Food - Anzac Biscuits

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Jimmy
Centurion

Food - Anzac Biscuits

#1 Post by Jimmy »

Totally inspired by Sazel from the Ogre Stronghold and out talking about food I'm dwelling into the food aspect of the hobby (because I eat whilst I paint) and in Australia tomorrow is Anzac Day. This is a public holiday for the country and commemorates the first major military action in the first world war.

Bringing this around the food the wives/sisters/mothers etc got together to create a food that could be sent to the fighting troops on the front line that could survive the journey and not spoil from Australia to Europe so this meant the more traditional ingredients couldn't be used such as eggs (also most of the poultry farmers left the country to fight the war..).

Anyway I'm a huge fan of these and this time of year it's a great excuse (I don't need any!) to get into the kitchen and bake up a storm with the kids whilst giving them a history lesson.

Now the stock standard Anzac biscuit is a hard and crunchy affair however there are 'cookie' variants out there but either way I urge you to give it a go and taste some of Australia and New Zealand's history.

Recipe Links

:wink:
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
RE.Lee

Re: Food - Anzac Biscuits

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

These look tasty! I'm not good at baking, but I might just talk my fiancee into giving it a try...

On a slightly related note - I've seen Peter Weir's Gallipoli movie recently, pretty strong stuff!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Aicanor
Rainbows

#3 Post by Aicanor »

Well... :mrgreen:
Sorry for the blurry pic, but there is a storm here, so bad lighting.

I had to use ingredients as closest to the recipe as I could at times (treacle for syrup and such), and added ground candied ginger (it was in the cupboard far too long). The biscuits came out a little bit too crispy, but very tasty. And very sweet. :lol:

I have a Greenpeace calendar where the Anzac day is marked and from the stat of April I occasionally wondered what kind of holiday it is. It is nice to have such a good answer. 8)

Edit: Just a few more words here and there...
Jimmy
Centurion

#4 Post by Jimmy »

=D>

I salute you Aicanor.

I've just finished one with the first brew for the day. :D
Nec Sorte Nec Fato - Neither By Chance Nor Fate

X-wing Blog
Aicanor
Rainbows

#5 Post by Aicanor »

They were approved by the family so I'll add them to my cook book. ;)
Funny thing is that these sweets recipes take much less work than rye yeast bread (I was trying to do it at home lately with varied results, but it was always edible so far).
I am trying to come up with a classic recipe
to of our oen kitchen to match yours, but we do not have a distinct holiday good like the biscuits in this time if year (as the Easter are gone). But if you'd like to try out something, I will. ;)