Blood Elves 1600 points

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Garmalak

Blood Elves 1600 points

#1 Post by Garmalak »

Lords & Heroes:

Prince Althran on Eagle (Forgot what I gave him... Have to pull out my book again, was about 500 points though)
Noble (Longbow, mounted, barded elven steed, shield and dragon armour) 102 points

Core:

Seaguard - 20 units (Sea Master, Bannerman and Musician) 270 points
Archers - 20 units 160 points

Special:

Swordmasters of Hoeth 20 units (All three upgrades) 290 points
Dragon Knights of Caledor 5 units (Drake Master, Bannerman and Musician) 175 points
Lion Chariot of Chrace 120 points
Garmalak

Re: Blood Elves 1600 points

#2 Post by Garmalak »

Would you say this is a good army?
Ferny
9th Age Moderator

#3 Post by Ferny »

It's not a traditional army, which doesn't mean its bad, but I'm not sure what the focus is. It's probably fair to say it isn't the most points efficient list though, with units like the lion chariot and naked noble in there.

1 - no magic...you don't *have* to have magic, but it is worth being clear about what you're going to focus on instead if you choose not to. Note that this also means you have no dispel scroll or bonuses, which might impact on your choice of troops or items.

2 - no BSB - I pretty much think you need one, and as you have a noble, you might as well give him the upgrade...and then give him some nice kit, maybe PoS and dawnstone?

3 - give the swordmasters the BotWD - I can't see any reason why not to do this (it is a huge boost on naked and better than any other banner and nothing else really competes for it, especially if you don't have magic defence elsewhere in the list). Drop unit size a little if need be to afford it.

4 - other than that I think it comes down to focus and choice. I don't know why you've put your lord on an eagle or what role you see for your noble (who isn't that much better than a drakemaster, but costs plenty more), or the chariot, or etc etc, but if you have a plan for them then give it a whirl.
The 9th Age: Alumni

Former Roles: Advisory Board, HR, Moderator and Highborn Elves Army Support
Garmalak

#4 Post by Garmalak »

I've tried to make it into a sort of "shock" army, don't know if I succeeded (thus why I posted here). So pester with the archers, then go in with the strong Swordmasters and Dragonlords.
PrinceElthuanStarshine
Location: England, where weather forecasts can be done by anyone

#5 Post by PrinceElthuanStarshine »

Garmalak wrote:I've tried to make it into a sort of "shock" army, don't know if I succeeded (thus why I posted here). So pester with the archers, then go in with the strong Swordmasters and Dragonlords.
There's a big lack of magic defence and that's an area High Elves can excel in. I'd say you'd do better with an Archmage than a Prince, certainly more effective than one on an Eagle.

The problem with a Prince on Eagle(as your sole lord choice) is that an eagle works best as inexpensive redirectors and harassment units. By mounting your tooled up Prince on one, you're no longer cost effective in that role as you're too valuable a target and you lack the punch of a Prince on Dragon(or suitably fighty mount). Based on the name of the Prince(the Isle of Blood character) and that you've managed to somehow get the Prince to 500 pts, I'm fairly certain you've mistakenly called a Griffon an Eagle.

Your noble should be a BSB, there's no reason not to have it as such, it'll only benefit you. You don't need a longbow on him either.

You've also paid the points for your Seaguard to have shields but haven't stated so on the entry.

The biggest issue with your army that I can see is as stated by Ferny, a lack of focus. Part of your army needs to be stationary or move at half speed to shoot effectively. The Dragon Princes and Swordmasters need to be in combat to be effective. There's a strong possibility that your units will get isolated due to this. If you're going to be more static than White Lions are a stronger choice or Phoenix Guard than Swordmasters since they're much more durable in comparison. Adding BotWD would be useful to you as well.
Life's too short to read signatures