Just started a High Elves army - first 2000p list

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

The Dragon Prince

Just started a High Elves army - first 2000p list

#1 Post by The Dragon Prince »

Hi guys,

I just started a High Elves army a few weeks ago. The End Times campaign made me interest in started an elven army, first I thought to start a Dark Elves army but because I really like some of the High Elves models I decide to go for HE. I am not intending to build the most competitive army but I am looking to build a list that can at least accomplish something. In my LGS people tend to bring fun and fluffly lists and our tournaments are never 'hard'.

That having said I will now tell a bit about the restrictions our LGS implemented last tournament:

Models of 5 or less points - 30 max per unit
Models of 12 or less points - 20 max per unit
Models of 13+ - max 15 per unit
Monstrous infantry is counted as wound per model (so a ogre will count as 3 models)
Cavalry max 10 per unit
Monstrous cavalry max 4 per unit
Can't duplicate monster choices

So fielding a deathstar type of unit is really hard and the focus lies a bit more on MSU.

I have the following models:

2 times the Island of Blood set
10 Dragon Princes
1 Flamespyre Phoenix with Anointed
3 Eagle Claw Bolt throwers
1 Loremaster of Hoeth

In an attempt to utilize my models as good as possible I made the following list:

Eltharion the Grim
-Stormwing
-Lore of Death

Mage
-Lvl2
-Dispel Scroll

Noble
-Barded Steed
-Dragon Armour
-Shield
-BSB
-Golden Crown
-Ogre Blade

5 Ellyrian Reavers with bows
5 Ellyrian Reavers with bows

12 Sea Guard with shields

8 Silverhelms with Shields and FC

9 Dragon Princes with FC/Razor Standard

14 Sword Masters

2 Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers

I want to use Eltharion as a character sniper which can also double as a good flank charger. The BSB will go into the Dragon Princes and will be looking to take down heavy hitters. The Sword Masters are there to protect the flank while the Silverhelms can charge into smaller units. The Sea Guard will function as a mage bunker and the Reavers will hunt for warmachines.

I know Eltharion will suffer from cannon balls but not all of my regular opponents field them, actually only one opponent fields a cannon with regularity and then still he would have to one shot me turn one for me not to reach combat.

Can a list like this work in a soft environment and what lore should my other mage be using? High Magic?
John Rainbow

Re: Just started a High Elves army - first 2000p list

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

At this points level, unless you have a very good reason I think you have to take a level 4. You simply need that extra +2 to dispel even if you don't need the offensive magic.
The Dragon Prince

#3 Post by The Dragon Prince »

John Rainbow wrote:At this points level, unless you have a very good reason I think you have to take a level 4. You simply need that extra +2 to dispel even if you don't need the offensive magic.
Yeah it was also something I was worried about. I want to build a unconventional list because people at my club always hate on 'cheese' armies such as Elves and Chaos. I want to show them that you can build a nice list without having too much cheese in your list.

So I considered your advice and I think you are correct.

What about instead of the Griffon Prince and the second mage the following:

Archmage on Sun Dragon, lvl 4 Death, Talisman of Preservation

Noble on Great Eagle, BSB DA Golden Crown, Charmed Shield, Star Lance

And fill out my troops with 3 extra Sea Guard, a 10th Dragon Prince and an extra Sword Master with Full Command.

The list would be this:

Dragon Mage

Eagle Noble BSB

2x5 Reavers
15 LSG
8 Silverhelms

10 Dragon Princes
15 Sword Masters

2 Bolt Throwers

I would have a lot of mobile hitting power in the cav backed up by a Eagle Noble. The Sword Masters would go on the flank with the Sea Guard as a mobile archery platform. The Reavers either serve as redirectors or as Warmachine hunters.

The Dragon Mage should stay out of combat as much as possible, assasinate characters / warmachines and flame rank and file. I never play against a lot of cannons, but when I do I just have to be careful,

Do you think this is better? It is a shame our tournaments won't let us use the 50% lord limit as I would love to tool up the mage a bit more but as it stands I can't.
ArcaneSnow

#4 Post by ArcaneSnow »

Just a bit curious here, but do you mind me asking where you play at? Those are some very interesting restrictions for a local tourney. Feels like those rules would make some horde style armies almost pointless to play.
Check out my High Elves R3K Plog! It's super picture heavy though... You've been warned..
The Dragon Prince

#5 Post by The Dragon Prince »

I play in Arnhem, The Netherlands. Horde armies are non-existened in at our club. It makes the game so much more interesting, or at least I think so. However my other army is Ogres and even though my units are a bit smaller, it's not uncommon to have a single unit totalling a 1000 points because of expensive characters.That's why I like to run smaller units with High Elves.
Andrei_Warrior

#6 Post by Andrei_Warrior »

Well, Eltharion isn't actually such a bad choice as most people think. Instead of using him for death snipes, fly him up the flank and purple sun their whole army!
The Dragon Prince

#7 Post by The Dragon Prince »

My only concern is that two spells is hardly a guarantee for something good or at least to count on getting something particular.

How are the experiences with Teclis in a MSU setting? He would guarantee getting the spells you want and is a level 5 to boot. Then go with a more ranged orientated list with sea guard, archers, sisters of Avelorn and RBT's. I could split the Dragon princes up in two units of 5 with a block of swordmasters. Character sniping would be off the table as would Purple Sun in all likelihood but with spells like dwellers and comet you could threaten a lot while using other spells to debuf.

Paying either 490 for a semi wizard or 500 for a wizard on Dragon which doesn't want to see combat seems like a loss to me now I think about it more.