RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies"

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

RE.Lee

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies" - on campaign with Em

#571 Post by RE.Lee »

With the Altars 5 wounds 4+ ward (we now take saves after the multiple wounds roll) and healing potion it would be happy to take some cannonballs ;)

I've revised my list somewhat, here's how it looks like one the eve of the battle:
Lector on War Altar
Wizard Lord (Life)
Mounted BSB
Mounted Priest
2x Captasus (eat that Gyrocopters!)
2x Engineer (one with Pidgeon Bombs!)
2x12 Hangunners
13 IC Knights
14 Swordsmen
3 Demis
6 Outriders
5 Pistoliers
Mortar, Cannon, Hellblaster, Tank

No infantry anvil this time - I don't want the Dwarf regiments to have a focal point on which to advance. The 3 core infantry units are all disposable and will act as interchangeable bunkers for my dudes. Meanwhile the Cavalry, working in tandem with the air force and the Tank will counter-attack and hopefully break through.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#572 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:With the Altars 5 wounds 4+ ward (we now take saves after the multiple wounds roll) and healing potion it would be happy to take some cannonballs
Ah I can see that would make a difference! I still remember WE dragon healing from 6th edition!

Yes, army's a bit more MSUish isn't it? I guess the knights will hopefully have enough ranks to break Steadfast if it comes to it.
RE.Lee

#573 Post by RE.Lee »

Hmm, it is kind of MSU - I didn't think about it like that. Wasn't planned at all. Must by that Swordmaster guy ;)

Both the Hammerers and Longbeards are stubborn (the latter thanks to a runic banner) - I'm going to have to wipe them out ;)
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#574 Post by SpellArcher »

My 9th Age HE list is tending back towards MSU. The spirit lives on!
RE.Lee wrote:the latter thanks to a runic banner
Didn't you destroy this somehow?
RE.Lee

#575 Post by RE.Lee »

Nope, I just killed the 37 Longbeards to a man (dwarf?) and run down remaining the runesmith and bear-riding lord! :twisted:
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

#576 Post by RE.Lee »

Battle is over. Tough fight, the Dwarfs fielded an army much like last time, though with an additional Catapult (at the expense of a couple of Miners and Longbeards).

I deployed my core infantry in the middle, intending to lure in the aggresive Dwarf infantry. On the flanks were my fast movers. On the left were the Demigryphs, Outriders and Pistoliers. On the right were deployed the IC Knights and a Captasus.

Would it work? Stay tuned!

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#577 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote: with an additional Catapult
Arms race?

:)
RE.Lee wrote:I deployed my core infantry in the middle, intending to lure in the aggresive Dwarf infantry. On the flanks were my fast movers. On the left were the Demigryphs, Outriders and Pistoliers. On the right were deployed the IC Knights and a Captasus.
Looks solid.
RE.Lee

#578 Post by RE.Lee »

You could call it an arms race, yes. Nothing unexpected, hence my new flyers ready to counter it!

The battle itself was a bit confusing, with the field seperated by buildings into 3 largely independent theaters. We commited a lot of mistakes, forgetting moves, shots and bits of the magic phase at points. Must be the political situation in Poland ;)

On my right the cavalry and pegasus rider advanced round a tower occupied by a small unit of Irondrakes. As expected I suffered several casualties - the captain among them. My movement was also hindered by a Gyrocopter. Due to all these circumstances the envelopment manouever was countered by the Longbeards (who had to change their march towards my main force). The two units clashed on turn 5 and were still fighting at the end of the game.

In the center it was relatively quiet. The main thrust of the Dwarfs was diverted (as described above) but a number of heroes charged out of their unit towards the Steam Tank, my main force in the region. The machine was already badly dented by cannon fire and so was swiftly destroyed. The bear-riding Dwarf Lord and his Standard Bearer then wiped out my Swordsmen. At the same time the Miners were doing their dirty work - despite my attempts to counter, they've managed to destroy my Mortar and Hangunners with the Wizard Lord. They finally met their match when the Arch Lector charged in and run them down.

On the left things were pretty interesting. The only Dwarf combat unit there were the Hammerers, but what a unit it is! Unfortunately for me a lot of the Dwarf shooters were stationed there and the Demigryphs were wiped out before they could influence the game (though the Captain almost made it!). The Pistoliers dealt a couple of casualtied to the Hammerers before running towards the enemy war machines. They destroyed a catapult and killed a couple of cannon crewmen before being slain by the stubborn Dwarfs. The Outriders remained the only force capable of stopping the Hammerers and they've almost made it. Unfortunately, the last 6 Dwarfs were still powerful enough to kill my riders when they were finally charged... Justice was only served when they got a Hellblaster round to the back :twisted:

A bad defeat for the Empire, their first real one against the Dwarfs. I can't really blame the men, it was the indolence of high command that cost them :wink:
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#579 Post by SpellArcher »

Ouch!

What do you think you should have done instead RE?
RE.Lee

#580 Post by RE.Lee »

Moving my right flank on the crucial, second turn, would be one thing! :lol:

Seriously though, my tactics were a mess. Switching from a plan based around a solid infantry horde (either Halberdiers or Greatswords) left me clueless. The wings were not strong enough to break through - the only real hammer unit (the IC Knights) were only assisted by a single Captasus (dead on turn 2). After that they were easily blocked. On the other side the Pistoliers made something of a breach, but were clearly not strong enough to capitalise. Perhaps moving the Altar in their wake would have been a good idea, but I was afraid of moving the General away from the center. In the end he was able to finish the Miners, but thats not much of a feat.

I think I'll center my strategy around the IC hammer next time. With more assistance (concentrated fire, chaff, diverters) they should be able to turn their wing and win.

Hopefully we'll be able to play the last battle of the campaign before Christmas.

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#581 Post by SpellArcher »

Well at least your opponent must have enjoyed his rare victory RE!

I feel MSU-ish armies usually require a lot of finesse to set up those block-breaking charges, whether with magic, shooting, combo-charges or all three. Rather than the Captasus, who is exposed to fire more, is it worth considering a Grand Master to chew through those Stubborn Dwarfs?
RE.Lee

#582 Post by RE.Lee »

I'm seriously considering going for a stronger cavalry hammer and smashing it against the Dwarfs line ;)

Meanwhile I've finished my Pistoliers:

Outriders are next!
Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#583 Post by SpellArcher »

Very nice!

So the Outriders will be like the converted guy earlier?
RE.Lee

#584 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks - I need to take a better picture though, the heavy light makes it difficult to see the details ;)

The Outriders will be conversions based on Brets, like the one posted earlier - 6 in total. They've worked quite well so far - my opponent hasn't shot at them much thankfully (they're so soft!).
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#585 Post by SpellArcher »

Hmm...they can Vanguard and shoot though can't they?
RE.Lee

#586 Post by RE.Lee »

Due to modelling reasons I give them barding - they get a solid 4+ save, but lose light cav status. No vanguard then, but since we allow fire arms to move and fire its not that bad ;) They get BS4, so despite mutliple shots hit with decent accuracy. The champion has BS5 - quite a marksman! 18 such shots really hurt - if it weren't for the pesky Runic Banner (Grungni? It gives a 5+ ward against shooting) those Hammerers would be done for.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#587 Post by SpellArcher »

Last time I fought them (with Wood Elves) I deployed everything back and in cover. Shooting them off was priority number one. Especially as there were two units!
RE.Lee

#588 Post by RE.Lee »

It is a decent unit, they're halfway painted now - I should have them ready by the weekend.

"The forces of the Empire retreating towards Leesburg would find that they were not in fact being pursued. They blamed the situation on the Dwarfs caution and reluctance to move away from their hold and its treasure. In reality the Dwarfs were more than eager to finish them off but their march route was blocked by a very unlikely ally.

With the recent destruction of Nehekhara a great many of Tomb Kings had to find a new home. Nominally loyal to Nagash, they followed their own interests and were determined to restore some of their former glory. Of these few were more powerful than Queen Khalida. Working with Ashurbanipal she established a domain on the ruins of Argalis and Vardanos and was steadily making her way north..."

What a suprise - the Tomb Kings return! I've finished rereading ET:Nagash and really wanted to put some undead on the table, so here you go:

Tomb Kings 2500 points (we decided to reduce the core tax to 20% because I didn't have enough models and my opponent didn't want to play at fewer points):

Khalida
Liche High Priest, Earthing Rof
Tomb Prince BSB, 4+ ward (BSB option allowed by comp)

28 Archers
3 Chariots
2x5 horse archers

29 Tob Guard, BotUL
Necrosphinx, Warsphinx, Casket, Hierotitan

I got spells 0 (move), 2 (ward), 3 (smiting), 4 (vengeance) - the perfect combination!

Dwarfs:

2x Runesmith (they were allowed to cast the Anvils bound spells)
BSB with Grungni's Runic Banner

12 Quarellers
30 Longbeards

20 Slayers (comped to have a 6+ ward)
28 Hammerers
2 Gyrocopters
2 Cannons, Catapult, Organ Gun - all runed up to the teeth

Deployment:

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

#589 Post by RE.Lee »

Turn 1:
I move my forces forward carfully. I have a lot of fire power but I'm not sure if I can actually outshoot the Dwarfs. Only the Sphinxes advance more rapidly, looking to get stuck in a combat before the Cannons take their toll. Shooting kills a number of Slayers, but their 5+ ward means the causalties aren't that bad. A unit of horse archers kills 2 Irondrakes with 5 shots - MotM right here! Magic does little, though I manage to put a ward save on the Warsphix.

The Dwarfs respond by a rapid march down the middle. A cannonball slays my Necrosphix, but other than that the dwarf shooting is either ineffective or is healed back in the following turns.

Turn 2:
My Sphinx approaches the Dwarf shooters deployed on a hill. I continue shooting the Slayers (I initially was planning on using the poisoned attacks against the war machines, but the Slayer threat was to much). Magic is big and I manage to get some additional movement and healing as well as -2M on the hammerers!.

The enemy keeps on advancing but are broken apart - the Slayers turn to face the Sphinx, while the Hammerers are hampered by a spell. Shooting continues - the chariots are down to 1, and the archers suffer some casualties - they'll be back soon enough!

Turn 3:
The Sphinx charges the Crossbowmen but their defensive position and shieldwall means it fails to break through. Shooting, thanks to Smiting, kills something like 10-12 Slayers, making the unit much less of a threat. I heal back some of my archers, too.

Dwarfs march forwards again, and are now literally in my face. Slayers charge the Sphinx, but are killed and the beast breaks through the remaining Crossbowmen and into the Catapult (I had to use my breath weapon though). Shooting decimates the Tomb Guard - I think around 17 were killed by combined fire of the Organ Gun, Irondrakes and Gyrocopters.

Turn 4:
The sphinx wipes out the Catapult crew, turns back to face the Longbeards threatening my archers. The Titan moves in to protect the Archers - it survives but is down to 2 wounds... Chariot kills a Gyrocopter and crashes into the second one. Magic heals back a good number of the Tomb Guard (10ish), they should be ready to fight now having moved backwards. Shooting kills the Organ Gun.

Longbeards finish off the Titan, but instead of attacking the Archers reform backwards and brace themselves against the expected Warsphinx charge. Hammereres fail their charge. My chariot is destroyed by the remaining Gyrocopter.

Turn 5:
The Sphinx stays put. The Tomb Guards move backwards again, hoping to bring back some of their number later on. Magic fails me (I am now without my Titan, who fell in combat and the Casket, destroyed by a Cannon). Shooting kills the last Dwarf war machine - a cannon.

The Hammerers finally get to charge the Tomb Guards - I strike first (!) and wound 10 Dwarfs but they make 5 of their saves (on a 6, thanks to a bound spell cast by a Runesmith)! The Dwarfs get 22 attacks back, with hatred, and my guys die in droves. Another 7 crumbles and I'm down to half a rank. The Longbeards continue their ambiguous manoevering around my Archers, they now reform sideways and move back to have both the Sphinx and Archers in their front arc.

Turn 6:

The Tomb Guards all die and the Tomb Prince crumbles (I forgot my curse again!). My archers shoot some Irondrakes, before getting charged by the Longbeards and a Gyrocopter. They lose and crumble a bit, but its not that bad when you're dead and the game ends with them intact.

Its a minor Dwarf victory!

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

#590 Post by RE.Lee »

Thought after the game:

Not a bad loss, but a loss still. Due to the experimental list I suffered from somewhat inconsistent tactics. This showed most in the movement of the Tomb Guard - they've moved forward initially, only to start moving backwards for the remainder of the game.

My shooting was impressive - those poisoned attacks really rock. I will increase the size of the unit to around 50, this should fill up my core to legal size. This creates something of a dilemma - extra shots don't help against warmachines, so should I use it against infantry and assault the machines with my Tomb Guard? This might place them out of the range of my spells, limiting the healing I could attempt. Banner of the Undying Legion should help, but would it be enough? I'm considering adding 10 more TGs to the unit...

The Tomb Kings will return, though probably after Christmas ;)

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies" - TK counterattack!

#591 Post by SpellArcher »

Thanks for that RE, nice clear report!

When I looked at your list, I thought you had four main strengths. The Khalida Archers, the Tomb Guard, Double Sphinx and your magic. The former are powerful but I agree that overall you're unlikely to outshoot Dwarfs, maybe if you had a couple of Catapults? What really stood out was that you were able to get spells past double Runesmith, in particular for the healing.

Your opponent's failure to plough on with the Longbeards looked a little odd. Tomb Guard are a decent unit but are always going to struggle against Hammerers with Hatred. You got a fair bit of joy with the Warsphinx, maybe this and the Necro could be used against the Hammerers? I'm struggling to see what else you've got that can deal with them.
RE.Lee

#592 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks for the comment!

Magic did work pretty well - the Casket and Hierotitan really help here - I also had 2 12vs6 magic phases. There were 2 runesmiths, so 2 runes of spellbreaking to hurt me when it mattered, but no Rune of Valaya, so overall it wasn't that bad.

I did want to move the Sphinxes against the Hammerers, but the Slayers got in the way...

A catapult has already been included in my next list, along with the extra archers this should make the Dwarfs come to me! :twisted:
cheers, Lee

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#593 Post by Prince of Spires »

Thanks for the report. Pity on the loss. Great looking army. The whites are very striking and work great witht he bronze.

It does read a bit like both you and your opponent were unsure about what tactic to follow and changed direction a few times during the battle.

What do you consider to be the better strategies for Tomb Kings? One of my regular opponents is (amongst other things) a TK player and he regularly gets his undead ass kicked. So, he definitely could use some advice as to what is and is not good to take.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
RE.Lee

#594 Post by RE.Lee »

It was very much a reconaissance by combat - Khalida really is a game changer - next time we'll have more of an idea what to do ;)

My core ideas regarding TK:

1) Make sure your magic phase is strong - Level 4 (I like Nehekhara), Hierotitan, Casket really help with casting.
2) Have decent long range ability and try to make the enemy come to you. This can be tricky against Dwarfs - hence the problems I'm encountering. Smashing Wood Elves at shooting was super fun though ;)
3) Have a strong unit to counterattack - I really like a horde of Tomb Guard. With a TK/TP they have a high WS, a lot of attacks, with S5 (AP if you go for the Razor Banner, as I often do. Undying Legion is a second option).
4) Despite inherent slowness there are way to get where you want fast - Entombed Necroknights, flying Necrosphinx, Chariots are all decent at threatening the enemy backline, one you've lured them in.

Still its not a very powerful army, and requires a lot of thought to get to work the way you want it to. I'm not always capable of that ;)

Hope this helps!
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#595 Post by SpellArcher »

The Special Characters can really make a difference to Tomb Kings can't they? Agree completely on the magic, I've never seen a decent TK list without a strong magic phase. Light Coven is another way to play it. Building around the decent combat units that there are (TG/Sphinxes/Necro Knights) makes sense.
RE.Lee

#596 Post by RE.Lee »

Yay, I no longer keep getting logged out!

Some more TK reports incoming! The campaign against the Dwarfs continues and Khalida takes the field again. The highlight of the game was a beautiful dirigible fro Titan Forge that my friend got to act as a Gyrobomber. The piece itself performed horribly - misfiring 3 times with his bombing run before rolling three 1s to wound with its minigun. Truly abominable luck, but the model is a wonder ;)

As I've already mentioned, I took Khalida again. She was deployed in a unit of 48 archers, along with a Hierophant level 4. Ashurbanipal took his 29 TG to the field alongside. I also had a Titan, a Necrosphinx, a Casket, and some chaff (chariots and horse archers)

The Dwarfs had 3 solid infantry blocks (Longbears, Hammerers, Slayers), 4 artillery pieces (2 cannons, 2 catapults) and 3 flyers (2 Copters, 1 Bomber).

Deployment:

Turn 1:
Dwarfs get the first turn and move up quickly. Their shooting is not very effective - the cannons fail to get the Casket but the Catapults manage to kill some archers.

I backpedal and bring back some of my dudes. I burn a scroll I think. My poisoned attack slay a couple of Hammerers, by they are hindered by the Rune of Grungi.

Turn 2:
Dwarfs move up again. Cannons finally destroy the Casket, while Catapults continue to bombard my Khalida bunker.

I countercharge the Hammerers with the Tomb Guards (I needed an 8, but managed to roll it). Its a massacre, but the Dwarfs stay put.

Turn 3:
Slayers join in with the Hammerers. This might take a while. The Longbeards try to maneouver around the flank, but chariots and horsemen get in the way. Flyers continue to fry my archers, not much I can do...

I finish off the Hammerers, and the Slayers are reduced to a handful (I have Neru on, and manage to heal some guys back). Deathblow is, well, a blow, but the ward save helps. Titan and Spinhx continue to hide behind the buliding.

Turn 4:
Slayers have finally met their doom. Two indirect catapult shot manage to kill my Titan (!). The archers are barely hanging in there.

I charge against the Langbeards with everything I've got. Combat is the safest place to be now, so the Tomb Guards, Khalida and Necrosphinx all go in. I win despite the Dwarf shieldwall, but they're stubborn so hold.

Turns 5 and 6:
The grind continues. The Dwarfs are left with artillery and fragile flyers so can't really counter me. I have the advantage in the war of attrition but can I wipe out the Dwarfs?

Yup. Horde dies, I win by some 400 points!

Onwards to Khazid Urbaz!

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#597 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Yay, I no longer keep getting logged out!
Welcome back RE.

:)
RE.Lee wrote:beautiful dirigible fro Titan Forge
Reminds me of the old Epic Squat models from the 90's.
RE.Lee wrote:Ashurbanipal
Assyrian? Babylonian?
RE.Lee wrote:Deployment
Nice, clean battlefield.
RE.Lee wrote:Dwarfs get the first turn and move up
Love it!
RE.Lee wrote: Its a massacre
How was this? Hammerers are really hard.

What characters did the Dwarfs bring?
RE.Lee wrote:Two indirect catapult shot manage to kill my Titan (!).
Just bad luck, not much you can do about it.
RE.Lee wrote:I win by some 400 points!
Well played! If he is more defensive do you simply win the shooting war?
RE.Lee

#598 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks for the comments!

I had like a gazzilion buffs on the TGs ;) I was stiriking first (initiative 3 - yay!), between Smiting and my horde formation I had some 40 attacks at WS6 (so hitting on a 3+), S5 was decent enough (not sure if I had AP, but it was irrelevant given the Hammerers' 5+ save. Not really a contest, especially since I was able to bring my dudes back.

Had the Dwarfs stayed back, I would have used my poisoned arrows to take down their war machines one by one. I'd hide the Sphinxes, while raising back my infantry (or not even that - given their number I'd be happy to soak up the damage). Not really fun times but I'd be able to get a win I think. ;)

Ashurbanipal is Assyrian indeed - I liked the name and it puts him apart from most Tomb Kings out there.

More reports will follow, the Khazid Urbaz campaign continues!

:D
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#599 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:Thanks for the comments!
You're welcome!
RE.Lee wrote:Smiting
RE.Lee wrote:I was able to bring my dudes back.
So your ability to get magic through was important here RE.
RE.Lee wrote:Had the Dwarfs stayed back, I would have used my poisoned arrows to take down their war machines one by one. I'd hide the Sphinxes, while raising back my infantry (or not even that - given their number I'd be happy to soak up the damage). Not really fun times but I'd be able to get a win I think.
Would you say Dwarfs are a good match-up for your list?
RE.Lee wrote: More reports will follow, the Khazid Urbaz campaign continues!
Good!
RE.Lee

#600 Post by RE.Lee »

I think the Dwarfs are a very good matchup. Despite the increased speed they remain a shooting army and at range I have a slight advantage. Its not as good Wood Elves but still decent. Its a pity one of the best units in my army - Necropolis Knights - is rather poor against them. A single round of Organ Gun fire or combat against that tough infantry of theirs reduces my monsterous cavalry to shreds.

Meanwhile, I've bought another wood and the Garden of Morr yesterday, and I'm planning another scenario in the campaign with some interesting victoy conditions.

Stay tuned!

Last edited by RE.Lee on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee