Building a new Kindergarten...

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Jimmy
Centurion

Building a new Kindergarten...

#1 Post by Jimmy »

Hey guys

Thought I’d share something totally off topic to wargaming but pretty interesting for the most part.

Last year I took my wife for our 10 year wedding anniversary to Vanuatu for a bit over a week of island adventuring and getting away from the grind. During this time we contacted a small village in an effort to donate some sports & stationary supplies to the local kindergarten there. We were pretty blown away with the conditions that the young children had to learn in, by western standards you’d probably call it a chicken coop, it was a very basic structure with little protection from wind as the majority of the walls were constructed from various planks and chicken wire.

During a recent storm the wind had knocked down their chalkboard and destroyed it. We wandered off to the local hardware store and purchased some materials to make them a new chalkboard and set it up at the school whilst they were away so unfortunately we didn’t get to see their reaction.

We eventually developed a good friendship with a family in the village and have stayed in touch with them ever since getting updates.

My wife and I are always searching for challenges and naturally after being home for a few months she suggested we should go back with our kids in December and whilst over there build them a new kindergarten whilst staying in the local village. My wife is a very talented builder and a knack for anything handy, me on the other hand I can only provide muscle and I have very de-constructive tendencies but hey they all play an important part in building something. :)

After talking with our village contact and working out prices the goal we set was for $5000 which would erect a weather/flood friendly (on poles) single roomed class room which is a huge step up from what they currently have and beats a dirt floor. With any funding left over we plan on upgrading the play ground they have or if we manage to find a good source we will aim to have one shipped over but that’s a bit of a stretch.

So the purpose of writing all of this down is for a number of reasons, firstly exposure. The more people that know about it the more people become attached to the idea of doing something to help and maybe will stir the hearts of some people. Currently my wife bakes every Wednesday and I sell these goods at my workplace. We’re also holding an auction on September 1 for a variety of goods and services that various businesses have donated to the fund ranging from legal binding will kits through to jewellery for example.

My wife is also competing in different triathlon events seeking sponsorship to raise money and I’m going to donate a percentage of my personal business funds (Personal training) in October to the fund.

The second reason I think for writing all this down is simply for the documentation process. Keeping a log of the goings on, everyone up to date and when I’m on the ground over there in December hopefully updating as well. Taking my kids over will be an amazing experience for them and I’m looking forward to seeing how they develop in the near month long trip. Coming from a westernised society (Australia) and going to near third world country conditions in a paradise setting I sincerely hope they gain an appreciation for how lucky they are to live where they do and a better understanding and knowledge of the world.

Swordmaster of Hoeth was the first person to make a very generous donation to the fund and in July we made over $1000 so the initial exposure and support has been fantastic.

Couple of Facebook links for those interested:

https://www.facebook.com/events/290847317765002/
https://www.facebook.com/LopeLopeBuildingFund

That’s it for now, but no doubt more updates will come. :)
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Facade19

Re: Building a new Kindergarten...

#2 Post by Facade19 »

While I am no expert at any of the things and activities you mentioned in your post, nonetheless I wanted to just let you know that I think what you and your wife are doing (or going to do) is just outstanding. My sincere hope is that all goes well and that more people learn a lesson or two from your guys' generosity and kindness.

All the best.
Jimmy
Centurion

#3 Post by Jimmy »

Thank you sir.

We're getting lots of donations for the online auction to take place next month which is good. I'm hoping that raises a fair bit of money for the push to make the last few months a rather stress free time of the year. Either way if we fall short of the goal I'm confident we'll be able to at least make an incredible start to what will become a new structure.

X-wing Blog
Maedil

#4 Post by Maedil »

Hey!

I just want to thank you for your initiative and ask if there is a PayPal account or similar we could use to give a donation to the cause?
Runner-up Hexcon 2011.
Host of The Golden Snotling 2011 & 2012, and The Silver Skink 2011 & 2012.

Shameless promoting of my blog (in English):
[url=http://tromsowargaming.wordpress.com]Northern Wargaming Society[/url]
Jimmy
Centurion

#5 Post by Jimmy »

Just an update gents. More items have been added to the online auction and I'm currently getting in touch with some hardware suppliers in Vanuatu to see if I can broker some deal like getting tools and materials for cost price for the project. Fingers crossed that leads into something worthwhile.

My wife is seeking sponsors for some upcoming sporting events, namely the Noosa Triathlon and then the Hervey Bay 100, whatever donations/support can be made would be very welcomed and fully appreciated.

I also plugged it again on Facebook and my old sparring partner wishes to contribute his dojo and students in someway/shape/form into making a donation which is fantastic.

If anyone wishes to donate to this awesome initiative please PM me.

:)

X-wing Blog
Jimmy
Centurion

#6 Post by Jimmy »

An update guys. Yesterday we ran an online auction to sell off various goods and services people had kindly donated. We were blown away with sheer generosity that people had towards the building fund and in the end the auction raised around $2.5k so as you could imagine we are well and truly on target for our $5k goal.

X-wing Blog
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#7 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

What a fantastic initiative, I've only just seen this but wow.

I can sadly only offer my time and best wishes and hopes.
Have you thought about expanding via change.org, you should be able to get some support from some of the generous users and or buildery users.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Gandalf_82

#8 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Good work Jimmy and Mrs Jimmy! Heartwarming stuff! If it was feasible and not a million miles away I'd love to be able to help out and offer more than just a bit of money to the total! I look forward to checking in on this thread every now and then to see the results, you seem very driven and I'm sure you'll make the target and come up with a cracking nursery for them! (Kindergarten?!! Damn American English!! [-X )
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#9 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Keep up the fantastic work, mate! I keep fingers crossed for the success of the fund raising and I hope you are not far away from the target. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Jimmy
Centurion

#10 Post by Jimmy »

Thanks Gandalf_82 for the donation! Wife and I are simply amazed that people we have never met are chipping into this fund, it's very inspiring stuff. =D> =D>

X-wing Blog
Gandalf_82

#11 Post by Gandalf_82 »

Jimmy wrote:Thanks Gandalf_82 for the donation! Wife and I are simply amazed that people we have never met are chipping into this fund, it's very inspiring stuff. =D> =D>
Not a problem at all mate. I am happy to donate to a worthy cause and its clear that's exactly what this is! Your project is obviously going to make a really big difference to that village and its inspiring that you and your wife would do that and put your time and resources into it. =D>
Jimmy
Centurion

#12 Post by Jimmy »

Just an update guys, I'm in Vanuatu now and construction is well underway.  We ended up raising around $6500 and the goal was $5000 so that was fantastic.

Been here a week today and the concrete slab was poured and everything is set to go with piles of roofing iron, cement sheeting and timber.  :)

X-wing Blog
Teledor

#13 Post by Teledor »

Awesome Jimmy! Great work. Let's see some WIPs!
Jimmy
Centurion

#14 Post by Jimmy »

Check out the Facebook links for WIP guys, doing all of this via iphone and often less than a 3G connection so apologies in advance!!

X-wing Blog
Jimmy
Centurion

#15 Post by Jimmy »

Delayed post:

It's midnight and we are here busy laying tiles for the kindy.  Check out the link in the first post for photos.  Still got a bit of work to do and I think with a few late nights and a bit of luck we will get it finished before we leave the country on Sunday.

X-wing Blog