Tutorial Subsection to Painting & Modelling Forum

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Karak Norn Clansman

Tutorial Subsection to Painting & Modelling Forum

#1 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Chaos Dwarfs Online, being a creative hobby hub from the very start, have a larger hobby section than does most forums. Though it might not be of interest for this site to expand its own hobby forum section to the full extent which CDO has done, it should be apparent that there is something to gain from having a dedicated Tutorial section, i.e. only for tutorials and not for tutorial requests (those would go in M&P general). The ease of finding tutorial resources should not be underestimated in the longer scheme of things. Nurture your forum as a hobby hub, and keep a handy record of tutorials in a way which no Facebook thing ever can do.

As for tutorials, would it make sense to have them broken down into the subsections Modelling Tutorials and Painting Tutorials? Would make it even easier to find what one is looking for, especially when the mass of material grows in time.

Just an idea. :)
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Tutorial Subsection to Painting & Modelling Forum

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

And probably a good one. Dividing things up to much can hurt activity by making it appear that the forum isn't active. But not dividing things enough can also hurt activity because it makes it hard to find the things you want.
Karak Norn Clansman

#3 Post by Karak Norn Clansman »

Yeah, forums should be consolidated and not bigger than they need to be. But resources like tutorials should be easily accessible. Whether through an index sticky thread, or a subforum. A subforum organizes itself, so to speak, as people add stuff of their own to it, while an index demands manual update by a mod.
John Rainbow

#4 Post by John Rainbow »

I like this idea - either a sticky or subforum.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

We'll see what Rod thinks, he should be back from his holiday soon.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#6 Post by Prince of Spires »

I think it's a great idea to make these more visible. I'm wondering about what the best way to approach this is.

Making a sub forum is easy enough. Takes a handful of clicks, so that's not the issue. I'm mainly wondering about traffic volumes and amount of content. If this is a forum with 10-20 topics with little to no activity then it will create a feeling that the forum itself is not very busy. On the other hand, double that number of topics to 30-40 and it starts feeling like a great repository for painting, regardless of activity. Let's make a quick inventory of how many tutorials we'd have for a tutorial forum, and based on that create either an index (which at a later time can always be changed into a subsection) or a subsection.
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.