Alarielle and Alith Anar list 2400 pts.

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Andros123

Alarielle and Alith Anar list 2400 pts.

#1 Post by Andros123 »

I'm preparing myself for a upcoming tournament, where special characters are allowed for once. So I wanted to bring some!

First draft:

Lords
Alarielle
Alith Anar

Heroes
lvl. 1 light mage - forbidden rod
Lvl. 2 light mage - Dispel scroll
Noble BSB - Banner of Avelorn, Golden Crown of Atrazar
Caradryan

Core
3x5 reavers

31 lothern sea Guard
Full command
No shields

Special
28 Swordmasters
Full command
Banner of the world dragon

Rare
2xEagle Claw bolt Thrower

Okay, so the Sea guards and swordmasters are there for comp reasons. It is possible for me to exchange the swordmasters with white lions, however it will be at the expense of a strength 6 banishment going down to a strength 5 (my lvl. 1 will pick high instead). Thoughts on that one?

So Caradryan is there to issue challenges and act as bodyguard for the lady. Alith Anar is a ton of points, but I think he is really cool, and his bow is pretty insane. Furthermore, I would just love to see my opponents face when I have got of Timewarp off and in the next turn charge (with Alith making the unit swiftstride) across the board with the swordmasters. Movement 10 with swiftstride, ouch!

Would it be better to drop him for more bolt throwers, maybe some phoenix guards?
I havn't really played all these characters before, so I don't really know their potential (or lack of :wink: ).
John Rainbow

Re: Alarielle and Alith Anar list 2400 pts.

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

TBH its not my cup of tea at all but it could work. My main worry is that the LSG will need buffs in CC to work and I don't see them getting it from Lore of Light - sure it can help them hit, which they already do pretty well with ASF but it doesn't help them wound/crack armour.
Andros123

#3 Post by Andros123 »

Thanks for your response John.
Is it because you don't like the "putting all your eggs in one basket" thing?
You are spot on with regards to the Sea guard. I hope my Bolt throwers + Alith and banishment can take care of the armoured stuff before combat. I will also try to keep them out of combat for as long as possible.
Grenic

#4 Post by Grenic »

As it sounds like there are some tourney restrictions, can you post what they are as this would help in providing feedback on your list?
Andros123

#5 Post by Andros123 »

Hi Grenic.

The comp pack is built around "soft" and "hard" choices. I'm allowed to take 5 hard choices.
High elves hard choices:
- Stardragon counts as 2.
- Frostheart Phoenix (after 1stcount as 2, includingcharacter mounts)
- Book of Hoeth
- Banner of world dragon count as 2
- White Lions of Chrace
- 3+ Eagle claw bolt thrower models in army
- Teclics
- Alariel

I had some time to rethink my army list and I thought about something in the lines of this:

Alarielle

Lvl. 1 light mage
Forbidden rod
Lvl. 2 light mage
Dispel scroll

3xReavers

30 archers
full command

26 white lions
Full command + banner of the world dragon

2x10 swordmasters
One with the flaming banner

2xbolt throwers
eagle
Andrei_Warrior

#6 Post by Andrei_Warrior »

If you want to be competetive with the list, then take Teclis instead of Alariele. Sure he got worse in the new army book compared to the completely overpowered one, and he's toughness 2 or 1 the whole game, but in the correct bunker you can't get to him. Plus you auto pick banishment, so its a 100% that you'll get it, not a 95% with the Alarielle list. If you stick with your Alarielle list, first of all, the BSB is carrying a magic banner so he can't have the golden crown. I would swap the SW for white lions and give them the BotWD, and instead of making one of the mages high magic, just give him Khaine's Ring of Fury (i'm assuming u want high magic for the ward, don't really see another reason to take it with one but not the other). Here is my Teclis Bunker: Alith Anar (goes in one corner), Caradryan (goes in the other corner), BSB (second rank, one side), Lv 2 Mage (second rank, next to BSB), Teclis (2nd rank middle), Your other 2 mages in the second rank, and 38 White Lions, FC, BotWD, 5 wide. I like taking a bunch of Reavers for core to get the opponents war machines, or to chaff up their possible deathstar. With Teclis, you can pretty much cast good spells such as dwellers and pit, not afraid of miscasting because of the BotWD. If your opponent diplells those, then you've got your str 7 banishment! I'm Suggesting the "Teclis Star" because if you're going to a tournament, you're usually trying to be competetive, and it also includes a lot of special characters, which is what you wanted.
Andros123

#7 Post by Andros123 »

@Andrei_Warrior

Thanks for your feedback!
I also considered Teclis, but with the chance of seeing Waystalkers, I'm really nervous about that toughness 2. Are you not worried about your big block getting into combat? I mean you have a lot of low strength attacks from both Alith and the mages behind and with no ward on the lions, they die pretty quick.
pk-ng

#8 Post by pk-ng »

Teclis (Pick Spells)
Alarielle the Radiant
Lothern Sea Helm BSB - Banner of Avelorn
Mage (Light) - Dispel Scroll
Mage (Light) - Forbidden Rod

18 Archers - M
2x 5 Reavers
2x 5 Helms with Shields - M

21 White Lion of Chrace - FCG, BotWD

2x 1 ECBT
2x 1 Great Eagle

Just a cut down from my 2,800 list. Double banishment. If you are not allowed 50% lords then it's pretty much cut Alarielle and the LSH (change to normal BSB); get some Lvl 2s to ensure you get banishment.

To counter Waystalker is all about unit deployment. You can always get some PGs or use the archers and deploy them 1 rank wide infront of the White Lions to grant you Hard Cover. Waystalkers are BS6? Snipe, Long, Hard Cover already 5+ if he moves it's 6+. Plus you have 2 (or 3 depending on the list) banishment per turn on 13+ to cast range 48" compared to his range 30" + M10 = Range 40. With some smart movement and unit placement you can out range him and banishment can threaten the waystalker from afar.
It's all about target priority and deployment.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
Grenic

#9 Post by Grenic »

Andros123 wrote:Hi Grenic.

The comp pack is built around "soft" and "hard" choices. I'm allowed to take 5 hard choices.
High elves hard choices:
- Book of Hoeth
- White Lions of Chrace
- Teclics
- Alariel
Given the restrictions, I would go with a Coven of Light list composed one of two ways:
- Teclis, 19 White Lions with the BotWD, and 4 Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers with 3 Mages (2-2nd and a 1st level) ; or
- Teclis, Alarielle, 19 Swordmasters with the BotWD, and 4 Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers with 2 Mages (both 1st level)

Of these two options, I would lean toward the first option. I think second character set becomes very competitive option at 2800 points or more. Below this level the high character point investment results in the rest of the list being a little to thin and likely will result in the bunker having to be in combat far too often and giving up easy victory points.

I prefer the Teclis only option as having dual S7 Banishment in every turn just out weighs the ward save advantage that you get from going with Alarielle.

In both lists, the Core should be Chaff units that you will mostly use to screen your bunker from attack. Some of these units may be used to hunt war machines. I would also look to include Shadow Warriors to counter units with vanguard.

Coven of Light lists win by controlling the pace of the game and ensuring that a threat can be magic missiled off the board each game turn.
Andrei_Warrior

#10 Post by Andrei_Warrior »

I'm not really worried about it getting into combat as you can always either force through savage beasts or enchanted blades, making them amazing in cc. Either all the characters (including mages) will become combat beasts, or you will be hittin on 2's wounding on 2's with your lions. Or just cast doom and darkness on thair general if those fail, because you probably wont lose the fight
pk-ng

#11 Post by pk-ng »

Grenic wrote:
Andros123 wrote:Hi Grenic.

High elves hard choices:
- Book of Hoeth
- White Lions of Chrace
- Teclics
- Alariel
Given the restrictions, I would go with a Coven of Light list composed one of two ways:
- Teclis, 19 White Lions with the BotWD, and 4 Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers with 3 Mages (2-2nd and a 1st level) ; or
- Teclis, Alarielle, 19 Swordmasters with the BotWD, and 4 Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers with 2 Mages (both 1st level)

Of these two options, I would lean toward the first option. I think second character set becomes very competitive option at 2800 points or more. Below this level the high character point investment results in the rest of the list being a little to thin and likely will result in the bunker having to be in combat far too often and giving up easy victory points.

I prefer the Teclis only option as having dual S7 Banishment in every turn just out weighs the ward save advantage that you get from going with Alarielle.

In both lists, the Core should be Chaff units that you will mostly use to screen your bunker from attack. Some of these units may be used to hunt war machines. I would also look to include Shadow Warriors to counter units with vanguard.

Coven of Light lists win by controlling the pace of the game and ensuring that a threat can be magic missiled off the board each game turn.
Agree.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Andros123

#12 Post by Andros123 »

About the restrictions I forgot to add something.
On top of the hard choices I wrote for high elves you also spend a hard choice for a s6 light council and 2 hard choices for a s7 council and so on.
So if you take white lions with the BotWD, Alarielle, 4 bolt throwers and a s6 light council it will end up being 6 hard choices, and you are only allowed 5.
Having played some games now with Alarielle I think I can do with swordmasters instead of white lions. At least I think it is more important to have 4 bolt throwers than having white lions over swordmasters. I'm not to concerned with the swordmasters not being stubborn, because I simply cannot see them losing a fight with the 5++ and buffs from alarielle.
However with swordmasters, I need something that can reliably take care of heavy amoured stuff. So I will be bringing Alith Anar as well. Having him a 4 bolt throwers should be able to do pose a serious threat.

Btw I played a game the other day with the alarielle list. First lvl. 1 mage swap to the signature spell. The lvl. 2 mage get's Timewarp and net. Then Alarielle goes on a roll a 1, 2 and 3... aahhh! No Banishment. Probability of 2,3% :shock:
Andrei_Warrior

#13 Post by Andrei_Warrior »

thats why i was saying, its better to take teclis if youre playing light council. Otherwise, i mean its your army, if swordsmasters fit you, play swordmasters.
pk-ng

#14 Post by pk-ng »

Better to keep WLs for the stubborn. 3+ against shooting. and high S then to have 4+ RBT. I would personally drop 1 RBT to get under the comp.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board