2500 PGStar - Have you tried this?

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

BGNLordHelmut

2500 PGStar - Have you tried this?

#1 Post by BGNLordHelmut »

Going to a 20-man tourney on Saturday run by my gaming club (http://www.nerdhammer.net). Want to get some community feedback about this list. Comp is mild, basically no special characters, units capped at 550 points, 50% lords/heroes is allowed, no End Times armies or characters. Also, up to two characters can take look out sir tests against bomb spells like Dwellers, Dreaded 13th, etc.

Here's the list; interested to hear if anyone's tried something similar or not. The idea is to have a highly resilient PG star with plenty of combat and magic punch (and boosted ward save), with two nearby archer bunkers to leap the mages over to if necessary. Sit back, debuff, focus fire via shooting and magic, redirect when necessary, and let the PG deal with whatever else makes it through. Hope for Okkams and if not just hex like crazy.

Prince (General)
Giant Blade, Enchanted Shield, Talisman of Endurance, Heavy Armor

Noble (BSB)
Sword of Might, Shield of the Merwyrm, Dragon Armor

Noble
Great Weapon, Charmed Shield, Crown of Command, Dragon Armor

Archmage Level 4
Book of Hoeth, Lore of Shadow

Mage Level 2
Dispel Scroll, Khaine's Ring of Fury, Lore of High Magic

31 Phoenix Guard
Full Command, Banner of the World Dragon

20 Archers
Musician

20 Archers
Musician

6 Ellyrian Reavers
Musician, Bows

5 Ellyrian Reavers
Musician, Bows

7 Sisters of Avelorn

4x Eagle Claw Bolt Thrower
Visit me (Mut) at [url=http://www.nerdhammer.net/]Nerdhammer: Just a bunch of losers playing with dolls[/url]
John Rainbow

Re: 2500 PGStar - Have you tried this?

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

It's a solid variation on a theme. I think it looks decent. There are maybe a few tweaks but otherwise you're set.

Potential tweaks:
1. Why take crown of command? That noble kit seems off.
2. Can you fit in the Reaver Bow + Po.Str for some more ranged as you have a defensive build.
3. Why BotWD on a unit that already has a 4++? Bit of a waste surely?

See you Saturday!
Alex
Last edited by John Rainbow on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGNLordHelmut

#3 Post by BGNLordHelmut »

John Rainbow wrote:There are maybe a few tweaks (why crown of command) but otherwise you're set.
I really wanted the block to be stubborn. This unit basically needs to ensure it never breaks. That being said, they'll usually be steadfast for awhile, so maybe it's not necessary. Not sure what else I'd fill the unit out with, maybe Ogre Blade on that noble instead for more killing power in the unit, or free up more points and add a Great Eagle in. Reaver Bow and PoS is a good idea as well on a noble or handmaiden. And BotWD may be overkill on that unit, but it really gives the characters in that unit major protection from death snipes and other characters with magic items, ensuring the S4 Phoenix Guard always have some serious killing power in the 3 fighty characters in the unit.

You bringing the same list you took to OTB or something different? Looking forward to getting some games Saturday!
Visit me (Mut) at [url=http://www.nerdhammer.net/]Nerdhammer: Just a bunch of losers playing with dolls[/url]
John Rainbow

#4 Post by John Rainbow »

If you have 31 PG I don't think you should be thinking about being beaten so badly you need to be stubborn. I would change that noble to Reaver Bow + Po.Str. That we he can add some ranged punch or punk a monster in CC with the potion. I would also change the PG to carry the razor banner. If you play it right with the level 2 high you should have a 3++ most of the time anyway.
BGNLordHelmut

#5 Post by BGNLordHelmut »

Yea you've convinced me, thanks! Stubborn's gonna end up being a waste on a unit that is going to be steadfast for a long time, plus they hopefully won't be dying super fast.
John Rainbow

#6 Post by John Rainbow »

I think if you only have a single combat block and you manage to get them in a position where they need to be stubborn to survive it has all gone horribly wrong already.
BGNLordHelmut

#7 Post by BGNLordHelmut »

Agreed, if I'm in that position it's already a loss most likely.