RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies"

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies" - End Times Reloaded!

#781 Post by Prince of Spires »

I like Arkhan. I love how you've used the IOB mage, a model which many HE players have, but it looks very unique in this conversion. Simple but very effective. I think his cloak can perhaps use another red highlight, though that could also be the picture.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#782 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks! Arkhan could indeed use some extra layering, as well as more details (on his "scarf" in particular) but I'm keeping him simple for now - so much stuff to paint!

We'll be going with Valaya's Tomb for the next battle. A 3-way affair, with Dwarfs, Skaven and Tomb Kings all taking field to fight for the goddess's resting place. Its going to use the basic rules from Triumph and Treachery (no cards, mercenaries and such). The side with majority of units within 12" of the objective (which will be impassable itself, most likely) will be the winner. If they manage to have more then both the opponents combined it'll be a major victory.

I'm thinking whether the Tomb should grant any augments/hexes to the models in the vicinity. It would be tempting for the peaceful goddess to provide either MR, ward saves or just force re-rolls of successful hits/wounds. This would benefit weak models though, perhaps making stuff like Slaves overpowered? Having her only boon the Dwarfs and/or hurt the baddies would be thematic, but not really fair. Unless I add some Denizens of the Deep rules, that would affect the Dawi in turn... Would love to hear your thoughts on this.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#783 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Having her only boon the Dwarfs and/or hurt the baddies would be thematic, but not really fair.
Maybe reduce starting points for the Dwarfs to counterbalance this? Some means of helping them vs magic would seem appropriate.
RE.Lee

#784 Post by RE.Lee »

Right now I'm leaning towards giving a single re-roll of armour save or ward save to each unit within 6". It adds some flavour, while not being overly powerful. I wouldn't know how many points to take away from the Dwarfs for any exclusive bonuses. No cave rules at this point.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#785 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote: The side with majority of units within 12" of the objective (which will be impassable itself, most likely) will be the winner.
What will count as a unit here RE? More than one model? Has a banner?
RE.Lee

#786 Post by RE.Lee »

Good point, I haven't considered it yet!

I'd like monsters to be viable, so excluding single models or stuff without banners is probably out. At the same time I'd like to avoid "5 Skaven Engineers jumping out of a Slave unit on the last turn" shenanigans. So a unit will probably anything apart from characters.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#787 Post by SpellArcher »

Your lists don't tend to spam tiny, cheap units RE so that sounds decent.
SpellArcher wrote:End Times, Thanquol?
Full steam ahead on this!

:)
RE.Lee

#788 Post by RE.Lee »

Speaking of which :wink: the Skaven draft list:

Thanquol&Boneripper
BSB, shield
30 Clanrats, shields, command, warpfire thrower
28 Clanrats, shields, spears, command, poisoned wind mortar
2x30 Slaves
6 Gutter Runners, poisoned slings
2 Rat Ogres + 1 Packmaster
3 Jezzails, champion
Hellpit Abomination

Not who will get to command this army, but the general idea was to use the Hellpit to scare away everybody away, while using the big units to secure the objective (they can soak up some damage I think) :wink:
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#789 Post by Prince of Spires »

sounds like a decent plan. 1 unit of 30 rats isn't that hard to get rid of. 4 however is a different story. Although, assuming only the big rat units will manage to stick around to score points, I'm wondering if 4 units is enough to secure the scenario. Depends a lot on the other lists of course, but there are plenty of lists who will manage to get 4 units in scoring position as well.

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#790 Post by SpellArcher »

How much more potent is End Times Thanquol than a vanilla Seer RE?

Ditto Boneripper.
RE.Lee

#791 Post by RE.Lee »

I've included the basic T&B in the list. The ET one is just a powerhouse and would be totally overkill at this point level.

Thanquol is still quite an improvement over a standard Seer. Just the extra warpstone tokens and the ability to re-roll 1s with them is useful. His survivability is nice, too, with not only a 4+ ward save, but regaining wounds on a 5+ each turn.

Boneripper is not much - with only T5 and W3 he dies a lot. But he can serve as a useful speedbump (thanks to being Unbreakable) and his Warpfire thrower ability can be useful as well.

This comes at a price of 210 points, though. Points that might be easily lost in case of a miscast...
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#792 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Thanquol is still quite an improvement over a standard Seer. Just the extra warpstone tokens and the ability to re-roll 1s with them is useful. His survivability is nice, too, with not only a 4+ ward save, but regaining wounds on a 5+ each turn.
I like him a lot. His main issue seems to be lack of Bell!
RE.Lee wrote:Boneripper is not much - with only T5 and W3 he dies a lot. But he can serve as a useful speedbump (thanks to being Unbreakable) and his Warpfire thrower ability can be useful as well.
Handy to have.
RE.Lee wrote: This comes at a price of 210 points, though. Points that might be easily lost in case of a miscast...
I saw him in action at a tournament once. First game he did damage but the Skaven still lost (this vs Seredain). Second game he Cascaded. Third game blew the opposition away. Lots of fun!

RE.Lee

#793 Post by RE.Lee »

The Dwarfs dropped their list:

Thane, shield, rune of stone, oathstone, ring of Thori, rune of fire, rune of speed, rune of iron
Runesmith, shield, spellbreaking, balance,
BSB, Grungni, pistol, GW,

Warriors, shields, command, 22,
Quarrelers, shields, st, mu, 12

Slayers 16, mu
Ironbreakers, command, 19,

Gyrocopter,
Cannon, forging, burning

The burning cannonballs spell trouble for the Abomination, while the infantry is extremely hard to move. The Gyrocopter could jump into proximity of the objective on the last turn. Interesting army, a bit different than the standard choices as there's no point in hanging back!
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#794 Post by Prince of Spires »

Interesting list. The flaming cannon is probably chosen because of the Abomination. With only 5 units in there capable of even scoring points, winning will be very difficult for them. The need to remove 3 Skaven units minimum to even get a draw. An interesting challenge for them to be sure. Main thing probably is can they shoot off the Abom and Tanquol in the first 3 turns or not. If they can, then they might have a fighting chance. If not then they'll be in trouble.

Of course, there's still the Tk to consider.
SpellArcher wrote:
RE.Lee wrote: This comes at a price of 210 points, though. Points that might be easily lost in case of a miscast...
I saw him in action at a tournament once. First game he did damage but the Skaven still lost (this vs Seredain). Second game he Cascaded. Third game blew the opposition away. Lots of fun!
Pretty much what you'd expect from a skaven then :)

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#795 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires wrote:and Tanquol
A thing. Can this guy (and his chum) join units?
RE.Lee

#796 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanquol can, but Boneripper cannot (which adds to his low survivability).
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#797 Post by SpellArcher »

That doesn't sound too bad. The enemy only get the points if both are killed (I presume?) so Boneripper can float around as a local redirector and speculatively flame something. Meanwhile Thanquol sits nicely in his unit. Miscasts do look like an issue (no Earthing Rod) but he could roll out a very nice spam phase just adding a chunk of Warpstone to a cheaper spell here and there.
RE.Lee

#798 Post by RE.Lee »

True. He really adds that extra quality to the magic phase, something the Skaven often lacking (6-dicing the Dreaded 13th aside).

Meanwhile, Khalida moves towards the Arch of Valaya, unknowingly acting as a pawn to Arkhan.

Khalida
Liche High Priest, Level 4, Earthing Rod
34 Archers, command
3 Chariots, champion
Warsphinx, Fiery Roar
Necrosphinx
Casket of Souls

This is going to be the army I take to the field. A new concept, trying to saturate the high toughness targets, while having an option to bring down cannons with the poisoned arrows. Will see how this works.

The Dwarfs changed their list:

Runelord, balance, spellbraking, shield, Thori, perservation, stone, fire
Thane, shield, oathstone, perservation, iron, might, speed,
BSB, Grungni, pistol, GW,

Longbeards, command, stubborn, 26
Slayers, 17, mu,
Ironbreakers, command, 19,
Gyrocopter

Slayers are bad news for my Sphinxes, but no cannons makes me happy. My archers should have a good time taking down the unit if it goes my way. The Slayers are likely to aim for the Abomination, though - should be an interesting fight!
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#799 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:6-dicing the Dreaded 13th aside
Which depends on how crucial Infantry are to the enemy I guess. Dwarfs especially but also Tomb Kings should fear it.

Khalida looks very dangerous here because of the general lack of armour. Sure, Ironbreakers and such but they're slow and there are Monsters around to tackle them.
RE.Lee

#800 Post by RE.Lee »

Battle done!

A quick peak, as always - at least this time the Warsphinx managed to get into combat :wink:

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#801 Post by SpellArcher »

Loving the colours on that Sphinx!

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#802 Post by Prince of Spires »

It looks epic. Looking forward to the battle report :)

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#803 Post by RE.Lee »

Deployment:

Thanquol got: Warplightning, Death Frenzy, Cracks Call, Scorch and 13th
My Liche Priest got Desert Wind, Cursed Blades, Smiting and Dessication

I decided to put the Sphinxes against the Dwarfs - hopeful I'd be able to eliminate the Slayers, who I consider the only real threat for them there. The Chariots should be able to do something against the Skaven, they have plenty of attacks. My biggest asset are the archers, especially if I can get Smiting going. Unfortunately the Abomination is headed my way, something I need to deal with quickly. Those poisoned slings need to be taken care of, too - Sphinxes do not like poison!

Thoughts?
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#804 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Unfortunately the Abomination is headed my way, something I need to deal with quickly.
Is that the Forgeworld giant rat skeleton model? Khalida should see him off, with all that Poison.

For the Skaven, Thanquol looks very dangerous. With the Dwarfs it looks like a case of marching on and hoping to outlast the enemy within 12" of the Tomb. Interesting that trying to make your opponents fight and hang back yourself looks less of a viable option here because of the victory conditions.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#805 Post by Prince of Spires »

For the dwarves dreaded 13th could be a real issue. Two successful casts and that army stops looking like an army.

From the look of it, the skaven are the biggest threat on the table at the moment. They have enough options to hurt both other armies and have most units capable of scoring a point. Which is actually a downside in this game I think. It's easier to convince the Dwarves to also focus on the skaven initially and only later on fight the TK then the other way round. So as TK player that would be my plan I think. Sort of ignore the dwarves and deal with halve the skaven first. They're closer, faster and more likely to cause you pain. Also, if you play right, the dwarves will run into the skaven first.

Rod

Check out my plog

RE.Lee

#806 Post by RE.Lee »

Its actually the Giant Rat Beast from the Caller set from Necromunda.

I did start with confronting the Skaven. All those units meant they could win even without their heavy hitters - they needed some serious trimming!

Turn 1:
Skaven move up, in tempo with the Abomination. Their shooting and magic is mostly out of range.

The Dwarfs advance a bit as well, the Gyrocopter facing the big Ratmen units in the south.

I spread out. The Necrosphinx covers the Dwarf flank while the other units move towards the Skaven. I manage to cast Smiting and Light of Death from the Casket (Thanquol had some bad rolls, while I got 3 extra power dice from the Casket). This allowed me to destroy 5 out of 6 Gutter Runners (Sphinxes breath a sigh of relief) as well as the Abomination (68 poisoned arrows go a long way). Quite a turn!

Turn 2:

The Dwarfs move up again, this time keeping the Gyrocopter behind infantry lines.

The Necrosphinx manages to jump over the Dwarf units in a spectacular but ultimately reckless move. Magic does little this time, but shooting is again effective, killing almost half of the Slayers.

Skaven Slaves charge the flank of my Archers, but Khalida steps up and chases them away. Unfortunately the Liche Priest is unable to stop the Dreaded 13th spell, which destroys several of my warriors.

Turn 3:

Its Skaven again and again they manage to cast the Dreaded 13th, this time killing some 20 archers! One more and both Khalida and the Liche Priest will be turned into Clanrats!

The Longbeards and Slayers turn around to face my Necrosphinx, while the Ironbreakers continue their march towards the objective.

I manage the charge the Rat Swarms with my chariots, kill them in one round and overrun into Boneripper and a Poisoned Wind Mortar - yay! The Necrosphinx moves to block the Ironbreakers and the Warsphinx faces Thanquol and his bodyguard. I manage to bring back some archers in the magic phase.

This is where things stand at halftime. The Skaven are in big trouble and I managed to secure the entire northern part of the battlefield. My command bunker is badly exposed however. Meanwhile, the Dwarfs are pretty much untouched and are marching towards the objective in numbers. Who will secure Valaya's tomb?
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#807 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Its actually the Giant Rat Beast from the Caller set from Necromunda.
Somewhere, I have the comics.
RE.Lee wrote: I manage to cast Smiting and Light of Death from the Casket (Thanquol had some bad rolls, while I got 3 extra power dice from the Casket). This allowed me to destroy 5 out of 6 Gutter Runners (Sphinxes breath a sigh of relief) as well as the Abomination (68 poisoned arrows go a long way). Quite a turn!
Maybe the Skaven should have brought a WE with a Scroll? Big win to take out the Abom early.
RE.Lee wrote:The Necrosphinx manages to jump over the Dwarf units in a spectacular but ultimately reckless move.
It would have given me the willies!
RE.Lee wrote:again they manage to cast the Dreaded 13th
I reckon a player should be able to get this off once per game, pretty much. Maybe IF or a really big casting roll, bearing in mind that failing to make the 25 is quite possible. A Scroll is vital here though.
RE.Lee wrote:I manage the charge the Rat Swarms with my chariots, kill them in one round and overrun into Boneripper and a Poisoned Wind Mortar - yay!
With the prospect of being flanked and Thundercrushed, Thanquol should be spraying the musk of fear by this point!
RE.Lee wrote:Meanwhile, the Dwarfs are pretty much untouched and are marching towards the objective in numbers.
A problem. You're causing damage RE but can you secure the objective?
RE.Lee

#808 Post by RE.Lee »

Bit unlucky with the magic there, true. Getting hit by the 13th hurts, luckily its been 6p archers so far who suffered. I figured a scroll wouldn't be necessary at 1600 points, forgetting effective magic can be at low level points.

Turn 4:
Skaven move towards the objective but choosing me as an opponent also means the combat in the flank of Thanquol triggers - the chariots again do their thing, killing both Boneripper and the Mortar and overrunning into the Clanrat bunker.

I take advantage of course, charging my Warsphinx into the fray. Somehow the beast gets itself killed by Clanrat attacks (!) but the chariots deal enough casualties to break and run down the Skaven along with their general. The Necrosphinx moves to cover my own bunker, while I grow back some archers - at least they don't have to worry about 13th anymore!

Dwarfs keep on advancing, their Gyrocopter threatening my high command.

Turn 5:

I'm 13 inches away from the Gyrocopter with my Necrosphinx so I only need to roll a 3 with Swiftstride to make the charge. This should bring the Dwarfs down to 3 scoring units, level with what I can do. Obviously, I roll three "1s", fail the charge and only manage to move my archers up a bit...

The Dwarfs camp on the hill, with the Gyrocopter now secure. Fiery Ring of Thori fires and sends another Slave unit fleeing.

The Skaven just want to go home at this point.

Turn 6:
Dwarfs start a grill by the Tomb, while I try to move my units into nearby positions. Shooting doesn't do much and its a 4:2:2 win for the Dwarfs!

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#809 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Bit unlucky with the magic there, true. Getting hit by the 13th hurts, luckily its been 6p archers so far who suffered. I figured a scroll wouldn't be necessary at 1600 points, forgetting effective magic can be at low level points.
Having a nice big unit helps a lot it's true. Fair point about the Scroll. The great thing is not having to roll any dice with it but there must come a point where it's less effective I guess.

You seemed to do a number on the Skaven but the Dwarfs won because they hardly had to do any fighting!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#810 Post by Prince of Spires »

SpellArcher wrote:
RE.Lee wrote:Bit unlucky with the magic there, true. Getting hit by the 13th hurts, luckily its been 6p archers so far who suffered. I figured a scroll wouldn't be necessary at 1600 points, forgetting effective magic can be at low level points.
Having a nice big unit helps a lot it's true. Fair point about the Scroll. The great thing is not having to roll any dice with it but there must come a point where it's less effective I guess.

You seemed to do a number on the Skaven but the Dwarfs won because they hardly had to do any fighting!
The lower the number of points the more effective magic becomes I think. As long as you can manage to bring a lvl4 (which is easy enough for skaven) you can have a devastating magic phase. The number of magic dice doesn't change, but the number of models available to be hit is much lower, as is the chance of a decent magical defence.

It's unsurprising that the army who did the least fighting won. Perhaps because they are generally slow, the dwarves were considered less of a threat at the beginning. Which means skaven and TK focussed on each other. This one was decided in T6 (and given the scenario would always have been decided in the last turn). Which means that there was no reason to get there before T5, which is how the dwarves did it. They were of course lucky both with their deployment place (had they been in the skaven position, they would have suffered a lot more) and that both the skaven and the TK really went at each other instead of staring at one another for 3 turns. But they exploited that opportunity nicely.

Rod

Check out my plog