2K Doubles Tournament list with Lizardmen

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Airjamy

2K Doubles Tournament list with Lizardmen

#1 Post by Airjamy »

Greetings to the citizens of Ulthuan.

I have a pretty competetive 2K doubles tournament coming up, and i have chosen to team up with some HE as i think that your list is strong, and also because there is synnergy between the lists. Would love to know what you think about the list. We will not have to be afraid of WoC as much, as the lord restrictions make it so that you cannot take Nurgleprinces with WoC.

I am still on the fence on the lore of the Archmage and wether we will need a Scroll with a lvl4 in 2K. Looking forward to your feedback!

Lizardmen
Lords
Oldblood Cold one. Great Weapon. Armour of Destiny. Dawnstone
Core
12 Skink Skirmishers Javelins. Blowpipes
Special
5 COC Spears. Musician
Stegadon Sharpened Horns. Giant Bow
Rare
Salamander. Extra skink

High Elves
Lords
Archmage Lvl 4. Scroll? Lore?
Core
10 Silver Helms Banner. Music. Shields
Special
15 White Lions Banner. Music. Banner of the World Dragon?
Rare
Frostheart Phoenix
Axiem
Rhetor militaris

Re: 2K Doubles Tournament list with Lizardmen

#2 Post by Axiem »

Oldblood Cold one. Great Weapon. Armour of Destiny. Dawnstone
Core
Special
5 COC Spears. Musician
Stegadon Sharpened Horns. Giant Bow
Rare
Salamander. Extra skink
I don't like the Stegadon here, it's just free points, I would take more CoC (if you were going the bus route), Salamanders, or Cowboys.
High Elves
Lords
Archmage Lvl 4. Scroll? Lore?
Core
10 Silver Helms Banner. Music. Shields
Special
15 White Lions Banner. Music. Banner of the World Dragon?
Rare
Frostheart Phoenix
Helms and CoC? I think that's overkill. If you want to be competitive, pick one army to play the combat force and the other to play support. I would drop the Lions for Banner of World Dragon BSB (you don't have any bsb atm).

If I was trying to be super competitive, I would go with Slaan, Skinks, Helm Bus, Cowboys, Frostheart personally. You may not make many friends, but you'll have a good chance at placing. Something like:

Slaan, Signatures, Scroll
1-2 Cowboys
3 x 10 Skinks
20 Skinks
2 x Salamanders

Prince, Mounted, Stuff
Noble, BSB, Mounted, Banner of the World Dragon
13 Helms, Full Command
Frostheart
Airjamy

#3 Post by Airjamy »

Thanks for your reaction!

There are a few rules in this tournament we must adhere to. First of all, no End Times lord rules, no End Times whatsoever, so i can't take 2 cowboys/Slann/multiple princes. Also, every 1000 points list must be legal on its own, so both lists need 3 units, even though you have only one general for your whole army and one BSB that works for the entire army. THis makes sure that ultimate cheese can't really eb brought to the table.

What do you dislike about the Stegadon? I see him as a strong anti monster creauture(multiple wound impact hits)that also can hold infantry in place with stubborn and LD 9 from the general. Also picking of the odd character with the giant bow is great, he is the only long ranged shooting in the list. It also gives target saturation for the Frostie in the case of cannonballs. I am really struggeling to find room for another Salamander, but i would need to drop the Stegadon for it, and i feel that the Stegadon gives another anvil next to the White Lions.

It's interesting that you would see one force as supporting and the other as primary, how would you make your list with the rules i mentioned? Also, what lore is good on Archmages, and do i need a scroll? I am gyrating towards Shadow, as it is good and does a lot of damage in any game, but against the many Dark Elf lists i think i will see it will be hard to use well.
Axiem
Rhetor militaris

#4 Post by Axiem »

There are a few rules in this tournament we must adhere to. First of all, no End Times lord rules, no End Times whatsoever, so i can't take 2 cowboys/Slann/multiple princes. Also, every 1000 points list must be legal on its own, so both lists need 3 units, even though you have only one general for your whole army and one BSB that works for the entire army. THis makes sure that ultimate cheese can't really eb brought to the table.
How is this a problem? You mean the 50% lords? That was FAQed into normal WH, so I'm not sure what you're referring to here.
What do you dislike about the Stegadon? I see him as a strong anti monster creauture(multiple wound impact hits)that also can hold infantry in place with stubborn and LD 9 from the general. Also picking of the odd character with the giant bow is great, he is the only long ranged shooting in the list. It also gives target saturation for the Frostie in the case of cannonballs. I am really struggeling to find room for another Salamander, but i would need to drop the Stegadon for it, and i feel that the Stegadon gives another anvil next to the White Lions.
Hammer-Anvil is less ideal than hitting hard with a cav bus that breaks through enemy anvils in the first round of combat. Target saturation isn't really an issue - the Steg will just be free points against cannons anyway, and good positioning of the Frosty should allow you to get into combat before getting shot off (unless 3+ cannons).
It's interesting that you would see one force as supporting and the other as primary, how would you make your list with the rules i mentioned? Also, what lore is good on Archmages, and do i need a scroll? I am gyrating towards Shadow, as it is good and does a lot of damage in any game, but against the many Dark Elf lists i think i will see it will be hard to use well.
The above list is my suggestion, and that's per normal rules. I'm also talking about taking Hero Cowboys instead of Olbloods btw.

Slann with signature is best to help you deal with a variety of threats. Otherwise Heavens would be my next recommendation, or High/Life if you go with the Archmage and put him in the Silver Helms.

Edit: If you post a complete list of the rules, I'll give you my opinion on how to optimize for them.

Axiem
Airjamy

#5 Post by Airjamy »

I mean that this tournament plays without normal rules, meaning that you have 25% heroes and 25% lords. I have heard from the organiser that they play this way to stop WoC Nurgleprince lists and HE dragon lists. In the venue they normally have 1v1 tournaments, and with this tournament we are trying to get a little break from the meta. If this would have not been the case i think the Slann would be an auto include, but it is completely illegal in this ruleset. These are the only changes to the rules, for the rest it is standard fair.
Axiem
Rhetor militaris

#6 Post by Axiem »

I mean that this tournament plays without normal rules, meaning that you have 25% heroes and 25% lords. I have heard from the organiser that they play this way to stop WoC Nurgleprince lists and HE dragon lists. In the venue they normally have 1v1 tournaments, and with this tournament we are trying to get a little break from the meta. If this would have not been the case i think the Slann would be an auto include, but it is completely illegal in this ruleset. These are the only changes to the rules, for the rest it is standard fair.
Ok. If that's the case (which I think helps you), I would take something like the following:

Skink Priest, Level Two, Lore of Heavens, Scroll
Skink Priest, Level Two, Lore of Heavens, Sceptre of Stability/Scroll of Shielding

2-3 x 10 Skink Skirmishers
20 Skinks (or more skirms, personal preference)

2 x 4 Ripperdactyls

2 x Salamanders

Prince, General, Mounted, Ogre Blade, 1+, Dawnstone

13 Helms, Shields, Full Command

Frostheart

If other people are limited to 25% lords and heroes as well, you don't absolutely need the level 4. Banner of the World Dragon will protect you from most threats, and the knight bus will likely roll over everything at this point level anyway. Heavens is also your best bet if you cannot put wizards in the bus.

I like Ripperdactls here over the Oldblood/Steg because 1) You don't need additional blockers (Frosty / Skinks / Salamanders are plenty enough to chaff if you need), 2) Frostheart + Rippers is another combat threat, almost as scary as the bus and, 3) the list is faster, and will be able to put on more pressure. If you squeeze points, you may be able to get a third unit of Rippers, which I would also suggest looking at. If you need points after minimizing your core, consider dropping the Scroll priest to Level 1.

Hope that helps!

Axiem
pk-ng

#7 Post by pk-ng »

Axiem wrote:
Ok. If that's the case (which I think helps you), I would take something like the following:

Skink Priest, Level Two, Lore of Heavens, Scroll
Skink Priest, Level Two, Lore of Heavens, Sceptre of Stability/Scroll of Shielding

2-3 x 10 Skink Skirmishers
20 Skinks (or more skirms, personal preference)

2 x 4 Ripperdactyls

2 x Salamanders

Prince, General, Mounted, Ogre Blade, 1+, Dawnstone

13 Helms, Shields, Full Command

Frostheart

If other people are limited to 25% lords and heroes as well, you don't absolutely need the level 4. Banner of the World Dragon will protect you from most threats, and the knight bus will likely roll over everything at this point level anyway. Heavens is also your best bet if you cannot put wizards in the bus.

I like Ripperdactls here over the Oldblood/Steg because 1) You don't need additional blockers (Frosty / Skinks / Salamanders are plenty enough to chaff if you need), 2) Frostheart + Rippers is another combat threat, almost as scary as the bus and, 3) the list is faster, and will be able to put on more pressure. If you squeeze points, you may be able to get a third unit of Rippers, which I would also suggest looking at. If you need points after minimizing your core, consider dropping the Scroll priest to Level 1.

Hope that helps!

Axiem
Liking this setup.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Airjamy

#8 Post by Airjamy »

That seems like a very strong list indeed, i will however go with the COC as i simply do not own any Rippers. I also have no experience in using them, so i do not feel the best about using them in a tournament. It is also coming up in 2 days, i will not have any time to get some/use them. Thanks for your reactions, i will tell you how it went!