Multiple flying monsters list for casual games : 3000

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Sinsigel

Multiple flying monsters list for casual games : 3000

#1 Post by Sinsigel »

It has been a long time since I stopped expecting balanced and competitive games from WHFB.
While I believe balance between 8th ed. armies are on decent level, ambiguous rules exposed to extreme exploitation
and the sheer varieties of lists I might face were what made me forego pure 'competitiveness'.

No matter how hard I try to write 'all-comers' list, there are always hard matchups where no clear answer is present.
Hence I started choosing the models I want, and then start writing lists that could utilise the models well.
The list on this topic is one example. In this list, the key models will be Prince on Star Dragon, and the Dragon Mage.

I found little use in using lore of fire, but the improvement of dragon mage compared to the last edition and the combination with gem of sunfire gave me some inspirations. The dragon mage is quite well defended for a Lv2 mage, can cast like a Lv4, and most importantly uses flaming sword spell by default. The Flaming Sword of Rhuin is the spell I would pick if I were to choose one spell from lore of fire. Not only does it help destroy regen monsters, but also helps elves wound their target better.

Gem of Sunfire, when used right, can also turn the tide in my favour. The sun dragon mount can wound T3 models on 2+ using the gem and the breath weapon, or the dragon mage can wound warmachines on 5+ while hurling fireballs.
I was also fascinated by the image of young, haughty caledorian unleashing magical fire while flying side by side with a prince on star dragon.

Inpirations and personal tastes aside, below is the list.

Lord
Prince(Dragon Armour, Star Dragon, Star Lance, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Preservation, The Other Trickster's Shard)

Heroes
Noble(BSB, Barded Elven Steed, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance, Dragonhelm, Opal Amulet, Potion of Strength)
Mage(Level 2, Dispel Scroll) - Lore of Heavens
Dragon Mage of Caledor(Level 2, Enchanted Shield, Golden Crown of Atrazar, Gem of Sunfire) - Lore of Fire

Core
20 Archers(Light Armour, Full Command)
11 Silver Helms(Shields, Full Command)
5 Ellyrian Reavers(Bows, Harbinger, Musician)
5 Ellyrian Reavers(Bows, Musician)

Special
10 Dragon Princes of Caledor(Full Command, Ogre Blade, Banner of the World Dragon)

Rare
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Frostheart Phoenix

3,000pts

Nowadays I usually play against WoC, Skavens and VC. Against these foes dragon-heavy list won't suffer so much.
Empire, Dwarfs and Ogre kingdoms will give me much troubles. Especially the empire with at least two cannons and two steam tanks at 3K.
Or ogre kingdoms with 4 ironbalsters at same points level. But then again, the list itself isn't aimed for high level of competitiveness so I will just have to get over with it.
PGP

Re: Multiple flying monsters list for casual games : 3000

#2 Post by PGP »

You probably know that dropping the dragon mage get your list better. If you e.g replace it with strike first griffon noble and lvl 2 (lvl2 high power stone+fire ring, lvl2 metal scroll+fury ring is a good combo) you get still 3 monsters. Split the archers with two mages, skim the core that you get 2x14+mus. E.g reavers are fine with just bows without mus. Asf Griffon noble is probably better left out, but reaver bow, enc. Shield, lance, dragon armour, crown, pot of foolhard can at least somtimes work. Dragon helm+ha+lion cloak might be better than charmed shield+da. People can shoot with bows the charmed shield away and then use cannon.
Sinsigel

Re: Multiple flying monsters list for casual games : 3000

#3 Post by Sinsigel »

PGP wrote:You probably know that dropping the dragon mage get your list better. If you e.g replace it with strike first griffon noble and lvl 2 (lvl2 high power stone+fire ring, lvl2 metal scroll+fury ring is a good combo) you get still 3 monsters. Split the archers with two mages, skim the core that you get 2x14+mus. E.g reavers are fine with just bows without mus. Asf Griffon noble is probably better left out, but reaver bow, enc. Shield, lance, dragon armour, crown, pot of foolhard can at least somtimes work. Dragon helm+ha+lion cloak might be better than charmed shield+da. People can shoot with bows the charmed shield away and then use cannon.
That composition would be better. Or strictly saying more 'competitive' or 'efficient'.
But no, I'm intending to play last 8th ed. WHFB games with heavily caledor-themed list.
So not using dragon mage isn't an option for me.

I slightly tweaked my list however. With three less dragon princes, I added up a unit of shadow warriors.
Silver helms will be the primary 'bunker' for BSB, while dragon princes provide supporting shock unit.
The dragon princes also provide stubborn rule to both dragons, which is definitely an excellent bonus.

Lord
Prince(Dragon Armour, Star Dragon, Star Lance, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Preservation, The Other Trickster's Shard)

Heroes
Noble(BSB, Barded Elven Steed, Dragon Armour, Shield, Lance, Dragonhelm, Opal Amulet, Potion of Strength)
Mage(Level 2, Dispel Scroll, Ironcurse Icon) - Lore of Heavens
Dragon Mage of Caledor(Level 2, Enchanted Shield, Golden Crown of Atrazar, Gem of Sunfire) - Lore of Fire

Core
20 Archers(Standard Bearer, Musician)
13 Silver Helms(Shields, Full Command)

Special
7 Dragon Princes of Caledor(Full Command, Ogre Blade, Banner of the World Dragon)
5 Shadow Warriors

Rare
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Frostheart Phoenix

The only problem is when the enemy wizard tries to death-snipe the BSB.
The BSB can instead join the dragon princes, but then it will allow some armies to exploit the small size of the unit.
For example, empire player might just whittle down the dragon princes and snipe the BSB with non-magical cannonball.

But then again, this could be my overcare. Since any decent player would focus his/her cannon on three flying monsters instead of dragon princes.
When they do aim for dragon princes, that would be when all the flyers are gone.
And that means the game is as good as lost, since those three flyers are worth half my entire army.