RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies"

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

RE.Lee

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies" - End Times Reloaded!

#1021 Post by RE.Lee »

Nice discussion!

The Cabal defaulted to Miasma - mostly due to the range of the spell and its ability to shut down shooters. Its also super cheap and I didn't want to waste a lot of dice competing against the level 4/BoH Archmage. Perhaps getting some more powerful spells and trying to force them through, even with IF, might have been a better idea?

Good to see Prince of Spires agree with me on the Herdstone - it just has no synergy with the army as it is. I'd kill for such a unit for my TK or Empire, here its dead wood. The Cabal is out!

The SH didn't have Steadfast I think - do you get Steadfast from only the front rank? Have I been playing it wrong all this time? :shock:

The kit on the DP seemed ok - I tried to keep him cheap and with WS9, S6 AP he doesn't need that much help. Getting magic level would be big but thats what I was hoping for last time but the Tzeentch DP ate a Banishment turn 1 :lol: You never know!

Interesting point about the Hellcannon. Its provided mixed results, but here it would be pretty safe from shooting (no cannons) and might threated the concentrated elfs in the middle of the board or snipe the big guys as you suggest.

Next battle will be a bit smaller, LoCh (Beastman flavour) against Wood Elves at 2k.

Here's the draft:

Great Bray Shaman, Level 4 Beasts, Mark of Khorne, Jagged Dagger, Many Limbed Fiend, Talisman of Endurance, Additional Hand Weapon

Bray Shaman, Level 1 Shadow/Beasts, Chalice of Dark Rain, Additional Hand Weapon

BSB, Beast Banner, Mark of Khorne, Gnarled Hide, Shield

32 Gors, Mark of Khorne, Additional Hand Weapons, Command
15 Gors (ambush), Mark of Slaneesh, Additional Hand Weapons, Command
2x5 Ungor Raiders

30 Bestigors, Mark of Khorne, Command, Banner of Swiftness
2x Razorgor
Shaggoth

I'd love to the the big Gor unit with the butcher of a wizard come into contact with some soft Asrai flesh! Its obviously all about the 2 infantry blocks assaulting the enemy line, with the chaff trying to keep them from escaping. Could be tricky, but at least I've got a more consistent strategy this time. I'm curious to see how the ambushing Gors do - it might be a nasty surprise but it might also be waste of points :lol: Would MoK me better on them? I could drop some Ungors...
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1022 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:The Cabal defaulted to Miasma - mostly due to the range of the spell and its ability to shut down shooters. Its also super cheap and I didn't want to waste a lot of dice competing against the level 4/BoH Archmage. Perhaps getting some more powerful spells and trying to force them through, even with IF, might have been a better idea?
I used to field a Lvl 4 Keeper of Secrets on Slaanesh, so he could get in close and unleash the Caco. I remember reading a post by Keith Bonneau, formerly of this forum. He made the point that sometimes the Lore needed more direct threat at range. He was dead right because I found that nukes like Gateway and Bolt of Change complemented it really well.
RE.Lee wrote:do you get Steadfast from only the front rank?
Yep! Pg 54.
RE.Lee wrote:The kit on the DP seemed ok - I tried to keep him cheap and with WS9, S6 AP he doesn't need that much help. Getting magic level would be big but thats what I was hoping for last time but the Tzeentch DP ate a Banishment turn 1 You never know!
All I can say is I disagree and practically all the top lists I've seen have the DP fully kitted-out. But making him absolutely the best fighter possible and using Sorcerers for the magic would be interesting to see.

Those blocks might struggle to see meaningful combat if the WE player is on his mettle. I think Ambushing is a really good idea to close the distance quickly. The Razorgor and Shaggoth should help. As I usually say, I think you'll miss the Scroll and more Magic Missiles would have been good. Depends what combat troops the elves bring though, to some extent.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1023 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote: I used to field a Lvl 4 Keeper of Secrets on Slaanesh, so he could get in close and unleash the Caco. I remember reading a post by Keith Bonneau, formerly of this forum. He made the point that sometimes the Lore needed more direct threat at range. He was dead right because I found that nukes like Gateway and Bolt of Change complemented it really well.
I think in general you want some sort of ranged threat in an army list. And in (most) chaos lists that threat needs to come primarily from magic (or a skillcanon). As such, I agree that ranged damage spells have a place in chaos lists (more so even then in others).

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1024 Post by SpellArcher »

I'm often struck by how fast elves achieve board control against WoC. Unless the player is sharp and has solutions built in, any redirecting tends to get done by the elves. Big threats like dragons can also be a headache because if these roam free it can play merry hell with your battle plan. Lore of Tzeentch in particular keeps these honest because it's damage spells hurt virtually anything.

The other approach is simply to build for speed. If most of your army is mounted and hits hard, elves will have trouble redirecting all of it. Usually here, the Daemon Prince carries the magic. The combination of flight, 1+AS, virtual immunity to fire, 5+ Ward and Unbreakable means he's very likely to get into combat quickly and with Slaanesh, Nurgle or Death magic say, can cast very effectively.
RE.Lee

#1025 Post by RE.Lee »

Will give the fully kitted DP another try in a dedicated list. Its common knowledge they rock, but I've been unable to make them work so far. I do not intend to give up trying.

Elf board control is frightening indeed. Warriors of Chaos might be able to deal with it thanks to speed, but the Beastmen will face an uphill struggle. I think my opponent will want to clear my Razorgor first and the big units will be redirected till they are shot to pieces. The ambushers are my only hope perhaps.

I've got little ranged threat - Lore of Beasts is not that hot when it comes to magic missiles, my 2400 draft has more - perhaps at 2k the Hagtree Fetish+ Ruby Ring would also be more useful than the Jagged Dagger?
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1026 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Will give the fully kitted DP another try in a dedicated list. Its common knowledge they rock, but I've been unable to make them work so far. I do not intend to give up trying.
Bravo!
RE.Lee wrote:Elf board control is frightening indeed. Warriors of Chaos might be able to deal with it thanks to speed, but the Beastmen will face an uphill struggle. I think my opponent will want to clear my Razorgor first and the big units will be redirected till they are shot to pieces. The ambushers are my only hope perhaps.
It does depend what your opponent is bringing RE. Any clues on this?
RE.Lee wrote:I've got little ranged threat - Lore of Beasts is not that hot when it comes to magic missiles, my 2400 draft has more - perhaps at 2k the Hagtree Fetish+ Ruby Ring would also be more useful than the Jagged Dagger?
Probably so. The main Wood Elf combat threat tends to be Wild Riders. Other than that it's often how to lay a glove on those damn archers.
RE.Lee

#1027 Post by RE.Lee »

He's bound to take something similar to what the Wood Elves looked like at Carroburg. 400 extra points will probably be spent on an Archmage and other stuff.

So - Wild Riders riding down a flank, using the Eternal Guards as an anvil, with the Treekin and Treeman shielding the Glade Guards/Scout/Waywatchers. Some eagles to go in the way of the assaulting force.

Perhaps going 2x 3x10 to cover as much space as possible is the way to go?
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1028 Post by Prince of Spires »

RE.Lee wrote:Elf board control is frightening indeed
This is my experience as well, but I'm always surprised by it. Many of the options we have other armies have as well. Perhaps in slightly different form. But most armies have some combination of fast cavalry (in core), cheap flying units, scouts and ambushers. Yes, elves tend to come with some build in advantages, like high LD and ASF. But for a unit whose main purpose is to die, they are also expensive.

So why is it that elves have such great board control compared to other armies? Are our board control units better? Or is it simply that we take them while other armies tend to go for the harder hitting options since they can get away with grinding combats? Or something else?

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1029 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Treekin and Treeman
In general these are not great, especially the Treekin RE. But lightly-armoured infantry are not their most difficult opponent. At least they give you something to get stuck into. A shame you haven't got Eternal Flame to exploit the Flammable but Banner of Swiftness may be better for all-comers and the S6 will trouble them.
RE.Lee wrote:Perhaps going 2x 3x10 to cover as much space as possible is the way to go?
Could be worth it to maximise attacks but watch out for combo-charges.
Prince of Spires wrote:So why is it that elves have such great board control compared to other armies?
I think it's the ability to shoot down enemy redirectors quickly Rod.
RE.Lee

#1030 Post by RE.Lee »

Yup, the Treekin might not be that good (the Shaggoth sure showed them last time!) but my friend just couldn't resist the new models with two handed weapons (for AoS).

Elf board control comes from a combination of decent shooting and nice chaff. The former while so-so against main units, is really effective against redirectors - the RBT has a great range and can deal just enough damage to panic units of less disciplined races. The latter benefits from ASF a lot - in fights between small units this is often crucial and Reavers just wipe out Marauder, TK Horsemen, Warhounds, Pistoliers...
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1031 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:The latter benefits from ASF a lot - in fights between small units this is often crucial
Elf archers often surprise. Multiple WS 4 ASF attacks can do great work, even at Strength 3.

Game this weekend?
RE.Lee

#1032 Post by RE.Lee »

Next :wink:

I wonder if going for Mark of Khorne isn't something of a handicap in this match-up. My unit should win with whatever they manage to pin down anyway and I'm risking being put out of position due to frenzy. Being immune to panic is useful though, as my general is only Ld 8...
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1033 Post by SpellArcher »

Mark of Khorne looks playable to me RE. Tzeentch is tempting. It helps your characters defensively and supercharges your magic phase. Could you fit Crown of Command on your General?
RE.Lee

#1034 Post by RE.Lee »

I don't think Crown of Command would do be good. I'm unlikely to lose combats, though its possible I panic with my chaff. Banner of Discipline would be good but that would mean dropping the hugely important Banner of the Beast or sticking the Great Shaman in the Bestigors and exchangind their +1M for +1Ld. Neither seems like a good deal.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1035 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:I'm unlikely to lose combats
Wild Riders and Treemen are both very dangerous. Granted the Gors would be Steadfast but not indefinitely.
RE.Lee wrote:its possible I panic with my chaff.
Good point. I think in Bestigor with +1 Ld is a good shout.
RE.Lee

#1036 Post by RE.Lee »

Even if my Gors are only down to the command group + characters, I've got 12 S4 and 8 S5 attacks, most likely with re-rolls to hit. I'm really counting on those guys :lol:

The BotBeast/BoDiscipline is a tough call... At 2400 I'd have a Beastlord and less of a dilemma :wink:
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1037 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Even if my Gors are only down to the command group + characters, I've got 12 S4 and 8 S5 attacks, most likely with re-rolls to hit. I'm really counting on those guys
What worries me is that won't do much to the Treeman and Wild Riders go first with a ton of high strength attacks. Beasts makes sense to boost your fighting power but you need to get the spells through, Power Stone maybe? Another option is to go Shadow because Pit of Shades will scare the tree spirits and Miasma's always useful. I'd look to go ranged on the support caster then though.
RE.Lee wrote:The BotBeast/BoDiscipline is a tough call... At 2400 I'd have a Beastlord and less of a dilemma
I'd cut Banner of Swiftness instead. It's nice but those Panic tests could be grim and I think the Gors really need the +1 Strength.
RE.Lee

#1038 Post by RE.Lee »

I'm counting on the Jagged Dagger to help me with casting spells. Its only going to work late in the game (if it works at all), but it should allow me to win any combats with whatever is left of my infantry blocks. I'm especially looking forward to unleashing S5/T5 Gors with 3 attacks each :lol:

Power Stone was tempting but I decided to listen to you this time and take a Dispel Scroll :wink:

I still believe the WE fighters won't be a match for my guys, but they can snipe my characters. I've already decided on going wide, so I should be relatively safe on the edge of my units, but I'm thinking about dropping the Chalice (against all those bows, am I mad?) and getting a ward save on my Great Shaman. He's pretty crucial to the list and the Asrai have plenty of living missiles to target him. I could fit in the Talisman of Preservation - together with T5 and W3 it should keep me pretty safe.

The Banner of Discipline is in, M5 on the Bestigors will have to do.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1039 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:I'm counting on the Jagged Dagger to help me with casting spells. Its only going to work late in the game
Worries me re board control but it'll be interesting to see how it goes.
RE.Lee wrote:ward save on my Great Shaman.
Good call.
RE.Lee

#1040 Post by RE.Lee »

Its bound to be fun :)

IC Knights almost done, meanwhile here's a blast from the recent past:

Last edited by RE.Lee on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1041 Post by Prince of Spires »

They're both pretty bad-ass :) And the winter theme on the base works very well with the color scheme.

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1042 Post by SpellArcher »

I feel like there should be a spell to animate the Griffon and make him bash stuff.

:)
RE.Lee

#1043 Post by RE.Lee »

@SpellArcher - there definitely should!

@Prince of Spires - thanks! I'm still unsure whether I like the old snow flock or the new technical goo more :?

Also, Knights done. Now on to the Halberdiers!

cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1044 Post by Prince of Spires »

RE.Lee wrote:hanks! I'm still unsure whether I like the old snow flock or the new technical goo more
What's the difference?

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1045 Post by RE.Lee »

The old stuff is just very fine white flock. You apply it like any static grass and it looks quite nice and puffy. I use it on my Empire dudes.

The new stuff is hard to describe but the final effect is that of wet snow. It takes more time to apply to the base, as you need a brush or something. It has more depth to it and you can build up heaps as if with the new texture paints. I use it one the Chaos guys.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1046 Post by SpellArcher »

I like the red and white on the knights RE. Your style is quite dark overall and these go well I think.
RE.Lee

#1047 Post by RE.Lee »

It is quite dark - I'm usually faithful to black undercoat :wink:

Rumble in Drakwald happened yesterday:

Beastmen:
Great Bray-Shaman, Level 4 Beasts, MoK, Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Preservation, Many-limbed Fiend, Additional Hand Weapon (for a total of 5 attacks :twisted: )
Bray Shaman, Level 1 Shadow, MoK, Jagged Dagger, Chalice of Dark Rain
Wargor BSB, Beast Banner, 2+ save, MoK

28 Gors, additional hand weapons, MoK, command
15 Gors, additional hand weapons, MoS, command (in ambush)
2x5 Ungor Raiders

29 Bestigor, Mok, command, Banner of Discipline
2xRazorgor
Shaggoth, additional hand weapon

Wood Elves:
Level 2 Life, Dispel Scroll
Level 2 Beasts, Power Stone
BSB, Hail of Doom Arrow
Branchwraith

15is Glade Guards, command, +1 to wound
15ish Eternal Guards, command
14 Driads
2x5 Scouts, poisoned attacks
5 Wild Riders
6 Treekin
Treeman
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1048 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Level 4 Beasts, MoK,
Gotta love this.

:)
RE.Lee wrote:Branchwraith
Not bad. The level 4 gives you an edge in magic RE, though if he rolls Dwellers it could get a bit hairy. His shooting will obviously be a pain. I guess in a straight-up fight MoK will help a lot, though Stomps could hurt. The tree spirits are decent against you but they reduce his chances of outmaneouvering you.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1049 Post by Prince of Spires »

RE.Lee wrote:The old stuff is just very fine white flock. You apply it like any static grass and it looks quite nice and puffy. I use it on my Empire dudes.

The new stuff is hard to describe but the final effect is that of wet snow. It takes more time to apply to the base, as you need a brush or something. It has more depth to it and you can build up heaps as if with the new texture paints. I use it one the Chaos guys.
It sounds like they would actually complement each other quite well :)

I can't comment much on the lists, since I'm not very familiar with Beastmen. But it looks fun, and the picture makes it look like an epic battle. Looking forward to the report.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1050 Post by RE.Lee »

Prince of Spires wrote: It sounds like they would actually complement each other quite well :)
Haven't tried yet :wink:

Note: Double Warhounds proxy as Razorgors.

Deployment:

I got Savage Beast, Amber Spear, Flock of Doom and Wildform on the Great Shaman, while his apprentice defaulted to Miasma.

The Elves got Wildform, Kadon, Flesh to Stone, Wind Blast and Iceshard (it was Heavens not Life on one of the level 2s)

Turn 1:

Surprisingly the Asrai advance down the flanks - primarily the stronger, right one. Magic does nothing of note, while shooting puts two wounds on the Shaggoth and kills some 5 Bestigors.

I move up with my hordes. The Shaggoth attempts a charge at the Treeman but fails. The chaff moves around trying to do something useful. Magic does little, shooting even less :P

Turn 2.

The Elves charge! Wild Riders into the Shaggoths flank, Driads and Treeman into the Gors. The eagles goes behind my lines, trying to benefit somehow. I let through Iceshard on the Gors, despite burning a scroll. Shooting once again targets the Bestigors mostly, but a Razorgor suffers too - he loses 2 wounds but manages to pass a panic test on Ld6!
The Wild Riders manage to put two wounds on the Shaggoth, but the retaliation is brutal and all 5 perish. The Gors kill some 10 Driads, lose around 5 of their own number and force the Tree Maidens to flee! The Treeman stays put, though.

I counter-attack with the Shaggoth and charge the Treeman. Elsewhere the Bestigors assault the Treekin. A Razorgor tries his luck against scouts but is shot down as he charges. The other one goes for the fleeing Driads, but fails to catch them. The ambushing Gors enter, on the southern edge. No success in the magic phase, but I finally burn my opponents scroll. The Ungors shoot an elf!
The Shaggoth and Gors wound the Treeman and win the combat, but the Forest Spirit is going nowhere. The Bestigors butcher the Treekin and overrun beyond the Glade Guard, which is unfortunate.

Quite a battle so far. I've gained a lot on the right, but the left doesn't look as good now. The heaps of S4 attacks are not doing much and the Shaggoth is on its last legs.
Last edited by RE.Lee on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee