RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies"

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

RE.Lee

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies" - End Times Reloaded!

#1291 Post by RE.Lee »

First Crusher is done, and the other 2 are getting some paint as well. Meanwhile, the vortex that might eventually consume all of the Warhammer World came in the mail at it started attracting various foul beasts straight away! :lol:

BTW - the Crusher in the picture is obviously WIP.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1292 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:the vortex that might eventually consume all of the Warhammer World
I’ve a feeling there are going to be some scenario conditions attached to this!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1293 Post by Prince of Spires »

Cats seem attracted to all things Warhammer ;)

Looking forward to the fun scenario's you can come up with using that vortex.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#1294 Post by RE.Lee »

"Wouldn't a bowl work just as well?" - my wife :lol:

For the End of All Things scenario it will most likely scatted D6", killing everything it touches (you need to be within 6" of it at the beginning of your turn to score). I'm thinking of a ranged attack it could do. Making it random seems like a good idea, maybe just one of the god-specific effects of the Eye of Chaos?
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1295 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:For the End of All Things scenario it will most likely scatted D6", killing everything it touches (you need to be within 6" of it at the beginning of your turn to score).
That’s all the mechanic you need RE, right there!

:twisted:
RE.Lee

#1296 Post by RE.Lee »

Perhaps!

Its a big threat towards any super-heavies hanging around the objective, but I also want something to sweep the chaff that could be conveniently sacrificed. So a simple 2D4 S4 hits against anyone within 6" on top of that.

For the armies I've decided to drop any army composition restrictions (End Times!) - after all, only the toughest dudes would survive to this point.

As most of the guys have confirmed their presence tomorrow, the game is on!

Time for the lists.

Chaos:

Archaon Everchosen - obviously the biggest baddie of them all is here. His big day has come, but would he be able to see it through?
Ghazrak de Couronne, BSB, Beast Banner, MoK, Many Limbed, Gnarled Hide, shield, ha - the notorious beastman was chosen by the Lord of the End Times to carry his banner
23 Bestigors, MoK, command - veterans of countless battles throughout the campaign, always in the thick of the fight
3 Skullcrushers, command - with no Demigryphs making it to the last battle, these guys actually stand a chance
Shaggoth - he was there when it all started, he wouldn't want to miss the end

Skaven:

Thanquol&Boneripper(s) - the alliance with Chaos worked well enough, but its the Skaven who are destined to inherit!
Hashan (assassin), Weeping Blade, PoS - plenty of targets for a skilled killer
Iskrlik, BSB - to keep the bunch together
38 Stormvermin with a warpfire thrower - they've learned a few new tricks: never deploy in a horde formation!
2x40 Slaves - because somebody needs to get the job done
10 Gutter Runners, poisoned slings - having almost single-handedly carried the Skaven through the last bit of the campaign they are looking forward to continue their run
Abomination - now or never!
Doomwheel - freshly promoted for slaying the Necromancer Lord

Elves:

Imrik - the rightful ruler of the elves!
Gwynwytchtl, BoH, ToP, level 4 High - because someone needs to heal the dragon lord
19 Phoenix Guards, command - already possibly the MVPs of the campaign, they came to witness what they've already seen in the Shrine of Asuryan
12 White Lions - the last of the pride
5 Wild Riders - they've rode so far, time to finish the job
Treeman - because someone needs to finally kill this SoB

Undead:

Mannfred - biding his time
Vamp Lord, level 2, Red Fury variety - the one and only
Wight Lord BSB - nick named Captain Planet for no apparent reason
24 Grave Guards - the old reliables
3 Vargheists - always looking to stir things up in the back
5 Hexwraiths - they had one hell of a ride last time
2x 5 Dire Wolves - could come in handy when scoring
Last edited by RE.Lee on Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1297 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Perhaps!
I once fought a less drastic version of this and it worked really well.
RE.Lee wrote:As most of the guys have confirmed their presence tomorrow, the game is on!
Like Donkey Kong!
RE.Lee wrote:Weeping Blade, PoS
Great combo.
RE.Lee wrote:Imrik
Uh-oh...

:mrgreen:
RE.Lee

#1298 Post by RE.Lee »

Yup, Imrik is one big bad-ass :D

I've updated the previous post with the Undead list.

Deployment:

Since the game was a 4-player all-vs-all it is extremely hard to follow what was going on, so instead of a typical battle report I'll just highlight the key events of the game I guess.

The opening turn saw everybody moving against my Skaven, with the forces of Chaos the first to get to me. The Bestigor and Shaggoth hit my Abomination hard, but I survived the impact only to lose both the Abomb and my Doomwheel to the Chaos Rift, which suddenly turned my way.

The Elves lost their wizard in the first turn, as he cascaded when casting Arcane Unforging on my Warpfire Thrower, of all things!

In the north the Undead and Elves tried to get involved in the action, but were wary of leaving the other unchecked. In the end this resulted in Mannfred and the Vampire Lord on foot both charging Imrik, who whacked the Undead general in a single turn despite his 10 wounds, and the other guy crumbled along numerous other warriors.

This freed up the Elves who began moving in my direction. Chaos in the meanwhile kept on grinding my forces. I killed the Shaggoth with my Assassin but Archaon joined the fray soon after. All seemed lost, but the Vortex again showed its unpredictability and promptly popped the Lord of the End Times!

Who would win?

Things turned my way as the Stormvermin wiped out the last of the Bestigor and Thanquol slew the Treeman (flaming braziers!). My joy was short lived however as Imrik finally arrived in my quarter. He clashed with Thanquol and had him on the ropes but, again, the Rift showed up and sucked both into the warp!

The Undead kept trying to get to the objective but ended up grinding down what remained of the Chaos army. They were all that was left on the field when the 6th turn ended.

Despite having no units left on the field, the Skaven (thats me!) won (3 VP - all for meddling with the Rift), with Chaos (2VP for Rift) and Elves (1VP for Rift, 1 for killing Mannfred) in second place and the Undead last (1VP for Rift).

A crazy, unpredictable game, but quite enjoyable nonetheless!
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1299 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:I survived the impact only to lose both the Abomb and my Doomwheel to the Chaos Rift,
Ouch!
RE.Lee wrote:The Elves lost their wizard in the first turn, as he cascaded when casting Arcane Unforging on my Warpfire Thrower, of all things!
We elves never learn, do we?
RE.Lee wrote:Mannfred and the Vampire Lord on foot both charging Imrik,
This was never going to end well.
RE.Lee wrote:Vortex again showed its unpredictability and promptly popped the Lord of the End Times!
Poetic Justice!
RE.Lee wrote:Skaven (thats me!) won
Hurrah!

=D>
RE.Lee

#1300 Post by RE.Lee »

That should teach Archaon not to mess with interdimensional gates! He closely avoided death earlier in the game (thats where the photo was actually taken). There was some disagreement about whether he should die or not, but we decided to let him live, since he didn't even get to fight at that point. When he was grinding down the Stormvermin and the Vortex came for him again it was settled. :wink:

The elf cascade was quite funny - luckily for my friend the Phoenix Guards were rocking a 3+ save, so at least most of them survived. In general they had a very good game, as they usually do. The White Lions not so much.

I kept telling my opponents to watch out for Imrik, him being super powerful and all, but they just wouldn't listed. Pity he didn't get to duel with Archaon - that would be an unstoppable force meets immovable object kind of situation.

Fighting Thanquol&Boneripper was quite easy for him. Despite the iconic duo having decent fighting abilites - 6A, S7, re-roll to wound, multiple wounds D3 - the brazier made my attacks flaming, and so I had to beat a 2+ ward save to deal any damage. Steep.

In the end both got sucked, though. This both stopped my friend from grabbing a point for killing my boss and scoring for proximity to the Rift. Had the vortex stopped earlier it would have been a tie.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1301 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:I had to beat a 2+ ward save to deal any damage. Steep.
I believe this is an advantage Imrik holds over mega-Malekith for example?

The game seemed quite exciting, happy with how the scenario worked RE?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1302 Post by Prince of Spires »

It read like a fun game. Probably not the most tactical of games. But good fun. And it ended up being very thematic. The elf mage visiting the warp is very much in line with The End Times. As is everyone somehow being eaten by the interdimensional gates. And of course Skaven winning while having probably made an orderly retreat from the battle to cower and hide while everyone else was fighting is very much in character.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#1303 Post by RE.Lee »

The scenario was indeed quite random, which was my intention - it wasn't the outcome that mattered the most and ganging up on one of the side might be too tempting an option in a more deterministic game. As it turned out my Skaven, the target of a vicious attack since turn 1, came out on top :lol:

The unpredictable vortex balanced out the uber-heroes, 3/4 got killed by it despite players not trying to score with their big guys. An average of 4 moves between turns made it really hard to keep them safe.

Mega-Malekith would be something! My cousin is slowly building up his Dark Elf army so we might find out sooner than later :wink:
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1304 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Mega-Malekith would be something! My cousin is slowly building up his Dark Elf army so we might find out sooner than later
Searing Doom is your friend here apparently.

:)

So after the apocalypse, what next?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1305 Post by Prince of Spires »

Age of Sigmar of course.

:shock:

:-?

Or perhaps just a normal game of WH again.

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1306 Post by RE.Lee »

Oh, my! Not Age of Sigmar! :lol:

As he was being banished Thanquol got to manipulate the Chaos Rift according to his wishes and the destruction of the Old World was the last thing he wanted. After all, it was to be the inheritance of the Children of the Horned Rat, not their burial site. So, instead of growing and consuming the mortal realms one by one, the vortex eventually collapsed. The insides of the Fauschlag shared the fate once met by Praag. The horrific melding of body and stone was limited however, and hurriedly sealed off by the churches of Sigmar and Ulric.

Elsewhere, there was a slow resurgence of the forces of Order. The southern states were hit the most, with the Skaven invasion leaving Tilea and Wissenland particularly desolate, perhaps more by the famine and disease that entailed the march of the rat hordes, than fighting itself. Eventually, the population returned from the woods and field to the towns and cities, hardened by the horrors they faced. The Skaven threat waned, as it always does, and soon people began to doubt their existance at all...

So, its business as usual in the Old World I guess :wink: I'll start thinking about another bigger narrative in the near future, but for now we'll be playing some random games I guess, testing and tinkering with the scenario generator that I posted some time back. I think it was a good idea and we'll be working with it :wink:

I'll be facing some Vampire Counts probably next week, or the week after that. I wanted a rematch with the High Elves, but my friend would prefer to fight something a bit weaker, so I'll probably go for a Light Council Tomb King list. I hope I've learned my lessons against the Wood Elves and can make the list work better than before!

A quick summary of the End Times campaign:

- 23 battles were played during the campaign. Heldenhame was technically the beginning of the narrative, but I prefer to start counting with last years Halloween intro battle.
- Skaven and Wood Elves topped the chart, with 5 wins, 1 draw and 2 defeats each.
- the Empire came in third, followed by Dwarfs, VC, High Elves, Beastmen and Chaos
- Tomb Kings were dead last (pun!), having only registered 1 win (against Dwarfs), 1 draw and 5 defeats (one more that Chaos).
- the build-up to summoning Nagash was extremely unsuccessful as the Undead Legions lost Heldenhame, Valaya's Tomb and Mordkin Lair (which was the last VC vs Skaven battle, played out of order). I still allowed 9 Daemons to happen only for the Undead to lose that one as well.
- the Vampire Counts seemed to fare better later on (Arkhan was side-tracked) with wins against Beastmen, High Elves and Tomb Kings/Brets but the Empire crusade into the heart of Sylvania proved deadly.
- on most fronts the Empire held well against the invading Chaos hordes:
- the landing in Marienburg was moderately successful but the army was then halted at Carroburg and finally lost the attempt to break through using the woodland
- the north was protected easily with the Auric Bastion, the single attempt to force it (at Alderfen/Heffengen) shamefully weak
- only real threat came from the Skaven, who scored back to back wins to first break through the mountain passes and then pacify Nuln

A very fun experience and I hope to run another such campaign in the future. That Tamurkhan plot line looks mighty tempting... :D
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1307 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:So, its business as usual in the Old World I guess
=D>
RE.Lee wrote:I'll be facing some Vampire Counts probably next week, or the week after that. I wanted a rematch with the High Elves, but my friend would prefer to fight something a bit weaker, so I'll probably go for a Light Council Tomb King list. I hope I've learned my lessons against the Wood Elves and can make the list work better than before!
The extra D6 hits for each MM vs Undead could be quite tasty.
RE.Lee wrote:Tamurkhan
Bring it on!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1308 Post by Prince of Spires »

One major positive of your campaign over GW's is that you at least never had to resort to Deus ex Machina like plot contraptions to keep the story moving forward. And I don't think I read a battle report from you which featured the phrase "and none could stand before them". So well done to you. =D> ;) :)

A light council vs VC could be pretty nasty. And it suits TK quite well I think. The only spell that doesn't do anything for them is light of battle. But 2D6 S4 hits on a 5+ is pretty strong and should let you deal with a lot of the annoying stuff. And S6 banishment backed up by 3 Shems is a pretty terrifying prospect. It's also something that could burn through a scroll pretty fast.

What's the Tamurkhan plot line? I know about the book, I just never read it or know much of what's in it besides something something dwarves... ;)

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1309 Post by RE.Lee »

Prince of Spires wrote:I don't think I read a battle report from you which featured the phrase "and none could stand before them". So well done to you. =D> ;)
:lol:

Thank God for the Skaven late success - otherwise I'd really need to think of something to allow the forces of evil a route for invasion an some sort of finale. Luckily, the ratmen were there to save the day, as always :wink:

Tamurkhan is a pretty generic chaos invasion story, with the bad guys swinging in from the south, instead of the usual Kislev route. They also do some cool fighting among themselves and various other bad guys (goblin, ogres, chaos dwarfs) - which makes it more than just an Empire vs Chaos thing. I could easily replace the goblins with Skaven. Not sure what to do with Chaos Dwarfs though, I'm unlikely to get any. We'll see.

The Tomb Kings stand a chance I hope, though they are still a weaker army. I need to have a Hierophant and I wanted to have a bit more fighting power than last time, so currently I have only a level 4 and level 1 light, with the Hierotitan providing another Shems. This means Banishment is weaker than usual, but it remains THE spell to dispel - no way my opponent would let 3S6 S5 hits through. Hopefully I'll be able to prevent my wizard from getting into combat with something like the Vargheists.

I think I'll pretty much be sticking to the list I drafted after the defeat against the Wood Elves in September:

Tomb King, Sword of Antiheroes, Armour of Destiny, shield
Level 4 Nehekhara, Power Scroll, Talisman of Endurance
Level 4 Light, Power Stone
Level 1 Light, Dispel Scroll

22 Archers, command
21 Archers, command
5 Horse Archers
5 Horse Archers
3 Chariots

29 Tomb Guards, command, BoEFlame
3 Necroknights

Casket
Hierotitan

Things to consider:
- adding a Necrotect.
- changing the BoEFlame for Undying Legion

Lets face it - the Tomb Guards are in for a hell of a fight, they can use all the help they can get. I'll try and keep the Tomb King to the edge of the unit, hopefully avoiding the Vampire Lord - T5 does not help me against his S7 and the 4++ can only get me so far... Not being able to heal sucks.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1310 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Luckily, the ratmen were there to save the day, as always
Warms the heart, doesn’t it?

RE.Lee wrote:Not sure what to do with Chaos Dwarfs though, I'm unlikely to get any. We'll see.
Replace with normal Dwarfs?
RE.Lee wrote:Lets face it - the Tomb Guards are in for a hell of a fight
List looks OK to me. Killing Blow could be important here.
RE.Lee

#1311 Post by RE.Lee »

Replacing with normal Dwarfs would do the trick I guess. Them turning to the dark side would be a nice plot twist. Chaos supported by war machines might finally be a force for the other armies to fear! Mein Gott! I could even turn it into a campaign about the origins of the Chaos Dwarfs. =P~

Killing Blow on the Vampire Lord would be something great, getting those Cursed Blades for a 5+ KB would be a giggle. Should I drop the Tomb King for the unit in exchange for Ramhotep? I'd be hiding the King anyway and a re-roll to hit is better than hitting on a 3+ I guess. The Grave Guard are WS3, so it doesn't really change things defensively. I could then direct some 13 attacks against the Vampire, hitting on 5+ though... Maybe just downgrade to Tomb Prince and tank him up?
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1312 Post by SpellArcher »

I think almost any fighter is in trouble against the Vamp Lord and Grave Guard KB. Light buffs look promising to me, ASF or WS 10 for example. Maybe the TK Arcane Item that boosts the chances of IF?
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1313 Post by Prince of Spires »

RE.Lee wrote: Replacing with normal Dwarfs would do the trick I guess. Them turning to the dark side would be a nice plot twist. Chaos supported by war machines might finally be a force for the other armies to fear! Mein Gott! I could even turn it into a campaign about the origins of the Chaos Dwarfs. =P~
That sounds like a fun story line. You could allow the dwarves to either start taking chaos dwarf units or allow them to bring some chaos allies as the campaign progresses.

As a side note, do make sure you don't buy your war machines from your Skaven. Though they look shiny and fun, it usually doens't end well... ;)

Would tanking up a Tomb Prince really add to his survivibility vs a Vamp Lord compared to the Tomb King? The extra WS and wound is worth something at least (though not against KB).

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1314 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote:Maybe the TK Arcane Item that boosts the chances of IF?
I'm still in denial about how that thing sucks. :lol:

The Tomb Prince with a 4++ has some chance to survive, but crucially leaves some points for Ramhotep. I'd be able to stick the characters on either side of the unit, making sure at least one would live (?). Best case scenario both remain intact and I can deal some 30 attacks with WS5 and re-roll to hits, even is the Vampire Lord wipes out my back rank. As is likely. So, worst case scenario I lose 10 guys, deal an average of 17,76 kills on the Grave Guards and crumble the unit. This could unfortunately mean I get to fight the Vamp on his own...

Hm... Really need that KB! :lol:

As for the scenario - each player choses 3 units in his army that will be worth 1VP each (dead or fled) to the opponent. So pretty much a pitched battle with simplified winning conditions that prevent death-stars. Not sure if this would hurt MSU?
An additional feature will be a sand storm (just can't get enough of the vortex template!). No dealing casualties this time, but the storm will scatter each turn and count as impassable terrain, pushing away any unit it encounters. Thoughs?

The Dwarf storyline is definitely something worth pursuing. They could be the Undead faction of the next campaign. I'd love them to start using greenskins, but we currently have none. #-o
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1315 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:I'm still in denial about how that thing sucks.
I tried and failed to think it through fully. Why is it so bad?
RE.Lee wrote:Thoughs?
I like this.
RE.Lee

#1316 Post by RE.Lee »

Well, the Scrolls of Mighty Incantations - you pay a full hero's magic allowance to get a single chance to blow up your Hierophant (or another level 4) to cast as a spell with IF (not sure what the odds are of an IF with 10 dice - its 26% with 6, so I'm estimating around 50%).

If it sounds bad its because it is.

Had Tomb Kings access to the Dreaded 13th or another such spell it might be worth it. Or if it just added 4 power dice for a single casting - which would just make it a "double" power stone, so not exactly over the top.

The battle is due Tuesday.

I'm back to painting - finished the Bestigors finally and the Crushers are done, too (pics below). I'm now moving on the some Marauder Horsemen and doing test models for my Warriors. I like a Tzeentch(ish) colour scheme to most right now, so I'll go for it probably. Will be a nice change from the sickly green on most of the Beastmen. The Crushers are not very Khornate, come to think of it:

cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#1317 Post by Prince of Spires »

Sounds like two issues with the scroll of mighty incantations then. It's just regular IF, instead of "you can have IF without a miscast". And not really an over the top powerful spell that would make it worth the risk.

I really like the mounts of the crushers. The cream white is lovely. The guys on top look a bit dull or not complete by comparison. Maybe the blacks aren't black enough to provide enough contrast. Or you're lacking a warmer spot colour like red on the models. Not sure, but they somehow don't really pop and scream "we're the most elite cavalry Khorne has"...

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#1318 Post by RE.Lee »

Yup, painting decent black/gray still eludes me. Hard to highlight it without making it look no-so-black-anymore. This is bad because I'd like to do justice my Gutter Runners some time in the future. There's some colour on the riders - red plumes, greenish cloth and the blue verdigris on the armour but the gray is more overwhelming than I'd like.

The TK vs VC battle has been postponed till next week but I'm playing Dwarfs on Saturday which is also nice. I'll take some Warriors of Chaos I think. Still thinking about the list - a reappearance of the Tzeentch Chaos Lord is likely :wink:

Test model for the Warriors:

cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#1319 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:Sounds like two issues with the scroll of mighty incantations then. It's just regular IF, instead of "you can have IF without a miscast". And not really an over the top powerful spell that would make it worth the risk.
I wouldn’t take it on the Hierophant, for obvious reasons. I could definitely see it on the Light dude for an unstoppable S6/7 Banishment. However, your meta is infantry-heavy RE so maybe not a juicy enough target to justify it.
Prince of Spires wrote:I really like the mounts of the crushers. The cream white is lovely. The guys on top look a bit dull or not complete by comparison. Maybe the blacks aren't black enough to provide enough contrast. Or you're lacking a warmer spot colour like red on the models. Not sure, but they somehow don't really pop and scream "we're the most elite cavalry Khorne has"...
Juggers and bases are awesome. Possibly try the rider shoulder pads the Jugger colour? The grey just needs breaking up a bit I think.
RE.Lee wrote:I'm playing Dwarfs on Saturday
Get stuck in!
RE.Lee wrote:Test model for the Warriors:
Like.

RE.Lee

#1320 Post by RE.Lee »

SpellArcher wrote:Possibly try the rider shoulder pads the Jugger colour? The grey just needs breaking up a bit I think.
Or just red? I'll leave them like this for now - so much more painting to do! Glad you like the Warrior - I tested a red cloak with grey fur and a greenish cloak with red/brown fur. Keeping them for now, in case I do another unit :roll:

Question:

One of the scenario's I made up for my generator is Rearguard. The attacking army re-spawn each unit it loses (per reinforcements from their own edge). It needs to kill off a certain percentage of the defenders to win. What should that percentage be? What should it be for a draw? Since you do not know what scenario you will be playing there is no way to adjust your list.

Remember, this guy is judging your answers:

:lol:
cheers, Lee