Left 4 Dead

Anything worth sharing with us but not gaming related goes in here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Elaithnir

Left 4 Dead

#1 Post by Elaithnir »

Well, I got this game a few weeks ago, and I've been playing it quite a bit lately...I must say, it's a dream come true for my friends and I! Surviving a zombie apocalypse with firepower and your amigos watching your back? LANs don't get better than this!
With the promise of awesome extra campaigns coming soon for download, I think this is one game we're going to be playing for a while!
As for the game itself, sure the graphics aren't the best, but the mood the game evokes is perfect... grim and realistic. I especially like the messages scrawled on the walls of the safe houses...although some of them are quite sad.
Has anybody else played this game? What do you think of it?
Tylarion

#2 Post by Tylarion »

I played the game on a LAN with 8 players, we didn't do it that long, nobody wanted to be zombie anymore, too much waiting to respawn.
[url=http://warhammerworld.11.forumer.com/index.php?]Warhammer world[/url]
MizuLuffy

#3 Post by MizuLuffy »

I played only single player mode, but already I can say that this game kicks-ass! Its awsome, bots are very cleaver so single mode is nice to play knowing that you can count on them. Game full of fun and zombies!
[img]http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8564/baretka.png[/img]
[b]Daemonic Prince Jormungand, Mercenary, Lone Wolf, Rogue Chronicler, Veteran of Tor Anlec 34/7/7, 610 frags :wink:[/b]
Seredain
The Cavalry Prince

#4 Post by Seredain »

Awesome game. A word of warning when you get to playing hardest mode: get headsets. On hardest you get so many boss zombies that you really need your mates to save you pronto whenever you get nabbed, and typing isn't fast enough.

Shouting out "tits, I'm smokered again... motherfu*%"^*..." is also funnier.

And, if you have speaks, you get to make horrible dying noises when you get torn to pieces. Brilliant.
Elaithnir

#5 Post by Elaithnir »

Well Tylarion, that's why we settled on playing four per team campaign mode. It's much more satisfying that way. :) None of us wanted to play versus, since A) We love playing as a team and B) In versus you never reach a safehouse/progress (well almost). The narrative component is lost...
As for playing on hard...haha! First we need to conquer everything on Normal! We've only finished Blood Harvest and No Mercy as a team...don't LAN nearly enough!
But we usually play in my gran's (now abandoned) house on the farms so screams of "WHAT THE FUuuuuuuu..." as a smoker snags you are pretty commonplace!
One of my abiding memories is in the warehouse in No Mercy, where you look out on the factory floor...in our first playthrough a Witch was sitting right across from the window on the far end of the warehouse. Paraphrased dialogue is as follows:

ME : "So that's a witch huh...man this music is creepy. Lee, remember to watch our backs. I don't want a horde spawning behind us."
GRIFFEN (my best friend) : "Hey Espio. You have a sniper rifle right? Think you can get that witch with a head shot?"
ESPIO : "Sure thing. You toss that Molotov right after just to make sure ok?"
*crack of a sniper rifle*
ME : "HOLY SH*T! She's coming, she's co...SHE'S CLIMBING UP THE DAMN WALL! AND SHE'S ON FIIRE!!! AIEEEEE!"
:lol:
Ferretsnarf

#6 Post by Ferretsnarf »

I have the game, it is great fun. Funnily enough I was just considering ressurecting the thread from 2 years ago about it, but I decided against it.
I am a hardened veteran of the game I'd say; I've beaten just about everthing there is to it on that game. About the witch, first time I played the game (and for a while I guess) I was terrified of it, now it is nothing. Really you just walk up to it with a shotgun, it looks up, shoot it in the face. Dead, all there is to it.
Or if you are really lazy, even if she is right in a doorway, all you have to do is run right past her, she won't do anything; other than whine a bit more that is.

Despite that, it is an awsome game, easily one of my favorites. I've just become a little disenchanted with it.
[quote]Ferretsnarf says: Would you screw a Half-Orc?
Kitsune (formerly Lathian) says: Yeah, but wilderness, urban or planar?[/quote]
[b]You're[/b] = Possessive form of [b]You[/b]. Example: [i]You're car is nice. [/i]
[b]Your[/b] = Contraction of [b]You[/b] and [b]Are[/b]. Example: [i]Your a fool.[/i]
[i]Okay, now which loremaster changed my signiature to correct it from that? it is irony[/i]
Erileen Swordweaver

#7 Post by Erileen Swordweaver »

I played a demo of Left 4 Dead a while back and I really enjoyed it. Valve makes some really awesome games. I’m stuck on Half-Life 2 at the moment :)
L4D will definitely be on the shopping list in the near future. We are currently getting a new system, so this time the sound effects might actually happen when the action does :lol:
[url=http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/A.me]CMON Gallery[/url]
[color=#000000]If anyone's interested in my miniature commission work, just send me a PM.[/color]
Elaithnir

#8 Post by Elaithnir »

I can understand that you got a bit disenchanted after mastering the game Ferret, I just hope that additional campaigns keep the spirit alive (And add more narrative). Hey, wasn't there a 'How would you survive Zombie Apocalypse' thread a while back?
Rhawtir

#9 Post by Rhawtir »

It's an awesome game, and it's even more awesome playing it at lan parties with your friends, but the game starts repeating itself after a while, so right now I'm pretty tired of it..
But still it's a very good game, and I love the desperation you get after a while for new health packs :)
Look and see the sky turn red.
Like blood, it covers over me.
And soon the sea shall give up her dead.
We'll raise an empire from the bottom of the sea.