Advice needed on 2400 White Lion List

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Mortaal

Advice needed on 2400 White Lion List

#1 Post by Mortaal »

Hello all,

As the topic of my post states, I am in need of advice on my White Lion army list I built. As I am fairly new to the elves (yet completely loving the White lion models) I do not know if my fluffy based list is at all any good. Therefore I would like the experts' advice on the major flaws within it. The tactical theme I am going with is that of getting into combat as quickly as possible (as a lion on the hunt so to say).

The list:

Prince
- Great Eagle
- Heavy Armour
- Lion Cloak
- Shield of the Merwyrm
- Golden crown of Atrazar
- Star Lance

Archmage (lvl 4 - Life) [goes with the White Lions]
- Dispell Scroll

Noble BSB [goes with the White Lions]
- Heavy Armour
- Lion Cloak
- Shield
- Banner of the World Dragon

12 Silver Helms
- Full Command

12 Silver Helms
- Full Command

Lion Chariot of Chrace
Lion Chariot of Chrace
Lion Chariot of Chrace

48 White Lions of Chrace
- Full Command
- Banner of Swiftness

Great Eagle
Great Eagle

Total points: 2398

Many models in the list will be converted to match the White Lion looks (as many have done as far as I can see on the interwebz). I am still on the fence of dropping the Prince in trade of another mage (perhaps a Loremaster\\Mage combination) getting High magic Lore in the list.

Thank you in advance for your advice and criticism, it is much appreciated,
Cheers,
Mortaal
John Rainbow

Re: Advice needed on 2400 White Lion List

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

Hi Mortaal. Some comments on the list; I think the prince is very vulnerable to something like a cannon or [insert other] attack that ignores armour saves when he is not in CC. You also have very little ranged attacking ability. This could lead you into trouble if your opponent decides to redirect or block your WL unit as you can't get rid of the chaff units your opponent has.
Andros123

#3 Post by Andros123 »

I agree.
You either need some archers/bolt throwers or choose another lore which offers more magic missiles. What was the thought of going with life for this list?
Otherwise I think it is a cool list.
Ladril Caledor

#4 Post by Ladril Caledor »

I think it would be better to change the Banner of Swiftness to the Banner of the World Dragon on the White Lions, then run your BSB with a normal battle standard. Those leadership re-rolls are far more valuable than the movement boost, and you'll also save 15 points. Also I'd suggest a High Archmage (possibly with the Book of Hoeth) instead of Life. This gives you a good magic missile, Walk Between Worlds to help your White Lions keep up with your faster units, and the Shield of Saphery ward save will make your big unit a lot tougher to kill.

My other concern is your mage will be in the front row of your main combat unit and he will probably die as soon as you get that unit into combat. I'd consider running a smaller unit of White Lions five wide (perhaps 5 ranks of 5) and having the BSB and Korhil alongside the command group in the front row. It's such a Chrace/Lion themed list that Korhil makes sense. This will also free up points for some ranged threats like Bolt Throwers.
Mortaal

#5 Post by Mortaal »

Hey guys,

Thank you for the advice so far, I have indeed overlooked several things which I should have looked at more carefully. I have updated the list as follows:

Prince (General) [goes with the White Lions]
- Armour of Destiny
- Dragonbane Gem
- Ironcurse Icon
- Great Weapon

Archmage (lvl 4 - High Magic) [goes with the White Lions]
- Book of Hoeth
- Talisman of Preservation

- Dragon Armour
- Enchanted Shield

12 Silver Helms
- Full Command
- Shields

12 Silver Helms
- Full Command
- Shields

Lion Chariot of Chrace
Lion Chariot of Chrace
Lion Chariot of Chrace

47 White Lions of Chrace
- Full Command
- Banner of the World Dragon

Great Eagle
Great Eagle

As it stands now, all the characters in the unit with the High Lore mage (no idea what I was thinking with Life, perhaps to get the regen saves?) have an already existing ward save, meaning that casting one or two spells should buff them up to acceptable levels of protection (I think?). Next to this I was planning on giving the Chariots the duty of dealing with chaff, and eagles for their obvious redirecting, and war machine hunting services. Silver helms as flank strikers, and the big block of Lions as the anvil block.

I really would like to avoid getting into having ranged attacks into the force, but I do not know if there is a way around that? (perhaps with the High Lore this changed that a little)

Let me know if this at all has been an improvement, or if I should consider further changes.
cheers,
Mortaal
Melker O.

#6 Post by Melker O. »

Im also a big fan of themed list and just imagining that huge block of White Lions makes me want to do something like that. Even though I am not very experienced with WL I would say that you should split the unit in half. Makes you much more threathening for counter-charges.
But maybe these tips are just waste idk.
Ladril Caledor

#7 Post by Ladril Caledor »

I think the updated list looks much stronger overall. I'd suggest a better weapon for the Prince though, perhaps the Ogre Blade or the Sword of Anti-Heroes. A great weapon isn't actually that great on a combat character, as you lose the shield and re-rolls to hit.
Mortaal

#8 Post by Mortaal »

Thank you for both reactions, well appreciated. Though I would like to keep the large block of Lions as it is for the purposes of gaining ward save buffs and the protection of the BotWD, rather than splitting it up. Although I understand your point, which is very valid as well.

As far as creating a better combat character I came up with the following, although this sacrifices defences in terms of lowering ward saves (which should still be able to get buffed up decently using casting):

Prince (General) [goes with the White Lions]
- Dragon Armour
- Ogre Blade
- Enchanted Shield
- Ironcurse Icon

Archmage (lvl 4 - High Magic) [goes with the White Lions]
- Book of Hoeth
- Talisman of Preservation

- Dragon Armour
- Shield

How would this setup look like? Better or worse due to the lowered saves?

cheers,
Mortaal
Ladril Caledor

#9 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Better. As you said, with High Magic and the Book of Hoeth it's pretty easy to maintain a good ward save with those low cost, reliable spells.