1000 pt. High Elves for a beginner

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

mestewart3

1000 pt. High Elves for a beginner

#1 Post by mestewart3 »

Hello, I'm a total beginner to WHFB looking to get into the hobby. I've done some lurking and watching & here is what I am thinking about getting for my first 1000 pt army.

Heroes
Mage: Level 2 Life
Noble: Mounted in dragon armor w/lance & Enchanted Shield

Core
8 Silver Helms w/shields & Full Command
5 Reavers w/bows & Spears

Special
20 Phoenix Guard w/ Full Command

Rare
Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Great Eagle: Swift Sense & Shredding Talons

I am going to be going up against dwarves a lot to begin with (my brother is also buying an army) so I don't want to get into a shooting game with him because he is bringing 2 cannons and a unit of thunderers or quarrelers (he hasn't decided yet). I'm thinking that the Eagle & Reavers can draw cannon fire / Hunt Cannons while the Knights & Phoenix Guard can tie up his infantry. I took the bolt thrower to have SOMETHING to do in the shooting phase. I chose the Lore of Life to help me get all my troops across the killing field he is going to be setting up.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything super important.
Razzy Mac

Re: 1000 pt. High Elves for a beginner

#2 Post by Razzy Mac »

Welcome to the forum! I'm new here too :P

My question is where is your mage gonna go? You don't want him wandering around alone against a dwarf gunline, but I don't see him being too safe in with the PG either..
RM's High Elf Plog
High Elves: 9 Painted, 112 Remaining
mestewart3

#3 Post by mestewart3 »

I had been planning to plop him in the PG. I guess I had misunderstood the rules about characters in units. Looking at it now it seems like any unit in base contact with him can direct their attacks at him. Is this true? If so I am going to have to reconsider some things.

Should I drop something (probably the silver helms) to build him a bunker of archers?
Razzy Mac

#4 Post by Razzy Mac »

I guess you could mount him and have the silver helms rank up in 3s or 4s, he'd be pushed to the second rank then and will also be mobile (as opposed to being with the archers)
RM's High Elf Plog
High Elves: 9 Painted, 112 Remaining
Mr. Lucifer

#5 Post by Mr. Lucifer »

Just a little list ammendation in my opinion. Rationale will follow

mage
lv2 high
talisman of preservation

noble
BsB
Barded mount
drag armour
enchanted shield
Lance
luck stone

10 silver helms
shields
musician and standard

20 phoenix guard
full command
banner of swiftness

great eagle

great eagle

total-996

So, I've tried to keep the flavour of your list rather than suggest something entirely new.

I have put 4+ ward on the lv2 and given him high magic for the ward boost, he can happily sit in the pguard giving them a 3+ward. Take a shoot spell and a buff spell to ensure you can always cast something. Your noble has become a BsB as a 25 pt upgrade that gives you rerolls and a+1 CR is good. He also has luck stone for a one off rerolls of his 1+ save.

The silver helmsman have pumped up to 10 to fill your core requirement and will be your hammer unit with your BsB.

The phoenix guard are still 20 but have got the banner of swiftness to speed them up a little.

Your unit of reavers have been replaced by a second eagle. At this point level the eagle (imo) gives more bang for the buck ...

So the eagles run interference and warmachine hunting. The mage and the phoenix guard get stuck in to their big unit whilst the SH hammer in to the side of the unit held by the PG or take smaller units on their own
"We are the chosen of Asuryan, beloved of the gods and heirs to the world. Our armies are the finest in creation; swift where our foes are lumbering, cultured where they are barbaric. Give no thought to failure, nor defeat – we are the Children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."
mestewart3

#6 Post by mestewart3 »

Mr. Lucifer wrote:Just a little list ammendation in my opinion. Rationale will follow
So, I've tried to keep the flavour of your list rather than suggest something entirely new.
This makes it sound like you want to suggest something entirely different, if so go ahead (you don't have to give me a list, just some ideas to build around would be more than enough). I haven't bought much of anything yet (I do have the Mage & Griffon Noble, they were really cheap on Ebay).

Also can't I only take 250 points of Heroes? Wouldn't the suggestion you made above be to expensive?
Mr. Lucifer

#7 Post by Mr. Lucifer »

I didn't overly want to suggest something else i just think its nicer tp keep the 'feel' of the list...

As for the %, it has been errand now that lords and hero can be 50%
"We are the chosen of Asuryan, beloved of the gods and heirs to the world. Our armies are the finest in creation; swift where our foes are lumbering, cultured where they are barbaric. Give no thought to failure, nor defeat – we are the Children of Ulthuan and we shall prevail."
mestewart3

#8 Post by mestewart3 »

Mr. Lucifer wrote:I didn't overly want to suggest something else i just think its nicer tp keep the 'feel' of the list...

As for the %, it has been errand now that lords and hero can be 50%
Ahh, good to know, and thanks for the feedback.