Uncomped 2400 tourney! Too rough?

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Cealyne

Uncomped 2400 tourney! Too rough?

#1 Post by Cealyne »

So yeah, as the title suggests I'm going to an uncomped 2400 point vent April 17-19. I'll just get right too it and write up the list...

Archmage:lvl 4 shadow, 4+ ward, power stone, ironcurse icon
Noble bsb: 4+ ward armor, halberd
Mage:lvl 1 high, scroll, ring of fury
Handmaiden: reaverbow, potion of strength

21 archers: musician, standard
12 archers: musician, standard
5 silverhelms: shields, champ
5 reavers: bows & spears, musician

21 phoenix guard: FC, razor standard
27 white lions: FC, banner of the world dragon

2 bolt throwers
9 sisters of Avelorn

Okay, the main gimmic about this event is designing your list around a 2400 point army then breaking it down to a standard 1400 open list. Then you have the option of 2 different 1000 point side bars. The side bars are not open to the opponents.
So I plan to put my mages and white lions on my side bars and my plan is to only change up the spell lores. 1 with shadow and the other side bar life.
My trouble is not the lores... It's even though it is an uncomped tourney, I feel my list might be too tough. I never play lions with the BoWD, nor ever play shadow magic with so many missle troops. Am I crazy? I know it's a defensive list first and foremost with good CC potential. Question now... Should I go softer choices or should I drop stuff and go even harder uncomped?
I can expect to see all the nastiness that is uncomped warhammer. End times list are allowed however end times characters are not allowed.
A thought I had was to drop the lvl 4 of life on my 1 side bar for the ever queen stat option...
Thoughts???
"So do all who see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time we are given!"
John Rainbow

Re: Uncomped 2400 tourney! Too rough?

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

I've played with a very similar list and enjoyed it a lot. I don't think it is all that tough though. DE (infantry based especially) and some other really fast lists will still steamroll you if you can't down the big ticket monsters and units in time. I would also try and get the Reaver Bow and Po.Str on the BSB and remove the Handmaiden in favor of more RBTs.
Cealyne

#3 Post by Cealyne »

John Rainbow wrote:I've played with a very similar list and enjoyed it a lot. I don't think it is all that tough though. DE (infantry based especially) and some other really fast lists will still steamroll you if you can't down the big ticket monsters and units in time. I would also try and get the Reaver Bow and Po.Str on the BSB and remove the Handmaiden in favor of more RBTs.
Thank you for the reply John!

I have to say I don't enjoy the reaverbow on my bsb. I've play tested that build several times and found he doesn't hit for a d*mn thing. The handmaiden however almost always hits. Though I have to say, I have found this list to be weak actually vs elves as well as shaven. I'm trying to tweak the list as best as possible. Shadow has been fun to a point. My main fear and real concern in all honesty is I don't think I'm getting enough out of my core. With shadow archers are ace. Withering is great and mindrazor can be good in a pinch too. The problem with the lore is with archers it's very obvious what the plan is prior to combat. So my opponents can just shut down withering. Also when I roll pit against armies that it's useful against, it's also obvious what my plan is. Can you see my dilemma?
I have also tried out the list with life magic and been... Underwhelmed as well. Dwellers is great, but I must admit it takes no skill to 6 dice a nuke spell to drop stuff. I love the combat buffs of life but at range the lore is really dwellers and that's about all.
Solutions?
I've thought about switching the lore to something more all around, such as high magic. Which I do love high magic. This however changed quite a bit. I could then drop the lvl 1 Mage altogether or just switch the lore. If I drop altogether I can pick up a third bolt thrower and 5 more sisters. Which to me seems like a lot better deal. ( should mention, I don't much enjoy playing with a lot of characters )
Or... I could drop the lvl 1 Mage and handmaiden for a loremaster. Then I could drop the sisters for a third bolt thrower and more Phoenix guard. With that option I could keep using life and or shadow magic... I have a couple months to fully play test all the options.
Thoughts?
"So do all who see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time we are given!"
Marinero

#4 Post by Marinero »

If the tournament is unrestricted, why don't you drop the AM and the mage for Teclis...
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

Yeah, even without Special Characters a HOTEK list with the pick of three good books can be very difficult to face. I'd take the best list you can Cealyne.

I agree on Life, best for a smash list and benefits from other Lore support. You could drop Shadow for High but lacking Mindrazor your only unit to kill hard stuff then becomes the Lions, High foot lists often include a tooled-up Prince or Anointed say. Heavens might be good for Harmonic Convergence, Comet and the missiles.

Most phases you'll be able to throw more dice at Withering or Pit than the other guy can to dispel, once you've drawn the scroll you should be getting the spell through.