2500 Tournament Star Dragon

This forum is for 8th edition WHFB Army lists.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

J4far

2500 Tournament Star Dragon

#1 Post by J4far »

Hello everyone! Just played a 3 game tournament with minimal comp this Sunday and pulled off Best General! Only 3rd overall since many of my models are partially or completely unpainted. Thought I would post my list here for comments and I'll add some details about the games later on today.

Lords (924)

634 = Prince - Star Dragon, TOTs, Giant Blade, Golden Crown, Dragonhelm, Heavy Armour, Shield
290 = Archmage - Level 4, Elven Steed, Dispell Scroll, Khaine's Ring of Fury)

Heroes (323)

178 = Noble - BSB, Ithilmar Barded Steed, Banner of the World Dragon, Dragon Armour, Shield, Lance
145 = Noble - Ithilmar Barded Steed, Ogre Blade, Enchanted Shield, Ironcurse Icon, Dragon Armour

Core (633)

398 = 16 Silver Helms - Shields, Full Command
105 = 5 Reavers - Standard, Bows, Spears
130 = 11 Archers - Standard, Musician

Rare (620)

240 = Frostheart Phoenix
70 = Bolt Thrower
70 = Bolt Thrower
70 = Bolt Thrower
50 = Great Eagle
50 = Great Eagle
70 = 5 Sisters of Avelorn

Total (2500)

Each game was a random choice between 2/6 book scenarios with slight amendments, specifically for Blood and Glory/Watchtower you got an extra 500 points for completing the objective instead of auto-win.
John Rainbow

Re: 2500 Tournament Star Dragon

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

Looks decent. Given that you did so well with it I think it would be a lot more interesting and useful for you to make your own comments about what worked and what didn't and in what context this is.
Feeblings

#3 Post by Feeblings »

Looks good. I was wondering how did the units perform especially the archers and the sisters? Have any MVPs?
J4far

#4 Post by J4far »

Couple points of note before I go into how things performed. Scenarios for the 3 games were a random choice between two book scenarios each time. First game was either meeting engagement or pitched battle, second game was watchtower or blood and glory and third was dawn attack/battle for the pass. The scenarios are the main reason I kept archers in core (and gave them a banner) as well as the addition of banner to the Reavers. Gave me fortitude of 6 with breaking point of 3, as well as something core to go into watchtower in case I won the roll for occupation. Additionally Look Out Sir! was allowed against insta-death spells, and the maximum number of models that could occupy a building was 30 (or 10 MI).

As far as the list goes, everything did its job quite well. The archers were an additional drop for deployment and could take of a wound here and there from chaff. The Sisters usually got deployed close to last to try and line up an appropriate target if there was one (anything with regen). Can't really say the archers or sisters were spectacular in any fashion, but they held their own I guess. One huge fail was archers failing to charge the watchtower (needed 4 and rolled 1-1, blocking my Silver Helm bus from full contact with my opponent and denying the possibility of pursuit (didn't matter he held on 1-1).

Bolt throwers tended to focus more on whittling down my opponent's "main" combat block so that a single combo charge of knights/dragon with the phoenix. Eagles did fabulous as always. 100 points well spent there!

I'd have to say the MVP of my games was the knight bus. The Star Dragon and Phoenix were both scary and did their thing, but the knight bus just kept on chugging all day long, and was involved in all large combats. I do have to give props to the Star Dragon and Prince though for chomping through my WoC opponent's Tzeentch Sorc Lord on disk with the ward shenanigans in 2 combat phases! OTS is awesome at stopping that guy.

I'll try to add some specifics about my games later. Game 1 was vs. Skaven (Meeting Engagement), game 2 vs. Bretonnians (Watchtower), game 3 vs. WoC (Dawn Attack).
John Rainbow

#5 Post by John Rainbow »

What magic lore did you run?
J4far

#6 Post by J4far »

High magic for the versatility it offers this list. Whittle hordes down with Fiery Convocation, break their combo/nasty item with Arcane Unforging, heal the dragon with Apotheosis, all the while making the bus a little more resilient. I've thought about changing lores potentially to death or shadow but can't seem to pull myself away from how well High Magic fits this list.