2000 pts no comp list

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Baza

2000 pts no comp list

#1 Post by Baza »

Have a small 1 day tournament coming up, 2000 points no comp, there are various secret missions which will contribute bonus points if completed so having units with fortitude is helpful, thinking about taking the following list:

Alarielle the Everqueen

Mage
Dispel Scroll; Level 1 Wizard; Lore of Metal

Lothern Sea Helm

Shield of the Merwyrm; Khaine's Ring of Fury; Potion of Foolhardiness; spear; light armour; shield; Battle Standard

5 Ellyrian Reavers

5 Ellyrian Reavers

30 Archers FCG

21 White Lions of Chrace -FCG (Banner of the World Dragon)

20 Phoenix Guard -FCG (Razor Standard)

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower

Any feedback or changes would be appreciated.
"From darkness I cry for you
the tears you shed for us are the blood of Elven kind
O Isha, Here I stand on the last shore
a sword in my hand
Ulthuan shall never fall!"
kelzmeltzer

Re: 2000 pts no comp list

#2 Post by kelzmeltzer »

I like Alarielle quite a bit, and an infantry list benefits greatly from having her around.

A few of my thoughts on the specifics of yours:

1. Alarielle
  • -- What lore(s) were you thinking you would use most frequently here? High Magic for the ward saves? If Life, had you considered the Banner of Avelorn on the BSB?
2. Mage
  • -- What was your plan for Metal? I like the lore, though the signature is tricky for a level 1. You’ll need 3-4 dice for the un-boosted casting (74%, 95% chance of successful casting), and 6 dice for the boosted version (73% chance of successful casting, which is a bit low).
3. Sea Helm
  • -- Will he be in the White Lions with Alarielle, or in with the Phoenix Guard? If he’s with Alarielle, the Shield of the Merwyrm may be unnecessary (he would have a 5++ already).
4. Core
  • -- I think you’re a few points short here just based on what you have listed out – I’m thinking you put bows on the Reavers to hit minimum core?
5. Phoenix Guard
  • -- What was your plan for the Phoenix Guard? Did you want these guys to play a support role? In an uncomped environment, they may struggle as an anvil vs. a true deathstar (without character or magic support), so you’ll have to play carefully with them.
As I see it, you might benefit from tweaking your lore and magic item selection, but everything else looks otherwise sound!

If you wanted to radically modify your list, taking out the Phoenix Guard and going toward an Alarielle-White Lion Deathstar™ is competitive but defensive in playstyle (with appropriate support from Rare - i.e. more bolt throwers and/or a frost phoenix). All down to preference.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Baza

#3 Post by Baza »

kelzmeltzer wrote:I like Alarielle quite a bit, and an infantry list benefits greatly from having her around.

A few of my thoughts on the specifics of yours:

1. Alarielle
  • -- What lore(s) were you thinking you would use most frequently here? High Magic for the ward saves? If Life, had you considered the Banner of Avelorn on the BSB?
3 from light and 1 from high
2. Mage
  • -- What was your plan for Metal? I like the lore, though the signature is tricky for a level 1. You’ll need 3-4 dice for the un-boosted casting (74%, 95% chance of successful casting), and 6 dice for the boosted version (73% chance of successful casting, which is a bit low).
In a tournament setting its useful to have searing doom to combat high armour.
3. Sea Helm
  • -- Will he be in the White Lions with Alarielle, or in with the Phoenix Guard? If he’s with Alarielle, the Shield of the Merwyrm may be unnecessary (he would have a 5++ already).
I did change this to a regular noble with banner of Averlorn
4. Core
  • -- I think you’re a few points short here just based on what you have listed out – I’m thinking you put bows on the Reavers to hit minimum core?
yes, I did put bows on them.
5. Phoenix Guard
  • -- What was your plan for the Phoenix Guard? Did you want these guys to play a support role? In an uncomped environment, they may struggle as an anvil vs. a true deathstar (without character or magic support), so you’ll have to play carefully with them.
As I see it, you might benefit from tweaking your lore and magic item selection, but everything else looks otherwise sound!

If you wanted to radically modify your list, taking out the Phoenix Guard and going toward an Alarielle-White Lion Deathstar™ is competitive but defensive in playstyle (with appropriate support from Rare - i.e. more bolt throwers and/or a frost phoenix). All down to preference.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Thanks, I did play a game last night against an Empire list with 3 units of demis and the rest of the army being knights, backed up with light magic. I was easily beaten! I had some bad dice rolling but it did highlight that my elite troop units were too small, maybe should have gone for one big block.

It also opened up my eyes to what I can expect in an uncomped environment and will probably have to match this, anyone suggest a really tough list I could use?
a sword in my hand
kelzmeltzer

#4 Post by kelzmeltzer »

For the tournament:

What scoring system is being used?
  • -- BRB (i.e. 100 points is a win and no credit for partially destroyed units)?
  • -- The 20-0 system?
  • -- Some other hybrid?
Are they sticking to BRB for line of sight rules (i.e. true line of sight)?
  • -- If simple line of sight is used instead, you can get away with bringing some more aggressive and mobile lists with phoenixes, dragons, etc.
Baza

#5 Post by Baza »

kelzmeltzer wrote:For the tournament:

What scoring system is being used?
  • -- BRB (i.e. 100 points is a win and no credit for partially destroyed units)?
  • -- The 20-0 system?
  • -- Some other hybrid?
Are they sticking to BRB for line of sight rules (i.e. true line of sight)?
  • -- If simple line of sight is used instead, you can get away with bringing some more aggressive and mobile lists with phoenixes, dragons, etc.
Its a 20-0 system but you can get up to 500 bonus VP if you complete secret missions such as killing the enemy general or destroying enemy special and rare choices. It is also true line of sight.

I was thinking an Alarielle White Lion horde with light council may be the best choice but open to other ideas.
a sword in my hand