2400 cav list (ETC like list)

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

plu042

2400 cav list (ETC like list)

#1 Post by plu042 »

Hey fellow gamers.. I am in the hobby for about a year and a half and recently I have visited my first tournament. I just loved the competetive play, however I realized, that infantry based list is something that does not suit my playstyle. That is why I am trying to build the list around cavalary.

Few thoughts about the list:

1) We usually play according to ETC restriction. This list is constructed according to first draft of ETC. Restriction will be changed a lot, but it seems to me that I will not be able to field multiple heroes, BoWD, Book of hoet and RBTS. Thats why there is no book and RBTs.

2) Both lists have flamespyre phoenix: I like this guy. I was the only one in tourney who brought it, but it did awsome job. Every oponent was amazed that I brought "weak" flamespyre, but it did earn its point in every single battle except one (best matchup was vs wood elves, where I was burning his scouts, archers, wild riders). And to be honest.. most of my opponents ignored him whole game :)

3) Dragon princes: first of all.. the models are awsome :) If I put model appearance aside.. I like hit and run tactics. What I usually do is to plan major engagement in turn 3 or 4. So in first two turns I take my heavy cav and go out there an kill something small (fast cav, archers, warmachine). Then I turn them to face either flank or rear of opponents units to combocharge them. I used to play 6 Silverhelms 2 wide and 3 deep. But I just feel like, that I am missing attack or two from time to time.

Why FCG in Dragon princes? It helps with combat ress and it will help me with scenarios where I need fortitude points (this was a major problem for me in last tourney. I did not have enought flags, so my opponent killed my general and got 10 extra points :( )

Option 1:

Core: 667 points

14 Silverhelms FCG, Shield
5 Ellyrian reavers, Spear and bow

Special: 350 points

5 Dragon princes, FCG
5 Dragon princes, FCG

Rare: 465 points

Frosthart phoenix
Flamespyre phoenix

Lords: 548 points

Prince General:
- Elf steed (barded), Star lance, Enchanted shield, The OTS, Talisman of Endurance, Heavy armor, Halbert

Archmage:
- Elf steed (barded), Talisman of preservation

Heroes: 363 points

Noble BSB:
- Elf steed (barded), Lance, dragon armour, shield, Banner of the world dragon

Mage:
- Elf steed (barded), Khaines ring of fury, Dispell scroll

Option 2:
This list is focused on making my flanking units stronger. I do have more heroes here, so I am able to put heroes either into silverhlems or dragon princes. I am thinking of running dragon princes 3 wide with hero in each unit (if the circumstances are right). It will be hard hitting unit, that is able to gring enemy unit in following turns thanks to hight str attacks of heroes. It will be able to slip behing enemy lines thanks to being 3 wide. Heroes are kitted in the way where I have both normal and magical attacks.

Core: 644 points

13 Silverhelms FCG, Shield

Special: 360 points

5 Dragon princes, FCG
- Banner of ethernal flame

5 Dragon princes, FCG

Rare: 225 points

Flamespyre phoenix

Lords: 558 points

Prince General:
- Elf steed (barded), Giant blade, Enchanted shield, The OTS, Golden crown of Artazar, Heavy armor, Halbert

Archmage:

Heroes: 609 points

Noble BSB:

Noble:
- Elf steed (barded), Ogre blade, heavy armour, Dragon helm

Noble:
- Elf steed (barded), Great weapon, heavy armour, lion cloak, charm shield, potion of foolhardiness

Mage:

So what do you guys think? I am posting for the first time, so there might be some mistakes.. sorry for them..

John
Last edited by plu042 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Rainbow

Re: 2400 cav list (ETC like list)

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

Hey John. Welcome to the site. I'm sure there's a few ETC familiar people who can help you out with this as they will know the restrictions better than me. Both lists look reasonable though I do have a couple of questions:

1. What lores are the mages taking?
2. You have 4 BSBs in the 2nd list. I'mm sure this is a typo but make sure you have the points correct.

Also, I prefer the 2nd list as the Giant Blade and Ogre Blade will help you grind a bit more but I think you may have overdone it with a few too many heroes. Can you make a combo of the two lists by taking out a hero or two from the 2ns and adding a frosty?
plu042

#3 Post by plu042 »

John Rainbow wrote:Hey John. Welcome to the site. I'm sure there's a few ETC familiar people who can help you out with this as they will know the restrictions better than me. Both lists look reasonable though I do have a couple of questions:

1. What lores are the mages taking?
2. You have 4 BSBs in the 2nd list. I'mm sure this is a typo but make sure you have the points correct.

Also, I prefer the 2nd list as the Giant Blade and Ogre Blade will help you grind a bit more but I think you may have overdone it with a few too many heroes. Can you make a combo of the two lists by taking out a hero or two from the 2ns and adding a frosty?
Hey John,
thanks for your input.

1. My level 2 is taking high magic - mainly to get better ward save. However I am not sure about lvl 4 - I have been testing several lores. Most promising are shadow, death, beast. I will have to playtest these lores bot more.

2. Fixed the copy paste error and checked the points.

I will try to play with heroes a bit (remove one noble meaby) and fit there a frosty.. I will post my new list here later today.

Thanks and more ideas are welcomed :)
Andrei_Warrior

#4 Post by Andrei_Warrior »

if you take the second list, you should for sure take beasts. it works amazing with character deathstars.
pk-ng

#5 Post by pk-ng »

Hey John

Having look through you list I like aspect of both lists and my points are as below

a) Way too many points in core. HE should also min core...I had yet to see our Core do well.
b) I like your army set up in your 1st list but I think it might be a good idea to invest Flaming banner into one of your DP units.
c) Your character set up in your 2nd list slightly better but I'm not a big fan of alot of heroes as I don't think HE characters are combaty as compared to other armies.
d) In both list you have Halberd in both your Princes which is a waste as a) 1st list you have Enchanted Shield b) 2nd list you have giant blade and enchanted shield in which you can't use the halberd.

Overall I would try to work with the 1st list but rejig some of the character items / setup.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
plu042

#6 Post by plu042 »

Hey guys,
played 3 games yesterday and thanks to them and your suggestions I have made some changes. I tried to do a mix of those two lists:

1) I have removed one of the Nobles and added a frost phoenix.
2) I have came to realization that I am not able to cast several spells a turn with my level 2 High mage. Between dispell dice, scroll and need to cast spells with my lvl 4, I was able to cast 1 spell from high lore a turn (when I had average number of power dice at least). Thats why, I have lowered my mage to lvl 1. This way, I will have 2 high magic spells available to me - thanks to the ring he is carrying.
3) Core units have been rearranged - dropped from 677 to 608 points, so I limit my point in core to minimum. I have removed one unit of Ellyrian reavers and added 3 silverhelms. I feel like I do not need 3 units of fast cavalry, since I have multiple small and fast units that can count as redirectors in later turns. And to be honest, when having 3 ER units, the board was bit messy - I felt like I do not have enough free space for maneuvers.
Why did I add 3 silverhelms? Well I needed points in core and in my short experience I found out that they can die fast - cannon, rbts, volume of arrows, etc. And to be honest there is huge difference when charging with 10 or 15 cavalry bodies. Now, I expect to lose like 3-4 before I get to charge, leaving the unit to be effective.
4) I have replaced Giant blade on my prince with ogre blade. I feel like having str 7 is great, but I was faced with problem of having 2419 point in roster and there was no other thing to get rid of. On the other hand, after the turn I charge I will have to buff a unit that he is part of anyway, otherwise the cav will have only str 3 attacks.

My experience with lores:

Shadow:
Cast Okkams Mindrazor or Withering and anything melt like snow. Pit of shades - meh.. casted it 4 times, scattered every single time, not hitting a single model. Do not really like spells, where luck is involved. With Withering, I know that I will be lowering T at least by one.

Death:
Doom and darkness rocks - with this list, I am quite often attacking from rear or flank and tend to win combat by at least 3 in first turn. This way, I have a decent chance to break monsters or stead fast infantry, etc.
Purple sun - also good. I have good movement and can position myself nicely.

Beast:

Wyssans wildform, Impenetrable pelt, svage beast of horrors - all great spells helping this list greatly. In comparison with shadow, beast spells are much cheaper, so you can try cast more of them .. but then again, one irresistibly forced mindrazor and you kill anything.

Over all, lore of beast seems to me as the most solid - and I have +1 to cast, since I will be casting it on cav (lore attribute).

Option 3:

Core: 608 points

16 Silverhelms FCG, Shield

Special: 360 points

5 Dragon princes, FCG
- Banner of eternal flame
5 Dragon princes, FCG

Rare: 465 points

Frosthart phoenix
Flamespyre phoenix

Lords: 540 points

Prince General:
- Elf steed (barded), Ogre blade, Enchanted shield, The OTS, Talisman of Endurance, Heavy armor

Archmage:

Heroes: 426 points

Noble BSB:

Noble:
- Elf steed (barded), Great weapon, heavy armour, charmed shield

Mage - level 1: