RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies"

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

RE.Lee

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies" - Dragon Princes!

#121 Post by RE.Lee »

In the meanwhile, I found an old mage I decided to paint up at the same time as the archers. Its a slightly modified 5th edition model - part of the wand has been removed and the cap flattened a bit. I think it looks even better now, do you?

I need him because I'm thinking about running a coven of light (never got to use it last edition) - Light Lvl4, Lvl1 and loremaster. Might make a decent army.

Last edited by RE.Lee on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
RE.Lee

#122 Post by RE.Lee »

Well, I just couldn't resist painting up the mage. Looks like my pledged archers were simply out of luck this weekend (only the faces done on the front row, how disappointing)

And here's my two mages in their swordmaster bodyguard unit:

Its actually tempting to try out high magic with the duo. A high ward save on the Swordies could be handy...
Last edited by RE.Lee on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#123 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

A pair of cheap mages spamming High magic to get them across the field safely where they can chop people up, seems like a good idea.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
RE.Lee

#124 Post by RE.Lee »

I'm a bit worried that with 2 mages in the front rank, the unit will be not quite choppy enough. Unless I go a really big frontage, which is risky as well. I'd really like to give the swordmasters a go with the new book, but it seems like they've really taken a hit. No more re-rolls (the only elite that should seriously get them...), diminishing returns from adding extra ranks. It seems like the only thing going for them is the option to take units of 5. A pity, really. At least they got back the bullet dodger special ability - that one's always cool!

For Ulthuan!

cheers, Lee

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#125 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

HaHa~ Go wide to maximise attacks, and have a LVL4 in a bunker with Heavens for Harmonic Convergence, you can re-roll 1's then ^_^
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
RE.Lee

#126 Post by RE.Lee »

Sounds like a good idea! I really need to experiment with some book lores - but as it is my Loremaster remains a one-man magic phase :)

Some tweaking to the list:

Loremaster (Heavy Armour, Sword of Might, Merwyrm Shield, Book of Hoeth)
BSB (Barded Steed, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield, Star Lance, Dragonhelm, Crown of Atrazar)

10 Silver Helms (Full Command)
15 Archers (Full Command)
25 Spearmen (Full Command, Banner of Discipline)

21 White Lions (Full Command, Banner of the World Dragon)
8 Dragon Princes (Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame)

Frost Phoenix
3 Repeater Bolt Throwers
Great Eagles

The archers are coming along nicely - hopefully they'll be ready by the end of the week:

cheers, Lee

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#127 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I really need to finish my Loremaster so I can try him out, but I'm keen to try a Swordmaster unit with a pair of lvl2's using high magic now.
I love how much detail you're putting into those Archers, makes them seem special ^_^
Rajmahal

#128 Post by Rajmahal »

Love the classic metal archers. Excellent sculpts. :D
RE.Lee

#129 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks for the comments! Classic metal archers (at least the ones in scale mail, I'm not a big fan of the unarmoured ones) are great looking models. I'm planning on making another unit of 15 later on, but I still need to get the second command group (seems the archer champion with the helmet is pretty rare).

For Ulthuan! :lol:

Last edited by RE.Lee on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#130 Post by Prince of Spires »

looking pretty good. Did you win?

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#131 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Who the heck cares who wins when you look that good ^_^
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#132 Post by Prince of Spires »

The little guys themselves might...

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Rajmahal

#133 Post by Rajmahal »

Nice looking army. Are those also the old metal spearmen models? If so, those are really hard to find for a reasonable price. I just napped around 10 of them a month back. :)
RE.Lee

#134 Post by RE.Lee »

Win I did, another mauling of the foul Skaven. I'm planning on introducing a couple of more friends to warhammer later this month. Hopefully I'll be making a small report on how in went - expect brets and empire taking the field (rather dated armylist, as some miniatures haven't seen battle since 5th edition, but still).

I missed out on playing the new lizardmen this weekend as the cold-blooded friend I was visiting didn't get his yet...

The spearmen are indeed 5th edition, although, sadly, only 9 are metal. The rest are plastic clone warriors - they do ok as rear rank troops. I'm slowly getting round to starting another unit of 25 - I already have the metal spear wielding champion, 2 metal front rank spearmen, and some plastic grunts.

cheers!
cheers, Lee

Rajmahal

#135 Post by Rajmahal »

Nice ... I like the retro look of your army both from model choice and classic colour scheme.

If you want to make some more spearmen that will fit in with the old style, see if you can get some of the classic silver helms from eBay. It's pretty easy to chop off the lance holding hands and replace with spears and then stick them on spearmen legs. I did that for around 10 or so and they fit in perfectly with a similar unit of classic spearmen that I have.
RE.Lee

#136 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks for the encouraging comment :)

I did just that on my foot BSB, I also added some armour plates for a more heavy feel. You can catch a glimpse of him a couple of posts back. Looks really neat I think. I have something like 9 old silver helms in the bits box, but with the unit moving back to core I think I'll stick to their original look :) A solid cavbus in core is something I'm looking forward to fielding.
cheers, Lee

Rajmahal

#137 Post by Rajmahal »

I noticed the battle standard bearer after posting. He looks really good. Did you do the armour plates with green stuff?

Off topic question but what exactly is a "bus"? I've seen the term thrown around this forum when talking about cavalry units ... what makes a cavalry unit a bus? Also, what are "death stars" ... I think it means large unit with loads of characters, but I'm not sure. Just curious what's driving these new warhammer nicknames.
RE.Lee

#138 Post by RE.Lee »

A bus is exactly that: a big unit with a couple (possibly all) of characters, a deathstar is just a more recent term for the same thing, arguably pushed to the extreme (the bus term has been around since 5th/6th edition I recall, but back then you wouldn't see deathstars like the ones currently, probably because you only get points for wiping out units in 8th ed). Its like a hammer and an anvil in one unit.

The plates of armour were done with green stuff - perhaps not the most spectacular of sculpting efforts but it turned out nicely and goes well with the plates around his armpits. The rune motif works well.
cheers, Lee

Malossar
Something Cool

#139 Post by Malossar »

Looks great Dr. RE.Lee!

Was that 2,000 points? Have you thought about some brown around the rim of the bases?
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#140 Post by Prince of Spires »

Pretty much what RE.Lee said.

A bus is generally seen as a character delivery system, usually something fast like cavalry. The unit is there to protect the character (Look out, sir, against small arms shooting etc) and to provide ranks (though usually not more then 2). The character is there to do all the damage.

A deathstar (named after the star wars one) is a big unit (usually containing a big part of the opposing army) that can't be destroyed and will destroy anything in its path. The closest thing HE have to a deathstar is probably a unit of 40 WL with the banner of world dragon and a few characters thrown in. S6 attacks, 2+ ward vs magic, 3+ save vs shooting.

Classic example of a deathstar is a big Ogre bull unit with 3 characters thrown in (general, bsb and lvl 4 mage). They get a banner that makes them almost immune to magic, the characters are very tough and take all the hits (since they make up the front rank, together with the unit champion), it's fast, high S and worth a lot of points.

Congrats on the win RE.Lee. Painted models for the win!

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#141 Post by RE.Lee »

The battle was 1,5k. My bases actually do have a brown rim (more recent ones are in fact painted entirely brown, with only green flock on top) - perhaps the movement tray on the archers was confusing - its yet to be repainted :)

Side note - look what I found in the mailbox today! I bought the 5th edition starting kit - no miniatures, but all the other stuff is there. I still remember when my friend bought the box during a holiday in Scotland back in 1997. We played a bit with all the knights and dinosaurs (no rules were used - we didn't even know English well enough to read the books back then :lol:), and as I browsed the Battle Book I thought: "these bright guys look pretty cool, I should get some!"

Hmm, photobucket keeps rotating the picture for some reason...
Last edited by RE.Lee on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
cheers, Lee

Rajmahal

#142 Post by Rajmahal »

Thanks for clarrifications on the new lingo. :D

Classic box set ... love that cover. I started with that box and the old High Elf army box set that contained something like a 2000 point list in a box. Then for some reason I started collecting dwarfs because I didn't want to mess up the beautiful high elf miniatures with my poor painting skills at the time. Regarding that box, I remember assuming that the lizardmen were the bad guys.
RE.Lee

#143 Post by RE.Lee »

To anyone unwise enough to trespass too deep into the Lustrian jungle, they kind of are :) Remember - there are no good guys in warhammer :)

The box is full of tasty treats for a collector - one has got to love the old school buildings:

Last edited by RE.Lee on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
cheers, Lee

Rajmahal

#144 Post by Rajmahal »

Good guys? The 5th edition Brettonians were complete good guys ... I despised the old Nigel Stillman background because of it. He basically dropped a King Arthur fairy tale into the warhammer world and changed a few names. I haven't read the newer Brettonian book but hopefully they have amended it to be a bit more fitting for the dark fantasy world.

I remember that old tower. It's funny though that the yellow shield with the fleur-de-lys is the symbol of the cursed city of Moussillon.
RE.Lee

#145 Post by RE.Lee »

I think they did change the bretonnian background - there's more of a filthy-peasant-"help, help, I'm being repressed!" kind of feel :)

Real life got in the way, but I managed to get the front rank done. Things should speed up now, hopefully:

Last edited by RE.Lee on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

#146 Post by RE.Lee »

Another rank done, hopefully they'll be ready for the weekend!

Last edited by RE.Lee on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies" - Archers!

#147 Post by RE.Lee »

Unit finished! (not really, still need to do the banner, but its something)

Hopefully these bad boys will see some action tomorrow - its newbie introduction night :)
cheers, Lee

Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#148 Post by Elithmar »

Are some of those old metals? I love those models - much better than the one pose plastic archers I've got. :)
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
RE.Lee

#149 Post by RE.Lee »

All are metal: mostly 5th edition armoured archers, with a couple of 6th edition chariot crewmen mixed in. Great models, all of them - now its time to see if being painted increases their fighting prowess :)
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

#150 Post by RE.Lee »

Introduced a couple of friends to warhammer today (one was kind of reintroduced as he has a an empire army that hasn't seen battle since 5th edition)! We played two test games using my high elves (civil war!) - no magic items or wizards were allowed for simplicity's sake but the battles were still pretty exciting (around 1350p per side - quite a lot when you only get one hero and no magic!).

Battle 1. The rebels high water mark as they manage a double flank charge on my white lion general bunker. I manage to hold on and continue to wreck the enemy army!

Battle 2. The enemy uses refused flank tactics to great effect. My flanking maneuver fails as the Dragon Princes die to Swordmasters sending almost the entire army fleeing in panic!

We planned on using other armies, but in the end trying to remember the general rules for one race was deemed enough for one evening. Maybe another time.
cheers, Lee