MC/MI/MB unit with existing wounds

Ask any rules specific questions here
Ptolemy

MC/MI/MB unit with existing wounds

#1 Post by Ptolemy »

Okay....here is the situation and for some reason, I can't wrap my head around the rules on this.

Say I have a unit of Skullcrushers in two ranks that have suffered a single wound from shooting.

They are then hit with a cannonball which does NOT connect with the model to which the existing wound was assigned.

Looks like this

ABB
BBC

Where C is the model with the existing wound and A is the model struck by the cannonball.

Assuming model A takes 3 wounds on the D6 wounds roll.....what happens?

Do you ...

1) Remove the model with the two wounds remaining, and the remaining 3rd wound is excess since the model only had 2 wounds remaining?

2) Remove the model with the two wounds remaining, and the remaining 3rd wound is carried over to a new model (which would mean that two models suffer damage from a single hit, which doesn't seem right to me).

3) Something else

Thanks! I don't know why this is so confusing to me.
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: MC/MI/MB unit with existing wounds

#2 Post by SpellArcher »

As I read pg 45 you do not assign the carried wound to a model, it is simply on the unit as a whole.

Cannonball then hits, doing 3 wounds. Unit has then a total of four wounds on it. You remove a model and carry the remaining wound on as before.
Ptolemy

#3 Post by Ptolemy »

Thanks. I reread page 45. That helped. Thank you!

For completeness....what if model C (the one with 2 of 3 wounds remaining) was the one struck by the cannon. According to page 45, it says that each model "cannot suffer more wounds than it has on its profile". Does that mean in this case that it can still take 3 wounds (since that is what it has on its profile, which is different from the number of wounds remaining?) and an extra wound could carry onto the unit? Meaning that the single model could be hit and wounded for a total of 4 wounds in this specific case?
[quote]Tethlis: "Most GW female sculpts tend to look like a surly transgender woman of the night, and it would be nice to avoid that if possible."[/quote]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

No, only a character or similar distinct model accrues a wound like this. If a hero were hit the damage inthe first hit would be capped at his remaining wounds.

For a rank and file multi-wound unit, like Ogres, Demigryphs etc, the wound previously done does not 'stick' to a particular model, it's on a unit 'pool' if you like.
RedAl

#5 Post by RedAl »

Yep Spell Archer is on the money, its perhaps not how players from many previous editions are used to thinking of such things but thinking of the whole unit as a pool of wounds makes it an easier more streamlined process to determine damage in such situations.

The golden rule is in the case of such multi wound models you can't do more wounds than a single model has on its profile as has been said. so rolling a 6 from a cannot shot never takes out 2 typical MI/MC/MB just the one.

I can't wait until we get some such unit of our own (as long as its not Lion Riders).

Al
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#6 Post by SpellArcher »

I suspect we'll be paying for it with a magic nerf but yes, interesting times!
Malossar
Something Cool

#7 Post by Malossar »

So wait what did we decide? I'm still a bit fuzzy on this topic myself.

If a cannon were to hit 2 of the MC, and were to follow up and roll double 6s on the multi-wound roll... does the unit take 12 wounds?! Or does it only take 6 ( for the two models hit each having 2 wounds.)
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#8 Post by SpellArcher »

Skullcrushers have three wounds now.

Per pg 45, multiple wounds are capped at the W characteristic of the unit. So a roll of a 6 would inflict three wounds, meaning one model is removed. If the.ball went on to wound a further model and rolled another six, three more wounds would be inflicted and one more model removed. Which is pretty much what Red Al said.