Host of the Eternity King Tournament List

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ladril Caledor

Host of the Eternity King Tournament List

#1 Post by Ladril Caledor »

I've been playing around with a few combinations recently, in preparation for an upcoming End Times tournament with Khaine magic. I've rather fallen in love with the following units, for the following reasons:

Darkshards - they were already great value for money, but the addition of Martial Prowess for extra shooting ranks, and the combination with High Magic for a cheap, easy ballistic skill boost, has made them better than ever.

High magic - In my opinion the strongest lore in the game under Khaine magic. When combined with the Book of Hoeth it is extremely easy to spam bunches of reliable, low cost spells, maintain a great ward save, plus Drain Magic and Arcane Unforging are more useful than ever

Frostheart Phoenix - always a popular option, but Khaine magic all but ensures a positive result on the Attuned to Magic table.

Sisters of the Thorn - didn't rate this unit previously, but being able to take all the Life and Beasts spells makes them a fantastic support caster.

Dreadlord with the Black Amulet in a Banner of the World Dragon bus - able to crush anything, even super-characters, in a challenge. I'm expecting an uncomped tournament to be full of combat Lords with magic weapons.

So I'm basically trying to get all of these elements into a versatile, powerful, tournament list. Here it is:

Dreadlord on dark steed with heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, Sword of Anti-Heroes, the Black Amulet, Dragonhelm
9 Dragon Princes with full command and Banner of the World Dragon

38 Darkshards with full command and shields
Lothern Sea Helm BSB with spellshield
Lvl 4 High Archmage with Book of Hoeth, Crown of Command and Golden Crown of Atrazar

5 Sisters of the Thorn

5 Dark Riders with shields

2 Frostheart Phoenixes

2 Great Eagles

The Darkshard block starts 13 wide, to maximise shots, and uses a combination of normal moves and Walk Between Worlds to maintain distance from enemy threats. I also go for Hand of Glory (two or three times if necessary) to boost their ballistic skill, which will compensate for movement, multiple shots and long range penalties and ensure they have easy to hit rolls They have 76 shots per turn with armour piercing, and even with low strength the sheer volume of bolts is enough to cause serious damage. When charged, the Sea Helms ability to combat reform means I can either put the archmage and BSB on the edge of a wide line, out of combat, or 3 wide and insanely deep. With all the low cost spell spam they should be rocking a 3++ ward all game (2++ against spells thanks to the Spellshield), and the Crown of Command ensures they keep opponents tied up while the Phoenixes and DP bus get flank and rear charges.

The army also has plenty of highly mobile chaff, to be used as necessary depending on my opponent. I mainly foresee my chaff units acting as blockers/re-directors to give the Darkshards more turns to shoot. The Sisters also give me the ability to go for Dwellers on any large, low strength units, or cast Flesh to Stone on either the Darkshard block or the DP bus.

If the enemy features a super character like Nagash or Malekith, Arcane Unforging is my best friend, which should nerf them nicely. Whether or not that works I just charge in with my DP bus and issue a challenge, as my Dreadlord should beat any character in the game thanks to the Black Amulet and Banner of the World Dragon (any wounds he suffers from a magic weapon get warded and reflected back on a 2++).

The main thing I don't like is having all my shots in a single unit. I'd love to take multiple smaller Darkshard units. But I would lose so much if I did this, especially the mega-anvil ability conferred by the unit size, Shield of Saphery, the Sea Helms ability and the Crown of Command. I also dislike not having a dispel scroll (mainly for Dwellers, although mega spells rarely work under Khaine rules) but I can't see any way to fit a scroll caddy into this army without removing essential elements, and there's a good mix of wards and magic resistance across the army.

Seeking advice and suggestions as always.
sandstorm

Re: Host of the Eternity King Tournament List

#2 Post by sandstorm »

"Whether or not that works I just charge in with my DP bus and issue a challenge" Not going to happen, as Malekith and Karl Franz both fly.

"As my Dreadlord should beat any character in the game thanks to the Black Amulet and Banner of the World Dragon" I can agree with you that this is a neat trick, but super characters like Malekith and Karl Franz will still on average kill you in the first round of combat, all you need to do is roll a single one for a ward save and D3+1 wounds = dead.

If you want another rickrolling option(this only works against Malekith, not Karl Franz) take a dark peg master with sword of might, charmed shield and dawnstone and put him in a botwd unit. This way if Malekith charges you you challenge with champ and then cast savage beasts on your peg guy next round. You have magical attacks, ignore the first hit and then have a 4+, 4+, 2++ which is much more reliable in brushing off all of Malekiths attacks.
Ladril Caledor

Re: Host of the Eternity King Tournament List

#3 Post by Ladril Caledor »

True, the mega combat characters will probably kill my Dreadlord, but they are also very likely to die simultaneously, or if not they would lose most of their wounds and be very vulnerable after, which I consider a big win with that massive points differential. If I can Arcane unforge a magic item or remove some wounds through darkshards or magic the odds are even better for me.

I assume most opponents would simply try to avoid the DP bus or refuse the challenge. Either way it plays into my hands.

I like your idea, but not sure i can depend on getting any spells from my Sisters. I've found they attract a lot of death as opponents are scared of their spells. I'm pretty happy with this as they only cost a chaff-like 130 points.