim that relic was the current goal of Arkhan the Black. Having forged an alliance with the Von Carsteins, he was seeking to summon back the powerful Necromancer. "Time for the last piece!" - thought Arkhan as, with a single gesture, he raised thousands of undead just at the edge of the forrest. "O, shit!" - screamed the only guardsman capable of producing any sound at all.

Here's the Empire list, lots of fluff choices:

Grand Master, Sword of Antiheroes, Talisman of Endurance
Battle Wizard, Level 2, Lore of Light
BSB, plate, shield
Warrior Priest, mounted

12 Handgunners, command
8 IC Knights, command
20 Greatswords (S4 per our house rules), command
5 Pistoliers

The idea is simple - the Handgunners take the keep and try to hold it, while the Greatswords act as an anvil for the IC bus to smash on.

Artillery, additional magic protection and some more steadfast infantry will be provided by the Dwarfs (hopefully).
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#749 Post by SpellArcher »

Nice list, not OTT but the choices could work well together.
RE.Lee wrote:some more steadfast infantry
I'd be tempted to get some of this in the Keep.
RE.Lee

#750 Post by RE.Lee »

Could be hard to move, true. Though shielding the manor with Longbeards and such, while occupying it with lighter troops makes sense - best to keep the troops fresh and allowing the Undead to fight the tower is asking for trouble. A lucky Doom&Darkness and anything can start fleeing!
cheers, Lee