1500pts vs WoC and dwarfs

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Horillion

1500pts vs WoC and dwarfs

#1 Post by Horillion »

hello everyone
some weeks ago I started with warhammer and I started an army of HE, I have searched much information already but I think I still can use some help.
so i started building an army list of 1500 points against my main enemies: Warriors of Chaos and the dwarves:

(first off all: thank you for all the tips you gave me already)

Lords:
320 points - Archmage: lvl 4, boek of hoeth, , talisman of preservation, (so removed the steed and increased his ward save)

Heroes:
157 points - noble: BSB, dragon armour, cloak of beards, shield of merwyrm and downstone. (removed halberd, shield and longbow adn the magic banner for magic items)

core:
220 points - (12) archers: champ, musician.
230 points - (20) spearman with FC and banner of eternal flame
145 points - (5) Silver helms:FC,shields (they could fit in here after the changes)

special:
320 points - (10) PG: FC, and BoTWD (removed reaver bow and changed the banner + i cannot add PG yet)
70 points - Tyrannoc chariot

rare:
flamespyre phoenix (worth 225 points)

so i made the changes

and i hope i will recieve some more tips or any kind of help if I still did things wrong (or they could be better)
Last edited by Horillion on Sat May 09, 2015 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rabidnid

Re: information is always welcome

#2 Post by Rabidnid »

Hello yourself and welcome to Ulthuan.net

OK, there are a few things that you are doing that are really bad ideas, plus some other questions.

How many points is this list supposed to be?

The mage and BSB on horses when they are the only horses in the army is a bad thing. A 4+ ward save is usually fine for mages. Your banner on the BSB is also usually better on a unit so the BSB can buy some magic items

How many points are you playing, who are you playing against and what models do you have.

And the flamespire is fine, I sold my frost phoenix because I was so bad at using it.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Cold Phoenix

Re: information is always welcome

#3 Post by Cold Phoenix »

Hi and welcome to Ulthuan!

There a few problems with your list:

1-putting the Archmage on a horse means that he loses the protection of the "Look out Sir" rule. As he is now, a hit from a cannon has a pretty good chance of killing him. Solution; take away his horse. Also, the Cloak of Beards is a waste on the Archmage. He doesn't want to be in combat, which is the only time the Cloak works.

2-BSB has a Halberd and shield. Because the Halberd is a 2-handed weapon he can't use both in melee. He's also quite easy to kill in melee, so keep him out of combat. Solution; take away the Halberd or Shield.

3-Spearmen have the War Banner. Under the rules, they can only buy a banner worth 25 points or less and the War Banner costs 35. Solution: take away the War Banner.

4-The Phoenix Guard are too small. 15 is about the right size for a unit at this point level, deployed 5 wide and 3 ranks deep. The Reaver Bow is a waste. Unless the Phoenix Guard are standing still, in short range of a target, you'll hit on 5s. I'd use the points you'll save by dropping it, the War Banner, Cloak of Beards and the Archmage's Horse to pay for an extra 5 Phoenix Guard.

Don't get discouraged be the fact that you need to make some changes. All of us had to learn at one point or the other.

For the Phoenix, the Frostheart is much better in combat and Blizzard Aura is very good, but the Flamesypre can burn enemy units by flying over them. The Flamesypre Also has a chance of coming back when it dies (good if a cannon decides to kill it). Frostheart will be much better against Warriors of Chaos and will be very useful against Dwarves if it gets to combat, but the Flamespyre is more useful out of combat and can come back from the dead. My personal pick here would be the Frostheart, but don't expect it to do much against Dwarves.