Come In, let me convert you

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: Come In, let me convert you

#61 Post by Aicanor »

@Aicanor
On the pyramids, they didn't have that much time.
The great pyramid was built in 20 years, by all records etc etc..
But this is from a culture that only had copper chisels and stone mallets (which is basically a copper rod with a point and a rock).
In 14th century (AD) they cut semiprecious stones with use of cord, fine sand and water to create thin window panes. The technology is sound, what differs most from our time is efficiency of energy input over time... Egyptians could also use heat, water, wood, and superior empiric knowledge of the materials... I actually believe most of the technologies used are known to us today.

Has anyone heard of the Emerald Tablets?
Sure I did. But the connection of Emerald tablets and pyramids (and its supposed author Hermes Trismegistos with Thovt) did not occur until modern times. Golden Dawn I suspect, but the fascination with Egypt was definitely not started by Napoleonic invasion into Egypt. In medieval times, it was more likely to be linked to the Holy Grail (which was often portrayed as being cut from emerald as well).
I quite like the jungian aproach to hermetic and alchemical texts and their so I will point you there. There is definitely more to life than scientific evaluation (as I said, I find science an excelent tool, not the measure of all. I do find these philosophical texts and myths have value that doesn't lie exclusively on evidence of their factual existence, whether they are as old as claimed or not, but certainly find it hard to use it to back up the coherency of the whole list you posted.

I have not enough time to comment on the whole lot of those themes now, but definitely have something to say on some. Perhaps later...