RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies"

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

RE.Lee

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies" - End Times Reloaded!

#901 Post by RE.Lee »

Lore of Beasts is really good, even if mostly about the signature. Lore of the Wild seems lackluster in comparison.

Like a true classic, the battle had bits when everything seemed to go against me only for things to go completely my way a moment later. I'll take this turn by turn :wink:

Turn 3.

I charge the Gyrocopter with my remaining Ogres. The machine flees and I redirect towards the Quarrellers, whose shooting does little damage. I win the combat by 1 or 2 points and somehow manage to break the Dwarfs and run them down. This is big.

Elsewhere the Warriors rally and I manage to cast Wildform on them as they ready to once again clash with the Longbeards.

I also cast Crows on the Organ Gun and finish off the crew.

Then I finally land a direct hit on the Longbeards with the Hellcannon. My opponent goes crazy with his ward saves but I still take out some 8 guys.

The Dwarfs are shellshocked but push on. The Longbeards charge my Warriors. I challenge with my champion. The Dawi champ accepts and I get chopped to pieces despite my buff. Ouch. I cause some damage with the Warriors but lose badly. I pick up my dice for the leadership test and roll... double 1! Insane courage!

Rarely have I been so surprised by how a battle of Warhammer can develop and this one is not over yet (hint: it will be next turn)!
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#902 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Lore of Beasts is really good, even if mostly about the signature
With elves I found it serviceable but lacking the impact of High Magic. Maybe stronger with other armies?
RE.Lee wrote:Lore of the Wild seems lackluster in comparison.
A lot of guys rate it the worst Lore.
RE.Lee wrote:I redirect towards the Quarrellers,
Nice!
RE.Lee wrote:I also cast Crows on the Organ Gun and finish off the crew.
This spell is so underrated.
RE.Lee wrote:double 1! Insane courage!
That's just rude.

:)
RE.Lee

#903 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:I also cast Crows on the Organ Gun and finish off the crew.
This spell is so underrated.
Funny how it doesn't matter what strength your attacks are against a warmachine. Even more so if you get to re-roll failed to-wound rolls. I'm tempted to try Viletide (5d6 S1 hits) from the Lore of the Wild in this capacity. Luckily its available as a bound spell.

Turn 4.

I consider helping out the Warriors, but backpedal with the Gors in the end. The Hellcannon misses once again, as the lone Ogre advances towards the Cannon. I cast Wildform on the last 3 Warriors and, more importantly, Savage Beast of Horrors on the Great Bray Shaman! This gives him 5 S7 attacks that could be crucial in the coming combat.

The Longbeards charge in, despite my attempt to put some distance between us. The Shaman and the Champion fight a challenge, which I easily win, tearing the dwarf to pieces. The Gors do some damage (love Primatl Fury!) but the Dwarfs come out on top. I need an 8 or less to make the break test but I roll a 9. No re-roll unfortunately, as the BSB has been dead for some time now. I break and flee off the table. The Hellcannon gets shot to bits by the Cannon, while the last Ogre is crushed by the Gyrocopter.

I got wiped out!

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#904 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Funny how it doesn't matter what strength your attacks are against a warmachine. Even more so if you get to re-roll failed to-wound rolls. I'm tempted to try Viletide (5d6 S1 hits) from the Lore of the Wild in this capacity. Luckily its available as a bound spell.
Yeah, Viletide is interesting, especially with the re-rolls. High Toughness is great but without a decent saving throw it can go down fast to massed low-strength attacks. It's a bit like Poison.
RE.Lee wrote:The Hellcannon gets shot to bits by the Cannon,
Take your Monster & Handlers save?

Game of luck swings wasn't it RE? You weren't able to gang up on the Horde and that seemed to cost you.
RE.Lee

#905 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote: Take your Monster & Handlers save?
Didn't actually :? I did manage to fail my ward save twice.

Loved the swings in the battle. I was on the ropes on turn 2, then really got back into it, only to get wiped out due to a couple bad rolls in the end.
The horde dealt with me piecemeal, which was a shame. Losing the BSB was crucial, had he another turn with all that power from the Sword of Antiheroes things might have looked differently.

I also really missed bodies on the front - another reason against the Herdstone. I'll try the Jagged Dagger (a PD for every kill by the Shaman) next time - I get him to 6 attacks at S5, re-rolling misses to hit. Perhaps the Dwarfs are not the best target here, but imagine slamming him into a unit of Skaven Slaves!

I'm having great fun with making Beastmen army lists in general. They got a real boost thanks to Legion of Chaos - those marks make humble Gors really hitty. Additional hand weapons, Mark of Khorne, +1S banner on a BSB and a unit of 30 can deal solid damage. A good Bestigor horde to its side, with +1M. The Chalice of Dark Rain (basically Storm Banner for 1 turn) to protect me from shooters and I should be good to go.

Really need to get some Chaos painted #-o
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#906 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Didn't actually
Hellcannon have a lot of tricks.
RE.Lee wrote:I'm having great fun with making Beastmen army lists in general. They got a real boost thanks to Legion of Chaos - those marks make humble Gors really hitty. Additional hand weapons, Mark of Khorne, +1S banner on a BSB and a unit of 30 can deal solid damage. A good Bestigor horde to its side, with +1M. The Chalice of Dark Rain (basically Storm Banner for 1 turn) to protect me from shooters and I should be good to go.
All good, isn't it? That's before you get to multiple 3++ Doombulls which are (appropriately) pure filth.
RE.Lee wrote:Really need to get some Chaos painted
So little time, so many spikes.

RE.Lee

#907 Post by RE.Lee »

Minotaurs sound fun but I hate the models, so they're right out.

Here's a draft list at 2k:

Great Bray-Shaman, Level 4 Beasts, Brass Cleaver, Talisman of Endurance, Jagged Dagger, Many Limbed Fiend, Mark of Khorne
Wargor BSB, Gnarled Hide, Heavy Armour, Shield, Beast Banner, Mark of Khorne
Bray Shaman, Level 1 Shadow, Additional Hand Weapon, Hagtree Fetish

27 Gors, Additional Hand Weapons, Command, Mark of Khorne
18 Gors, Additional Hand Weapons, Command, Mark of Slaneesh
2x5 Ungor Raiders

30 Bestigor, Command, Banner of Swiftness, Mark of Khorne
Gorebeast Chariot
Shaggoth

So, two strong units closing in on the enemy. The general gets around 7 S5 attacks and each wound gets me an additional power dice - this should allow me to get those buffs/hexes into key combats to break any opposition. Raiders and small Gors ambush to get rid of any war machines.

Things to consider - Dark Rain Chalice would really help to keep shooting at bay for a turn. Dropping the Hagtree Fetish and a few Gors/Ungors would get me the points.

I've also done a Gor test model. Quite happy with the look of him, limited palette and all.

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#908 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Minotaurs sound fun but I hate the models, so they're right out.
I remember them getting a lot of stick on release, for the musculature.
RE.Lee wrote:Wargor BSB, Gnarled Hide, Heavy Armour, Shield, Beast Banner, Mark of Khorne
We have a winner!
RE.Lee wrote:each wound gets me an additional power dice
I'd take a scroll but you know that already.
RE.Lee wrote: Raiders and small Gors ambush to get rid of any war machines.
You might want a bit of chaff on-table. The cheap chariots are quite versatile.
RE.Lee wrote: Things to consider - Dark Rain Chalice would really help to keep shooting at bay for a turn.
This.
RE.Lee wrote:Quite happy with the look of him
He's nice. But you're going with the more popular AHW on the units RE?
RE.Lee

#909 Post by RE.Lee »

I'd like the Minotaurs much more if they looked more like the Ogroid-something from WQ: Silver Tower...

A scroll is all nice, but Dwarfs are still likely to be my most common opponent. Maybe when the Wood Elves will be ready?

I'm going for THW but I already have a decent number of Gors assembled by my cousin, so expect to see some HW&S models. I also like some variation within the unit, just in case I'd want to field a Mordheim warband. Just in case. :wink:

I was considering the chariots, as well as the Pumbas. Not sure about the models so far - I'm considering using the Boar Boy mounts - they look so much more appealing.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#910 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote: I'm considering using the Boar Boy mounts - they look so much more appealing.
You used to get those with the Beastman chariot but with warped metal heads I believe.
RE.Lee

#911 Post by RE.Lee »

No, these are the new models, Savage Boar Boys to be precise, they have really nice piggy sculpts :wink:
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#912 Post by SpellArcher »

I'm with you now.

I prefer the gumbyish older ones but the new ones are decent too.
RE.Lee

#913 Post by RE.Lee »

I'm still going strong painting my Chaos/Beastmen.

The Bestigors got their test model - I've changed the horn colours to differentiate them from the Gors as the skin tone and other stuff remained more or less the same. The fur is a bit more orange though it doesn't really show on the photo.

I also painted the Shaggoth! Its a great model, despite the miscast in the Finecast resin... I went for a dark skin tone, like I did with my Maneater/Phoenix Guard Filler (remember him?). The white hair underlines his veteran status - I loved the two dudes riding on top of him and painted the orange to make them pop!

I'm also slowly painting the Chaos Warrior BSB on foot, who performed so poorly last time. Painted models fight better, right?

With another player joining our Marienburg mega-battle, I'm likely to include another Chaos Horde (probably Tzeentch). So Khorne will keep to decide what to dispel, while his two younger brothers will roll for who gets to be in charge of casting each turn.

Things might still change depending on who shows up in the end.
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#914 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote: I also painted the Shaggoth!
Scary guy!
RE.Lee wrote:Painted models fight better, right?
Indisputably.
RE.Lee wrote:probably Tzeentch)
This is going to mean trouble!

RE.Lee

#915 Post by RE.Lee »

I just need to get that Shaggoth on the table as quick as possible, so I'm fighting a re-match against Dwarfs with my Legion of Chaos. It 2400 points per side this time, so reinforcements have arrived. Still a regular pitched battle - I'm leaving confusing objectives for the weekend :wink:

Here's the list I've come up with.

Beastlord, Brass Cleaver, Talisman of Preservation, HA, Enchated Shield, OTS, Mark of Khorne
Great Bray-Shaman, Jagged Dagger, Ruby Ring of Ruin, Chalice of Dark Rain, extra hand weapon, extra limb, Mark of Khorne (weird, I know, but I need those 5 attacks for my Jagged Dagger)
Wargor BSB, Gnarled Hide, Heavy Armour, shield, Beast Banner, Mark of Khorne

18 Chaos Warriors, shields, command
32 Gors, extra weapon, command, Mark of Khorne
30 Bestigors, command, Mark of Khorne, Banner of Swiftness
Shaggoth, extra weapon
3 Skullcrushers, command, Ensorcelled Weapons

A pretty direct list, with so many nice threats to keep the Stunties busy. The Crushers will take one flank, joined by the Shaggoth. The Bestigors will secure the other, taking advantage of their extra movement (M6, yay!). The Gors and all the characters will hold the center - thats a LOT of attacks, all at +1S thanks to the banner. The OTS on the Beastlord (such a brute anyway) should take care of any shieldwall shenanigans. Not sure where to put the Warriors. Hopefully the Chalice will limit my casualties on the way - I should be in combat turn 2 anyway, with whatever is left from the Crusher/Shaggoth combo. Once in combat the Jagged Dagger should sway things my way - before that happens my magic phase is nothing to write home about, I had to drop a small Shaman with the lovely Hagtree Fetish to make points for the Crushers (whats a Khorne list without them?).

Opinions are welcome as always, and expect a report to follow soon :wink:
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#916 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Great Bray-Shaman
Any way to get more protection on this guy?
RE.Lee wrote: Mark of Khorne
This is legal?

RE.Lee wrote:A pretty direct list
Yeah, I'd say so!
RE.Lee wrote:Banner of Swiftness
Good call.
RE.Lee wrote:The Crushers will take one flank, joined by the Shaggoth.
Clearly the Dwarfs need to shoot these down but as you say RE the Chalice should help a bit. Normally I would worry about an infantry list getting to a Dwarf army quickly enough but your opponent likes a punch-up so missile casualties shouldn't be horrific. I guess if he's canny he might redirect your Frenzied blocks with gyrocopter (given you'd have compulsory Overrun/Pursuit), so how you approach could be important.
RE.Lee

#917 Post by RE.Lee »

Re-checked Glottkin and Mark of Khorne on a wizard seems totally ok :wink: I'd love some extra defense in the Shaman, but I'm hoping the presence of the Beastlord and BSB - much more direct threats - will distract the enemy. He's still T5 and will be placed in the corner of the unit, so that should be helpful in limiting the damage he suffers.

Beastmen characters are such powerhouses! Building a fighter is so much easier when you get T5 most of the time. Even a BSB on foot with a magical banner can be kept alive quite easily. A far cry from our Elven squishy T3!

Frenzy might be a problem - I haven't really played with anything frenzied for years (Deathfrenzy maybe?) so we'll see how it goes. Luckily, my opponent hasn't had much experience against Khorne lists either! I'd get some Ungor screens if I had the models - maybe deploying the Warriors wide in front of the Gor horde would be helpful?

No idea how the Dwarfs will look like yet - I'll likely meet some Irondrakes, as might friend bought 20 after the last battle :lol:
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

#918 Post by RE.Lee »

Dwarfs:

Lord on Shieldbearers, 1+ save, Rune of Might x2, 4+ ward
BSB, Grungni
Engineer
2x Runesmith, Spellbreaking, Spelleating

40ish Longbeards
12 Thunderers
12 Hammerers
20 Irondrakes
10 Slayers
Cannon, Organ Gun
Gyrocopter

Deployment:

I set up as planned - the Beastmen masses in the center, big dudes to the right. The Warriors don't really fit in, but they'll attempt a flanking maneuver round the tower.

The Dwarfs take the center, around the hill. Shooters are deployed on the flanks.

I get Wildform, Curse of Anraheir, Savage Beast and Amber Spear
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#919 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:I'd love some extra defense in the Shaman
They used to get Chaos Armour I believe. Still so?

I think you need to get two Crushers into those Irondrakes. Question is whether your foe can take a couple down and the Shaggoth too. I suspect he needs to focus fire on the fast stuff which makes the Bestigor a big threat, I'm not sure the Hammerers will hold them.

As discussed, magic probably won't pay off until late game, barring a lucky IF earlier.
RE.Lee

#920 Post by RE.Lee »

No Chaos armour for the Shamans I'm afraid. In fact - no armour at all. All they can get is gnarled hide for a 5+ scaly skin, but thats more useful elsewhere.

Turn 1.
I get to go first and I activate the Chalice. Nice. Everything moves up quickly, except for the Warriors, who are SLOW AF. I manage to cast a fireball at the Gyrocopter, putting two wounds on it.

The Dwarfs push up to meet me. The Gyrocopter, already close to going down, flies in to block the Crushers. Shooting is hampered by the Chalice and only causes 4 wounds on the Shaggoth.

Turn 2.

Charge! The Bestigors assault the Hammerers and kill ALL OF THEM. Only the Lord and Smith are left standing, but they flee before the onslaught and are run down. I pursue into the Thunderers. The Gors and Shaggoth take on the Longbeards, I kill some 14, lose 16 and the combat continues. The Crushers charge the Gyrocopter and are redirected towards the Chapel.

What a disaster for the Dwarfs! Can they respond? The Slayers join the big combat (they are already there in the photo above, which is a mistake) - they bring down the Shaggoth, but are unable to save the Longbeards, who are decimated and flee. The Bestigors finish off the Thunderers and keep on going due to frenzy. The cannon fails to wound a Crusher despite getting a perfect flank shot. The Organ Gun manages to kill one though.

Turn 3.
I turn the Bestigors around towards the hill. The Crushers try to get into position as well. The Gors finish off the Slayers and I cast Wildform on myself for extra protection against shooting (the extra dice came in handy).

The Longbeards rally but are now in the way of the Bestigors. Shooting finally does something - another Crusher dies as well as all the Gors (only the characters remain).

Turn 4.
The Bestigors charge and kill an Engineer, while Crusher slays the Organ Gun crew. The Beastlord and his buddies assault the remnants of the Longbeard unit, win but are held.

A couple Bestigors die to shooting. I lose the Shaman to the Longbeards, as the Beastlord is busy slaying one opponent after another in challenges.

Turn 5.
The Bestigors move towards the Irondrakes. The Beastlord and BSB finish off the Longbeards. The Warriors keep moving down the field :lol:

The Irondrakes decide to charge - they have hatred and S5 on the first turn and they go first. They do their best, killing some 8 Bestigors but the retaliation is brutal and 14 Dwarfs are hacked to pieces. The last few flee and the battle is over.

Chaos victory!
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#921 Post by SpellArcher »

A stunning riposte!

RE.Lee wrote:No Chaos armour for the Shamans I'm afraid. In fact - no armour at all. All they can get is gnarled hide for a 5+ scaly skin, but thats more useful elsewhere.
Goes with Beast Banner every time.
RE.Lee wrote:The Dwarfs push up to meet me.
[-X
RE.Lee wrote:Shooting is hampered by the Chalice and only causes 4 wounds on the Shaggoth.
Ànd we're off...
RE.Lee wrote:Charge! The Bestigors assault the Hammerers and kill ALL OF THEM. Only the Lord and Smith are left standing, but they flee before the onslaught and are run down. I pursue into the Thunderers.
Called it! Funny how they'd probably have held on Stubborn had one survived.
RE.Lee wrote:The Slayers join the big combat (they are already there in the photo above, which is a mistake) - they bring down the Shaggoth, but are unable to save the Longbeards, who are decimated and flee.
I think it was Chaos that got the timing right this game, getting the Shaggoth in first round.
RE.Lee wrote:The Bestigors finish off the Thunderers and keep on going due to frenzy.
Bless!
RE.Lee wrote:Crusher slays the Organ Gun crew.
This is where you know it's gone horribly wrong for the Dwarfs.
RE.Lee wrote: The Irondrakes decide to charge
Brave...but futile.

To paraphrase the conclusion to one of my favourite battle reports:

"The Chaos Warriors were not engaged."

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#922 Post by Prince of Spires »

That started going wrong for the dwarves T2 and just kept getting worse. Congrats on the win. I'm wondering what the dwarves could have done differently. They didn't have enough shooting to play the waiting game. But they were to drawn out for one on one fighting. Or even any fighting. The beastmen could just focus most of their army on the dwarf centre and be confident that the dwarf flanks would be too slow to join in the fighting in any meaningful way.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#923 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks for the comments!

I think the Dwarfs could have committed to the Irondrakes more - they had a big unit, but I could have been deployed in the center, with a big Banner of Slowness to really hamper the Beastmen advance. When used well it can guarantee 3-4 shot against attackers that either risk charging or approach really close. They could then charge in with multiple units an overwhelm one of the big units, while the other fights Slayers, Thunderers, Gyrocopter.

The Bestigor vs Hammerers fight was crucial - it was a very good match-up for me and I took advantage of that. The Bestigors would have had more problems against the Longbeards with shieldwall, here they just demolished the Stunties.

A few points learnt:

Bestigors are just brutal. They hit like a ton of bricks and the Banner of Swiftness makes them enter combat pretty much turn 2. My new favourite unit.

Chalice of Dark Rain - a must have, great synergy with the rest of the list. No schizofrenia, like with the Storm Banner, as it only works on the opponents turn and you have pretty much no shooting anyway.

Shaman - the Jagged Dagger was a miss, I think. Once I'm in combat I don't really need that many dice I think. I'm considering the Hagtree Fetish again, those re-rolls to wound are a great thing.

BSB - outstanding, the Banner of the Beast is massive on Gors with the Mark of Khorne. He turned out to be pretty survivable - T5 goes a long way.

Beastlord - a real powerhouse. I thought putting all 3 characters in one unit was a bit of an overkill, but he helped swing the fight against the Longbeards my way. He wa stuck in challenges most of the time so didn't benefit from his Cleaver as much as I'd like (it an extra attack for every enemy in base contact, max 1 in a challenge)

Crushers - a let down, again. They got distracted by the Gyrocopter (someone had to be I guess), then had problems getting back into the game. They are scary though and attracted a lot of shooting.

Shaggoth - decent. Way key in breaking the Longbeards and even managed to withstand the Slayers for a round, but was doomed as soon as the entered

Warriors - jeez, these guys are slow! Putting them on a flank didn't help, maybe they'd do better as a reserve in case on of the Beastmen unit got shot to pieces? An ambushing unit of Gors would have been a better and more entertaining idea I think.

Thanks for reading, we're fighting at Marienburg tomorrow so stay tuned!

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#924 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:That started going wrong for the dwarves T2 and just kept getting worse. Congrats on the win. I'm wondering what the dwarves could have done differently. They didn't have enough shooting to play the waiting game. But they were to drawn out for one on one fighting. Or even any fighting. The beastmen could just focus most of their army on the dwarf centre and be confident that the dwarf flanks would be too slow to join in the fighting in any meaningful way.
It was definitely an error for the Longbeards to invite the charge from the Gors plus Shaggoth Rod. Maybe the Dwarfs overestimated the Horde power after it went through most of the Chaos army on it's own last game?
RE.Lee wrote:I think the Dwarfs could have committed to the Irondrakes more - they had a big unit, but I could have been deployed in the center, with a big Banner of Slowness to really hamper the Beastmen advance. When used well it can guarantee 3-4 shot against attackers that either risk charging or approach really close. They could then charge in with multiple units an overwhelm one of the big units, while the other fights Slayers, Thunderers, Gyrocopter.
I agree RE, the Irondrake firepower was underused and as you say, they can fight too.
RE.Lee wrote: The Bestigor vs Hammerers fight was crucial - it was a very good match-up for me and I took advantage of that. The Bestigors would have had more problems against the Longbeards with shieldwall, here they just demolished the Stunties.
Hammerers can be vicious because of the two S6 attacks and potential Hatred but they need numbers to make proper use of the Stubborn, especially given ASL.
RE.Lee wrote:I'm considering the Hagtree Fetish again, those re-rolls to wound are a great thing.
Ranged attacks were less important here but I think it's a good idea to have the option through spellcasting.
RE.Lee wrote:I thought putting all 3 characters in one unit was a bit of an overkill,
No Dwellers, no worries!

RE.Lee wrote:Crushers - a let down, again. They got distracted by the Gyrocopter (someone had to be I guess), then had problems getting back into the game. They are scary though and attracted a lot of shooting.
I think they're a great pick for these lists because they demand attention and the 1+ AS can go a long way.
RE.Lee wrote:Shaggoth - decent. Way key in breaking the Longbeards and even managed to withstand the Slayers for a round, but was doomed as soon as the entered
He's generally thought of as a bit of a soft pick but he did you proud here.
RE.Lee wrote:Warriors - jeez, these guys are slow! Putting them on a flank didn't help, maybe they'd do better as a reserve in case on of the Beastmen unit got shot to pieces? An ambushing unit of Gors would have been a better and more entertaining idea I think.
I would put them down first, dead centre. But I agree the Ambushing Gors might be a better fit.
RE.Lee wrote:Thanks for reading, we're fighting at Marienburg tomorrow so stay tuned!
=D>
RE.Lee

#925 Post by RE.Lee »

The lists.

Empire:
Archlector on War Altar - Great Weapon, Healing Potion
Wizard Lord - Level 4 Light, Power Stone
Wizard - Level 1 Light, Dispel Scroll
Wizard - Level 1 Light
BSB - Plate Armour, Enchanted Shield
Master Engineer
Warrior Priest, barder steed, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour
40 Halberdiers, command
2x12 Handgunners, command
9 IC Knights, command
30 Greatswords, command
3 Demigryphs
6 Outriders
5 Pistoliers, champion with brace including repeater pistols
Cannon
Hellblaster
Steam Tank

Tomb Kings:
Tomb King on Warsphinx - Great Weapon, Shield, Healing Potion, Armour of Destiny, Fiery Breath
Liche High Priest - Level 4 Nehakhara, Wand of Jet, Talisman of Endurance
21 Skeleton Archers, command
2x5 Horse Archers
3 Chariots
3 Necropolis Knights, Entombed
Necrosphinx
Casket of Souls

Khorne:
Bloodthirster
Exalted Hero, barded chaos steed, shield, Mark of Khorne
18 Chaos Warriors, shields, command, Mark of Khorne
5 Marauder Horsemen, spears
5 Chaos Knights, st, mu, ensorcelled weapons, Mark of Khorne
5 Fleshhounds
3 Skullcrushers, st, my, ensorcelled weapons

Tzeentch:
Daemon Prince, Level 4 Tzeentch, Flight, Chaos Armour, Charmed Shield, Soulfeeder
Exalted Hero BSB, shield, Mark of Tzeentch
14 Chaos Warriors, shields, command, Mark of Tzeentch
2x5 Marauder Horsemen
Chaos Chariot
5 Chaos Knights, lances, command, Mark of Tzeentch
Hellcannon

Nurgle (me):
Sorcerer Lord, Level 4 Nurgle, Power Stone, Scaled Skin, Mark of Nurgle
Wargor BSB, Gnarled Hide, Heavy Armour, Beast Banner, Mark of Nurgle
24 Gors, command, Additional Hand Weapon, Mark of Nurgle
10 Plaguebearers, command
18 Bestigors, command, Mark of Nurgle
Gorebeast Chariot, Mark of Nurgle
Shaggoth

Like I've mentioned - the Chaos forces lose together but win individually. Regular VP are used.
We'll dice off for control of the magic phase with Tzeentch, while Khorne will be in control of dispelling.

The defenders have a lot of shooting - hopefully it'll be directed against Khorne mostly, as he's the more obvious threat. I wonder what the magic phase will look like - Khorne will defend himself probably, I'll be very vulnerable to magic. Luckily I'm the slowest list, so perhaps a low priority target. This is my strategy for the game, I guess, to keep a low profile and advance steadily, while my brothers blood their forces and those of the Empire. I can then perhaps grab some tasty points and win.

What if Khorne doesn't go straight for the kill, to avoid being shot at so badly and wait for his younger siblings?
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#926 Post by SpellArcher »

Solid Empire list. Magic really good with double Banishment, some shooting. The Sphinxes should be helpful and (especially) the Casket.

Bloodthirster great if he gets into combat but that's a big 'if' here. Some good armoured threats, Flesh Hound 2++ vs magic great here, shame they can't Ambush!
RE.Lee wrote:Daemon Prince, Level 4 Tzeentch, Flight, Chaos Armour, Charmed Shield, Soulfeeder
Good but he misses Scaled Skin.
RE.Lee wrote:Hellcannon
Could be deadly combined with Treason.

I agree, the faster Chaos elements should get targeted early, leaving Nurgle to grind forward, his Lore is helpful defensively. Khorne has no ranged attacks so hanging back could be a risky policy.
RE.Lee

#927 Post by RE.Lee »

I always tend to overestimate Chaos troops - they're strong but really expensive and when you start hitting them with things like Banishment or Light of Death you really feel the pain. The defenders sure had a lot of tools to deal with the baddies. Lets see how we set up.

I was up on the right flank, pretty much against the core of the Empire army, though I could also try and go around the chapel to the south. Given the firepower of the enemy I opted not to. My Bestigor had a clear way to go, but I was really worried about their relatively few numbers. The Gors could support them though and I also had nice shock to help me out (if they survived the shooting). I was still hoping the shooters would concentrate on my allies.

Khorne took the center spot, as is his custom. He didn't have choice but to run straight at the enemy but his positioning was tricky with the Tomb King on Warsphinx ready to intercept. He could hold almost anything and that was a concern

Tzeentch was deployed in the left flank, opposite the Tomb Kings. An easier approach perhaps, but there were dangers still. The double Sphinx was something to fear, but it was the Casket that worried my friend the most - Chaos Warriors have a solid leadership value, but they're no Dwarfs and losing even a couple of 40p Knights can hurt.

The Hierophant got Neru, Blades, Smiting, Dessication
The Light Council got most of their Lore.
The Daemon Prince got Bolt of Change, Gateway, Treason and Pink Fire
My Sorcerer Lord got Putrefaction, Leper, Abundance and Plague Wind

Off we go! Thoughts at this point?
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#928 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:I always tend to overestimate Chaos troops - they're strong but really expensive and when you start hitting them with things like Banishment or Light of Death you really feel the pain.
Warriors have the killing power, Daemons the solidity.
RE.Lee wrote:I was up on the right flank, pretty much against the core of the Empire army, though I could also try and go around the chapel to the south. Given the firepower of the enemy I opted not to. My Bestigor had a clear way to go, but I was really worried about their relatively few numbers. The Gors could support them though and I also had nice shock to help me out (if they survived the shooting). I was still hoping the shooters would concentrate on my allies.
I'd have been inclined to send the Gors over that wall and into the Greatswords. I'm a little worried the Outriders will kill the Shaggoth. Yes the Bestigor look a bit vulnerable but indeed there are more pressing things to shoot.
RE.Lee wrote:Khorne took the center spot, as is his custom. He didn't have choice but to run straight at the enemy but his positioning was tricky with the Tomb King on Warsphinx ready to intercept. He could hold almost anything and that was a concern
I'd have fancied a tooled-up Thirster to deal with Sphinxes but this one has left his Gifts at home. Plus he's going to be targeted with extreme prejudice from turn one of course. At least Khorne has plenty of Attacks which is good vs Sphinxes.
RE.Lee wrote:The Daemon Prince
Like the Thirster, this guy needs taking out ASAP or he will get in and start grinding with Unbreakable.
RE.Lee wrote:Bolt of Change, Gateway
Target the Sphinxes with these.
RE.Lee

#929 Post by RE.Lee »

Going round with the Gors was a solid option though they made history down the center :wink:

Turn 1.

The defenders get the first turn but remain largely stationary. Only a few Tomb King units take a couple of steps forward, to get in range with their bows. In the magic phase we manage to stop the Casket but a big Banishment goes through, aimed at the Thirster. He has a solid 3+ ward thanks to MR, but those damn re-rolls mean 5 wounds slip through and the big guy goes down! A major, in expected loss. Shooting is decent - the Shaggoth and Gorebeast chariot are badly wounded, but carry on. Some Marauders die to arrows, some Plaguebearers to Outrider rounds as well.

The Chaos hordes advance as quick as they can. The magic phase, controlled by Tzeentch, is a disaster as the Daemon Prince fails to cast Gateway (aimed at the Sphinx I think) and the defenders easily dispel whatever Nurgle spell was attempted later. The Hellcannon misses.

Turn 2.

Double Sphinx charge (against the Flesh Hounds)! The rest of the Tomb Kings move up a bit, too, to support their general. The Steam Tank crashes into the Crushers. Magic is, once again, devastating. Not only does the Banishment hit the Daemon Prince, bringing him down, but we also manage to fail to dispel the Casket and reduces the Chaos Knights of Khorne (along with the BSB) to a delicate mist (rolling 6,5,5 goes a long way...). Luckily it didn't jump any further. Shooting hurts the Bestigors badly (apparently the Empire general read my last report) - only 8 remain. The Sphinxes quickly deal with the Flesh Hounds and the Necrosphinx pursues into a Chariot. Luckily the Steam Tank only causes 2 wounds on the Crushers and they hold.

Things aren't looking good, so its time for some charges! Tzeentch Knights clear some horsemen, Tzeentch Warriors join their Chariot against the Necrosphinx, Khorne Warriors assault the Warsphinx, Shaggoth goes for the Outriders, Horsemen (in the middle) charge the Halberdiers and Bestigors help out the Crushers against the Tank. Nice.
My Gors turn towards the middle, the Gorebeast Chariot next to them. Magic is once again a disaster, though we do manage to burn the Empire scroll. Hellcannon misses again.
Fighting goes well. The Shaggoth wipes out the Outriders and overruns out of reach of the Greatswords. The Tzeentch Warriors bring down the Necroknight, and the Khorne Warriors hold up the Tomb King. Crushers and Bestigors damage the Tank badly, but are now exposed to the Demigryphs.

What a disaster of a turn! We did get some units into combat, though. Could we still make a breakthrough? Or would an Empire counter-charge catch us wrong-footed and wipe us out?
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#930 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:In the magic phase we manage to stop the Casket but a big Banishment goes through, aimed at the Thirster. He has a solid 3+ ward thanks to MR, but those damn re-rolls mean 5 wounds slip through and the big guy goes down!
Scroll FTW.
RE.Lee wrote: The Chaos hordes advance as quick as they can. The magic phase, controlled by Tzeentch, is a disaster as the Daemon Prince fails to cast Gateway (aimed at the Sphinx I think) and the defenders easily dispel whatever Nurgle spell was attempted later. The Hellcannon misses.
Unfortunate but not much you can do about it.
RE.Lee wrote:The Shaggoth wipes out the Outriders
No Stand and Shoot?
RE.Lee wrote:Magic is once again a disaster, though we do manage to burn the Empire scroll.
The defenders have kind of gained an extra turn of magic defence. Killing the DP helps a lot here of course.
RE.Lee wrote:We did get some units into combat, though.
Had to go for it. You're a bit wrongfooted but Khorne grinds like a champ and it stops those units getting shot. When the combats finish you get Reforms and possible charges out.