Where the heck is everybody?

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Where the heck is everybody?

#31 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

daid13 wrote:How long has that quotes been around for?
If I remember correctly (and it's fully possible I don't) longer then this particular site.
Ruerl Khan
High Executioner

#32 Post by Ruerl Khan »

Only a few years. Even if there is some truism to it. I mean, look at me... I'm still here.
I love pushing around my small delicatedly painted dolls together with the rest of you.
Facade19

#33 Post by Facade19 »

It's love that keeps us here. I honestly think that this is it. How many other forums I stopped participating or visiting, but I am always here. Cannot do anything but to. My soul flourished here, my love unfolded in front of so many of you. This is HOME! The one place where I do not feel like a pariah.
Allerion
Librarian

#34 Post by Allerion »

The draw to OT for me had always been the people.

Most of the people I enjoyed talking with left or were banned.

I had the most fun on this site during the campaign. I even went back to the previous site in 2013 just to look through stuff again.

I don't recognize too many people around here anymore. Something tells me I probably won't again.
Excited for TOW
Malvegil

#35 Post by Malvegil »

The Times They Are a-Changin'.

Had a blast back then. Good times. See you again in about seven years :D.
Squeak
The Anarcist

#36 Post by Squeak »

Ruerl Khan wrote:
Only a few years. Even if there is some truism to it. I mean, look at me... I'm still here.
In fairness like, even in 2001 I knew you'd be the last to leave - waving an axe, shouting about burning stuff down and generally being a menace to society.

But, in a positive sense - like how, you know, jesus was a positive influence on society in a menacing kind of way. Well, menacing if you were a Roman at least, and you know, Romans themselves were like, mad for a bit of the menacing, so you'd think they'd see menacing in general as positive, but they didn't, they much preferred to be doing the menacing to other people instead of having other people doing the menacing to themselves, so, like, you know, I guess what I'm trying to say is that...

...I have no idea. But, you know, I haven't logged on since October 2011 and, you know, stuff happened like. Mad stuff.
[size=85][i]"Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Dark Side"[/i][/size]
Ruerl Khan
High Executioner

#37 Post by Ruerl Khan »

Squeak wrote:
Ruerl Khan wrote:
In fairness like, even in 2001 I knew you'd be the last to leave - waving an axe, shouting about burning stuff down and generally being a menace to society.

But, in a positive sense - like how, you know, jesus was a positive influence on society in a menacing kind of way. Well, menacing if you were a Roman at least, and you know, Romans themselves were like, mad for a bit of the menacing, so you'd think they'd see menacing in general as positive, but they didn't, they much preferred to be doing the menacing to other people instead of having other people doing the menacing to themselves, so, like, you know, I guess what I'm trying to say is that...

...I have no idea. But, you know, I haven't logged on since October 2011 and, you know, stuff happened like. Mad stuff.
So, in short i'm good at crucifying people and fear of being crucified have a positive influence on an ordered society?

Sure, i'll go with that. PAX ROMANA!
I love pushing around my small delicatedly painted dolls together with the rest of you.
Giladis
The Merlord

#38 Post by Giladis »

I'll say this. I had some interesting discussions back in the day but I believe the forum today is a much better place with its focus on actually collecting, painting and playing High Elves. Many times "back then" I had a sense this was like an ordinary international banter forum with a Warhammer vibe.

Though I do miss certain people.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#39 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Giladis wrote:I'll say this. I had some interesting discussions back in the day but I believe the forum today is a much better place with its focus on actually collecting, painting and playing High Elves. Many times "back then" I had a sense this was like an ordinary international banter forum with a Warhammer vibe.

Though I do miss certain people.
You've expressed my view on it better than I've managed to so far. I remember being frustrated at times with how empty the warhammer parts of the site were compared to the rest.

I just wish we could have kept both.
Teledor

#40 Post by Teledor »

Is it beyond possible to revive it? I wouldn't mind some good natured international banter. I don't know how it was in the past, how'd you deal with trolling or flaming or were those elements part of the fun?
Greenman

#41 Post by Greenman »

They're probably far too busy with the sex, drugs and rock'n'roll..
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#42 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

Ruerl Khan wrote:
So, in short i'm good at crucifying people and fear of being crucified have a positive influence on an ordered society?

Romani ite domum! [-o< 8-[
Ruerl Khan
High Executioner

#43 Post by Ruerl Khan »

Bob of Beleriand wrote:
Ruerl Khan wrote:

Romani ite domum! [-o< 8-[
I already am. We're the rightful ones here, you are the usurpers.
Loflar

#44 Post by Loflar »

Teledor wrote:Is it beyond possible to revive it? I wouldn't mind some good natured international banter.
Well, if you are looking for a theme, there is for example the upcoming European election.
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/lw6ecde.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg9ismp.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/p4ipaw.gif[/img]
Gaurbund Angecthelion, retired Quartermaster of Corsairs of Obsidian Citadel
NiallCampbell

#45 Post by NiallCampbell »

The fact that this topic has over 450 views yet only 40 odd replies should tell you what you need to know! Looks like a lot of Lurkers vs posters?

I mean look at my Plog, over 4000 views and only 30 odd replies. Most of which are probably me posting updates! Not that I'm fishing for comments, I just mean that surely there's more Lurkers now.

I'm new to the forum anyway and am guilty of lurking around a few topics rather than contributing! Possible down to experience (or lack thereof) with the HE Army ;)
Follow me on Twitter! @NiallJC1984
A Skaven Army Diary: [url=http://s6.zetaboards.com/The_UnderEmpire/topic/8904892/1/#new]All Tunnels Lead to Skavenblight[/url]
A High Elf Army Diary: [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49666]The Glittering Host[/url]
Ruerl Khan
High Executioner

#46 Post by Ruerl Khan »

NiallCampbell wrote:The fact that this topic has over 450 views yet only 40 odd replies should tell you what you need to know! Looks like a lot of Lurkers vs posters?

I mean look at my Plog, over 4000 views and only 30 odd replies. Most of which are probably me posting updates! Not that I'm fishing for comments, I just mean that surely there's more Lurkers now.

I'm new to the forum anyway and am guilty of lurking around a few topics rather than contributing! Possible down to experience (or lack thereof) with the HE Army ;)
Trust me, on the internet, even on this forum, people are experts on speaking about things they are clueless. :P
Archmage_Mariona

#47 Post by Archmage_Mariona »

I don't think its necessarily lurking, I think its just having nothing to contribute. I know I've never played in a tournament, I haven't faced most of the armies like WoC and in my meta I can get away with throwing together a silly list, rolling appallingly then still winning as long as my army has some doesn't synergy. Now I know a lot of the players around me look up powerful lists online and just copy those with no real ability of their own. Now this poses two main problems in my posting on an army list section because either
a) my lists are actually effective due to being unexpected and out of the general norm, making predicting my strategy and maneuvers much more difficult, so they can actually deal with powerful lists
or
b) due to the players around me not being very skilled and just copy and pasting net lists they don't actually know how to use them the same way professionals who originally wrote the list would. (I know many times people who have watched me play have said just from the units myself and my opponent had that I was undoubtedly going to lose, so far only 1 loss in fantasy where I didn't play with at least a 500point penalty, while avoiding wizards higher than level 1, avoiding lores of shadow or life, avoiding book of hoeth and botwd, etc (my opponents really hate me using these things because I table them, in fact my store manager refuses to play me after I used a high magic combined with lore of life against his ogres) now back onto my original point...)

Because of their lack of skill it means that if I were to give advice on any army list I have to run off theory hammer or work from experience. My experience is against the kind of people that with a maxed out 7th edition slann mage priest in a magical duel against a level 1 fire mage (and he had superior rolling by FAR!) cast one throne of vines the entire game, I cast 2 fireballs. Now correct me if I'm wrong but giving advice from experiences against opponents like that is effectively worthless. So often I find I won't give input despite reading a post because I lack the appropriate experience.

P.s. really sorry about my rant, its just you'll never believe how much most of my opponents annoy me...
Giladis
The Merlord

#48 Post by Giladis »

No need to appologise :D
Spartan

#49 Post by Spartan »

Archmage_Mariona wrote:...
^That's the most actual Warhammer-related material I've ever seen posted on OT. The times are indeed a-changin'.

This new generation is too straight-laced, if you ask me :P .
[i]"To contemplate letting the alien, the heretic or the traitor win just to save a few million lives is the worst kind of heresy, because it is clad in the mantle of good intentions."[/i]

"I am Aenarion's heir, not Aenarion himself. My fate is my own."
-Tyrion, Champion of the Everqueen
Archmage_Mariona

#50 Post by Archmage_Mariona »

Spartan wrote:
Archmage_Mariona wrote:...
^That's the most actual Warhammer-related material I've ever seen posted on OT. The times are indeed a-changin'

This new generation is too straight-laced, if you ask me :P .

Sorry I didn't mean to. I was just trying to explain one of the reasons some people (including me) may post less in general and its very easy to start ranting over something annoying. I hope it didn't bother you all too much.
Voodoomaster
High Cartographer

#51 Post by Voodoomaster »

I still breath, plot and lurk
Although now-adays i am ruling my own little kingdom (apart from my own house, the Mrs VM runs that) and writing alternate history novels.
[img]http://www.ulthuan.net/archive/images/Lore4.jpg[/img]
[size=117][color=blue]"There are many wonders to the world, one being the world itself" Loremaster Hlaeitryn, High Cartographer to the Phoenix King.[/color]

[color=red]"The Slaaneshi have their Anointed, Khaine has me" Khael Vraneth, Lord-General of Khaine [/color][/size]
Giladis
The Merlord

#52 Post by Giladis »

Voodoomaster wrote:... and writing alternate history novels.
How is that battleship thing going?
Spartan

#53 Post by Spartan »

Giladis wrote:
Voodoomaster wrote:... and writing alternate history novels.
How is that battleship thing going?
Battleship thing?! Voodoo, do you write fictional naval history novels? I love that (extremely specific) genre! Have you ever read the Otto Prohaska series by John Biggins?

Archmage_Mariona wrote:Sorry I didn't mean to. I was just trying to explain one of the reasons some people (including me) may post less in general and its very easy to start ranting over something annoying. I hope it didn't bother you all too much.
No worries. I was just being cheeky :wink: .
[i]"To contemplate letting the alien, the heretic or the traitor win just to save a few million lives is the worst kind of heresy, because it is clad in the mantle of good intentions."[/i]

"I am Aenarion's heir, not Aenarion himself. My fate is my own."
-Tyrion, Champion of the Everqueen
Teledor

#54 Post by Teledor »

Kiev sure is blowing up... crazy. People protesting in three continents. Outcome does not look very promising for any of them however - and that's a shame.

Thoughts?

Alternative historical novels huh? What does that entail? Stories with the plot similar to questions like 'what if Germany won WWII?'.
Giladis
The Merlord

#55 Post by Giladis »

Teledor wrote:Kiev sure is blowing up... crazy. People protesting in three continents. Outcome does not look very promising for any of them however - and that's a shame.

Thoughts?

Alternative historical novels huh? What does that entail? Stories with the plot similar to questions like 'what if Germany won WWII?'.
Sometimes thought that falls into the ASB category - for that to happen alien space bats need to interveen.

Usually the points of difference are quite small but further butterflies can change events quite a bit. I myself am a alt-history enthusisast as well.
Teledor

#56 Post by Teledor »

Zombies. Zombies would definitely intervene and clean up the situation.
Francis

#57 Post by Francis »

Why Teledor are you posting political stuff? How very decent of you :wink:. Protests on three continents indeed (actually four now with Venezuela), but I wouldn't be so quick to take the side of all the protesters if I were you, there are nuances to all of these situations if one looks closely at them. As for the Kiev situation, it is extremely volatile, the only reason why the army haven't been sent against the protesters yet is probably because Putin won't allow it (to much bad press and Russia will be blamed).
RE.Lee

#58 Post by RE.Lee »

Well the army themselves stated that they will not be involved. At the moment even the riot police are said to be hesitant to intervene. The agreement the sides have signed doesn't seem like something built to last - shortening the presidents term by 2 months after what he's done is hardly a success for the opposition. Even now they are pushing for more concessions - and with Julia Tymoshenko out the momentum seems to be with the revolutionists. Hopefully things will be less violent from now on, however, the hospital I work in is full of wounded Ukrainians already.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Teledor

#59 Post by Teledor »

I thought I had read the previous head of the armed forces was sacked a few days ago for no apparent reason. Total speculation here, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was for refusing to bring the army in - that would be a good sign if that's true. Armed forces that stay professional and out of the realm of politics is a good sign for a country's military. Unlike Egypt, the military doesn't want to pick sides it seems.

And yes, I tend to pick the side of protestors against oligarchs and autocrats. Maybe it's my love of the French Revolution that I I gravitate towards people trying to remove the yoke for themselves. I usually don't pick sides in terms of what their politics are, I just tend to learn towards making more countries successfully democratic - specifically peaceful transitions of power and not throwing your political enemies in jail.

By the way, did you Yanukovych's private residence. Crazy opulent. Also, his cronies have been getting most if not all of the government contracts, his son had 50% of one sectors public contracts.
RE.Lee

#60 Post by RE.Lee »

Yeah the chief of the army was replaced by someone told to be more willing to cooperate with the government, but he also remained sensible, thankfully. I guess, with the president fleeing the country apparently (to Russia, who would have thought...), things are going to be changing. Lets hope it will be a less corrupt regime than that installed by the Orange Revolution.
Teledor wrote:By the way, did you Yanukovych's private residence. Crazy opulent.
Totally! He even had what seemed to be pirate ship in his pond. Crazy stuff. The truth is all the front-page politicians in the Ukraine are incredibly rich.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy