new to the game, 2k list with questions

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Thorpnit

new to the game, 2k list with questions

#1 Post by Thorpnit »

I'm effectively new to warhammer, and working towards a 2k point army for tale of gamers (already submitted alarielle and caradryan):

Alarielle the radient - 350
casting high magic

Lords - 350

Caradryan on Ashtari - 420

Heroes 420

White Lions of chrace x 29
horde with alarielle + BoWD +cmd +warrior bane - 462

Special - 462

Sisters of avelorn x 16
high sister + shrieking blade - 244

Rare - 244

Ellyrian revers x 5
+bows +cmd - 125

Ellyrian revers x 5
+bows +cmd - 125

Lothern sea guard x 20
+shields +cmd - 270

Core - 520

contemplating switching white lions for swordmasters,i did the maths and for losing 1 strength, stubborn and forest strider, you go from 1/18 shooting attacks killing, to 2/27 shooting attacks killing, but gain 10 attacks... also, with a good chance of hand of glory, i have a shot at WS9 for them, thoughts please?
Thanks
Loriel

Re: new to the game, 2k list with questions

#2 Post by Loriel »

Thorpnit wrote:Caradryan on Ashtari - 420
I have philosophy that when fighitng over 1600+ games never leave home without BSB. Allthough this model would be awesome, you are probably far better off with BSB and regular phoenix on rare allowance.
Thorpnit wrote:horde with alarielle + BoWD +cmd +warrior bane - 462
Two questions?
- Are you going to face ethereal? if not, then I suggest dropping the warrior bane. 2 x str 6 (without) rerolls prolly outhweights that options anyday
- Are you goind to deploy them as 10 wide for the horde? If so, add numbers to the unit since horde doesn't give you pretty much zero with 29 models since we have martial prowess. I find 27+2 characters (usually have archmage and annointed) enough with 8 wide formation. I wouldn't dream of making 40+ model death stars as they tend to die on those horrible dwellers etc. below 30 is nice number that even losing the unit doesn't make you lose the war.
Thorpnit wrote:Sisters of avelorn x 16
high sister + shrieking blade - 244
Thorpnit wrote:Caradryan on Ashtari - 420
Again if facing ethereal magical sword. other than that I wouldn't invest it.

I would personally divide this unit in two smaller ones. These chicks will be gaining so much hatred from any small BS shots / magic missiles that you are more likely to have them do their thing when they are placed apart from each other.
Thorpnit wrote:Ellyrian revers x 5
+bows +cmd - 125
I would seriously consider full command on reavers. Champion is only good if you aim some strange challenge shenanigans. +1 BS isn't probably worth the effort as you could almost introduce another model in the unit.

Musician is only good if you perform flee actions with them due +1 rally. Other than that musician is pretty useless due free reform and most likely they don't end up in fight that are close to draws.

Banner is only good if you are using scenarios such as blood and glory. Other than that you are giving extra 25 victory points off.
Thorpnit wrote:Lothern sea guard x 20
+shields +cmd - 270
I would add more bodies in this, or better yet swap them to archers or regular spearmen. Or silverhelms as I tend to run my list now.
Thorpnit wrote:contemplating switching white lions for swordmasters
With allarielle high magic, banner of the world dragons swordmaster will do fine and they have one great advantage that is flank / rear charge potential. White Lions will have significant problems on rear / flanks (allthough stubborn really helps here). I also use phoenix guard as flank protecting duty, which your list lack, so in this sense swordmasters could be better choice.

The real question is that what are you going to face and what is the actual units to fight against? For example against tomb kings / warriors of chaos / empire (armor empire) white lions probably outhweights swordmasters. Something with more models say skavens, O&G swordmaster prolly is better due more swings.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Thorpnit

#3 Post by Thorpnit »

does this sound better:
Caradryan on ashtari
Alarielle
29x white lions (or swordmasters) in an 10 across formation (full cmd +BoWD)
16 sisters (1 high sister with a shrieking blade, but possibly in 2 units)
5 reavers (+musician)
5 reavers (+musician)
24 lothern sea guard (full cmd, 6 across x 4 deep)
total 1997 points

I'm already committed to alarielle and caradryan on ashtari as they were submitted for previous months on tale of gamers, my 16 sisters are half painted, though i have spares for 4 more. in hindsight, i probably would have switched out caradryan on ashtari for a bsb with the banner of avelorn and possibly eltharion casting in lore of life and shuffle to fit under 2k...
As far as who the list will be against, i know it'll have to fight tomb kings, ogre kingdoms and skaven, though i don't know what all of the other armies'll be as the Tale of Gamers cabinet has other stuff in it too...
As i said, I'm new to the game, why do swordmasters have better flank/rear charge potential? Thanks :)
Loriel

#4 Post by Loriel »

I personally don't think magical banners on our BSB is rather good choice especially on foot, as that t3 elf will die rather easily. the reason why bsb is great is LD reroll. Nothing makes you more irritated than some unlucky panic test roll ;)

Swordmasters can hit flanks harder due extra attack. if you have for example 4 models in flank you get 8 attacks instead 4 whitelion attacks. This is particular helpful if you get attacked by something light. for example fast cav etc.

I wouldn't make 10 wide in so low count unit as you don't gain much from it than slow unit and loss of rank bonuses faster. with 8 - 7 wide you are much more mobile and with the couple losses you are going to get by enemy missile fires, you get almost as much attacks as from 10 wide.
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame