RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies"

This forum is for the posting of reports of your famous victories and crushing defeats. It is for both single battle reports and for ongoing army diaries/blogs.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

RE.Lee

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies" - New Table!

#511 Post by RE.Lee »

Loriel wrote: Even single noble with shadow armor would be one curious choice against gunline dwarfs. take halberd for rerolls and you are set for funny action ;) [...] One rogue choice I would pick for it would be spearmen with moranian wayward shard. Early turns -> big monsters / flying menaces destroyes gun batteries. Spearmen comes in mid game to break steadfast / generate combat resolution for the protecting dwarf blocks.
I've considered the Wayshard and damn its a tempting choice. Maybe I'll give it a try after all - the archers could go, as well as some of the silverhelms. I'll see if I can get the points.
A shadow armour hero, or even Alith Anar would be fun as well, but it will have to wait. Perhaps this will turn into another small campaign, with special ops playing a part in the next encounter ;)

Thanks for the comments, that was some real food for thought!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
RE.Lee

#512 Post by RE.Lee »

Having spent several previous weeks on considered pondering, on careful weighing of option, on deliberations and consultations and ruminations, Aes-alion Iluhir had at last reached a decision. He would go all in and he would go now. The Dwarfs of Khazid Urbaz would feel his implacable, unhindered wrath even if, as some of his advisors had meekly suggested, the Nikaian legions were not yet fully assebled. Fools. He had riders aplenty and soon the sky would be darkened by their monsterous host.

I've played the first game of what is likely to become another short campaign. Its war in the Border Princes again, as the Nikaian Empire takes on the Dwarf domain of Khazid Urbaz. The control of the old dwarf road to Tilea is at stake, as are large quantities of Bugmans XXXXXX (and, without doubt, some local craft beers).

As mentioned before, I decided to take a monster mash army. This represented the forces Aes-alion Iluhir could gather to quickly throw at the Dwarfs. Unfortunately the opposition were nothing if not prepared. My friend took a gunline with a couple of crazy suprises - all with the intention of bringing down my beasts as efficiently as he could. No magic was used be either side, as my general left all advisors home and the Dwarfs ... well are Dwarfs.

My army:
Prince on Star Dragon, Ogre Blade, Talisman of Preservation, OTS
2x Noble on Griffon (Swiftsense, Swooping Strike)
BSB on barded steed, Star Lance, Dragon Helm
25 Spearmen, full command, Banner of Swift
5 reavers, bow&spear
9 silver helms, full command
6 shadow warriors
2 eagles
Frostheart

The Dwarfs:
Runelord, Rune of Flight, 2x Rune of Might (so a throwing weapon with S8, hitting on 2+, mulitple wounds D3)
BSB, Runic Banner of 4++/5++(Grungni?)
Thane, Rune of Might, Ring of Breath Weapon
30 warriors
10 quarellers
18 hammerers
10 irondrakes, 2x rune of slowness
2x cannon, organ gun, catapult - all runed up to the teeth
2x gyrocopter

Deployment:

Stay tuned for the full report!
Last edited by RE.Lee on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#513 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Looks like a classic War of the Beard! I love the models too! Looking forward to reading the full report :)

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Loriel

#514 Post by Loriel »

If nothing else this should be mo-mo-mo-monster kill ;)

I have unnatural fear of Irondrakes. They seem really really powerfull choice against us elves.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
RE.Lee

#515 Post by RE.Lee »

Ok with the site being down, I forgot most of the details regarding the battle - so here's the outline of what happened:

Early on - the High Elves advance quickly but find themselves under very heavy fire from the Dwarfs. The dragon goes down first - the mighty beast was identified as the only thing the Stunties couldn't handle in close combat, sealing his fate. The Frostie hides behind the building, while Griffons go for the Dwarf right flank - can they find an oppening?

Mid game. Where are all the monsters? The Griffons eat lead - one almost made it, but a stand and shoot proved to much for the birdie. The Spearmen die to flame - only the Silverhelms seem to be intact. It doesn't look good though...

Finally, what is left of my army hits the Dwarf (gun)line. The Spearmen manage to take out the Organ Gun. The Frostie grinds down the Hammerers - a decent performance from the beast, but it has been very badly wounded and is unlikely to survive. The BSB charges wildly into a Dwarf Thane - slaying him swiftly.

What was I expecting? The Frosty dies, the Spearmen die, and, finally, the BSB too succumbs to the Dawi onslaught. High Elves lose!

Comments are welcome! I'll write a little summary later - the second battle of the campaign has already taken place, so that'll be next. Thanks for reading!
Last edited by RE.Lee on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies" - Khazid Urbaz Campai

#516 Post by RE.Lee »

Well this didn't go well - I was really hoping on making a break through with the monsters. I was certain the Dragon would be down soon, but the Griffons almost made (stand and shoot took down the last wound, damn your "Quick to Fire" Irondrakes!). Depite having a lot of fast moving elements my approach was too fragmented allowing for my opponent to take down wave after wave of Elves - the cavalry were a prime example: just when they were ready to charge, they got an Organ Gun salvo to the face and the BSB had to go in on his own.

Oh well, depite the loss I found the game very fun. As opposed to many plyers, I like charging against a gunline - it has a certain cinematic feel and still allows for some interesting tactics on my part. The defending player's role is simpler, but he had fun as well (especially with the quirky stuff like the flying hammer).

The game showed, again, how imbalanced the ridden monster rules are in 8th ed against cannons and the like. This dynamic is one of the few things I like in Age of Sigmar. I think it'd be interesting to replay this game with the new rules some day - but, as always with AoS, how would one balance the forces? Depite this being an uphill struggle I always felt I had a chance. In AoS more often than not you get suprise steamrollers these days. I've been checking out some balancing packs on the Web - none are convincing, but I have to give it a couple more tries I guess.

I'll have the lists for the second battle up soon. Aes-alion tried a different approach this time and was appropriately countered - get ready for some silly covert ops tactics from both sides (there's Batman too!) ;)
Last edited by RE.Lee on Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

#517 Post by RE.Lee »

Is everybody playing AoS these days? ;) EEFL - on with the campaign!

This was not good. The first wave of Aes-alion's assault faltered and now the Dwarfs were dug in even more deeply than usual. Another frontal attack would probably result in a massacre. More casualties were the last thing he needed - the pressure on the home front was beginning to get unbearable. No, the situation required a more subtle approach - luckily, among the refugees from sinking Ulthuan, came an individual very fit for the job...

So, phase two - 2,4k points a side. Before the game we agreed to take as many scouting/ambushing units as we could (apparently setting up scenarios is possible in 8th as well GW!) - the battle would represent a contest between the covert ops of the competing forces.

HE:
Alith Anar
Annointed of Asuryan, Ogre Blade, Enchanted Shield, Moranions Wayshard
Loremaster, BoH, ToP
Mounted BSB, Star Lance, Dragon Helm, Golden Crown
Noble, Shadow Armour, Lions Cloak
29 Spearmen, War Banner
9 Silver Helms
5 Reavers
24 Phoenix Guards, Razor Banner
7 Shadow Warriors
2 Great Eagles

Dwarfs:
2 Runesmiths, with solid magic protection
BSB Thane, Rune of 4++/5++
Engineer
29 Warriors
12 Thunderers
18 Hammerers
10 Miners
5 Scouts
2 Gyrocopters
Catapult, Organ Gun, Cannon - all runed up to the teeth.

Deployment:

As you see a real battle of wits was in place. Will the Elves succeed in infiltrating Khazid Urbaz?
Last edited by RE.Lee on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

Loriel

#518 Post by Loriel »

oh boy, really exotic helf, shadow warriors, ambushing annointed spearman block! Shadow Armor noble! and not total gunline dwarf list. I like it =)

Did you mean dragon armour instead helm? or was this heavy armor , dragon helm for extra armor save, no ward. Sorry my calculating brain isn't apparently working now =)

I actually considered having bigish unit of shadow warriors, with alith anar + shadow armor/ogre/giant blade annointed. that would surely make interesting unit to play

I hope alith anar will give those gyrocopters hard time with high str shots =)

RE.Lee

#519 Post by RE.Lee »

I did want to try some new things - the ambushing spearmen could be a good way to put pressure on the gunline, too! The BSB has the Dragon Helm - he's armed with the Star Lance and drops it in subsequent rounds of combat for a thw - the helmet makes his armour save still decent in that situation.

On with the game!

Turn 1:

Elves move up. Alith Anar and his team enter the building (a big mistake as it turns out). I try to cast Spirit Leech, Iceshard and Miasma but fail (damn dwarf anti-magic! I did burn a scroll though). Shooting did little (Moonbow failed to wound a gyrocopter if I recall correctly).

The Dwarfs respond. The hammerers run up the field, they can't wait to take the fight to the enemy. The gunline's firepower is devastating - 15 Phoenix Guards die, even with their mighty ward saves.

Turn 2:

Spearmen appear. About time. The Silver Helms try a flanking maneuver, things get tight over at my right flank - can I turn it? Phoenix Guards backpedal - they'd happily go back all the way to Nikaia. Eagles and Reavers move to block stuff. I IF Miasma (of all things!) and drop my Loremaster to level 0. Thats it for magic in this game, but at least his head didn't blow up. Shooting, again, fails to deliver a meaningful blow. Moonbow seems to be firing blanks.

Miners appear, they cover the Dwarf right flank. Hammerers put some more pressure on the Phoenix Guards. Gyrocopters fry some elves - around 15 spearmen die (at least they got the 6+ wards from the Annointed) as well as a couple of Shadow Warriors. Warmachines butcher some Silver Helms. That Miasma didn't really stop all this lead from coming at me.

Turn 3:

Ok, time to evade. The flankers on the right side go round the Warriors, while the Phoenix Guards squeeze past the Hammerers. Its called tactics. Now can I get to the soft underbelly of the Dwarf army before the infantry closes in? The spearmen kill the Organ Gun and the Thunderers (a great eagle allowed for two combats in a row!).

The Dwarfs reform. Cannon shoots Alith Anar in the face - forgot that cannon causes D6 hits to stuff in a building - I really should've walked him out of there. Some more Silver Helms and Spearmen die, but they're just fodder now.

Turns 4,5,6:

My army looks crippled but the characters are mostly still intact! I charge out of units at the warmachines - tasty, tasty points! BSB takes out a Catapult; Annointed slaughters himself some Cannon crew; only the silly Shadow Armour noble (nicknamed the Witcher) fluffs his attacks repeatedly (3 rounds of combat he dealt no wounds, finally got a hammer to the back from the Runesmith). The Loremaster takes down a gyrocopter in true Jedi fashion. Dwarfs advance, but my force evades well.

Once the points are counted it turns out to be a draw (a couple houndred points in my favour so I like to think of it as a minor HE victory ;)!

Last edited by RE.Lee on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

#520 Post by RE.Lee »

Post game thoughts:

A fun game - my units melted as they approached the gunline, but the key bits squeezed through. The characters made it to the war machines and that was the plan all along. Its a pity I couldn't retain enough force to take on one of the Dwarf blocks - I hoped the Spearmen would provide numbers for me to face some Dawi in fair combat. As it went, I had to keep evading the enemy all the time.

There was little I could do to stop the Dwarfs from wrecking havoc (15 PGs in one turn? Come on!) - I made a big mistake with Alith Anar though. I should've been more aggressive with his positioning - staying in the tower led to nothing but dying underneath its rubble.

Anyway, today we played the last game of the campaign. 3k a side, so a bit bigger. I'll be posting the report soon. Meanwhile, any comments on my tactical ineptitude are very welcome ;) EEFL!
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

#521 Post by RE.Lee »

Alith Anar emerged from the rubble, bruised and cover in dust. So this is how they wage war in the Old World. The attack might not have been a total success but his command did push the Dwarf defenders off the road to Tilea and towards their fortified town. With their backs against the mountains the Dwarfs would now be taken by suprise again. The time for deceit was over. What was needed now was some pure unrestricted violence...

The third (and final) part of the campaign of Khazid Urbaz. 3k per side this time. Scenario was a simple Pitched Battle again (don't know why I didn't make up something more original throughout) but we tried out some house rules. I suggested to use combined profiles for ridden monsters - you simply pick the best T, W, armour save and ward save. To balance things out we agreed that infantry can always move-and-fire. We also decided that wounds would be multiplied before saves - too much was often dependant on a single dice roll

My army:
Eltharion on Griffon (using Death magic)
Prince on Griffon (both upgrades), Star Lance, Armour of Destiny, Golden Crown (that I forgot to use!), Lion Cloak, shield
High Archmage, BoH, ToP
Noble, Reaver Bow, PoS
Beasts Mage, lvl 2, Power Scroll
21 archers, command
25 spearmen, War Banner
25 spearmen
20 Swordmasters, BotWD
3 RBT
2 Eagles

Dwarfs:
2x Runesmith with stuff (2x spellbreaking, Valaya)
BSB (Grungni)
Engineer
12 Quarellers
14 Thunderers
23 Warriors
18 Hammerers
10 Irondrakes, double (triple?) rune of slowness
15 Miners
2 Gyrocopters
2 Catapults
2 Cannons
Organ Gun

Deployment was as follows:

I got Spirit Leech and Purple Sun (the possibilities!) on Eltharion, Wildform and Amber Spear on the small mage and Hand of Glory, Apotheosis, Arcane Unforging and Walk Between Worlds on the main guy.

The Dwarfs got to go first...
Last edited by RE.Lee on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

Loriel

#522 Post by Loriel »

Niche mobility ;)

Did you place High Archmage in to the swordmasters (in picture it seems so ? I hope your high magic will prove usefull. you have really good spells for the shield of saphery. Double spell breaking will make it little harder in turns where you really need the extra ward. However eltharion can surely be enough to threat your opponent to converse each dispelling. This list could even feature single dicing with BoH spells.

I only fear that you over saturated magic with the third beast mage.

RE.Lee

#523 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks for the comment!

Yup, the High Mage was with the Swordmasters. Fluff reasons mostly, but I also wanted to find out if he could survive in combat for a while. With a 4+ ward that was likely to be a 3+ ward most of the time, and against a gunline, you could say my hopes were high. Also, the unit had a 2+ ward against all the runed-up war machines and a base ward save of 6+ (likely to by much improved most of the time) against ballistic shooting. So I was really counting on getting at least a rank of them into combat.

Getting Eltharion down that line and casting Purple Sun (even with an IF) was something I was counting on ;) The third mage was indeed a bit of an overkill.

Here's what happened:

Turn 1:

The Dwarfs hold fast mostly, though some of the infantry shuffles about. Shooting isn't as bad, though both Griffons suffer 3 wounds from cannons and BS shooters. The catapults are ineffective however, as one missed the Swordmasters and the other finds out they have BotWD :D.

The Elves advance swiftly - Griffons down the flanks. Magic is a big 12vs6, and I manage to cast Walk Between Worlds to push the Swordmasters up the field, and also Apotheosis on my Griffon Rider (healing one wound). So +2 ward. Spirit Leech is dispelled however, as is Hand of Glory. No combat yet.

Turn 2:

Dwarfs again are more or less stationary. The miners emerge and move to attack the RBTs, while the Gyrocopters get in the way of my units. Shooting kills and eagle and several Swordmasters, but the Griffons make it alive (though both were down to one wound).

Griffons take down cannons and decide to overrun off the field (biggest mistake of the game, by far!). The Swordmaster run down a Gyrocopter, but fail to make it to the Irondrakes (again, a turning point...). Spearmen move to intercept the Miners. Magic does little - Apotheosis (of all spells) is cast with IF, heals 1 wound on the Griffon Rider and thats it. 1-2 Swordmaster die. BSB manages to bring down a Grudge Thrower with his PoS/Reaver Bow - opponent is suprised ;)

Turn 3:

Dwarf shooting guns down most of the Swordmasters and most of the Spearmen sent to stop the Miners. The Miners kill (barely) an RBT and overrun. The Dwarf infantry in the middle advances.

My Griffons come back but can't charge, so wait for the Dwarf shooting to finish them off. Meanwhile they get into flanking positions. Spearmen charge Miners, but there's like 8 of them (damn catapults!). The other Spearmen move to block Warriors. Magic phase is big again, but I only manage Wildform on Spearmen and Hand of Glory maybe (a flanking Purple Sun was stopped unfortunately, my opponent played the dispels well).

Turn 4:

Organ Gun kills Eltharion, Irondrakes kill the other Griffon, Catapult and Fiery Ring decimate one Spearmen unit, while the other is butchered by the Miners.

I concede. Major Dwarf Victory!
Last edited by RE.Lee on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

#524 Post by RE.Lee »

Post-game thoughts:

All in all, a brutal beating. Nothing really went my way, but I also didn't play well enough to have a chance of victory. The key moments in the game, in my opinion, were:
1) Not making the pursuit move into the Irondrakes. It was 7" I think, so the chances weren't bad. Nothing I could do about it, but I already saw those Swordmaster going through the Dwarfs and securing the flank.
2) Overruning off the field with the Griffons. I was hoping to keep them safe and come back once more war machines have been silenced. What I did accomplish, though, was to give the Dwarfs an additional round of shooting, which they used to decimate the Swordmaster. Once the Griffons were back, they were easy pickings for the remaining gunmen (those damn Irondrakes included!)
3) Not making the Purple Sun. A dirty tactic perhaps, but throwing the no6 Death spell down the flank against a Dwarf gunline is something many people dream about. Eltharion, with his great mobility, is a great man for the job but he just couldn't get it off.

Again, the Dwarf (Duardin?) shooting turned out to be too much for my softish list. I was happy with how the combined profiles workef through - they improve the monsters a bit and simplify the game (in a good way). Will continue with this house rule I think.

TL;DR:

The High Elves (Aelfs?) are hitting the shelf for a while I think. Tomb Kings will take the field during the weekend and the Empire will be hopefully battle ready soon ;)
Last edited by RE.Lee on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

#525 Post by RE.Lee »

Played Tomb Kings versus Vampire Counts yesterday, having great fun with pixlr :D

cheers, Lee

Ambrosius

#526 Post by Ambrosius »

Cheers for the reports. I wince in sympathy when I see that dwarf gunline hit the table. All three of my regular opponents play dwarves, and their shooting is no joke.
Pictures of my army:
[url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48337&start=0[/url]
RE.Lee

#527 Post by RE.Lee »

Thanks for the comment! It was a hard campaign and I had to switch to a different army to spice things up a bit. The High Elves still see battle though, as my friend fielded them against my Empire force a couple of weeks ago:

High Elves:
Cav Prince, +3S, DawnStone
Archmage Beasts, BoH, ToP
Cav BSB, Star Lance
Griffon Noble, 4++
10 Silver Helms
5 Reavers
21 Archers
21 White Lions
2 RBT
Frosty

Empire:
Archlector on War Altar
Wizard Lord (Light)
Mage (Light)
BSB on foot
Witch hunter
Engineer
Captasus
40 Halberdiers
10 archer detachment
10 handgunner detachment
10 IC Knights
3 Demis
Helblaster
Cannon
Steam Tank

Deployment was as follows:

cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

Re: RE.Lee's "Record of Lost Colonies" - Detour into Chaos!

#528 Post by RE.Lee »

Oops, forgot to post the rest of the report. I don't remember much of the details now, but I do recall that I manged to get a small win ;)

Last week we played a big 2 vs 2 game. I took the Empire again, with the Tomb Kings deployed by my side commanded by my VC friend (who didn't manage to bring his own army as he had to see a patient on the way to my place). We faced a combined Elf force - mostly my High Elves but also a small contingent of Asrai. Both armies were commanded by the guy who played Dwarfs in the Khazid Urbaz campaign. He was joined by the friend who played High Elves in the previous battle. He had to leave halfway through, because his newborn was causing trouble ;)

The game was using 8th edition rules, with combined profiles for monsters.

In the end it was a very bloody battle - the Tomb Kings were the target of the main thrust of the Elf army but fought valiantly and allowed for the Empire to strike back at the heart of the enemy. The Elves managed to redeploy to face the threat however and repulse the assault. The result was a draw, with the Empire/TK having a small advantage.

Here's how it looked from the perspective of the RBT crew on one of the hills:

I've also started working on a new army project - Warriors of Chaos. I've always wanted to collect them and I intend them to be my last army in Warhammer (besides High Elves, Skaven, Empire and Tomb Kings). I'm quite happy with how the test model turned out:

With all the new projects around, and the general traffic on the forums dying down, I've decided to include all the stuff happening with my forces in this blog. Don't be surprised to see more non-elf stuff here from now on :)

Stay tuned!
Last edited by RE.Lee on Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

Loriel

#529 Post by Loriel »

looks really nice. And I think you have managed to create good snow effect. Imo many snow effects doesn't have the right feel. Yours with the frosty foliage is really niche.

RE.Lee

#530 Post by RE.Lee »

The snow isn't bad, though I still need to practice applying it. I'm using a PVA glue, white paint and GW snow mix with GW snow on top. The stuff is kind of funny to work with since it sticks to anything, not just glue. I like how the blood turned out - I did test splashes with just the GW Blood but it looked to bright - I then started doing black spots first and Blood over it. It now has a very gore-like appearance and looks much more realistic.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#531 Post by SpellArcher »

RE.Lee wrote:I've also started working on a new army project - Warriors of Chaos.
I'm intrigued...
RE.Lee

#532 Post by RE.Lee »

Intrigued by the choice of the army or by how my take on Chaos is going to look like? :wink:

If its the first - I've considered doing a Chaos army ever since I started Warhammer, but I wasn't sure until I bought the Tamurkhan book. Replaying that campaign was a big dream for me and since noone in my group seems likely to start a Chaos army I had to do it myself ;)

As for second - as you can see on the test model, I'm going for a nurglish look with ancient armour and sickly green details. As opposed to my Tomb Kings (whose colour scheme was blatantly ripped off the Blood in the Badlands book), this choice of colours (as well as the winter themed, blood stained bases) was something I came up with myself.

Oh, and I have to mention Gray (the forum member) here - his Chaos army is one of the best I've seen and its been immensely inspiring (look it up if you haven't seen it!). While I don't have the same amount of skill, I'd like to have the same kind of feel to my army.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#533 Post by SpellArcher »

Oh, just generally.

:)

Tamurkhan is a fantastic book. I'll get round to a Chaos Dwarf army with those huge mortars pictured bombarding the city one day!

The knight is a good start. I doubted my ability to paint Nurgle but once I sussed out an effective way to do Plaguebearers I was away!

Gray's stuff really resonates.
RE.Lee

#534 Post by RE.Lee »

Had a great game against Lizardmen with my Empire today. The points were small (1600p) but I managed to get a win. Here's how things looked from the point of view of the Engineer on the central hill:

cheers, Lee

Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#535 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

What is wrong with you, guys! :) First SpellArcher moves to Daemonic Realms and now you are picking the dark side too. Is it the cookies? :P

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
RE.Lee

#536 Post by RE.Lee »

Cookies have been a factor, yes ;)

But mostly its been about finishing my collection. Like so many players I've been biased towards the "good" armies - a lot of my battles have been playing order vs order. This makes a perfectly fine game, but sometimes makes it hard to forge a suitably dramatic narrative. Introducing Chaos should change that and bring any future campaigns to a new level!

Scratch that - in 3 months my kid is getting born which will bring my hobby to a stop, so I'm in full Warhammer panic :lol:
cheers, Lee

RE.Lee

#537 Post by RE.Lee »

The tip of the spear - the Demigryph Knights crash into the Slann and his bodyguard:

cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#538 Post by SpellArcher »

The Slann does not look happy!

I second the point about needing to provide a suitable 'enemy'. Plus there's just something fascinating about Chaos armies and the models are often spectacular. I'm using some of the older (and more alien-looking) Chaos Champion models for my Heralds. In some ways I regret not going for WoC instead but we can't have everything!

:)
RE.Lee

#539 Post by RE.Lee »

True, the older Chaos models had a uniquely weird look. Nowadays it a bit more "brutal barbarian from the north", though I appreciate some of the Nurgle stuff they've put out - the hoofs, fly-eyes, pipes are suitably other-worldly.

In the meanwhile I've played another battle with the Empire yesterday. It was a 3k points a side affair against Dwarfs. Standard pitched battle, with our regular house rules (combined profiles for monsters/chariots, no move-or-fire for infantry).

I deployed a halberdier horde on my left flank (against the corner the dwarfs were castling in), suported by a War Altar, 2 Captasusi and some small shooters. The right flank - intended to be the sledgehammer swinging inside - consisted of a solid squadron of IC Knights led by a Warrior Priest and 2 smaller units: demigryph knights and regular cavalry. Some shooting support was stationed on a central hill.

The Dwarfs were quite typical - 5 warmachines (2 cannons, 2 catapults, 1 organ gun), protected by 2 solid infantry blocks (21 hammerers, 38 longbeards). 2 Gyrocopters and a unit of Miners were included to interfere with the Empire assault.

A mid game shot:

I obviously advanced under heavy fire, but was quite lucky with my rolls and most of the army made it to the enemy line.

My halberdiers blundered in the first encounter, failing to support a charge by the War Altar and IC Knights against the Longbeard horde. In the end my units had to retreat, though were not pursued.

On the other flank, the hammerers ruled supreme. They've quickly dealt with my small Knight unit and then sent the Demigryphs running.

Both back lines were under heavy attacks. My Pegasus Riders assaulted the Dwarf War Machines but had a hard time killing them (damn you stubborn T4 crews!). The Miners, meanwhile, entered right next to my artillery and wiped them out, with the Swordsmen babysitters providing but token resistance (they did pass 3/5 parry saves though, infuriating my opponent!)

The halberdiers managed to clash with the Longbeards eventually, precipitating a deadly grind. In the end both units were wiped out - only my BSB, the Dwarf BSB and the War Altar were left standing.

The Hammerers did meet their match in the Steam Tank - the behemoth crashed into the tightly packed Dwarfs and ground them all down as the battle came to an end.

The IC Knights, having rallied twice, went on a rampage through the remaining Dwarfs, killing some Irondrakes among others:

Last edited by RE.Lee on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Lee

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#540 Post by SpellArcher »

Wow, a successful direct attack on Dwarfs!

I guess you had enough combat troops to give it a go RE and a lot of different threats to deal with.